• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzy-4U

Wait what are you saying?
I reached the robot thing that was imprisoning him beneath that big statue of Marcus and defeated the robot, you're saying that it's possible for that quest to go longer?
I couldn't kill the robot and it flew away with Roland to another part of the world.

Atruvius

Already found a glitch. (PS3) The beginning area where u ascend up that tower structure where the mauraders are. I looted a porta potty and I got stuck in place. Couldnt jump, couldn't open up the select menu. It literally said, "CANNOT OPEN MENU" when i hit select.

So...I hit start, quit, and save and quit. I reloaded the game and it took me to the very first town. I lost 4 levels and my weapons.

I had the same thing happen, probably in exactly the same place. Fortunately shooting at the ground with my trusty rocket pistol released me.

Borderlands 2 tried to be funny at me and my friends for two hours. Nobody laughed at all.

This game tries way too hard and thinks it is way funnier than it actually is.

Nevertheless the game is good. I just wish it went back to the less is more approach of the original in terms of humor.

I think more FPS games should be about fun, wacky dialog and awesome weapons instead of boring army shite.

Xanathus

I couldn't kill the robot and it flew away with Roland to another part of the world.
Roland spoilers:
When you say you couldn't kill the robot, where exactly were you trying to kill the robot? Do you mean immediately after he captures Roland from the jail, or do you mean after you fight past a horde of robots and bandits fighting each other past a broken bridge?

I just hit level 15 and I have yet to find a decent usable assault rifle in the game. Most of them chew through ammo with poor DPS. I'm kinda surprised I've been using Jakob "fire as fast as you can pull the trigger" pistols as my go to gun for most situations.

I just hit level 15 and I have yet to find a decent usable assault rifle in the game. Most of them chew through ammo with poor DPS. I'm kinda surprised I've been using Jakob "fire as fast as you can pull the trigger" pistols as my go to gun for most situations.

Indeed. I tended to find assault rifles and machine guns as my go to weapons in BL1. Now I rarely find them, and when I do they are often the kind that shoot really slow rockets and do just OK damage (a little like rocket launchers from BL1). I have been using mostly pistols as well.

Xanathus

Yeah I feel that SMGs and Assault Rifles feel under powered in terms of damage so far and I'm midway through the game. Maybe the other weapons have higher damage to balance out them requiring a bit more skill to use?

Dizzy-4U

Roland spoilers:
When you say you couldn't kill the robot, where exactly were you trying to kill the robot? Do you mean immediately after he captures Roland from the jail, or do you mean after you fight past a horde of robots and bandits fighting each other past a broken bridge?
Roland:
After the whole invasion. I reached the end, below Marcus's statue, I had to shoot the robot's eye to lower it's shield but I think I was a little underleveled because my weapons didn't do much damage. Time passed, it flew away and I had to warp to another area. I quit the game after that, so I dunno where he went.

Truant

If I remember correctly, the differnt classes had bonuses to certain weapon types? Like one guy did more damage with revolvers and stuff.

Is this still in?

alba

Little is the new Big

Agreed completely, a shame really. I've done the exact same as you. Jakob pistol & Jakob shotgun, lol =P

So how is Zer0's skill? Fun to use, useable?

I've been playing close-quarters combat Zer0 and its a blast. You move super fast around an area and its flashy. I will say I sometimes struggled in the early going, but eventually learned a good rhythm. I don't have the final point in bloodshed, but the idea of being permanently cloaked seem perfectly reasonable. Right now a cloaked critical melee strike on any target except bosses and loaders instantly dies.

If I'm going to be primarily soloing this, are there any classes I just should not use? Or are they balanced enough that I can have fun with any of them?

glaurung

If I'm going to be primarily soloing this, are there any classes I just should not use? Or are they balanced enough that I can have fun with any of them?
The soldier is definitely more geared toward solo play.

Having a pop-up autocannon that track enemies is a life saver.

Granted, all classes can solo the entire content. It's down to how much time you want to spend hiding behind cover and regenerating shields.

Torraz

The soldier is definitely more geared toward solo play.

Having a pop-up autocannon that track enemies is a life saver.

Granted, all classes can solo the entire content. It's down to how much time you want to spend hiding behind cover and regenerating shields.

Is the solider better for soloing than the gunzerker? It seems I am indeed mostly sitting behind walls taking potshots because anything else is asking to be mowed down, solo...

I've been playing close-quarters combat Zer0 and its a blast. You move super fast around an area and its flashy. I will say I sometimes struggled in the early going, but eventually learned a good rhythm. I don't have the final point in bloodshed, but the idea of being permanently cloaked seem perfectly reasonable. Right now a cloaked critical melee strike on any target except bosses and loaders instantly dies.

Are you Zeroin' on your lonesome, Empty Space, or with others? Assassin is the class that I'm most attracted to, but seeing as I'll most likely be flying solo, I'm a bit apprehensive to use it, as it doesn't pack as much as heat as some of the others.

Oh. My God.

Who has got to the TWIST yet?

Anthony Burch is a FUCKING GENIUS.

Jesus.

It just ended.

That entire scene.

Better than ANYTHING in Half-Life 2.

Shots fired.

Gearbox just became a PLAYER.

Are you Zeroin' on your lonesome, Empty Space, or with others? Assassin is the class that I'm most attracted to, but seeing as I'll most likely be flying solo, I'm a bit apprehensive to use it, as it doesn't pack as much as heat as some of the others.

The melee Zer0 has been played solo with a couple of exception. It works for the most part, but on occasion i have to use a sniper for a couple of aerial enemies and the boss fights.

Alex

I'm about eight to ten hours deep so far, I'm still really taken back by just how much they improved in this reiteration. Such a beautiful, polished, well tuned game compared to the jank of the original which was really flying largely off the concept. Replaying Borderlands right before Borderlands 2 really puts this in perspective, especially when you play the same class and go from a makeshift mess to something truly proper.

Probably going to wind up my game of the year whereas I wasn't even planning to buy it until a Steam sale a few weeks ago. Funny how that turned out.

Raxious

so ummmmmm, is it me or does your progress not get saved when steam is in offline mode? I have to continue at lvl 8...was lvl 12 yesterday...

Alex

The driving is probably the least improved element, but it's still improved enough to remove most bits of frustration, it's generally tighter and easier to turn and the much larger areas help with that as well. I still really enjoy the few vehicle sections, nice change of pace with two rolling in a co-op game and the weapons and impact all feel very nice.

I did PC for both games, but I've only ever used the controller, though.

Largest complaint: they fucked up the horn. The horn in the original was perfect.

Driving is fine. Maybe it's because I played a lot of Halo, but it's the exact same driving model, just much faster.

Halo, however, has more weight to it's Warthog... well if I recall correctly, I haven't played a Halo game in a very long time, but weight is something Borderlands could use more of for it's vehicles.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
What I'm currently using atm: Mobility focused Salvador.
VOD for today: http://www.twitch.tv/vggaming/b/332682352

Items list: http://imgur.com/a/EVbiy
Crown jewel being this 'Sniper Rifle' that has carried me super hard. Mod fires 3 bullets instead of 1 in a tri shape. Dem stats. Almost no recoil. Perfect accuracy. Hits like a truck crits or not. Triple damage vs close targets from the extra bullets.

You can get it from
some quest about digging up a buried guy in an unmarked grave
Unless I was lucky and it's random?
jNfI8h.jpg

d00d3n

So how is Zer0's skill? Fun to use, useable?

If you find a decent rifle and start upgrading the marksman skill path, there is really no need to use the active skill on common enemies. It is really useful on bosses and for escaping difficult situations though. If you like to deploy the active skill all the time, Zer0's seems like one of the toughest to get "in the rhythm" of using.

Man this thread moves fast. Game started out slow but I'm really digging it right now. Level 11 Siren.

I don't like what they did to the driving though, somehow they took the fun out of it. The Runner doesn't control as well or something, can't put my finger on it. Hopefully they can patch it.

Otherwise, great game.

Edit: Damn, I see driving has already been bitched about lol

Man this thread moves fast. Game started out slow but I'm really digging it right now. Level 11 Siren.

I don't like what they did to the driving though, somehow they took the fun out of it. The Runner doesn't control as well or something, can't put my finger on it. Hopefully they can patch it.

Otherwise, great game.
I find the driving to be substantially better than the first. Its not perfect, but it is better. In my opinion. I'm playing on PC and I think it just clicked with me.

jgminto

Can't wait to play this tomorrow! I've watched the first half hour of the game so many times, I'll be able to do it blindfolded.

Also Hazaro:
Is this as amazing as it sounds? I'm so glad the grenades are more complex than the original.

I chose assassin, I'm really not that far into the game yet but I've found it fairly easy so far... all I do is slowly progress through each zone with sniper rifle and take guys out from far away as much as I can.

Unless the enemies aim gets a hundred times better from that distance or they start rushing you from previously cleared areas (behind) I can see this working for most of the game. I always prefer sniping in FPS, since Q3A/UT but I admit it can be a bit of a boring way to progress it almost feels like cheating.

One area of annoyance is that, for some reason, my logitech anywhere mx doesn't seem to ever let me change the wheel from free wheeling to clicky so it's sometimes tough to switch weapons with it. Guess that's not the games fault though.

McLovin

One of the bosses fell in a strange position and I couldn't get his gun to complete the mission. Left(traveled) and came back to see if I could fight him again. The other bad guys respawned but he came back dead and neatly placed in an accessible spot. I'm so glad they thought of this.

Izayoi

Banned
One of the bosses fell in a strange position and I couldn't get his gun to complete the mission. Left(traveled) and came back to see if I could fight him again. The other bad guys respawned but he came back dead and neatly placed in an accessible spot. I'm so glad they thought of this.
If it really came down to it, you could save and quit and then resume to make everything (including the boss) respawn.

Jawmuncher

While I have been reading reviews I wanted to take some of GAFs impressions on the game.

Mainly was there any one here that wasn't a big fan of the first but is enjoying 2 a lot more?
I played 2 with a bud and the whole time it was a pretty mediocre expierence. Which I blame a lot to the story. Since it never felt like real motivation was there besides lets loot stuff.
Though what I have been reading definetly interests me, since it sounds like most of my issues with the game had been fixed. Though just wanted some final impressions from you all.

If it really came down to it, you could save and quit and then resume to make everything (including the boss) respawn.

On the mission to kill midgetmon, I killed him he was dead on the ground but the bullymong part ran away and was nowhere to be found and the mission wouldn't end. I left and came back and everything restarted from scratch and I had to do the whole thing over again.

JChalmers

Neo Member
Used the VPN last night (ended up going back to Spotflux, will look tonight about getting my normal internet settings back tonight) ended up playing 5 hours non-stop with Zero!

Absolutely loving it, everything seems like they've been tweaked for the better.

Some of the weapons are amazing, I'm finding alot of rocket based assault rifles though and hardly any SMGs.

Not too sure on Zero at the moment but playing as a Sniper, loving throwing out a decoy leaving the countdown for ages and then critting a headshot for huge damage in the last second.

Going to try Maya and Axton tonight and see what's the deal with them.....

Salvador doesn't seem to get my interest at all.

Started playing the game last night (thanks everyone for the VPN trick) :)

Played all the way through Sanctuary. I`m using Zer0 (got to lvl 9).

So far, I am LOVING the game!!!! :D

Its just like BL1, but better in every way.

Love how every gun is so different from the other.

Using Zer0`s skill was tough at first, but now I got the hang of it.

I`m investing in the melee build for him, and now that I have a sniper rifle that does +50% melee damage, my Deception melee attack is killing everything in sight (including bosses lol). :p

I just cant get enough of this game. I cant believe Im gonna have to wait all day to play again. :(

Used the VPN last night (ended up going back to Spotflux, will look tonight about getting my normal internet settings back tonight) ended up playing 5 hours non-stop with Zero!

Absolutely loving it, everything seems like they've been tweaked for the better.

Some of the weapons are amazing, I'm finding alot of rocket based assault rifles though and hardly any SMGs.

Not too sure on Zero at the moment but playing as a Sniper, loving throwing out a decoy leaving the countdown for ages and then critting a headshot for huge damage in the last second.

Going to try Maya and Axton tonight and see what's the deal with them.....

Salvador doesn't seem to get my interest at all.

Sorry for the double post, but we are almost exactly the same. I just prefer my melee Zer0. :D

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So found a hidden symbol hidden by a ladder in Caustic Cavern... Said I got one of two and looked Easter Egg/secretish... Any idea what this is about or where the other is?

Raxious

for those thinking about using a different VPN. After the mess Spotflux gave me, I used HideIPVPN.

anyway, I found out the problem. Ofcourse my savegame doesn't get saved online when im in offline mode ^^'

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
So if you equip a Mod that gives +damage with a weapon, it doesn't update or show the damage increase anywhere?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Also Hazaro:

Is this as amazing as it sounds? I'm so glad the grenades are more complex than the original.
No since it seems the DoT lasts much much shorter due to fragmenting into smaller grenades?

It's not as obvious as using a DoT nade for the first time and watching numbers spew out everywhere.

I just arrived at Sancutary in the air.
Is this considered act 2 or 3? I'd like to know how much more there is to go so I can properly organize my sidequests vs. main quest progression.

Ok so played some more with the vpn on.

I could not find my stats screen?
is it gone from the first game.

You konw, witch gun did you use the most, how much staps did you take, how much money is spend. time played etc.

Where can I find that menu?

Ok so played some more with the vpn on.

I could not find my stats screen?
is it gone from the first game.

You konw, witch gun did you use the most, how much staps did you take, how much money is spend. time played etc.

Where can I find that menu?

I`d like to know that too. I loved checking my stats on BL1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom