• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamster126

Neo Member
Hey i played borderlands one and had some problems with hit detection online....i would shoot and it would take a few seconds before the bullet would hit. Is this a problem at all in borderlands 2? Has there been any trouble with the online play? I will be playing on ps3

My grenade button is mapped as a side button on my mouse, so it makes for a easy e-brake when driving. I had some awesome tokyo drifting going on last night when I was playing co-op. I love boosting as fast as possible at something and doing an e brake slide and perfectly stopping right in front of it or right on the edge of a cliff. So great.

This game is so insanely good co-op with three other friends all on mics.

I love the physx effects, but I am torn when using Maya since I can't see so well when sniping a Phaselocked enemy. I kind of like the challenge because Phaselocking an enemy from certain angles helps reveal different parts of their body, that being said, Phaselock is fucking awesome! Can't wait to get the Phaselock revived fallen comrade skill. It is going to be so helpful.

My two favorite play styles with Maya in co op were, Phaselock to control the battle from afar, landing careful crit hits with my sniper rifle and killing the enemy to rain health on my friends. This outside observer is very handy with the health orbs skill and a good sniper rifle. The other is get an insane shotgun, decent shield and be a Phaselock bum rusher. Phaselock a dude, and just run up and unload your shotty point blank. The health orbs then help heal you if you took damage or heal others.

Edit: Having seen some better shields with a variety of effects, getting a high damage and AOE sheild deplete effect woudl perfectly compliment the Phaselock bum rusher play style. Oh man, and that with converge. You could be your own running nuke!

Mikeside

iboZtudgyLM6R.jpg

Has there been any discussion yet on how bad the Gunzerker class sucks. Because god damn does he suck. I wanted to like him, I tried to like him, but after playing him for 10 levels I couldn't take anymore. I also got a Commando and Assassin to level 10, so I have something to compare him to.

His special ability is horrible. Your weapons are so grossly inaccurate while Zerking you don't do any damage unless you're literally point-blank. But then when you're point-blank you don't nearly have the survivability to last, so I was constantly dying. After awhile I just resorted to using the Zerk to refresh health and ammo between encounters.

The Commando and Assassin are great.

Drazgul

Has there been any discussion yet on how bad the Gunzerker class sucks. Because god damn does he suck. I wanted to like him, I tried to like him, but after playing him for 10 levels I couldn't take anymore. I also got a Commando and Assassin to level 10, so I have something to compare him to.

How can you judge a character when it's still at lvl 10 (both of your main complaints can be addressed with proper skill point allocation)? You've barely any talents so really you're just comparing the baseline skills with each other. Who knows how the Commando and Assassin scale up later on (in Borderlands 1 the turret SUCKED at high levels) - with the gunzerker, it's guaranteed to do so since you always have access to better weapons.

Kydd BlaZe

Sooooooogood.gif

This game has me hooked just as much as the first did. Could barely pull myself away from my Xbox. I'm at work right now feeling like a mindless zombie in desperate need of a serious Borderlands 2 fix.

...Stupid work :(

I've never really noticed that - it phaselocks bosses, so my life is pretty complete. :)

Knifing bosses in the back while in Deception is better :p

This game has me hooked just as much as the first did. Could barely pull myself away from my Xbox. I'm at work right now feeling like a mindless zombie in desperate need of a serious Borderlands 2 fix.

...Stupid work :(

Me too! I want it to be nighttime already :(

How can you judge a character when it's still at lvl 10 (both of your main complaints can be addressed with proper skill point allocation)? You've barely any talents so really you're just comparing the baseline skills with each other. Who knows how the Commando and Assassin scale up later on (in Borderlands 1 the turret SUCKED at high levels) - with the gunzerker, it's guaranteed to do so since you always have access to better weapons.

I'm at level 17 eith Gunzerker right now and it's a riot. At early levels, Gunzerking sucks, but when you upgrade it with the accuracy skill and when you get the ammo awards its awesome. You can Gunzerk for a long time (I upgraded the Gunzerking to last +15s) and have practically infinite ammo. This is in the Rampage skill tree, btw.

ObiDin

His special ability is horrible. Your weapons are so grossly inaccurate while Zerking you don't do any damage unless you're literally point-blank. But then when you're point-blank you don't nearly have the survivability to last, so I was constantly dying. After awhile I just resorted to using the Zerk to refresh health and ammo between encounters.

The Commando and Assassin are great.

Completely disagree. I have a level 13 'zerker-Hoarder(team ammo regen FTW) and I love it. Gunzerking works great with any weapon I have used it with so far(pistols, shotty's, combat rifles and sniper rifles all work great). In my co-op group I hardly ever end up dying, gotten tons of second winds and now that I have ammo regen we don't have to open all the ammo chests anymore. Love it, completely different gameplay than the assassin(which I love as well).

Drazgul

I'm at level 17 eith Gunzerker right now and it's a riot. At early levels, Gunzerking sucks, but when you upgrade it with the accuracy skill and when you get the ammo awards its awesome. You can Gunzerk for a long time (I upgraded the Gunzerking to last +15s) and have practically infinite ammo. This is in the Rampage skill tree, btw.

So you went with Inconceivable rather than Filled to the Brim? How often does that thing proc?

MattyH

is the premiere club code in the case then beacuse ive not had a email from shopto saying theres a code available to redeem

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yesssssssssssss!!!!

Why fight each other when we can fight together? :)

This is how my friend and I were running - I would Phaselock and he would melee wreck. I imagine a Gunzerker thrown in would also be misery for the enemies. Phaselock is such an incredibly useful skill both solo and co-op. The combos you can pull off are crazy awesome.

O, when I got to Sanctuary I couldnt resist and opened the golden chest.

I got 2 shields. :/

One is very weak (120), but has amazing recharge and tiny delay.

Another is powerful (492), but makes me lose about 80 health.

Which one should I use?

robot

12 hour run yesterday - game is aweeeesome.

Commando is awesome, though I miss some of his team benefit stuff from the original - shooting partners to heal, turrent producing protective dome, etc. Love throwing grenades in Mayas phaselock bubble!

And competitive looting is the best way to play. One of my partners actually died on a loot chest trying to grab guns while fighting an army, it was hilarious.

So my Apartment's office finally opend and I got BL2 installed and started playing. I have a question... Has Claptrap lost his mind? He seems so much more senile in this game than the last one

It's a shame that Zerking is fundamentally broken and you have to spend skill points to fix it, where as with the other classes I feel like I can spend my skill points to compliment different play styles.

But maybe I'll try putting some more time into him - who knows. He does look pretty badass.

I was putting all of my points into Tank for more health, but it didn't seem to help much.

SO!

Started with Maya. After the trailer there was no way I couldn't.

I'm at 7, just started "The Road To..."

Few things:

-The reference to
Breaking Bad was good fun the first three times, now I've heard so much I may never be able to watch it again.

And that's my only complaint about the game so far.

I played 1 with a Mordecai and a six shooter and was quite content. With Maya, I'm really enjoying lots of weapons, and that's a testament to the INCREDIBLE gun design of this game.

It sounds weird and silly, and maybe I'm still in mourning, but it really reminds of WipEout. So much personality in the visual design and conceit behind each manufacturer, it really makes them (for me at least) the focus of the game experience. I less want to explore Maya's skill tree and more just want to try every goddamned gun.

I have this one repeater, red, with FUCKING TURBINES for ammo cartridges. IT IS THE BOSSEST GUN EVER. Shoots for shit, but I can't stop using it.

I'm sure Maya will level up soon to the point where she's as fun as the guns, but right now I'm in awe at the design.

It's why I don't mind dying/respawning. I get that ILLEST shot of me holding my ill guns.

THIS GAME.

Big thanks to Gearbox. This game is amazing. I thought I loved Borderlands, but 2 outclasses it in every way. The gun models are fantastic. The humor is spot on. I can't wait to get back home and start playing again!

I'm still trying to get my pre-order bonuses worked out and even that hasn't dampened my spirits because the game is so great to play.

Thank you to everyone involved in making this game!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Which one should I use?

I've found that I prefer a higher shield over a high recharge and delay. Your shield won't recharge if you're taking damage, so the higher capacity should allow you to run for cover while still maintaining max health.

Remember, shields regenerate, health does not!

E: Idea? Try both! Go clear a reasonably tough area with one (Southpaw Steam & Power comes to mind), and then clear it again with the other. See which kept you alive "easiest".

RS4-

Which one should I use?

492. Losing 80HP is nothing compared to the +370 you get on the shield.

Can this be played solo? I don't have any friends on PC and playing with anons will probably make the experience worse.

Yeah. Just makes things easier/harder depending on which hunter you choose.

So you went with Inconceivable rather than Filled to the Brim? How often does that thing proc?

I don't really know, but I have Inconceivable at level 5 (50% chance) and 5 shots or 6, with 700 machine gun bullets in inventory and I never get out of bullets. Or any sort of ammo really, expect launchers sometimes (18 in inventory).

I've also found an orange infinite ammo pistol after killing
the boss in the Dr. Zed
. Too bad the quest bugged on me, so when I went back to it and got the gun it was useless.

So my Apartment's office finally opend and I got BL2 installed and started playing. I have a question... Has Claptrap lost his mind? He seems so much more senile in this game than the last one

When he got disconnected from the Hyperion network he lost the ability to internalize, so now whatever he thinks he says. The whole game is still crazy. The things Tiny Tina says make claptrap look tame.

Which one should I use?

492 and get health increase from the badass rank if you like :p

I've found that I prefer a higher shield over a high recharge and delay. Your shield won't recharge if you're taking damage, so the higher capacity should allow you to run for cover while still maintaining max health.

My thought as well.

The only thing that makes me wonder is that the 120 one has a 1 sec delay. So if I manage to avoid damage for a sec, it will recharge again.

I switched to a purple shield last night that had very low actual shield but the recharge rate and delay were ridiculous. It would get knocked down and then almost instantly be refilled.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I switched to a purple shield last night that had very low actual shield but the recharge rate and delay were ridiculous. It would get knocked down and then almost instantly be refilled.

This is why I tossed in my stealth edit. I want to try one to see how it fairs in a high fire zone!

Since my Commando regains health while shields are full, I much prefer recharge/delay on him. So it's good that there are valid choices for both kinds of shields.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Since my Commando regains health while shields are full, I much prefer recharge/delay on him. So it's good that there are valid choices for both kinds of shields.

I wish I had health regen...I hate running around with 15 health and full shield. I get into "Fight For Your Life" on purpose all the time, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom