• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 2 |OT| Opening Pandora's Box (of Guns!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Siren now looks reminiscent of Rogue from X-Men Evolution.
b9v0l.jpg

XeroSauce

So from what I have noticed a Gunzerker and a siren should be working together and Zero and Axton compliment each other pretty well.

I know about the former, me and my Siren buddy wreck face, but I don't get the latter. Turret takes aggro from Zer0?

JambiBum

Having my friend's phaselock and then using my deception melee attack as Zero will pretty much kill anything in one hit. It's great.

Raide

Played a little bit of this yesterday, getting my commando to about level 7. Guns all look and sound great, enemies move around lot more and seem to just be tougher to take down in general and especially in groups. I'm loving the new staggers and how enemies will crawl and ache if you get them close to death. I've had more than a few moments where I laughed out loud from the humor and voicework. Well done Gearbox.

So then I dropped into some co-op with my buddies, all starting new characters, so we had two commandos and two ninjas. Areas that had taken me 15-20 minutes to work through were places we just stormed as group and cleaned up in seconds. Co-op was such a mad clusterfuck of explosions, gunfire from all angles, turrets being deployed every few seconds, ninjas stabbinating everywhere and just full tilt madness all around.

All in all single player feels harder but co-op feels much easier. So far anyway, up to about level 10.

While higher levels and the extra playthroughs will mean more challenge, True Vault Hunter Mode will be the way forward for co-op.

As you level your turret it changes, gets lazers, rockets, etc.

Ahh I see. :D Fair enough!

I've been excited about both games, so I'm a bit biased, but honestly... if you had a problem with the quests in the first one, you're going to have a problem with quests in the second one. I don't personally see much difference.

Ok, thanks for the honest feedback. I'm still pretty torn. I think I'll end up getting the game (but I'll have to decide tomorrow since that's the last day to pre-order it) and then leave it wrapped to either check more opinions, play it at a later date (when Tekken is finished with) or in case I wish to return it.

Also, what builds are everybody doing? I have these two planned:
Zer0: bit.ly/Od5gxJ
Maya: bit.ly/Od4WyX
But don't know if they'd be good so I'm looking to compare with other people.

Coconut

Banned
I know about the former, me and my Siren buddy wreck face, but I don't get the latter. Turret takes aggro from Zer0?

Yeah turret takes aggro so Zero can back stab and or snipe. As well deception can distract dudes so the stop and the turret can lock on much easier. On top of this you could go Siren Gunzerker focus on the boss while the Axton Zero team focus on the goons.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Nah. You can learn new skills to change up sword animations/strength, but this is all about guns,grenades,gunades, and nadeguns.

Sword strength.. sure... but animations? Where did you hear/see that? ... unless you're playing zero and seen some firsthand so far?

Teknoman

Did Gearbox miss out on a big chance to have unlockable skins for Sword/Turrets etc? Seems like a no brainer. :D Unless they already do and they did have brains. :p

That actually seems like it would be a cool free update or at least first expansion pack update. More character customization is always a good thing. I've already seen several drastically different looking Axton.

Oh and found out about the injector in the PC performance thread. Giving that a shot now, and guess I better turn off FXAA.

Sword strength.. sure... but animations? Where did you hear/see that? ... unless you're playing zero and seen some firsthand so far?

Well by animation I mean the special dash attack skill when under decepti0n and using melee.

Also is it just me, or are mods visible on characters now? I found a mod for Zer0 that looked like blade shaped armor, and now i've got blade like shapes on my elbows.

Torraz

So far I'm liking the commando's skill a lot more for soloing than the gunzerkers. Of course I never got too far with the zerker, so he might become very survivable later...

Wallach

Besides the skills you can get that influence your melee attack (like Execute), weapons that have +% melee damage have their own melee animations.

Razek

Banned
My good friend Matt has been livestreaming 1-50.

He's almost level 49:

http://www.twitch.tv/mattblitz

Whoa, that's nuts, 50? I figured 35 was going to be the end. Jeez I'm not even half way done with this game then.

I wish they would give you more loot more often. It's just too thin this time around. I haven't gotten a decent 'bump up' sniper since 14 and I'm 19 now. Heck, I don't think I've ever seen one in a chest, just the sanctuary shops because they level. I'm not anywhere remotely close to the tier that a poster showed a pic of earlier in the 400's of damage. I'm starting to tell now too, because enemies are taking multiple criticals to take down.

Nome

I'm thinking about getting this game and I'm just hoping somebody else that was undecided on it could help advise me. I missed out on the first Borderlands at release and got the Game of the Year edition but ended up quitting the game after the first playthrough without having done much of the DLCs. I enjoyed the game but the quests really diluted my interest in the game. I've heard that Borderlands 2 has vastly improved the quest system but I'm still hesitant to pick it up (but then I'm concerned that if I wait a few months I'll have missed out of the online play on PSN [since my Gold ran out and I don't plan on renewing it just for Borderlands 2 should I get it] and I'll repeat what happened with the original). Can anybody who has been in a similar situation advise me as to what you think of the game? Although in saying that another problem I have is that the pre-order DLC makes me feel that if I don't buy it on release date I just shouldn't buy it until a few months pass (at which point I can buy the game and the DLC for less than what it is at release date) but then that leads me back to the previous problem so I'm hoping somebody can convince me it's worth it.

Quests are as bad or worse in B2. Do you like 30 minute quests? If so, you'll love B2. Worst thing about it is that they're multi-tiered, so they're constantly dangling a carrot in front of you, but switch the objective after you get it. I understand they wanted to move away from simple checklists, but I find it annoying. Worst part is if you need to go in the middle of a quest. If you quit and return, you get put back into town and have to fight your way back. Very annoying.

It's still a good game. Just focusing on the negative points. More than worth the money.

Avinexus

Whoa, that's nuts, 50? I figured 35 was going to be the end. Jeez I'm not even half way done with this game then.

I wish they would give you more loot more often. It's just too thin this time around. I haven't gotten a decent 'bump up' sniper since 14 and I'm 19 now. Heck, I don't think I've ever seen one in a chest, just the sanctuary shops because they level. I'm not anywhere remotely close to the tier that a poster showed a pic of earlier in the 400's of damage. I'm starting to tell now too, because enemies are taking multiple criticals to take down.

The first playthrough will leave you at around level 30-35. He is on Playthrough 2.

Wallach

Seems like loot quality scales strongly with number of players in the session. It's a very big difference.

Raide

No your right its just that :)

Ahh, that updated me then. Still not had chance to play the UK version, so I kinda thought it was something that unlocked at higher levels.

Also, has anything managed to finish the game on the Playthrough 2/TVHM yet? I wonder if they have something beyond that. I really wanted them to push into NG+++ and beyond. :p

JoeBoy101

What builds are people doing for Gunzerker? I went back to him after Zero because, though I love Zero, I felt Salvador has more character to him. Plus, he's doing a bit better second time through, but still feels a bit too fragile. I'm focusing on Brawn right now.

I haven't seen many sniper rifles either but I'm finding plenty of everything else.

Dennis

Banned
So of the four classes......which ones are broken and which ones will make the game shine?

Does stealth guy work? How is sniping?

What exactly does Maya do? Mage?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
That actually seems like it would be a cool free update or at least first expansion pack update. More character customization is always a good thing. I've already seen several drastically different looking Axton.

Oh and found out about the injector in the PC performance thread. Giving that a shot now, and guess I better turn off FXAA.

Well by animation I mean the special dash attack skill when under decepti0n and using melee.

Also is it just me, or are mods visible on characters now? I found a mod for Zer0 that looked like blade shaped armor, and now i've got blade like shapes on my elbows.

All the Mods change something on your character now and yes, Zero's is his elbow blades.

My fav ever moment so far has been opening up Execute (the dash attack from deception) and using it to take out
Willhelm
by Running up a rock, Leaping from it's apex and then CHARGE DASHING THROUGH THE SKY to slice his fucking face.

UNNNNNNF.

Besides the skills you can get that influence your melee attack (like Execute), weapons that have +% melee damage have their own melee animations.

That was in BL1 as well of course... my mind simply started swimming with possible combo options of swinging the sword around... but .. i've seen a loading screen with a sniper rifle that had a freakin bayonet on it. WANT

Aesthet1c

Does anyone know how ammo works in multiplayer games? Do we all get ammo from one person picking it up? Or do we have to share the ammo on the ground and in chests between us?

It looks like money is shared... but I'm not sure about ammo yet.

Razek

Banned
Seems like loot quality scales strongly with number of players in the session. It's a very big difference.

Well that would certainly explain the junk I've been getting haha. I still wish they had a few more weapon chests placed around though.

The first playthrough will leave you at around level 30-35. He is on Playthrough 2.

Oh, I forgot about that. Good to know then.

No your right its just that :)
Yep, but that got me to re-read the OP and it does look like the second playthrough is more interesting this time around and seemingly worthy of it's new title:

Borderlands 2 OT said:
Borderlands 2's second play-through is called True Vault Hunter Mode. Like the second play-through on Borderlands, TVHM is harder with tougher enemies. But where the first game
simply tasked the player to increase their hit points and do more damage with better guns against enemies with more hit points and better guns, a second play through of Borderlands
2 requires the player to think. The AI works differently using unique behaviours. More enemies use shields. More wear armour. More are Badass class. There are enemies that only
appear in TVHM. To defeat them you'll have to put those top-tier abilities to good use. And in co-op, which automatically scales up the challenge depending on how many players are
in your party, understanding how different classes work together is essential.

Teknoman

This is what i'm talking about. Hopefully mods come in different shapes and sizes, offering even more visual and stat customization.

jburu1iuZcgP9r.png

EDIT: Whoops, didnt see that reply, thanks Eppy.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
thisishowipose.gif

Love the title screen .... my Zer0 has the ghost face - worn out outfit colors and steel mod eblow knives. I answered you up above in my other post. Every character has something that changes. All of Zer0s will be elbow knife razor things... all of mia's will be the little rock things... axtons will be the pouch/packs... but they all are colored/shaped/modeled uniquely. Should be hawt.

Edit: Lawl ... we should ninja snuggle.

Teknoman

Love the title screen .... my Zer0 has the ghost face - worn out outfit colors and steel mod eblow knives. I answered you up above in my other post. Every character has something that changes. All of Zer0s will be elbow knife razor things... all of mia's will be the little rock things... axtons will be the pouch/packs... but they all are colored/shaped/modeled uniquely. Should be hawt.

Awesome.

having a lot more fun with new char axton, a lot easier to solo than zero

I can imagine zero is great co-op, and for solo once at a higher level.

cackhyena

having a lot more fun with new char axton, a lot easier to solo than zero

I can imagine zero is great co-op, and for solo once at a higher level.

Crap, I'm gonna have to try him out then, I think. I'm having a time getting around as Zero solo atm. Now, to choose Axton or Siren...cuz she seems fun.

JChalmers

Neo Member
Ended up dropping Zero too, wasn't as fun being a sniper all game than I thought, probably try him again Co-Op sometime as a close quarters guy.

Been Maya now and already up to where I was with Zer0. Absolutely loving her and the Phaselock....

I've become addicted to Slots, lost all my money so many times with them but got some decent weapons and Eridium....

Megasoum

Banned
Wow at that golden key exploit...it's stupid easy to do to. I'm curious as to why people are asking if they're gonna get banned. Banned from what...Steam?

I don't really see why Steam would ban for something like that. Especially since it's a very minor change in a DLC, not even the main game files. It's not like you hex edit the exe or something lol.

nbraun80

Ok so the side quest 'mighty morphin' my friends and I for the life of us can not figure out how to get one to mutate so we can kill it. Any one do this site mission yet?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Ended up dropping Zero too, wasn't as fun being a sniper all game than I thought, probably try him again Co-Op sometime as a close quarters guy.

Been Maya now and already up to where I was with Zer0. Absolutely loving her and the Phaselock....

I've become addicted to Slots, lost all my money so many times with them but got some decent weapons and Eridium....

The life of a solo assassin is a lonely warrior road... but when you fly 20 feet through the air after tossing down 3 MIRV grenades invisibly and slice the head off a BadAss Jerkface while fire wrecks all of his cronies... you realize.... one ninja assassin is all you need.

Can't wait to group up tho. Is there a Gaf PSN list for this game goin yet?

if so: PSN = Silkysm00th (zeros for o's W00t!)

Quick question: I accidentally used my golden key. Probably 5 seconds after the chest opened, I dashboarded (360 version). Don't think it saved data. Do I still have the key?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom