• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

D6AMIA6N

Pretty much. I'm actively avoiding public games because lack of instanced loot does several things:

1) Forces teammates to avoid objectives and enemies and make a beeline for loot before someone gets it

2) Grinds friends to a halt because they stop for 5 minutes to decide on who should take what.

3) Stifles trading by allowing you to merely steal items before people get to them

4) Discourages sniping, since anyone using a pistol, SMG or AR automatically has a better chance of getting items than you do, due to proximity.

5) Discourages healing and reviving teammates once loot drops from dead enemies, since reviving a teammate might mean another teammate will merely steal the loot from under your nose.

6) Discourages actually looking at tooltips before picking up loot, because doing so ensures that another teammate will come over, mass loot, and run to the next objective.

Sure, if you're all friends this is fine, but my friends are not at my beck and call to play the game. Sometimes they're doing something else, and I just want to play with some people. Diablo 3 has plenty of problems, but one thing they really did right was instancing loot. It makes pub games smoother, it doesn't get in the way of cooperation, and if you really want to give someone something, you can just drop it on the ground or trade, no questions asked.

These are great points. I can't see any explanation as to why the current loot system would be preferrable to the D3 system. Perhaps they could offer it as an option for coop? So you can search and join games which have the D3 style loot system?

charsace

This is a great point. There's no downside to stealing ALL the loot, since everyone can use everything.

Literally every other drop I get is a shotgun for some reason. I just want a decent AR!

They got rid of weapon proficiency? People would avoid weapons in BL1 because the characters didn't get anything from using them. Stupid to take that out.

Shared loot isn't all cons. If you have friends who you can be civil with it is fun all admiring and awesome drop before dividing it up. You also become more aware of what your friends weapons and capabilities are when you all see the same loot being spread out. It also seems to inspire hand me downs more than instanced loot. Instanced loot would be take everything, pic the one thing better for you and sell all the rest. For us, if we got a purple, someone would take it and pass on what ever weapon that displaced.

All of that being said, I would have preferred instanced loot to simply keep the game moving and make it viable to play with strangers.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
i don't think they do a 4 pack for the season pass. so Gmg is the cheapest. but honestly. you should hold off until GMG does another 25% off discount. seeing as the DLC won't be out anytime soon.

Isn't there 1 already coming in mid October or am I mistaking that for something smaller? Curious since I will hold off until a 25% coupon if that's the case.

I'm ok with this.

Maybe 2-3 hours in (in the second area) and I'm having fun!
Gunzerker and I'm specting as much damage and bonus to the zerk as possible; Just DPS full out.

I love the dual shooting more than I thought I would, especially if you have any explosives. I like to team it up with a fire or acid small arms and it's very effective.

I already had to roll my eyes at the story a few times. Handsome Jack really does just comes out of nowhere and the beginning that sets it off seems a bit silly. I also didn't care for
The angel AI saying that the characters from the first game 'changed the planet forever' but uh...we need a new hero..YOU!'.
Maybe I just want something out of the story for these games I'm just not going to get. I did like some of the returning characters and new one quite a bit.

I'm not sure when I should hit co-op. I feel like when you play with people, it's just rush rush rush and no one reads dialog or takes time. I felt like I'll miss things I may want to see, but I don't know if I want to wait until the second play to team up.

So, I'm screen capping all of those character intros in 1920 x 1080. They could make for some great wall papers. Let me know if you guys are interested - I'm only up to chapter 6 I believe, but I've screen capped every character/boss so far.

PK Gaming

Hey...

so um... I never played Borderlands 1...

I was planning on getting B2, but should I give 1 a shot? If I play 2, I might have difficulty going back to 1, and I don't want to miss anything.

Davedough

Hey...

I was planning on getting B2, but should I give 1 a shot? If I play 2, I might have difficulty going back to 1, and I don't want to miss anything.

Story wise, BL1 is pretty lacking. I personally think there would just be a few references you may not get but otherwise I think BL2 can stand pretty well on its own.

Hey...

Go buy BL2 right, you will not mis a thing about BL1.
BL2 is the better game far far far better, and that is from someone how played the first game for over 150 hours.

You do not need the story of BL1 just know that their was a vault that opened at the end and shit got fucked up on a planet called Pandora.
You are a new vault hunter on Pandora and off you go :)

Kacho

Hey...

Borderlands is all about the gameplay. Shoot stuff, level up, assign points, collection guns. Don't worry about the story stuff. I'd skip it all if I could. :)

Razek

Banned
Hey...

No much seriously happened in 1. If you just want a quick spoiler recap:

4 vault hunters appear (Lilith, Roland, Mordecai, and Brick). A 'voice' with the face of a woman only they can hear guides them through various unimportant challenges to get to the vault. They get there and open it. It isn't money, loot, or weapons. It's a big tentacle creature. You all kill it. You discover that the voice guiding you was actually an AI of a Hyperion satellite orbiting Pandora. The end.

Teknoman

3D0AD5FB17AC4E6ED611E33089D65A9DD9558282

EF9A59A7EC27BEC64F967565A544F90D0CDCF513

AE103A9C62493F89523CC5A7450AB75BED94DCFD

75C90DEC27404ADBA071DB7295BDA1A206F8048E

8B3FBD7794FA9C5402E8B79F253EE129D7FF8569

Steam screenshots I know, and hopefully its nothing considered spoilers, but I really like what they've done with the environments. So much more interesting than the first game vanilla. Also Claptrap is still crazy as ever.

Hey Adam, this whole thing with the getting infinite golden keys things - is it bannable?

I used mine but I honestly would like to do it a couple more times (just because the first time gave me only shields, no weapon)

But i wouldnt do it if it screwed me later on.

Thanks in advance for the reply. :)

There are legit ways to get multiple keys though. Well at least 2 keys anyway.

LukeSmith

Are characters (Steam version) not saved to the steam account? I just booted up Blands2 on my work machine and I'd have to start fresh?

Is there an option I need to enable to allow for cloud saves?

Derrick01

Banned
Finally I found a good combat rifle that doesn't shoot missiles! You'd think the opposite would be the harder ones to find but nope. I've had the worst time trying to find a normal combat rifle that was at least on par with my level.

Mikey Jr.

Why does game decide to save when I am near a loadpoint into another area?

Like I'll drive to sanctuary, and when I am 5cm away from the area, it will start to save, telling me to wait because I am saving.

Urghhhh.

Victrix

*beard*
Really, really wish they had set it so that locked items wouldn't swap out if you held X. Equipping a white trash item while looting garbage is still the absolute worst :(

That and uninstanced loot.

Otherwise aces so far!

Razek

Banned
I swear I keep going back to old habits from Borderlands 1 like "Press E over money and ammo."

Have to catch myself!

Same, still mashing square on the controller over everything on the ground.

did you know you have tokens to use for your badass rank system?

Luckily, I've been keeping up with that one :)

Really, really wish they had set it so that locked items wouldn't swap out if you held X. Equipping a white trash item while looting garbage is still the absolute worst :(

That and uninstanced loot.

Otherwise aces so far!

I can't wait to hear a story of someone playing with randoms, having a full inventory, holding x and their best gun flying out where a random takes it.

Dizzy-4U

Tediore weapons are a nightmare for me, I'm so used to reload after firing just 1 bullet.

I have to thanks Gearbox for helping me wih my rehabilitation.

Finally I found a good combat rifle that doesn't shoot missiles! You'd think the opposite would be the harder ones to find but nope. I've had the worst time trying to find a normal combat rifle that was at least on par with my level.

Dude I have the same problem. They all look the same too. :/

EDIT: I just remembered a glitch I experienced yesterday. I was doing the quest for Marcus where you have to shoot the targets with different elemental weapons. When I got to the slag part, he changed my pistol that did corrosive damage into a pistol that did slag damage. When I finished the quest, my pistol disappeared. Couldn't recover it or anything. :(

Xevren

Tediore weapons are a nightmare for me, I'm so used to reload after firing just 1 bullet.

I use cover a lot so usually after firing I'll go into cover and reload...happened to do that with my Tediore Rocket launcher and killed myself. What's sad is that I've done this multiple times. I'll learn eventually!

I think I'm Level 11 Commando, and I am in LOVE with the turret. I'ma call her Broodwing.
I kid. I kid. But seriously, it's a real life saver.

I wonder if I should invest a missile or nuke feature...

Also, I found some worthwhile weapons, including an awesome fire sniper rifle. I'm so glad we have easier ways to save/get space for our backpacks. I was able to upgrade my backpack twice from eridium and finally access
Roland's safe

Is anyone on the PC version just reaching Sanctuary and not talked to the Dr. there yet? I got a bug shortly after meeting him, and I need to join someone's game so I can continue the quest line for both him and his contact. Please, someone PM me your Steam info if you are!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
This is odd. I know I put the code in two days ago for the premier club (360), way before I installed the game. I just realized now (level 10) that I never got my gold guns or my relic hunter artifact.

Wtf is with that?

I think I'm Level 11 Commando, and I am in LOVE with the turret. I'ma call her Broodwing.
I kid. I kid. But seriously, it's a real life saver.

I wonder if I should invest a missile or nuke feature...

Also, I found an awesome fire sniper rifle. I'm so glad we have a storage compartment in case we save weapons.

++ <3 the turret. About to start pumping skill points into it.

The way I've been using zero with the snipe tree. There's a skill in the middle of the tree that shows critical hit locations while stealthed. That works really well during boss fights because the head is not always the weak spot. You could sue the stealth skill in co op when a teammate dies you can revive in stealth and have all the aggro go after your hologram. I really only see the snipe tree and melle tree worth it. The middle tree is meh.

This is how I use my Zero too. Snipe and Melee Spec. That 500% melee damage on weakened enemies becomes a godsend on Badasses.

Dizzy-4U

I use cover a lot so usually after firing I'll go into cover and reload...happened to do that with my Tediore Rocket launcher and killed myself. What's sad is that I've done this multiple times. I'll learn eventually!
Yeah, I killed myself a coule of times too. This game will probably take that bad habit away.

Another thing that I really like about this game is that now I'm using my full arsenal all the time, switching weapons back and forth and even using sniper rifles. In Borderlands 1, once I got to a decent SMG I never used any other weapon, there was no need to. Maybe it's because I'm early in the story or I dunno, Borderlands 2 feel harder than the first one for me (which is a great thing).

Alex

They got rid of weapon proficiency? People would avoid weapons in BL1 because the characters didn't get anything from using them. Stupid to take that out.

I hated being forced down one path in BL1 when I didn't even like the weapon they decided to saddle the class with. New method is much more flexible and better

Im having a hard time finding a corrosive weapon, which sucks since im an elemental siren

I got an orange quality repeater from the slot machine in moxxis at level 7! They started turning up more common though. Seemed to come in with the new type commonly every few levels. Fire, elec, acid, slag

Victrix

*beard*

Tediore weapons are the god damned devil. It's a neat idea in theory, but having your reload held hostage to accidental gun grenade throwing just doesn't work well in practice.

Ignoring years of counterstrike inspired autoreloading, training yourself to NOT reload and then reload in the open to throw a mediocre grenade AND waste a shitload of ammo is just bad gameplay.

Maybe they get way stronger later with maxed ammo capacity and class perks to boost ammo, but right now I ignore or sell tediore weapons.

Ricker

Damn this game is even harder then the first solo...Flyn took me 4 tries(I was the same level as the quest,6) and I beat him because I glitched out of the zone and just shot him on the walkway before before jumping back in the enclosed area lol...looks like solo you need to be 2 or 3 levels higher then the quest/area to not die a lot...

Coconut

Banned
The character writing in this game is so good.

The voice acting makes it.

Really? some of the voice are a little annoying. like I don't think the person doing Scooter is the same as in Borderlands 1. I don't like it. The game suffers from to much VO I want some quiet for a little bit. It reminds me of Portal 2 I recognize it's funny stuff the yare saying I just don't want to hear it all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom