• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You can do it with a tweaking program like rivatuner, but you can also enable it through an *.ini file:

Within WillowEngine.ini:
Search for "UseVsync" and you should come across the following line:

UseVsync=False

Change to TRUE.

I haven't played a half-second of the game without it.

One of the best-performing games I own, by the way. Framerate drops below 60 only when there is a TON of detail onscreen, never because there's a lot of action.

vhfive

really loving this game (personal goty so far for me). just finished my first play through and
end game spoilers:
the fighting to get to the vault was awesome. fighting the aliens were a lot of fun and actually somewhat challenging. but the the vault itself was really disappointing. beat the last boss really easily and the loot that i got from it sucked. really feels like a wasted opportunity :/. oh well loved the game debating now wether to do my second play through now or try out a new class (ended with a level 36 hunter).

Hunter class is easily the weakest early on, especially solo. The problem is sniper rifles are useless against charging enemies and bosses early on. Later they become a lot stronger, as the damage starts to really escalate beyond what MG's are capable of, which are the best starting weapons from what i've seen. At level 23 the revolvers are just starting to pull their weight, though I may have been unlucky drop wise.

The final talent in the Rouge tree, Flock of Birds, has to be the single best talent in the game. It essentially makes his usable ability 6 times better, and considering working up that tree you give it epic damage, it heals you, and cripples enemies it can't kill it pretty much breaks the game. Right now all I have to do is throw my bloodhawk out and most enemies go down in one hit, essentially being massive AoE.

With the -15 seconds reduced cooldown from the Gunslinger tree, making it usable every 13 seconds, its going to be hilariously broken in my opinion.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm playing as Brick / Berserker, and I'm level 19. Try as I might, I'm not really happy with my skill distribution so far. I used the online skill tree thing to try to map out potential abilities, but even then I can't decide. All three tier 4 skills look good and I can't really pick.

Anyone have any good builds they've run?

Or, actually, I guess more usefully--any skills that people would caution AGAINST investing in? The Blaster Tree as a whole seems a little janky to me.

Wallach

TheHeretic said:
Hunter class is easily the weakest early on, especially solo. The problem is sniper rifles are useless against charging enemies and bosses early on. Later they become a lot stronger, as the damage starts to really escalate beyond what MG's are capable of, which are the best starting weapons from what i've seen. At level 23 the revolvers are just starting to pull their weight, though I may have been unlucky drop wise.

The final talent in the Rouge tree, Flock of Birds, has to be the single best talent in the game. It essentially makes his usable ability 6 times better, and considering working up that tree you give it epic damage, it heals you, and cripples enemies it can't kill it pretty much breaks the game. Right now all I have to do is throw my bloodhawk out and most enemies go down in one hit, essentially being massive AoE.

With the -15 seconds reduced cooldown from the Gunslinger tree, making it usable every 13 seconds, its going to be hilariously broken in my opinion.

You were probably struggling earlier because of bad drops. I think it takes a little while for sniper rifles to become very useful, and even then I only really use them to start an obvious fight and switch back to revolvers once distances have been closed a bit. To be honest I think revolver damage is probably a little broken at medium and closer distance, the mashers are silly.

I agree about the Bloodwing though. You can even continue to pump it up beyond the cap with your class mods; I don't think any of the other classes have an ability that compounds on all of the other skill bonuses so much.

Stumpokapow said:
I'm playing as Brick / Berserker, and I'm level 19. Try as I might, I'm not really happy with my skill distribution so far. I used the online skill tree thing to try to map out potential abilities, but even then I can't decide. All three tier 4 skills look good and I can't really pick.

Anyone have any good builds they've run?

Or, actually, I guess more usefully--any skills that people would caution AGAINST investing in? The Blaster Tree as a whole seems a little janky to me.

Rocket Launchers are terrible, hard to aim and don't do nearly enough damage. Considering the fun of the game is picking up new weapons playing as a melee junky seems pretty silly to me.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Wallach said:
I think you were probably struggling earlier because of bad drops. I think it takes a little while for sniper rifles to become very useful, and even then I only really use them to start an obvious fight and switch back to revolvers once distances have been closed a bit. To be honest I think revolver damage is probably a little broken at medium and closer distance, the mashers are silly.

I agree about the Bloodwing though. You can even continue to pump it up beyond the cap with your class mods; I don't think any of the other classes have an ability that compounds on all of the other skill bonuses so much.
Bloodhawk (proper name, you know it in your heart) is just crazy. All the other classes have some nice synergies with their abilities, but the hawk is just so insanely obvious. I mean attacking up to 6 fools with an already crazy damage'd thing is just so cool...and seeing it fly around on fire or as a poison cloud or whatever other artifact you have equipped it just so cool.

My berserker has got some good synergies going on, but nothing quite like "murder 6 times better". :lol
TheHeretic said:
Rocket Launchers are terrible, hard to aim and don't do nearly enough damage. Considering the fun of the game is picking up new weapons playing as a melee junky seems pretty silly to me.
Rockets are great on slow or stationary targets, or if the targets are just running straight at you...or bosses. You just need to find the right rocket launcher. Mine's got a good scope on it and can shoot two rounds pretty quick back to back, and if I beefed up the rocket tree I could really see some insane killing potential there (going to try it tonight).

For a non-zerker, though, I don't think rockets would be the bee's knees.

Hawkian said:
:lol Bird of Prey friend.

fyd7k8.png

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Took me a while to get the game working yesterday. First time I tried to run the preload, it gave me an error saying there was not enough memory to run it. All I had to do to fix that was to restart, but then it went through the decryption process which took a while. Then when I actually started the game, it was running REALLY laggy and I was getting disconnects when any sort of loading was going on (like switching locations), sounds were skipping, player voices were echoing, etc., and once I realized it did that in single player also I knew something was wrong. I decided to go full on driver update, defrag, etc., but I just got as far as driver update (I was only one behind anyway), deleting some old stuff on my HDD, and restarting before I tried again and it ran like a dream (I'm assuming the restart is what did it).

When it was all screwy, I had brought the settings all the way down to 1024x768 with every setting on low or no, and once I got it working fine I left it at that while I played, but I did a quick test before I went to sleep and was able to jack it up to 1680x1050 and turn on a few settings with only a negligible performance hit.

So, after only a couple hours work, I'm happy with it. In two decades of PC gaming I've only really started having this type of problem in the last month or so, starting with Dungeons and Dragons Online (which I still can't get to work right).

::edit::
RubxQub said:
Rockets are great on slow or stationary targets, or if the targets are just running straight at you...or bosses. You just need to find the right rocket launcher. Mine's got a good scope on it and can shoot two rounds pretty quick back to back, and if I beefed up the rocket tree I could really see some insane killing potential there (going to try it tonight).

I got a rocket launcher that I'm just going to keep around for long enough to test it out; figured I wouldn't get much actual mileage with it because 1. It doesn't really fit my hunter playstyle, 2. people keep telling me rocket launchers aren't all that great, and 3. the particular one I found has "weaksauce" right there in its name. :lol

RubxQub said:

On slow moving or stationary targets sniper rifles are king because a headshot is a guaranteed critical bonus and good rifles will give you +200% critical damage. Everyone i've heard from that used them and from reading agrees that they are mostly pretty terrible, nowhere near versatile enough to spec for.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
TheHeretic said:
On slow moving or stationary targets sniper rifles are king because a headshot is a guaranteed critical bonus and good rifles will give you +200% critical damage. Everyone i've heard from that used them and from reading agrees that they are mostly pretty terrible, nowhere near versatile enough to spec for.
I'll have a much better opinion tonight when I attempt to spec for them, but one thing that rockets have over snipers is splash damage.

My bloodhawk is so overpowered.. SO SO OVERPOWERED. He hits for like 1300 each at lvl 25.. and hits 6 or 7 targets :lol

By the way.. I couldn't believe it when...

SPOILERZ!!!

I found TK Baha's body friggen hung on a ceiling fan with blood everywhere.. I was so SAD :((((

:((

Duelist

I just picked Siren yesterday night and started to build her up in the Assassin tree only to realize that Phase Strike is broken.

Please fix it soon Gearbox. :(

mr afghan jones

Neo Member
Ive got a lvl 28 Berzerker and Im loving it.

ignore the rocket tree, its fairly toilet. Ive pumped up my health and shield and berzerker skills so currently got over 1000 health & 450 shield. Then as soon as I get a kill I get over 50% damage resistance and melee boost.

Basic tactics involve charging in with my 51 x 11 plus x3 explosion shotgun, waiting till Im close to death then activate berzerker, start regenning health and punching peoples faces in with a x2 explosion punch.

(shouting Falcon... Punch! or Shoryuken! is optional but fun when one hit killing pretty much every enemy.)

eznark

Banned
Hawkian said:
You can do it with a tweaking program like rivatuner, but you can also enable it through an *.ini file:

Within WillowEngine.ini:

UseVsync=False

Change to TRUE.

One of the best-performing games I own, by the way. Framerate drops below 60 only when there is a TON of detail onscreen, never because there's a lot of action.
I can't find WillowEngine.ini?

Nevermind, found it.

BioNut

Banned
Hawkian said:

Within WillowEngine.ini:

UseVsync=False

Change to TRUE.

What are your system specs?

I can't get above a 40 average with mine.
e8400 @ 3.6ghz
4 gigs ram
gtx275
vista 32

Of coarse my friend and I are having to use skype for voice chat which is known for eating my framerate in games. *shrug*

PS. We found out that it is easier to connect to each other with public games but that brings other problems. The griefers have already started. We had 4 separate people join our games at low levels and just come melee us constantly or aggro large groups of mobs and pull them onto us so we get killed.

This is a problem due to the difficulty of mobs with 4 people. Even though we were of oppropriate level when didnt stand a chance against the increased mobs. All the while we were getting killed the griefers would just run up and melee us until they were killed. As the host in a public game I had no way of kicking or banning them.

This is a huge oversight and something that is going to be abused. Luckily late last night he was actually able to connect to a private game hosted by me, before it had been endless time outs.

Just remember that accuracy is VERY important for sniper rifles. If the rifle won't hit where you aim, it's useless. You need those headshots. I generally go for 96-97 accuracy, but I haven't tested it thoroughly. Obviously certain talents will give you some leeway.

vehn

I don't understand how I die so quickly in this game. I was in this one dungeon with my friend and I was getting low on HP, but then I killed some dude and I leveled up (to 14) getting full hp / shield, but then less then a second later some guy pops out from the corner and instantly brings me down to 0 hp. Luckily co-op lets you rez your friend, would suck if it didn't

MoxManiac

Couple questions...

How does the PS3 version run (graphically) Is it a good port?

..also, is voice chat required for co-op? I have a headset, but do to the way I have sound (i use wireless headphones) it's not exactly a convienent thing to use.

Tokubetsu

It's all about Lilith. A couple seconds into a fight and everything is on fire and shooting sparks out their ass. It's great :lol

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
vehn said:
I don't understand how I die so quickly in this game. I was in this one dungeon with my friend and I was getting low on HP, but then I killed some dude and I leveled up (to 14) getting full hp / shield, but then less then a second later some guy pops out from the corner and instantly brings me down to 0 hp. Luckily co-op lets you rez your friend, would suck if it didn't
What level were the enemies? Me and my friends ran into some trouble with guys who were a few levels above us. We just kept getting knocked down, even though we were pelting them with rocket fire.

eznark

Banned
Woo hoo, it worked. For some reason it didn't save when I did it the first time.

How do you know if you have vsync enabled?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Loving the game, started off as Brick, got to level 14. Pumping up my Berserker stuff for the most part.

I've not had any issues with the PC interface, since 99% of the time you can click your way through "Hit enter for OK". The only issue I have is the PgUp/PgDn requirement for quest text.

Question: Is there a way to rapidly buy all the ammo you can hold, or is the only option just to click on it, buy ~50 shells at a time, until you have enough?

Similarly, is there a way to heal up outside of buying those "heal 20 health" one-shots at the medical kiosks? With Brick having a way to increase his health percentages, it gets annoying having to click my way to full health when there's no enemies around to drop healing items...

MoxManiac said:
Couple questions...

How does the PS3 version run (graphically) Is it a good port?

..also, is voice chat required for co-op? I have a headset, but do to the way I have sound (i use wireless headphones) it's not exactly a convienent thing to use.

Here's one comparision

Lens of Truth will have their comparision soon.
All in all though, looks like Gearbox did a good PS3 outing again with UE3. Brothers in Arms was also solid.

Parked my hunter at 26 to start over with friends a bit (I've been rationing myself like mad in this game) and started playing brick to 17 so far. I really really don't like his talents. Tier 3 talent with resistance to explosive damage? weak. I'm probably going to go some combo of brawler tank, but even those skills are meh. Some tank skills are pretty bleh. Brick seems way one dimensional to me. Maybe I'll try an explosives based brick at some point when I have more points to invest.

DieH@rd

Banned
Hawkian said:

Within WillowEngine.ini:

UseVsync=False

Change to TRUE.

THANKS for info. I just started playing with soldier. Not bad.

Definity said:
1UP linked to my thread over in the gearbox forums where multiple people have stated they lost all skill points for characters when leaving/joining a game. This is a game breaking bug so I can't stress it enough...make backup copies of your characters until gearbox gets a patch out there.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=78259

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176654

You know I've read your thread there and heard the cries of others. I don't think its as widespread as some make it out to be but regardless it sucks major donkey balls and I hope that Gearbox can get a patch out to fix it. Loosing all that work would just truly ruin a day.

So yeah, I hit 50 last night and I have to say, Lilith can get to be pretty fucking broken. Between elemental buffs, massive x4 fire rockets, corrosive rain grenades, phase blasting with incendiary and Spark causing lightning damage on things close by, and Phoenix kicking in once something goes down, I pretty much just drop 4 or 5 DoTs on everything around me and watch the enemy crumble. I walked through endgame level 50 badmutha elite infantry with one shot. If I go down from running into the middle of 6 enemies, I immediately come back to life from crazy DoT's just second winding the hell out of me.

My build right now is specced all over the place with some points here, points there:Lilith Spec.

Im going to have to sit down and actually consider what I want to do with it to maximise things(not to mention various class mods switching up the balance), but considering I respec basically all the time and it's dirt cheap to do so, I think I'll just keep going until I find the perfect build. Right now, this is pretty fucking disgusting, and I love just taking on the level 50-52 final area enemies and obliterating everything (right now my class mod gives me +17 SMG ammo regen and a +52% modifier to SMG damage, so it works great for chewing through the shields of the ridiculously shielded enemies at the end, and then my rockets/grenades handle anything a little softer)

But when everything is said and done, I think every class can be pimped in such a way to just make it broken (seeing Mordecai's crazy 13 sec bird cooldown + 6 enemy attack + healing + elemental + dazing...good god man, its at least as dirty as my crazy DoTs)

Also, I can't figure out how to start playthrough 3. Should it just be a simple option like 2 was, or did my game fuck up somehow and is now glitched and wont let me do one?

EDIT: After 2 seconds of google searching that I should have done ahead of time, I realize there is no playthrough 3. Thats unfortunate. Hopefully I can refight bosses or something to get new loot.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
You know I've read your thread there and heard the cries of others. I don't think its as widespread as some make it out to be but regardless it sucks major donkey balls and I hope that Gearbox can get a patch out to fix it. Loosing all that work would just truly ruin a day.

If it's repeatable and happening to more than one user, it's bullshit.

Tokubetsu

I like playing myself just as much if not more than partying up. Mainly because I get the loot all to myself like the greedy selfish bastard I am.

poweld

Definity said:
1UP linked to my thread over in the gearbox forums where multiple people have stated they lost all skill points for characters when leaving/joining a game. This is a game breaking bug so I can't stress it enough...make backup copies of your characters until gearbox gets a patch out there.

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=78259

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176654
Oh... hey man, didn't know you rolled with PC gaming :)

edit: nvm :lol

Man, what a bummer though, losing your save...

tjohn86 said:
Anyone got any tips / thoughts on where to put soldier skill points?
I'm only a level 10, but I've been whoring most all of my points towards the damage increase for all weapons. I can take on enemies that are 2+ higher with little difficulty.

Oh yeah, and thanks Borderlands GAF for convincing me to get it, I got my X360 copy last night for free :D

FinKL

Is it me, or do bullets take a while to travel?

Like coming from CS, where the moment you press the button, the bullet registers in a straight path, I've noticed that sniping with a Pistol, the bullet has a slight time delay lag till it hits the wall/ground. This is single player, multi was broken last night =/

Major Williams said:
I'm only a level 10, but I've been whoring most all of my points towards the damage increase for all weapons. I can take on enemies that are 2+ higher with little difficulty.

Oh yeah, and thanks Borderlands GAF for convincing me to get it, I got my X360 copy last night for free :D
so far the shotgun slots and the turret strength and things to assist friendlies. so strong middle branch and a little to left and a little to the right. soldier is already well rounded. and alternate weapon use to to boost proficency on the weapons.

Top Bottom