• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Mrbob

Can someone run me down a guide on how to change the FOV once more?

I thought I added it to the willow file with the bindings but I couldn't control anything after I put the code in.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You add these lines:

Within WillowInput.ini:
Search for "WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput". Below the chunk of bindings, add the following:

Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="FOV 90",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F11",Command="FOV 110",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

Then you press F10 or F11 to go to those FOVs from the default (60) once you're in-game (I think 90 is perfect).

However, when you sprint, it goes back to the default when you stop... that's where I'm at. Can't think of a way around it quite yet.

The 60 fov isn't THAT bad, I still played for hours on end, but I like to be able to config this stuff with certainty. Tomorrow after work I gotta play around with AA a bit more if I can keep myself from, you know... playing the game long enough.

Fuck, it's good.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Firestorm said:
Anyone have a problem with Voice chat not working?

we had issues with the 360 one on sunday - cutting in and out constantly. thought it was some port forwarding settings ont he router but it worked perfectly for 2-3 hours last night while we were playing.

Mrbob

I can't even figure out how to enable voice chat. It says its disabled when I try to go online through gamespy.

Probably best just to use steam private chat.

Firestorm

julls said:
we had issues with the 360 one on sunday - cutting in and out constantly. thought it was some port forwarding settings ont he router but it worked perfectly for 2-3 hours last night while we were playing.
I mean on PC. I see no settings. Works for my friends, but I can't hear them at all and I'm not speaking to them apparently. Steam Chat works, but it puts the regular game sound to almost mute so I can't hear anything in the game. Might need to use vent but would rather not -_-

This game really needs to work on its persistent advancement thing. I mean, I can sort of customize my character but I don't ever see it. It's stored on my computer which makes no sense. Would like a website or something where I can see where my friends are and it SERIOUSLY needs to be stored on their servers. I can't believe our data is saved on our computers....

Wag

Hawkian said:
You add these lines:

Within WillowInput.ini:
Search for "WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput". Below the chunk of bindings, add the following:

Then you press F10 or F11 to go to those FOVs from the default (60) once you're in-game (I think 90 is perfect).

However, when you sprint, it goes back to the default when you stop... that's where I'm at. Can't think of a way around it quite yet.

The 60 fov isn't THAT bad, I still played for hours on end, but I like to be able to config this stuff with certainty. Tomorrow after work I gotta play around with AA a bit more if I can keep myself from, you know... playing the game long enough.

Fuck, it's good.
Even with the modified FOV settings it still drives me nuts- I hope they fix it soon.

Masaki_

So I ended up buying Borderlands on Steam due to all the hype. Quick question, though, and I apologize if this has been answered before, but I simply can't go through 105 pages looking for it: Can more than 4 players play against each other at the same time?

Zzoram

Masaki_ said:
So I ended up buying Borderlands on Steam due to all the hype. Quick question, though, and I apologize if this has been answered before, but I simply can't go through 105 pages looking for it: Can more than 4 players play against each other at the same time?

Don't think so. What do you mean by "against"? Multiplayer is primarily co-op, although you can duel in arenas (think PvP).

Red

OK, I'm at level 10 and just picked up a fuckawesome orange incendiary sniper that I can't use til level 25. I think I've been playing for nearly five hours straight, my head is spinning and I feel like I'm about to puke.

So worth it :lol

As for FOV issues: I'm playing with my resolution set at 1088x612, and it widens the FOV considerably. Might not be ideal for a lot of you, but it's something to keep in mind.

Zzoram said:
Don't think so. What do you mean by "against"? Multiplayer is primarily co-op, although you can duel in arenas (think PvP).
Reading the guide it says you can bring teams of friends into arenas too.. agst other teams.. so not sure.

nataku

Hawkian said:
You add these lines:

Within WillowInput.ini:

Fuck, it's good.

Where is this WillowInput.ini file?

I see things like WillowGame, WillowMenu, WillowEditor, but no WillowInput.

Nevermind, got it when searching my entire HDD. I was in the wrong Borderlands folder.

You can change your inventory size through editing WillowGame.ini.

Go to [WillowGame.WillowInventoryManager] and change InventorySlotMax_Misc=12 to whatever number you like.

I changed it to 15 and it seems to work fine.

Masaki_

TurtleSnatcher said:
Reading the guide it says you can bring teams of friends into arenas too.. agst other teams.. so not sure.

I hope you're right.

To clarify: I asked if it was possible to, say, have a team of 12 players fight against another team of 12 players in a closed map a la most other FPS games.

Hope everything's fixed tomorrow.

Eventually happened so the time out counter wouldn't go down, like it froze, but it was still cancel-able and wouldn't time out on its own.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Basileus777 said:
You can change your inventory size through editing WillowGame.ini.

Go to [WillowGame.WillowInventoryManager] and change InventorySlotMax_Misc=12 to whatever number you like.

I changed it to 15 and it seems to work fine.

This is largely untested in multiplayer, and I don't recommend it. Your inventory size might be adjusted to whatever the host's ini file config says, which would likely mean you'd have a bunch of stuff deleted upon entry if it was full.

I'm sure it's fine for singleplayer, just fair warning.

EDIT: On 12v12 pvp, no way, at least not out of the box. Mods miiight enable such things in the future.

There's some stuff in an .ini that appears to refer to some type of team fighting.

[WillowGame.WillowGameInfo]
GameStatsClass=
Rounds=0
GoalScore=-1
TimeLimit=10
MaxNumTeams=6 // Set to -1 for no limit.
TeamsPerRound=2
bUseSpectatorRoom=True
bIgnoreFriendlyFire=true
bIgnoreNPCFriendlyFire=true
WinColor=(R=255,G=0,B=0,A=255)
LoseColor=(R=0,G=0,B=255,A=255)
bResurrectAllPlayersWhenOneDies=false

Maybe it was something Gearbox scrapped during development.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I put in an hour this morning and I must say that the interface for this game is rather unwieldy. No mouse scroll? Seriously? I have to hit page up and page down? I have to hit enter to accept and complete quests, etc...? The whole thing just seems very unintuitive. Also, is there any way to easily compare weapons? It is annoying to have to mouse over each gun and constantly check back on the one I have equipped to compare stats.

I only played for an hour, but so far I am enjoying it. The game really seems like an MMORPG with FPS mechanics. Even the AI seems to be just as bad as most MMORPGs where the enemies will calculate the quickest path to the player and run straight for them. The shooting is definitely a lot of fun and very satisfying, though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Zefah said:
I put in an hour this morning and I must say that the interface for this game is rather unwieldy. No mouse scroll? Seriously? I have to hit page up and page down? I have to hit enter to accept and complete quests, etc...? The whole thing just seems very unintuitive. Also, is there any way to easily compare weapons? It is annoying to have to mouse over each gun and constantly check back on the one I have equipped to compare stats.

I only played for an hour, but so far I am enjoying it. The game really seems like an MMORPG with FPS mechanics. Even the AI seems to be just as bad as most MMORPGs where the enemies will calculate the quickest path to the player and run straight for them. The shooting is definitely a lot of fun and very satisfying, though.

Right click on gun, click compare

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I love almost everything about this game. It becomes a serious challenge when more than one person is in the game.

But...has anyone figured out a way to disable voice com short of unplugging the device? Even better some kind of toggle key? I have a webcam mic and having it perpetually broadcast is rather annoying. It's one of the few real issues with 'consolitis' I have with this game.

Dipper145

Aptos said:
Anyone on Xbox 360 wanna do some loot runs through
The Descent and Eridian Promontory
?
I've got a good spot for you to farm.
In the zone where you have to set up the 3 control panels, you come out of the building where that woman is captured. Just inside that building are 2 weapon caches off to the left side of the large door that opens. You can farm both of these quite easily, without having to kill anything. Pretty similar to farming the New Haven 2 weapon caches, except these are right beside each other. It is boring though and running through the last couple zones would probably be a lot more exciting.

Xevren

Shame that the primary way of getting loot is doing that. Killing bosses for uber loot just isn't very good since they rarely drop anything of any real value.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Weird question. Anyone trying to play with a 360 controller on the PC version? Perhaps it is because I'm trying to use a wireless controller plugged in with a play and charge cable or something, but it's not picking up the controller at all.

Otherwise, kb/m is fine, besides some of the weird ass choices Gearbox made with the game. >.>

leela

Neo Member
Xevren said:
Killing bosses for uber loot just isn't very good since they rarely drop anything of any real value.

This is one of the more disappointing aspects of the game. It seems like the bosses always drop the same good loot if any at all.

Most of the better gear my group of friends found was from vending machines. I'm not sure what to think about that. That feels so strange when most games use vendors as a place to ditch unwanted loot.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Kintaro said:
Weird question. Anyone trying to play with a 360 controller on the PC version? Perhaps it is because I'm trying to use a wireless controller plugged in with a play and charge cable or something, but it's not picking up the controller at all.

Otherwise, kb/m is fine, besides some of the weird ass choices Gearbox made with the game. >.>

You need a wired controller or a that wireless adapter thing that is now only bundled with the Microsoft LifeChat accessory or a wireless 360 controller. Apparently the Play and Charge USB cable doesn't actually transfer any data? It certainly doesn't allow you to plug it in and use your wireless controller on the PC. The game certainly does support the 360 controller, though. It is recognized natively and can be used simultaneously with the KB/M without having to manually switch anything.

Xevren

leela said:
This is one of the more disappointing aspects of the game. It seems like the bosses always drop the same good loot if any at all.

Most of the better gear my group of friends found was from vending machines. I'm not sure what to think about that. That feels so strange when most games use vendors as a place to ditch unwanted loot.

I agree completely, whats the point of going and killing all the harder stuff if I don't even really get much for it when I can just open some chests and get good/great loot with no risk at all? I'm trying to avoid doing that but for a loot game it just seems like a crappy design.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Zefah said:
You need a wired controller or a that wireless adapter thing that is now only bundled with the Microsoft LifeChat accessory or a wireless 360 controller. Apparently the Play and Charge USB cable doesn't actually transfer any data? It certainly doesn't allow you to plug it in and use your wireless controller on the PC. The game certainly does support the 360 controller, though. It is recognized natively and can be used simultaneously with the KB/M without having to manually switch anything.

Hmm, bummer. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it. I would take some screenshots to show off the game, but I doubt there's any need. Running ing at 1080p with full effects. Smooth as silk at the moment.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
leela said:

That's one of the odd things so far, this game has millions of item combinations yet most of the best gear is seen at vendors and doesn't drop all that often if at all in lets say single player mode.

They need to JACK the f up the drop rate off monsters/humanoids 3 fold. Way too many items and way too little drops off mobs.

aeolist

Banned
BloodySinner said:
I can't believe this game is powered by GameSpy. I fucking hate it.
The fact that I can't play it due to the game locking up my system immediately on startup is the biggest reason I have for wishing I hadn't bought it.

Gamespy is probably second on that list though.

Zertez

Im closing in on 50 with my Siren and Im still having fun most the time. The loot system definitely needs a tweak. All Bosses should respawn and have a chance to drop something very nice, along with a solid weapon they drop very often. I know some bosses do respawn, but one of the best features about Diablo 2 imo, is you could run boss mobs over and over, if you wished. You could get friends together a run the same dungeon repeatedly.

The weapon generator is a cool feature, but the majority of stats it spits out are very bland and boring overall. I know you can not expect to find cool weapons all the time, but even some of the high end guns are very boring. The weapons are missing a wow factor of high end loot from other loot games. Maybe these guns just havent turned up yet, but nothing has really made me want to grind to find that one gun. I think the coolest mod Ive found on a gun is regenerate ammo on a SMG. Hopefully Gearbox will tweak things for the DLC and we will have high end dungeons to run for bosses and loot that is really special and unique. I dont mind if the loot is rare and will take awhile to see, but at least have something worth grinding for.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe Gamespy still manages to exist. Why would anyone want to install some 3rd party software (probably full of ads and malware) just to browse servers? I hate getting spammed to install the damn program any time I boot up Call of Duty 4 or Crysis multiplayer on Steam.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
If anyone wants to know, you can delete the movie files in the games directory to skip past all the unskippable intro shit. Look for file names like "nvidia", "gearbox", "intro" etc. I forgot their exact names since I already removed them, but man does the game boot like a dream without them.

Tain

I mean on PC. I see no settings. Works for my friends, but I can't hear them at all and I'm not speaking to them apparently. Steam Chat works, but it puts the regular game sound to almost mute so I can't hear anything in the game. Might need to use vent but would rather not -_-

Windows 7 quiets things by default when voice chat is being used. There's some setting somewhere.

Swag

I've found a way to ensure that the lock up in the Join Game menu goes through is to not pick a character in the Online main menu but to instead pick your character in the lobby. My game would freeze if I didn't and I'd have to close it through Task manager.

On a related note, what's the chance that Gearbox will optimise the delay in game, seem to always have a 1 second delay when I play in pubs :/

I discovered tonight that on the PS3 version if you compare trophies with a friend you can see the Zombie DLC trophies. 5 of them, three for completing a mission and two secret ones.

aeolist said:
The fact that I can't play it due to the game locking up my system immediately on startup is the biggest reason I have for wishing I hadn't bought it.

Gamespy is probably second on that list though.

Google the no-intro fix.

As a side note this game seems to have no cd-key verification at all on the PC, which is very, very strange. My room-mate bought it, but as he left I installed it on his PC and played it. When I clicked online it asked me to create a gamespy ID and boom, it was playable online.

I wonder what the thought process was behind such a decision. Maybe they concluded people who were going to pirate the game weren't going to be enticed by the multiplayer, or that they'd rather keep the PC online portion full, even if its with non payers. With only CD checking protection crackers will bypass it and the game won't be able to distinguish between payers/piraters or game sharers.

Right now as far as I can tell one person can buy the game and share it among as many friends as they like. Haven't seen a PC game operating this way since Age of Empires 2, which all my mates at school shared around as only 1 person needed a CD in their drive to play online.

Even DRM free companies like Stardock keep the multiplayer locked down to payers only, pretty amazing actually. I wonder if its an oversight or a conscious decision?

TheHeretic said:
Google the no-intro fix.

As a side note this game seems to have no cd-key verification at all on the PC, which is very, very strange. My room-mate bought it, but as he left I installed it on his PC and played it. When I clicked online it asked me to create a gamespy ID and boom, it was playable online.

I wonder what the thought process was behind such a decision. Maybe they concluded people who were going to pirate the game weren't going to be enticed by the multiplayer, or that they'd rather keep the PC online portion full, even if its with non payers. With only CD checking protection crackers will bypass it and the game won't be able to distinguish between payers/piraters or game sharers.

Right now as far as I can tell one person can buy the game and share it among as many friends as they like. Haven't seen a PC game operating this way since Age of Empires 2, which all my mates at school shared around as only 1 person needed a CD in their drive to play online.

Even DRM free companies like Stardock keep the multiplayer locked down to payers only, pretty amazing actually. I wonder if its an oversight or a conscious decision?

I wonder if it is a Take-two thing because the PC version of NBA 2k is exactly the same way. You don't see many publishers let pirates play online hassle-free.

On a side note, I really hate how if you hold the pick-up item button it swaps the items with what you currently have equipped. I just lost my best weapon because I accidently held on too long and someone else grabbed it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TheHeretic said:
Google the no-intro fix.

They even included LAN play! Awesome! Openness rocks!

I am a little worried that the game is too easy to pirate, though. I just hope the game sells well on the PC.

aeolist said:
This brings up a lot of shady looking torrent downloads

I'm not downloading and installing something unless I know what it is

Go to gamecopyworld and download it. Do you want to play the game or not?

Its a custom fix that removes the intro from the game, which is a bug that locks up/crashes some systems.

Firestorm

aeolist said:
This brings up a lot of shady looking torrent downloads

I'm not downloading and installing something unless I know what it is
Just change WillowEngine.ini from the following:

[FullScreenMovie]
StartupMovies=2K_logo
StartupMovies=Gearbox_logo
StartupMovies=NVidia
StartupMovies=Loading
SkippableMovies=2K_logo
SkippableMovies=Gearbox_logo
SkippableMovies=Attract
SkippableMovies=NVidia

to this:

[FullScreenMovie]
;StartupMovies=2K_logo
;StartupMovies=Gearbox_logo
;StartupMovies=NVidia
;StartupMovies=Loading
;SkippableMovies=2K_logo
;SkippableMovies=Gearbox_logo
;SkippableMovies=Attract
;SkippableMovies=NVidia

Got up to lvl 14, almost 8 total hours. I've settled on the 90 FOV, with v-sync on of course. Ran very smooth even in 4 player games, when I could join that is =p. But I'm not sorry I got the PC version at all, it runs well and looks good. A few bugs at launch is a small price to pay for the patches, mods, tweaks and other cool PC stuff that will eventually come.

Very much more fun than watching the streams/vids made it out, at least to me. The gunplay really does have a good "feel". An ambitious combination of genre's could easily have been a disaster, but Gearbox pulled it off. Hopefully sales justify a sequel.

gillty

Banned
Firestorm said:
Just change WillowEngine.ini from the following:

[FullScreenMovie]
StartupMovies=2K_logo
StartupMovies=Gearbox_logo
StartupMovies=NVidia
StartupMovies=Loading
SkippableMovies=2K_logo
SkippableMovies=Gearbox_logo
SkippableMovies=Attract
SkippableMovies=NVidia

to this:

[FullScreenMovie]
;StartupMovies=2K_logo
;StartupMovies=Gearbox_logo
;StartupMovies=NVidia
;StartupMovies=Loading
;SkippableMovies=2K_logo
;SkippableMovies=Gearbox_logo
;SkippableMovies=Attract
;SkippableMovies=NVidia
or just go to
2K Games\Gearbox Software\Borderlands\WillowGame\Movies
rename or delete nvidia/gearbox_logo/2k_logo :lol

the attract movie is the intro when you start a new character i dunno i like it

Hawkian said:
God's Beard snatched up all the purples I saw drop on our run >;P
Actually, I probably got half of all the loot among the 4 of us. I remember someone saying the couldn't buy Transfusion grenades because it was 4K, and I already had around 30K and bought them right there. :lol

Right now I'm a lvl.19 Support Gunner(team ammo regen +2 omg) w/lvl.7 sniping ability, which is pretty sweet.

Also, Detonating Snipers are gifts from the gods. It's like playing a point and click flash game.

put about a half hour into it, it seems ok, ui is cumbersome (hitting enter/esc all the time), the little robot is already annoying 10 minutes into the game, picking up loot is a pain.

i fear torchlight will steal me away (comes out today) untill dragon age comes out.

Top Bottom