• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Monroeski said:
It's not about lazy, it's about not wanting to take a break in the action to move my finger off the keyboard to find and hit the mute button. If I'm in the middle of a firefight I'm not going to take the time to take my headset off and set it somewhere that people can't hear what's going on. Push to talk is superior in every way imo, though I guess if you don't have the thumb button on your mouse I could see why you wouldn't like it (though practically every mouse I've seen that isn't $5 or a prebuilt PC pack in has those buttons).

My headset had a mute button right on it, easy to push in the middle of even intense firefights. I disagree 100% that push to talk would be a better solution for a 4 player co-op game you will likely be playing with friends most of the time. For this type of game it would needlessly complicates the in-game communication.

Monroeski said:
Nice. Definitely want to use this one.

Am I the only person that uses the F key for crouch? C or LCTRL just feels awkward to me though those are usually the defaults. A little weird to reach for plus you likely have to take a finger off of wasd when you do it. I much prefer using my free index finger.

Yes.

But seriously, some people have some WEIRD control preferences out there :)

Then again, some games push equally weird controls ON to you - Morrowind "E" for Jump as an example.

Kydd BlaZe said:
This is pretty much a byproduct of the Unreal Engine 3. Every online game that I can think of that uses the engine has this problem. "Bullet lag" is especially apparent, and much much worse in the Gears of War series.
You must be trolling.

Kydd BlaZe

practice02 said:
You must be trolling.
Nah, im dead serious. No troll attempt. Just something that i've noticed in ALL UE3 online games. Gears 1 & 2, RB6V 1 & 2, Borderlands, Frontlines, etc..

Firing a gun in each game mentioned above usually results in the bullets taking a second or a split second to reach its target. UE3 handles lag in such a weird way. Depending on how good the host's connection is, the bullets may take a bit longer to reach it's target than usual.

Did we figure out how to get co-op working?
I heard something about port fwding, but I don't think I have the ability to do that.
I'm at college, on their net. fuck

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Kydd BlaZe said:
Nah, im dead serious. No troll attempt. Just something that i've noticed in ALL UE3 online games. Gears 1 & 2, RB6V 1 & 2, Borderlands, Frontlines, etc..

Firing a gun in each game mentioned above usually results in the bullets taking a second or a split second to reach its target.

That's not (in Borderlands at least) "bullet lag." The bullets are actually taking time to reach their targets as in real life. Borderlands is not hitscan. Lilith has a skill that increases bullet velocities, and some guns obviously propel their bullets faster and with more force. Odd, considering how unrealistic everything else about the game is, but that's the way it is!

Zzoram

Mo the Hawk said:
Help me, PC-GAF!

Even with the settings dialed down to Low on everything and running it windowed at sub-standard resolution (running at 1360x768 on my 1680x1050 monitor), I still can't achieve an fps above 30, much less one above 15 when the shit hits the fan. Which part of this setup is holding me back the most?

Windows 7 64-bit
Pentium Dual-Core E5400 @ 2.70GHz
4 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4350

It's most noticeable while dragging the mouse around in menus. Even after disabling mouse smoothing in the .ini file, I still feel like I'm dragging that pointer across sandpaper.

The video card is the weak link, as it always is in PC gaming. If it is a desktop and not a laptop, consider upgrading to an HD4890 for $200 or HD5770 for $160 on Newegg. With an HD4890, you'll be running it everything else max at 1680x1050. The HD5770 is a bit slower but cheaper by enough to consider it if you're tight on money. If you're really tight on money, the HD5750 can be had for as little as $130 and is pretty great bang for the buck.

Grecco

Anyone know where the smoke signals in Old Haven are specifically the Junkyard one. I cant find it and the mobs there are kicking my ass.

Zzoram

Grecco said:
Anyone know where the smoke signals in Old Haven are specifically the Junkyard one. I cant find it and the mobs there are kicking my ass.

Look up. You'll see huge black pillars of smoke.

Grecco said:

Look for smoke.

EDIT: I had fun in there. It felt like they were just spawning everywhere around me. I thought it was cool that they tried flanking me instead of rushing straight at me.

Grecco said:

You can see the smoke rising into the air pretty much anywhere in the zone.

Zzoram

Stumpokapow said:
I'm playing as Brick / Berserker, and I'm level 19. Try as I might, I'm not really happy with my skill distribution so far. I used the online skill tree thing to try to map out potential abilities, but even then I can't decide. All three tier 4 skills look good and I can't really pick.

Anyone have any good builds they've run?

Or, actually, I guess more usefully--any skills that people would caution AGAINST investing in? The Blaster Tree as a whole seems a little janky to me.

Rocket launchers in this game aren't that great. A tree mostly devoted to making them useful is nice, but I find I'm still better off going Combat Rifle and Sniper Rifle and ignoring the Rocket boosting skills.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
SuperEnemyCrab said:
My headset had a mute button right on it, easy to push in the middle of even intense firefights. I disagree 100% that push to talk would be a better solution for a 4 player co-op game you will likely be playing with friends most of the time. For this type of game it would needlessly complicates the in-game communication.
I guess I will just never understand why people would prefer moving their hand away from their movement keys over simply hitting a button that is already directly underneath your thumb. To each his own.

Hawkian said:
That's not (in Borderlands at least) "bullet lag." The bullets are actually taking time to reach their targets as in real life. Borderlands is not hitscan. Lilith has a skill that increases bullet velocities, and some guns obviously propel their bullets faster and with more force. Odd, considering how unrealistic everything else about the game is, but that's the way it is!
I haven't decided yet whether or not I like the degree of difficulty this adds to my sniping. :lol

Zzoram

MoxManiac said:
Couple questions...

How does the PS3 version run (graphically) Is it a good port?

..also, is voice chat required for co-op? I have a headset, but do to the way I have sound (i use wireless headphones) it's not exactly a convienent thing to use.

It's good.

Co-op would be a huge pain without a headset unless you're just playing splitscreen. The only way it would work is if 1 guy had a mic and becomes your leader, telling you what to do so you can stay coordinated.

datamage

Hawkian said:
--------------------------------------------------

Another good one:
To enable scroll wheel in text boxes:
-----------------------------------
Within WillowInput.ini

Search for all instances of the following (there should only be two instances):

InputKeyName="MouseScrollUp",ModifierKeyFlags=42
InputKeyName="MouseScrollDown",ModifierKeyFlags=42

remove the ",ModifierKeyFlags=42" so they look like:

InputKeyName="MouseScrollUp"
InputKeyName="MouseScrollDown"

--

This is great, thanks a ton. I don't mind making these changes manually (for now)- but Gearbox really needs to patch the PC version. Some of this stuff is just silly.

charsace

I'm at work right now. I should be looking into better ways to manage inmate data. Instead I am thinking about what new power I will get for my Siren. This game could possibly be GOTY.

charsace said:
I'm at work right now. I should be looking into better ways to manage inmate data. Instead I am thinking about what new power I will get for my Siren. This game could possibly be GOTY.

Me too. I'm thinking about where I should redistribute some skill points. Silent Resolve is supposedly broken according to some posters on the official Borderlands forum. I'm thinking 5 points into Enforcer would be best but 4 extra seconds of Phasewalk is pretty good too.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Re-rented the game. Finally ran into the infamous PS3 framerate drop/lag in Old Haven around level 49-50.

DING: Level 50 and 1000gs/Platinum for me. w00t.

*collapses*

Not touching this game again now that I'm done with seeing everything unless there is another "Red Rider BB Gun" secret in it.

notworksafe

Stumpokapow said:
I'm playing as Brick / Berserker, and I'm level 19. Try as I might, I'm not really happy with my skill distribution so far. I used the online skill tree thing to try to map out potential abilities, but even then I can't decide. All three tier 4 skills look good and I can't really pick.

Anyone have any good builds they've run?

Or, actually, I guess more usefully--any skills that people would caution AGAINST investing in? The Blaster Tree as a whole seems a little janky to me.

I agree. I'm going mostly Tank/Brawler. I do like the -recoil skill in the Blaster tree but the rest don't seem that useful.

EDIT: This is my planned talent layout. I'm only level 11 now so it may change as I get into a more solid playstyle.

2mxe7vo.jpg

Monroeski said:
I guess I will just never understand why people would prefer moving their hand away from their movement keys over simply hitting a button that is already directly underneath your thumb. To each his own.l

What you aren't understanding is that in this type of game I don't see myself having to mute my mic very often. Yes it takes more effort, but for the few amount of times I plan on doing it, it vastly outweighs having to hit a button every time I wish to speak. In large VS multiplayer games yeah it makes sense, but in the context of this game push to talk doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Just checking in..

::bow:: gearbox! I love Borderlands.. the shooting, the loot, the graphics all feel so right!

I would also like to add that the fall winter gaming season is amazing:

ODST - Borderlands - Forza 3 - Dragon Age: Origins - Modern Warfare 2

wow its a great time to be a gamer!

Wallach

notworksafe said:
I agree. I'm going mostly Tank/Brawler. I do like the -recoil skill in the Blaster tree but the rest don't seem that useful.

Berserk is pretty powerful for the first play through, but I don't know how well it holds up in 2nd and up. Most of the folks that I've talked to that have taken Brick that far say it simply doesn't keep up well enough even with skills & class mods propping it up.

Blizzard

Banned
SuperEnemyCrab said:
What you aren't understanding is that in this type of game I don't see myself having to mute my mic very often. Yes it takes more effort, but for the few amount of times I plan on doing it, it vastly outweighs having to hit a button every time I wish to speak. In large VS multiplayer games yeah it makes sense, but in the context of this game push to talk doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
The biggest reason for push to talk is a lot of online people (idiots and otherwise) have really loud, clipping, mics, are playing on speakers, like to yell or scream, etc. etc.

In TF2 you can mute them. In L4D you can't mute your teammates without muting everyone. In this game you presumably can't mute anyone -- if someone has a loud, echoing microphone, you wouldn't just hear it for the two seconds it took for them to say something. Also, apparently no kick option in random games on PC, another reason for me to not want to play them. :(

JetBlackPanda said:
I would also like to add that the fall winter gaming season is amazing:

ODST - Borderlands - Forza 3 - Dragon Age: Origins - Modern Warfare 2

wow its a great time to be a gamer!

Add Uncharted 2 to that and you've got one hell of a lineup.:D

Blizzard said:
The biggest reason for push to talk is a lot of online people (idiots and otherwise) have really loud, clipping, mics, are playing on speakers, like to yell or scream, etc. etc.(

Oh I know all about that, but in this game I would just quit and find a new one if that were the case, or let the person know. There are other reasons I would prefer to play this particular game with friends or at least other gaffers besides mic feedback, as well.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
TheSeks said:
Re-rented the game. Finally ran into the infamous PS3 framerate drop/lag in Old Haven around level 49-50.

DING: Level 50 and 1000gs/Platinum for me. w00t.

*collapses*

Not touching this game again now that I'm done with seeing everything unless there is another "Red Rider BB Gun" secret in it.

Also to add: Skill tree I used.

It's solo-able, depending on your gear and your ability to know when to hold them your ground, know when to fold them, and when to phasewalk away. But with a good teammate (Mordichai or Soldier) that can heal/take out enemies quickly along with you. Your SMG (mine was like... 67 or so) will do some serious damage with quicksilver amped up fully after you max controller (for survivability).

I think the best gun I have is like a 1707 RPG. Everything else was in the 800's, shield was 711 or there about.

Can't be assed to check. Too tired from climbing to 50.

Kydd BlaZe said:

Firing a gun in each game mentioned above usually results in the bullets taking a second or a split second to reach its target. UE3 handles lag in such a weird way. Depending on how good the host's connection is, the bullets may take a bit longer to reach it's target than usual.
it does this even if you are in single player it's intentional.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
K.Jack said:
Wow FOV 90 is so awesome. Finally iron sights from range are useful. :lol

How did you get this to stick? Anytime I sprint or some other things (I think even using iron sights, making your comment puzzling) resets it back to 60.

90 is my preference too.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
SuperEnemyCrab said:
I get that, but what YOU aren't understanding is that my way takes essentially no additional effort whatsoever outside of depressing your thumb two millimeters. :D

bogg

This has probably been brought up, but once again pirates win. I bought the game from steam but it wont unlock till the 30, while a few of my steam list buddies downloaded the game. While I wait for the game to unlock, they are playing online with no problems at all according to them. This makes me sad ):

Hawkian said:
How did you get this to stick? Anytime I sprint or some other things (I think even using iron sights, making your comment puzzling) resets it back to 60.

90 is my preference too.

I set mine to 240. Sprinting is a spiritual experience.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Dude there's class mods that LOWER your active special ability cooldown :lol I saw one for me (hunter) that lowered it by 28% on top of the specs you get to lower it..

I didn't buy it off the vendor but the second I see one like that again + extra bird attacks I'll get one since my bird currently attacks 8 targets with one special thanks to a class mod that adds +2 to the ult +6 it already has lol

Monroeski said:
I get that, but what YOU aren't understanding is that my way takes essentially no additional effort whatsoever outside of depressing your thumb two millimeters. :D

Again, and again, and again, and again, and again....:D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Guys, stop arguing about push to talk, obviously it'd be nice if the OPTION were included, and help me fix my FOV :lol

EDIT:
Slayer-33 said:
Dude there's class mods that LOWER your active special ability cooldown :lol I saw one for me (hunter) that lowered it by 28% on top of the specs you get to lower it..

I didn't buy it off the vendor but the second I see one like that again + extra bird attacks I'll get one since my bird currently attacks 8 targets with one special thanks to a class mod that adds +2 to the ult +6 it already has lol

DAMNIT I WANT THAT

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
God's Beard said:
call me when the birdy can attack the SAME target 8 times.

have two high hp enemies next to each other is the best you can do, he'll bounce off both of them 4 times each I'm using the explosion artifact too, good against those brute bastards.

Slayer-33 said:

lol, only 8, I got one that will do 10 and adds and extra +3 to my cooldown, by the time my bird is done attacking I can throw him out again. It comes in useful against bandits and midgets who respawn out of the huts, because my bird will just instantly kill anything that spawns, leaving a big pile of dead bandits in front of their little hut spawn.

I also will say that there ARE level 5 artifacts.

Teknoman

I think I need a new mic then. Still using this Logitech USB mic from waaaay back. Like PS2 online days back.

Also I have Borderlands allowed on Windows Firewall (was already checked), so im guessing others might have had things blocked or something?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If you aren't playing Borderlands coop, you're doing it wrong

No, co-op is better but it also works for me as a single player game. It's still fun for me, sometimes (like last night) I prefer to just go solo and do things my way.

P.S. Looks like PC Borderlands has taken over the thread so I'll have to go somewhere else to talk about the actual game.

Top Bottom