• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razek

Banned
I'm sad they took out weapon proficiencies. There is really nothing stopping the player from just using the best gun they pick up now unlike the first game.

joelseph

My gripes with the game so far:

Early builds feel weak.

The multiplayer loot system is outdated.

Reviving a fallen teammate takes too long.

No weapon proficiency.

Is there like a "Borderlands 2 Basics" article somewhere on the net, that goes over like, vending machines and the different stats on guns, badass points, all the kind of thing that newbies need drilled into their head?

Need it for a few friends who I finally convinced to get BL2 after always talking about Borderlands. They were a little frustrated/overwhelmed last night.

Teknoman

I'm sad they took out weapon proficiencies. There is really nothing stopping the player from just using the best gun they pick up now unlike the first game.

Thats part of the fun. Kinda felt too restricting before, and you'll still end up having a favorite gun type that fits your play style.

Santiako

That's the point, and I love it. I hated having to stick with one kind of weapon in the first game.

joelseph

Is there like a "Borderlands 2 Basics" article somewhere on the net, that goes over like, vending machines and the different stats on guns, badass points, all the kind of thing that newbies need drilled into their head?

Need it for a few friends who I finally convinced to get BL2 after always talking about Borderlands. They were a little frustrated/overwhelmed last night.

I recommend newbies play the game solo until
Sanctuary
. I am assuming they are starting co-op immediately and that is always frustrating as a newbie playing with old hands, no matter the game.

Gav47

Got my first orange
T1Sx2.jpg

Even at level 13 its kicking ass. Makes me wish the game had a weapons upgrade system like Darksiders 2.

My gripes with the game so far:

Early builds feel weak.

The multiplayer loot system is outdated.

Reviving a fallen teammate takes too long.

No weapon proficiency.

You're right about the early builds. They lack that initial oomph that WoW succeeded in giving its build system in Cataclysm. It takes 5-10 levels minimum before it feels like they start to matter. A better system would give you some immediate, noticeable bonuses in the theme of the tree.

I love the competitive loot system. I hate to use old fashioned MMO terminology, but the new D3 system is very carebear in my opinion. I like being able to hoover up all the good loot if I'm quick on the draw (even though I'm playing with friends). It's fun to yell at each other over it and get mad.

Ehh, revive seems fine to me. It adds some risk/reward elements to death.

If we want to talk about outdated mechanics, look no further than weapon proficiencies. A relic of the earlier days of WoW when you had to laboriously level up a weapon skill if you switched to a new kind of weapon, the game is better off without it. The badass system that they replaced it with does feel slightly weak though. The bonuses are just too small to really be noticeable.

Davedough

I'm a low level (10) Zer0 and his Decepti0n just doesn't click with me. I played Mordecai in the first one and Bloodwing was awesome. I cant really figure out how to use Decepti0n effectively other than sneaking away when my shields are gone and health is low.

I've been specing kind of strangely, I have 2 in melee damage, 2 in critical damage and 1 in reload speed. I usually use the Decepti0n to sneak up on powerful enemies, wait until I see 0.xx on his counter then back stab with the melee button for the "up to 650% damage" but it doesn't seem to be really all that powerful.

What am I missing?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
On that same note, is there a list (not video) of gun manufacturers and their specific "perks" (Jakob: one shot, one tap; etc)?
Borderlands wiki might be helpful there. Some FPS site put up articles for nearly all the manufacturers though. I remember some:

Tediore: Thrown like grenades upon reload, damage depends on ammo left in clip (fully emptied still does damage)
Torgue: All rounds are explosive, generally smaller clip sizes.
Jakobs: Fire rate as fast as you can shoot.
Bandits: Largest clip sizes of all guns.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Man, it's a good thing this game doesn't have instanced loot. I was afraid I'd enjoy playing with other people.

I like playing random pub games when my friends aren't on, but I basically can't do that now, because in random games, pubs steal EVERYTHING, and don't give a shit if they even use that weapon.

Xanathus

Oh god there are sooooo many side quests in the game, I'm starting to get sick of em because I've been trying to do all of them since they have interesting voice acting and plot but some of them involve way too much travelling around by foot and car.

Co-op is a fucking crazy-town orgy of shooting and looting.

I played with three other guys last night and we put some serious time together into the first Borderlands. We found it all a bit overwhelming as a co-op experience.

TIP - Play about four or five hours of single-player to get a feel for everything. Get to Sanctuary and explore it by themselves. They won't need an article after that.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Anyone else having a major issue with running out of ammo early in this game? Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, it's a good thing this game doesn't have instanced loot. I was afraid I'd enjoy playing with other people.

I like playing random pub games when my friends aren't on, but I basically can't do that now, because in random games, pubs steal EVERYTHING, and don't give a shit if they even use that weapon.

Yup. Sort of a silly design choice. I get the idea Gearbox was going for, but it's SO discouraging. I have no desire to do pub runs of anything at all.

Gotchaye

I'm a low level (10) Zer0 and his Decepti0n just doesn't click with me. I played Mordecai in the first one and Bloodwing was awesome. I cant really figure out how to use Decepti0n effectively other than sneaking away when my shields are gone and health is low.

I've been specing kind of strangely, I have 2 in melee damage, 2 in critical damage and 1 in reload speed. I usually use the Decepti0n to sneak up on powerful enemies, wait until I see 0.xx on his counter then back stab with the melee button for the "up to 650% damage" but it doesn't seem to be really all that powerful.

What am I missing?

Try doing it with a +% melee damage weapon. I'm pretty sure all of these bonuses are multiplicative. Once you hit 16 and can put a point in Execute it may also become a bit more powerful. But I was finding that I was able to one-shot pretty much any non-Badass enemy with a melee attack out of a full-length Deception. Note that melee attacks can also crit.

Yup. Sort of a silly design choice. I get the idea Gearbox was going for, but it's SO discouraging. I have no desire to do pub runs of anything at all.
Yeah, I played in a group from here through level 8 or so, where nobody's going to feel bad about loot ninjas because there's just not much great loot to ninja. But I've been solo since then.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Anyone else having a major issue with running out of ammo early in this game? Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Yeah, that's a thing that happens. It's pretty stupid, but you won't have that issue once you get past Liar's Berg.

ParityBit

Yep. Major hit on the game in my mind.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Are you running and gunning? If so, yeah - you're doing it wrong. Aim your shots with secondary and use a variety of guns. Also, avoid the guns that shoot multiple bullets right now.

E: I'm level 11 and just cleared out the power plant. No issues so far. Make sure you open ALL the containers, too. Explore explore explore. It's health I have trouble finding...Ammo, though? It's everywhere.

Filth

The way I've been using zero with the snipe tree. There's a skill in the middle of the tree that shows critical hit locations while stealthed. That works really well during boss fights because the head is not always the weak spot. You could sue the stealth skill in co op when a teammate dies you can revive in stealth and have all the aggro go after your hologram. I really only see the snipe tree and melle tree worth it. The middle tree is meh.

Xanathus

Yeah, that's a thing that happens. It's pretty stupid, but you won't have that issue once you get past Liar's Berg.
Gunzerker never has that problem because you regen ammo with whatever weapons you have equipped when gunzerking. So all you have to do is just gunzerk while running around out of combat and you're always nearly full. The regen is good enough that I don't see any point in getting those ammo regening/consumption skills.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Weapon profiency is stupid and also it is handled in your badass rank stuff.
Yeah I'm really happy it's gone TBH, especially in the kind of game Borderlands is. I usually don't give a fuck about Snipers in FPSs but Borderlands makes them fun. I enjoy using the wide range of weapons in the game, especially since the loot is delivered similarly.

thetrin

Pretty much. I'm actively avoiding public games because lack of instanced loot does several things:

1) Forces teammates to avoid objectives and enemies and make a beeline for loot before someone gets it

2) Grinds friends to a halt because they stop for 5 minutes to decide on who should take what.

3) Stifles trading by allowing you to merely steal items before people get to them

4) Discourages sniping, since anyone using a pistol, SMG or AR automatically has a better chance of getting items than you do, due to proximity.

5) Discourages healing and reviving teammates once loot drops from dead enemies, since reviving a teammate might mean another teammate will merely steal the loot from under your nose.

6) Discourages actually looking at tooltips before picking up loot, because doing so ensures that another teammate will come over, mass loot, and run to the next objective.

Sure, if you're all friends this is fine, but my friends are not at my beck and call to play the game. Sometimes they're doing something else, and I just want to play with some people. Diablo 3 has plenty of problems, but one thing they really did right was instancing loot. It makes pub games smoother, it doesn't get in the way of cooperation, and if you really want to give someone something, you can just drop it on the ground or trade, no questions asked.

Gunzerker never has that problem because you regen ammo with whatever weapons you have equipped when gunzerking. So all you have to do is just gunzerk while running around out of combat and you're always nearly full. The regen is good enough that I don't see any point in getting those ammo regening/consumption skills.

That really doesn't solve the problem for the 3 other classes that have to play through that starting area. As a commando, I had to pistol whip the first boss to death because I ran out of ammo.

Gotchaye

The way I've been using zero with the snipe tree. There's a skill in the middle of the tree that shows critical hit locations while stealthed. That works really well during boss fights because the head is not always the weak spot. You could sue the stealth skill in co op when a teammate dies you can revive in stealth and have all the aggro go after your hologram. I really only see the snipe tree and melle tree worth it. The middle tree is meh.

You take that back!

5 points in Reload Speed and Weapon Swap Speed are never wasted. There's a Backstab skill that works for guns. Rising Shot is an incredible damage steroid (with a class mod, I'm doing +70% damage with every bullet after the first 5 from my SMG). Death Mark is respectable if not as impressive as Bore or Execute. Innervate is health regen and move speed in stealth, which anyone who played Lilith in the first game is probably missing badly. Two Fang is a huge fire rate boost which is multiplicative with other fire rate boosts. I haven't gotten to try the bottom skill yet.

I'm thinking about getting this game and I'm just hoping somebody else that was undecided on it could help advise me. I missed out on the first Borderlands at release and got the Game of the Year edition but ended up quitting the game after the first playthrough without having done much of the DLCs. I enjoyed the game but the quests really diluted my interest in the game. I've heard that Borderlands 2 has vastly improved the quest system but I'm still hesitant to pick it up (but then I'm concerned that if I wait a few months I'll have missed out of the online play on PSN [since my Gold ran out and I don't plan on renewing it just for Borderlands 2 should I get it] and I'll repeat what happened with the original). Can anybody who has been in a similar situation advise me as to what you think of the game? Although in saying that another problem I have is that the pre-order DLC makes me feel that if I don't buy it on release date I just shouldn't buy it until a few months pass (at which point I can buy the game and the DLC for less than what it is at release date) but then that leads me back to the previous problem so I'm hoping somebody can convince me it's worth it.

Coconut

Banned
Yeah I'm really happy it's gone TBH, especially in the kind of game Borderlands is. I usually don't give a fuck about Snipers in FPSs but Borderlands makes them fun. I enjoy using the wide range of weapons in the game, especially since the loot is delivered similarly.

I haven't noticed if specific classes get a boost with different weapon types like in the first one Roland got a boost with machine guns and shotties.

what's the shield do?

the gun
is annoying as fuck. AI talks even when you don't have the gun out.. basically non stop. the gun is pretty good but I can't get past the AI talking all the time. even talks over quest dialogue...

high base shield (like 450), low cool down (~3) and high rate of charge (like 45)? Best part is no health penalty, so @ level 12 my health + armor is about 1000 combined. I haven't had it equipped long enough to hear him talking...hopefully he doesn't. :(

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Pretty much. I'm actively avoiding public games because lack of instanced loot does several things:

1) Forces teammates to avoid objectives and enemies and make a beeline for loot before someone gets it

2) Grinds friends to a halt because they stop for 5 minutes to decide on who should take what.

3) Stifles trading by allowing you to merely steal items before people get to them

4) Discourages sniping, since anyone using a pistol, SMG or AR automatically has a better chance of getting items than you do, due to proximity.

5) Discourages healing and reviving teammates once loot drops from dead enemies, since reviving a teammate might mean another teammate will merely steal the loot from under your nose.

I didn't even think of number 5. The rest are why grinding end-game in D2 on any mode but solo was miserable. I would like to hear why Gearbox decided to do it. Old school loot rushing wasn't even that fun "back in the day". PSO red box with a Handgun: Milla drop? lolhunter gets it - he's closest! D2 SoJ drop? loltrapsin don't get it, you too far!

-_-

Davedough

I'm thinking about getting this game and I'm just hoping somebody else that was undecided on it could help advise me. I missed out on the first Borderlands at release and got the Game of the Year edition but ended up quitting the game after the first playthrough without having done much of the DLCs. I enjoyed the game but the quests really diluted my interest in the game. I've heard that Borderlands 2 has vastly improved the quest system but I'm still hesitant to pick it up (but then I'm concerned that if I wait a few months I'll have missed out of the online play on PSN [since my Gold ran out and I don't plan on renewing it just for Borderlands 2 should I get it] and I'll repeat what happened with the original). Can anybody who has been in a similar situation advise me as to what you think of the game? Although in saying that another problem I have is that the pre-order DLC makes me feel that if I don't buy it on release date I just shouldn't buy it until a few months pass (at which point I can buy the game and the DLC for less than what it is at release date) but then that leads me back to the previous problem so I'm hoping somebody can convince me it's worth it.

I've been excited about both games, so I'm a bit biased, but honestly... if you had a problem with the quests in the first one, you're going to have a problem with quests in the second one. I don't personally see much difference.

thetrin

Why are decent ARs so hard to find in this game? I found them by the boatload in BL1, but I've gotten maybe 2 ARs total in the 12 levels I've played so far. Maybe it's just the RNG at work.

I didn't even think of number 5. The rest are why grinding end-game in D2 on any mode but solo was miserable. I would like to hear why Gearbox decided to do it. Old school loot rushing wasn't even that fun "back in the day". PSO red box with a Handgun: Milla drop? lolhunter gets it - he's closest! D2 SoJ drop? loltrapsin don't get it, you too far!

-_-

maybe some people enjoy it, but I certainly don't. I don't really understand why you would want to enrage people who want to play a certain way, when it's supposed to be a cooperative game.

The regen is good enough that I don't see any point in getting those ammo regening/consumption skills.

Those skills aren't about conserving ammo; they apply to your current clip so you often never have to reload. I like the feeling of playing right on the edge with the gunzerker. When you're low on health and have those skills, you can basically shoot forever. This extends into the downed state, which makes it really hard to die because you never ever have to reload. I don't even have the skills all maxed yet, and I also don't have any bonuses to them, but at some point I feel like reloading could become a thing of the past.

Drazgul

The regen is good enough that I don't see any point in getting those ammo regening/consumption skills.

But gunzerking itself doesn't regen ammo, does it? You'll still need the talents.

Ah it does, skills just make it even better:

Additionally, he gains 50% of his health back at the beginning of Gunzerking, and regenerates Health over time while the Skill is being used. Furthermore, he perpetually regenerates ammo of every kind (excluding Rockets) while in the process of Gunzerking.

Gotchaye

I haven't noticed if specific classes get a boost with different weapon types like in the first one Roland got a boost with machine guns and shotties.

I've seen a lot of pistol and sniper class mods for Zero. Axton has a lot of assault rifle mods. But I'm not sure if I've seen only those types or if it's just that the other types are rarer. There are definitely artifacts that give bonuses to particular weapon types and which aren't class-restricted.

Why are decent ARs so hard to find in this game? I found them by the boatload in BL1, but I've gotten maybe 2 ARs total in the 12 levels I've played so far. Maybe it's just the RNG at work.

Yeah, that's weird. I was finding nothing but pistols and ARs through the early game. Saw something like 2 SMGs drop total through level 10, and both were crappy. But got an orange AR at level 4 which I was using until level 15.

joelseph

6) Discourages actually looking at tooltips before picking up loot, because doing so ensures that another teammate will come over, mass loot, and run to the next objective.

7) No weapon proficiency strengthens the idea of "Loot NOW, look later."

I still only enjoy playing this game in multiplayer, but yeah, multiplayer loot has huge problems.

If my friends and I did not offer guns to each other and work together, it would be an annoying, frustrating experience.

Davedough

maybe some people enjoy it, but I certainly don't. I don't really understand why you would want to enrage people who want to play a certain way, when it's supposed to be a cooperative game.

I find assault rifles everywhere, along with pistols and shotguns. I have a hard time coming up with sniper rifles.

thetrin

7) No weapon proficiency strengthens the idea of "Loot NOW, look later."

This is a great point. There's no downside to stealing ALL the loot, since everyone can use everything.

I find assault rifles everywhere, along with pistols and shotguns. I have a hard time coming up with sniper rifles.

Literally every other drop I get is a shotgun for some reason. I just want a decent AR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom