• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much. I'm actively avoiding public games because lack of instanced loot does several things:

1) Forces teammates to avoid objectives and enemies and make a beeline for loot before someone gets it

2) Grinds friends to a halt because they stop for 5 minutes to decide on who should take what.

3) Stifles trading by allowing you to merely steal items before people get to them

4) Discourages sniping, since anyone using a pistol, SMG or AR automatically has a better chance of getting items than you do, due to proximity.

5) Discourages healing and reviving teammates once loot drops from dead enemies, since reviving a teammate might mean another teammate will merely steal the loot from under your nose.

6) Discourages actually looking at tooltips before picking up loot, because doing so ensures that another teammate will come over, mass loot, and run to the next objective.

Sure, if you're all friends this is fine, but my friends are not at my beck and call to play the game. Sometimes they're doing something else, and I just want to play with some people. Diablo 3 has plenty of problems, but one thing they really did right was instancing loot. It makes pub games smoother, it doesn't get in the way of cooperation, and if you really want to give someone something, you can just drop it on the ground or trade, no questions asked.

That really doesn't solve the problem for the 3 other classes that have to play through that starting area. As a commando, I had to pistol whip the first boss to death because I ran out of ammo.

You convinced me.

There are probably some good reasons or technical issues (on consoles at least) why they kept non-instanced loot though.

So has anyone seen any decapitation or is it not in the game. Headshot crits tend to show gibs flying from the head but its still attached. put in 3 hours last night and still haven't seen any limbs fly off either. I'm on PC everything maxed.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So has anyone seen any decapitation or is it not in the game. Headshot crits tend to show gibs flying from the head but its still attached. put in 3 hours last night and still haven't seen any limbs fly off either. I'm on PC everything maxed.
One of the trailers had decapitation, from Zer0's sword though.

Teknoman

I still only enjoy playing this game in multiplayer, but yeah, multiplayer loot has huge problems.

If my friends and I did not offer guns to each other and work together, it would be an annoying, frustrating experience.

I'll say. I will ask if I mow up loot no matter who i'm playing with though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm certainly not saying the game is awful and no one should play it. It's a lot of fun.

I just recommend that no one play pub games if they ever want to actually get loot.

Teknoman

This is a great point. There's no downside to stealing ALL the loot, since everyone can use everything.

Literally every other drop I get is a shotgun for some reason. I just want a decent AR!

You didnt find any last night in the power plant dungeon?

EDIT: Speaking of which, the dungeons in this game are so much better than BL1. Really atmospheric.

Stantron

How did max level cap work with BL1? Did each DLC raise it a bit?
You would need a minimum of 53 skill points to get the bottom skills of a tree twice, right?
I'm trying to plan ahead for double heavily armed turrets with Axton. :)

so there is no way to level up a certain type of weapon like in Borderlands so you can get better at a certain one?

everyone can use everything?

in borderlands each character started with an affinity towards a certain weapon type correct?

Razek

Banned
Oh god there are sooooo many side quests in the game, I'm starting to get sick of em because I've been trying to do all of them since they have interesting voice acting and plot but some of them involve way too much travelling around by foot and car.

Tell me about. I got fed up with them and just started doing the story. It had been a while and 2 of them sounded interested so I thought I would give them a second chance. Nope. walk walk walk walk walk through crappy enemies that give you 1xp. booooring.

so there is no way to level up a certain type of weapon like in Borderlands so you can get better at a certain one?

everyone can use everything?

in borderlands each character started with an affinity towards a certain weapon type correct?

Everyone can use everything. There are very few skills that give specific weapons boosts and there are no more weapon proficiencies. Use the best gun you pick up regardless of type.

Everyone can use everything. There are very few skills that give specific weapons boosts and there are no more weapon proficiencies. Use the best gun you pick up regardless of type.

:/ i supposed gameplay wise that's better but it makes it harder to share with your friends.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
You didnt find any last night in the power plant dungeon?

EDIT: Speaking of which, the dungeons in this game are so much better than BL1. Really atmospheric.

Playing with you was a lot of fun, and I got some good stuff. Playing with pubs is a nightmare.

You up to play some more tonight?

(btw, could you hear me on mic last night?)

Razek

Banned
:/ i supposed gameplay wise that's better but it makes it harder to share with your friends.

Personally I hate it, and some weapons are pretty much useless this way (pistols).

edit: I hate the new system I mean. I miss picking a gun type(s) at the start and sticking with it.

Teknoman

I honestly dont like the shotguns i've found so far...but i've started to find SMGs really fun to use. So far i'm going with a sniper rifle, smg, and pistol. Havent unlocked the fourth slot yet, but i'll probably use an AR.

Playing with you was a lot of fun, and I got some good stuff. Playing with pubs is a nightmare.

You up to play some more tonight?

(btw, could you hear me on mic last night?)

Yes. Had to recharge my headset so thats why I was using text chat. Definitely up for more later tonight.

Personally I hate it, and some weapons are pretty much useless this way (pistols).

edit: I hate the new system I mean. I miss picking a gun type(s) at the start and sticking with it.

You just havent found the right pistol :p

Davedough

btw.... Davedough on Steam if anyone wants co-op sometime with no weapon stealing.

I dont always play Borderlands, but when I do..

...I prefer to share loot.

thetrin

btw.... Davedough on Steam if anyone wants co-op sometime with no weapon stealing.

I dont always play Borderlands, but when I do..

...I prefer to share loot.

I just lost my connection to Steam, but I'll add you when I'm back online. I enjoy sharing loot, and long walks on the beach.

Yep. It also makes public game looting a nightmare.

I have no idea why, but my friend is trying to defend the looting system in the game, and thinks instanced loot would ruin co-op.

PusherT

I'm having a hard hard time trying to understand Slag element. Do it debuff enemies only to elemental damage "fire/Acid etc" or does it debuff normal damage ie non elemental weapon damage?

And can I add slagg to my sabre turrent if need be?

One of the trailers had decapitation, from Zer0's sword though.

yeah I saw that but in borderlands 1 when you kill an enemy with a head shot it would pop like a balloon. the gibs still show in BO2 but the heads don't actually come off. Im hoping with higher level weapons it will start working. I's not really detracting from the game much but i miss the over the top gore from Borderlands 1.

Razek

Banned
I'm having a hard hard time trying to understand Slag element. Do it debuff enemies only to elemental damage "fire/Acid etc" or does it debuff normal damage ie non elemental weapon damage?

And can I add slagg to my sabre turrent if need be?

Slag basically decreases their 'defense' so you do more damage.

Edit: Haha, I should think before I post. As in, it gives them a temporary purple status were they are more vulnerable to damage. To have this status for players is bad.

been playing nonstop with a friend since yesterday. I would not play this game with randoms. Seriously thinking this is one the top 3 games I have ever played. I'm blown away.

Originally wanted to be Axton but saw way too many guys on my list that were either him or Zero. Maya's trees all so useful that it's annoying having to choose which route you want to go. Would like to go halfway down the far left tree and go full right but not sure if its possible.

Having shared loot is alright, but they should've done some kind of system where each player can call dibs on a certain weapon type for the duration of the session. So if I call dibs on shotguns, only I can pick them up or have the option to make it up for grabs when I mouse over it.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, guns have levels?? I knew some couldn't be used till the player reaches a certain level... So, does that mean the legendaries I found early in the game (two already, no golden keys!) will be useless later on?

Razek

Banned
Wait, guns have levels?? I knew some couldn't be used till the player reaches a certain level... So, does that mean the legendaries I found early in the game (two already, no golden keys!) will be useless later on?

Yes, most likely depending on their level.

Gotchaye

Does anybody else feel like some of the missions/areas are too big? Like the bit early in the game with Roland. Or the later zoo mission. Big areas are kind of nice, but at the same time it can get repetitive fighting the same kinds of enemies in the same kind of environment again and again, and without any ability to quit and take a break.

This was an especially big problem for me with the zoo mission. I went in underleveled, got to the boss 2 or 3 levels behind, and just couldn't deal with it. I had to go do some other things for a bit to level up. But then I had to go all the way back through the repopulated area to get to the boss again.

Raide

Yep. Some of the stuff you get at lower level will be pathetic compared to the high-end monster guns. Welcome to Loot-Whoring!

Does anybody else feel like some of the missions/areas are too big? Like the bit early in the game with Roland. Or the later zoo mission. Big areas are kind of nice, but at the same time it can get repetitive fighting the same kinds of enemies in the same kind of environment again and again, and without any ability to quit and take a break.

This was an especially big problem for me with the zoo mission. I went in underleveled, got to the boss 2 or 3 levels behind, and just couldn't deal with it. I had to go do some other things for a bit to level up. But then I had to go all the way back through the repopulated area to get to the boss again.

Do like me. Check every nook and cranny. That way, you`ll face a lot more enemies and will always be just the right level. lol

Really, REALLY enjoying the game thus far. Takes everything great about BL1 and makes it better. Can't beat the open world experience. In fact, this game converted my friend to consoles. Playing with friends makes this game SO fun and good.

I laughed 3 times at the intro movie. Quality stuff all around and I'm glad Scooter is still an amazing character that makes you laugh every time. CATCH A RAAAAAAAAIDE

Coalition-PezRadar

Director of Community, The Coalition
Is there like a "Borderlands 2 Basics" article somewhere on the net, that goes over like, vending machines and the different stats on guns, badass points, all the kind of thing that newbies need drilled into their head?

Need it for a few friends who I finally convinced to get BL2 after always talking about Borderlands. They were a little frustrated/overwhelmed last night.

Hammerlock Trailer may be a nice start as well!

Gotchaye

Do like me. Check every nook and cranny. That way, you`ll face a lot more enemies and will always be just the right level. lol

I've been tempted, but I like the difficulty when the enemies are 1-2 levels higher. I've been doing maybe 1/3 of the sidequests. I'll do another set of them in the second playthrough, and then the rest with a different character.

Kydd BlaZe

Lol I don't know if this has been posted already, but Gearbox must be fans of Breaking Bad. I randomly heard one of the enemies scream out "I'M THE ONE WHO KNOCKS!!!"

I couldn't stop laughing after I heard that.

Hammerlock Trailer may be a nice start as well!

Hey Adam, this whole thing with the getting infinite golden keys things - is it bannable?

I used mine but I honestly would like to do it a couple more times (just because the first time gave me only shields, no weapon)

But i wouldnt do it if it screwed me later on.

Thanks in advance for the reply. :)

Lol I don't know if this has been posted already, but Gearbox must be fans of Breaking Bad. I randomly heard one of the enemies scream out "I'M THE ONE WHO KNOCKS!!!"

I couldn't stop laughing after I heard that.

Roland has a head that is breaking bad themed also if I am not mistaken. ???

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Level 24 Zero now. I'm really enjoying the writing, and the boss fights are fantastic. I had to switch out of the melee tree and into Cunning, though. I'll try it again when I can spec all the way down to the bottom, but one super-charged melee attack every so often just isn't competitive when I can exit Deception by applying a shotgun to the face.

For people who do like melee builds, though - you should be doing these weird crime-solving quests in Sanctuary. There are two that I've seen so far. The first gave a unique revolver with +100% melee damage. The second gave a unique shield which gives life-steal on melee attacks if the revolver from the other quest is equipped.

I'm just about 20 with Zero and honestly after getting Execute i have yet to see my melee dmg coming out of Deception be anything but godly. Yet to find a weapon that can almost 1shot a badass nomad ... yet I melee then to almost nothing in one shot consistently.

Totally worth it IMO and once Many Must Fall drops .... awwwwwww shit son. It's so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom