• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

mandiller

About 11 hours to go until the Australian release of Borderlands on Steam. Wish I had of been playing it when it was released in the US, damn delay.

I'm thinking of either playing as Lilith or Roland. Who is more fun to play as? Lilith's phasework looks cool, but Roland's healing and straight forwardness make him a safe bet.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still just level 13, but I found a rocket launcher that fires three rockets in rapid succession every time you pull the trigger that is SWEET. Not amazingly functional, but fun as all hell.

Wow! Just had a really good co-op run with a friend on PS3, with the only hitch him not appearing on my friends list when he first logged in. So, I reset my machine with him still waiting in his single player, found that he now appeared...and invited and off we went.

Such a good co-op game! Single player is brilliant as is, but we're facing a healthy challenge with two people upping the ante with enemies. Both realised we're going to be sinking a lot of time into this one. From the start and up until Bonehead, it was a good session. Next time, it's just a casual XP run through Scag Gully to grind out until we can knock down Bonehead.

Ah, good times. And for him being in Australia, myself in Japan, the Down Under lag was non-existent, outside of a few seconds of mike scrambling.

Grecco

Brick is broken? wat? Nobody likes him? why?

I love Brick. got him to lvl 42 and ill get him to 50 eventually.

Only problem is i haved the ability that the punches also charge at guys.... and thats not good when you charge a guy thats next to the border of a zone... ive fallen to my death twice. 150k repairs :(

Lord Phol

DMPrince said:
how do i kick a player out of the group? there's this russian chick that isn't playing and is screaming into the mic at her kids :lol wtf.

:lol crazy russian housewives.
Start -> Lobby -> Select Player -> Kick

teacupcopter said:
So I already have an almost lvl 20 roland

how is brick playing? People have been saying no-one is playing him, is that because he is shitty? :( a mate is getting the game unlocked tomorrow and I'm starting a new character for just playing with him. He wants Lillith so I want either brick or Mordecai. But if Brick is just obviously broken then I'll go the sniper

I am done with the game now but finished with a level 38 brick. I actually had a level 18 Moredcai, wasn't feeling him and switched to Brick. If there is a Borderlands 2 I'm going for whoever is most similar to him. You can still do big time damage with guns...other classes of comparable levels (Hunter and Soldier especially) probably did more damage than me but it wasn't that noticeable. With my tree I was recharging my shields at an incredible rate the second they were depleted...and that's amazing considering my characters health and shield stats. On Old Haven I helped my teams numerous times by going berserk, soaking up damage and pretty much killing anyone around me.

As a berserker I'm hard to take down once I get my first kill. Every kill gives me health (and health recharges automatically anyway so quite a boost), every kill INCREASES my defense considerably for a few seconds, my fists are doing high level shotgun damage at faster rate of fire than most repeaters, and I'm just corroding everyone I touch.

What determines how far out a weapon can hit a person? Because the game obviously employs some shooting mechanic where, after a set range, the bullets seem to just disappear - a point at which they're just not effective. For some guns I own that range is very short, even scoped combat rifles, while other weapons (even w/o scopes, or pistols) can hit targets at sniping range. It's not the Accuracy stat, is it? It seems like it's more some random hidden stat - one which really doesn't depend on the kind of gun it is. It's frustrating aiming through a scope, firing, and then noticing the bullets aren't even reaching the target.

K' Dash

DMPrince said:
how do i kick a player out of the group? there's this russian chick that isn't playing and is screaming into the mic at her kids :lol wtf.

:lol :lol

OMG picturing this made my day :lol :lol :lol :lol

Allright yall

Open up ports 7777 and 28910 on your router if you are having trouble hosting/joining games with your friends!

I feel so happy.

ghostmind

Yeah, Brick is awesome - level 26 so far. With the elemental artifacts added on his berserker is (almost) unstoppable. I range with my mad pistol (700 dmg + sniper-level scope) to soften them up and then berserk in and watch the numbers fly off them. Also use the special skill to heal up - haven't bought a med kit since the early levels.

Fuck this game is awesome.

Dunlop

Grecco said:
Brick is broken? wat? Nobody likes him? why?

I love Brick. got him to lvl 42 and ill get him to 50 eventually.

Only problem is i haved the ability that the punches also charge at guys.... and thats not good when you charge a guy thats next to the border of a zone... ive fallen to my death twice. 150k repairs :(

I absolutely love the Brick, but I don't think I have ever grouped with another one. I picked up my first artifact that gave me fire damage on all my punches...which ends up being annoying as all I see is fire in my face when I am trying to run around and smoosh 10 mobs :D

I actually want to let my Hunter sit because I found an sniper rifle at level 24 that I have never had to replace.

It's an Orange and the way it was generated it has Fire x 4 with "high elemental damage text" and the "pele demands a sacrifice text" which I looked up and it means extreme fire damage, that all stacks.

I can literally fire a single shot into a close group of three raiders, they will all catch on fire in the ensuing fireball and burn up... in one shot, this is at level 44...with a level 24 rifle :lol

drizzle

Axel Hertz
out0v0rder said:
Open up ports 7777 and 28910 on your router if you are having trouble hosting/joining games with your friends!
So are THOSE the ports needed? I keep hearing reports of retarded people saying that you need 23 different ports routed (which is obviously wrong). Then I found a more cohesive thread on the GearBox forums (http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=77897) talking about 6 different ports needed (that's more like it), and now you come and say that only those two are needed (which makes the most sense, since you, as the server, theoretically only opens TWO Servers that need to be reachable: The server itself and the Voice server).

But there's still no official answer. And I can't test, because I live overseas and the game won't unlock for me for the next 8 hours. Did it work for you without a hitch by mapping only those two?

Insaniac

I've decided to start a new Hunter, gonna try a gun-slinger build, anyone wanna start a new char with me? :) :) GT TheLintendo

I'm interested in a trying gunslinger with a machinepistol, sounds like fun :lol

Anerythristic said:
I actually want to let my Hunter sit because I found an sniper rifle at level 24 that I have never had to replace.

It's an Orange and the way it was generated it has Fire x 4 with "high elemental damage text" and the "pele demands a sacrifice text" which I looked up and it means extreme fire damage, that all stacks.

I can literally fire a single shot into a close group of three raiders, they will all catch on fire in the ensuing fireball and burn up... in one shot, this is at level 44...with a level 24 rifle :lol

whats your sniper called? I recently found an orange one that does the same thing (burning volcano or something)

Played with some of you guys online for the first time last night. I was a level 4 playing with like low 20s. Played a little bit more on some random online server. I am level 11 now and im playing through the single player, holy shit!!! its so much fun because I have such badass guns and im just rocking everything. Im about to fight the first boss though, the nine toe guy. We shall see how easy it is.

Do the guns just keep getting cooler and cooler?? right now i just have like two pistols, one with a scope, that do about 18 and 25 damage.

Insaniac said:
I've decided to start a new Hunter, gonna try a gun-slinger build, anyone wanna start a new char with me? :) :) GT TheLintendo

I'm interested in a trying gunslinger with a machinepistol, sounds like fun :lol

whats your sniper called? I recently found an orange one that does the same thing (burning volcano or something)

GGN Hard Volcano

Cahill

Banned
TrAcEr_x90 said:
Do the guns just keep getting cooler and cooler?? right now i just have like two pistols, one with a scope, that do about 18 and 25 damage.

Yes... (for the most part). Right now, my Siren is using a rapid-fire X11 shotgun that's just insane, a corrosive shotgun and lightning and corrosive SMGs - I often swap out to a explosive sniper and muti-shot lightning rocket-launcher when the opportunities present themselves.

Probably a stupid question, but anyone know how to open the gate to Dohl Headland? I have some quests to do in there but the gate is shut and I can't find a button to open it.

Cahill

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Probably a stupid question, but anyone know how to open the gate to Dohl Headland? I have some quests to do in there but the gate is shut and I can't find a button to open it.

You'll get it through another quest (might be a main story one).
So just do some of the other quest you have in the area.

Cahill said:
You'll get it through another quest (might be a main story one).
So just do some of the other quest you have in the area.

Boo :(

I was hoping to do some quick side missions before
killing Sledge
. I failed miserably the first time and didn't really feel like finishing that quest :lol

Frostburn

funkmastergeneral said:
It uses Gamespy's client server tech... I think the last time I used Gamespy was for Half-life deathmatch. Yes it does suck, most people haven't had a ton of issues but it is certainly a hassle.

Random thought: I wonder what a group of 4 Bricks would be like, with each of 'em carrying a class mod that boosts team health and team melee damage.

mr afghan jones said:
Ive been playing as Brick and bloody loving it.

Currently level 30, and have focused on his Tank & Brawler trees. (The Blaster one is wank.)
His Blaster tree can be useful actually. Find a decent rocket launcher or a decent weapon with the explosive element like an SMG and he'll quickly take care of most enemies provided you distributed your skill points wisely. A good Blast Master class mod also helps.

Lord Phol said:
Eff, they really screwed up with the PS3 port, my game runs nothing like that :(.
Framerate of the Xbox 360 version chugs a lot too.

Dance In My Blood said:
But...he goes down an innumerable number of times.
Dude can't handle his own rage.

poweld

RotBot said:
Borderlands doesn't have uPnP support? I haven't had to forward ports for games since the 90s.
UPnP? No. Thank. You.

I'd rather forward a couple ports than trust someone else to do it for me, thank you very much.

Grecco

Dance In My Blood said:
But...he goes down an innumerable number of times.

Being the melle class does that. Eventually when you boost his health points you dont go down so much. I got Hardened + Centurion mod + Health boosting shield =crazy HP

This game is virtual crack. Haven't been to GAF in days because all of my free time has been swallowed up by this game.

Took yesterday off work *cough* only to find everybody on my friends list was also at home in the early afternoon, playing Borderlands.

Don't any of you have jobs?!

BTW - Are there any good resources out there yet that goes into detail on weapon stats, formulas, etc.?

Philthy

MicVlaD said:
Framerate of the Xbox 360 version chugs a lot too.

I've only seen it chug with a particular death animation of those purple things in the caves, otherwise I haven't seen my 360 chug "a lot" anywhere else in the game yet.

rainking187 said:
I've found what I consider to be a fairly major flaw in co-op, I'm playing with my character I've completed every mission with, so when they pick a mission it shows up with checkmarks since I've already done it. Meaning I have absolutely no idea how much of the mission they've already completed.
I completely agree. It wouldn't have been too hard to add another column of boxes. Have [your progress] and [mission progress] or something. It was quite annoying when playing through with a buddy.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
poweld said:
UPnP? No. Thank. You.

I'd rather forward a couple ports than trust someone else to do it for me, thank you very much.

Exactly. I'd like to know WTF Is going on on my ports, thank you very much. I don't know why everybody throws a hissy fit when they have to forward ports on a router. It's the easiest thing on the world (providing you have a good router). If you don't.. well.. that's what you get for not having a good router!

Now, please, Gearbox, provide the information of WHICH PORTS NEED ROUTING and WHAT DO THEY DO.

The ports provided on the readme.txt are not enough, apparently.

Philthy said:
I've only seen it chug with a particular death animation of those purple things in the caves, otherwise I haven't seen my 360 chug "a lot" anywhere else in the game yet.
Numerous particle effects slow the game down quite a bit if you happen to be close to them. The gore / blood after a headshot with the shotgun on a bandit for instance, dozens of numbers or critical hits floating about thanks to a fast-firing SMG / combat rifle and the dustclouds Spiderants create after emerging or jumping at you. Anything with the Shock elemental also tends to hit the framerate hard at close-quarters, as does using the scope on an enemy that's only a few meters away (and not just the large foes). Furthermore, some of the later environments push the engine as well, but those framerate drops aren't as noticeable as the aforementioned examples.

This happens both off- and online, so I know the performance drops aren't caused by lag. I've installed the game, so it's not as if the Xbox 360's disc tray can't keep up with my actions either. That said: there does seem to be less slowdown when playing as a mid-range Soldier or a long-range Hunter as opposed to a CQC Brick, but not by all that much.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the game, but Borderlands certainly ain't a properly optimized UE3 game on consoles. Not that there are many of those mind you...

Well.... I thought I would never say this.... but I am starting to get bored with the game.

It seems I have already found all of the best weapons for any class..... done all the missions for both play throughs..... already earned 1,000 gamer points. (did that shortly after release).

I guess I will just be waiting for Dragon Age to drop now.

Also can't wait for the new DLC for this game and Borderlands 2.

It was an awesome game while it had my attention... hell some days I played for 10+ hours at a time.... it's just now I get bored really quick as everything I find is now shit.

MicVlaD said:
Numerous particle effects slow the game down quite a bit if you happen to be close to them. The gore / blood after a headshot with the shotgun on a bandit for instance, dozens of numbers or critical hits floating about thanks to a fast-firing SMG / combat rifle and the dustclouds Spiderants create after emerging or jumping at you. Anything with the Shock elemental also tends to hit the framerate hard at close-quarters, as does using the scope on an enemy that's only a few meters away (and not just the large foes). Furthermore, some of the later environments push the engine as well, but those framerate drops aren't as noticeable as the aforementioned examples.

This happens both off- and online, so I know the performance drops aren't caused by lag. I've installed the game, so it's not as if the Xbox 360's disc tray can't keep up with my actions either. That said: there does seem to be less slowdown when playing as a mid-range Soldier or a long-range Hunter as opposed to a CQC Brick, but not by all that much.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the game, but Borderlands certainly ain't a properly optimized UE3 game on consoles. Not that there are many of those mind you...
Dude I have seen framerate dops but not as drastic as you mention what is the chipset in your 360?

oktarb

NullPointer said:
This game is virtual crack. Haven't been to GAF in days because all of my free time has been swallowed up by this game.

Took yesterday off work *cough* only to find everybody on my friends list was also at home in the early afternoon, playing Borderlands.

BTW - Are there any good resources out there yet that goes into detail on weapon stats, formulas, etc.?

You must be contagious. I too got the *cough* the very next day. Been a long while since I’ve played sick from work. I always joke about it but it never happens. Borderlands is evil. I did get to beat the first run thru so I guess the sick day was worth it.

I truely hope that they make alot of DLC AND the make it HARD.

NullPointer said:

I did it like this for a number of days. Couldn't get off of the game to save my life.

It was work/borderlands/3hours of sleep then right back to work the next day just to repeat it all over.

Top Bottom