• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Lord Phol said:
Eff, they really screwed up with the PS3 port, my game runs nothing like that :(.

Actually, outside of some mike scrambling in two-player online co-op during zone loading and such, I'm yet to see a hiccup. I dunno, perhaps I'm not picky, but I think it has for the most part come away successful in the whole multiplatform release...especially when many on the PS3 have not.

Pylon_Trooper said:
Actually, outside of some mike scrambling in two-player online co-op during zone loading and such, I'm yet to see a hiccup. I dunno, perhaps I'm not picky, but I think it has for the most part come away successful in the whole multiplatform release...especially when many on the PS3 have not.
Yeah... really wasnt that bad on my end either... A few rough spots, but smooff sailing overall.

Mrbob

Any news on the PC patch yet?

I thought the game was delayed a week on the PC for a day 1 patch, and as far as I know it hasn't hit.

A few have alluded to the contrary, but I really hope the PS3 version doesn't run as poorly as a lot of people have described.

Are the issues really that bad? I'm assuming there is some exaggeration in the negative reports.

I'll have it tomorrow for PS3 and I'm really looking forward to playing.

charsace said:
What characters level the revolver?
All them ones you kill with one.

Also, the PS3 version is mostly ok. Loading times suck balls... some instances of slowdown, but the game remains very playable.

TheFallen said:
It has 0 accuracy if I recall. :lol
You recall right, if i recall.

Calavera520 said:
A few have alluded to the contrary, but I really hope the PS3 version doesn't run as poorly as a lot of people have described.

Are the issues really that bad? I'm assuming there is some exaggeration in the negative reports.

I rented and played through the whole thing single player and it seemed fine to me.

charsace

Fistwell said:
All them ones you kill with one.

Also, the PS3 version is mostly ok. Loading times suck balls... some instances of slowdown, but the game remains very playable.

You recall right, if i recall.
Really? On the PC version I am playing as the Siren and she doesn't have the revolver listed as a weapon to be leveled up.

charsace said:
Really? On the PC version I am playing as the Siren and she doesn't have the revolver listed as a weapon to be leveled up.
Real weird. I played as one, PS3 version, and the revolver appeared like any other weapon class. Anyone else can comment on that?

Teknoman

I wonder if gearbox really can find a way to let people host games without messing with port forwarding.

Also if I can host say...Diablo II on my end via IP address, should I just wait and see if Gearbox can come up with some kind of fix? Unless im thinking about this the wrong way (being able to host one game, I should be able to host any PC game?).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
D2 actually wasn't strict p2p. If the host left in a d2 game, battle.net made a different player host. Essentially if you could connect to battle.net, you could host games with only tiny exceptions. This is different :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The "pistols" weapon proficiency helps out repeaters, machine pistols, and revolvers.

Revolver ammo is nothing like repeater ammo though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Teknoman said:
Im this close to just trying to play in public games. Really wish my invites would just work though lol.
HOW TO BE ABLE TO HOST GAMES (Note joiners should try to open these too):

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/borderlands/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-51965937&pid=942811

Posted that on the steam page as well.
People can now join my games.

The complete ports to use to be able to play (join) and host (host) a working joinable online content at least are as follows:
TcP: 7777, 28900, 28910, 29901, 29900, 28902, 3783,
UdP: 27900, 6500-6515, 7787, 7777-7783, 13139, 6667

Teknoman

Hey hey:

Issue: PC voice chat does not support volume control
Status: This issue has been resolved and is pending deployment

Hazaro said:
HOW TO BE ABLE TO HOST GAMES (Note joiners should try to open these too):

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/borderlands/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-51965937&pid=942811

Posted that on the steam page as well.
People can now join my games.

So if i've joined a co-op private game twice (sebulon on launch day), but cant join anyone else now...still could be a port issue?

EDIT: I know port forwarding is supposed to be "common knowledge" for PC gamers, but wow this is going to hurt things for the majority of people playing the PC version. I'll give it a shot though.

Pylon_Trooper said:

my copy is unopened at home, but my coworker assured me that he is 4 hours in and has yet to see any screen tearing. that's all i was really concerned about.

only issue he said was some texture pop in when you get to a new area, but c'mon, it's UE3 we're talking here...

I want to make one suggestion to anyone on the second playthrough: do as few of the sidequests as possible until you reach level 50. The game is so much more challenging when everything scales up, and it's fun to do the quests at that level.

Teknoman

Ended up joining a public game somehow...and most of the people there said they didnt have to forward any ports (I havent yet either), so im not sure what was up with that.

Jayge

So I'm going through my Playthrough 1 filling up my giant quest holes and now I'm looking to decimate whatever Crazy Earl thinks he's got left for me.

I've never actually found Crazy Earl myself in my life. Other people always got the quests while I was playing and killing other shit. Where is he, GAF? :lol (I know he never leaves. And he has Tannis' panties :-|)

Jayge said:
So I'm going through my Playthrough 1 filling up my giant quest holes and now I'm looking to decimate whatever Crazy Earl thinks he's got left for me.

I've never actually found Crazy Earl myself in my life. Other people always got the quests while I was playing and killing other shit. Where is he, GAF? :lol (I know he never leaves. And he has Tannis' panties :-|)

It's the first building you see in the scrapyard. Go to the door with the viewing slot and big pad lock.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Just making a new char if anyone wants to join, GameSpy name is Ikuu01 and the game will be called the same.

Sciz

Jamesfrom818 said:
I think I'm going to try leveling Eridian weapon proficiency. Seems like it'll be beastly if you spend the time to level it.
Spending some time leveling it is all but mandatory if you want them to be a viable part of your arsenal. +damage, +accuracy, and most importantly +cooldown speed. Deadly stuff with some unique properties compared to every other gun type in the game (hitscan sniper yaaaaay), but even at a good level of proficiency you'll have to be careful about managing the cooldowns.

Jayge

BobFromPikeCreek said:
No problem. Just for future reference, quest givers show up on the map as a speech bubble icon.
Yeah, I was confused because there didn't seem to be one when I went in. Found him anyway. He's a creepy dude.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just sat in my buddy's Level 32 session for a level up... the lowliest grunts there were like Nine Toes x 10.

Could barely contribute. But now I can use my awesome bloodwing-powering class mod!

Ok so, finally unlocked on Steam, just been playing it for about an hour.

Cant skip the startup movies, pretty much have to navigate the menus with keyboard, had to fuck around for about 20 minutes figuring out why my friend cant join my game and vice versa (ports...... lots of ports, thought this was 2009 ?), get in game finally and the performance feels a bit wobbly (looking out into the open it hovers around 30 FPS, everywhere else 60 FPS), then about 20 minutes after playing my buddy crashes out.

Not sure what to think yet, not happy about the menus and how unclickable things are. Shall crack on more tomorrow. I really do hope they patch up alot of this stuff, the menus are a royal pain. Lack of voice options sucks balls too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bear in mind that port forwarding typically only affects the ability to host games. Joining other games is usually not affected at all, and at the very least you can with 99% certainty still join public games even if you can't join private, without forwarding a single port.

Ogs said:

I see you have Crysis in your avatar, are you able to run Crysis comfortable on your current PC? Its requirements for high settings blow the reqs for Max settings in Borderlands out of the water. I get near constant 60fps on my machine, even in windowed mode (Looting while chatting and solving people's tech problems... mm, Diablo 2 memories).

Just unlocked for me too. It's fun but my two complaints so far are that firstly I seem to automatically equip any weapon I pick up, which is a really dumb thing to include in this sort of game. I don't see how this could ever possibly be useful to anyone, let alone having it as the default. Secondly, how could they not figure out a proper weapon comparison interface? These diablo loot games have had it figured out for 10 years. When I look at a weapon in my inventory it should be compared to what I'm equipped with automatically. I shouldn't have to press a button then scroll through a menu trying to figure out what's what. Just dumb. These two things make me wonder if they've ever played this type of game before. These faults are even more egregious after two days of Torchlight which is obviously made by people who know this genre inside out.

Otherwise it's fun.

Crysis on High runs smooth, not 60 FPS, a very solid 30. Specs -

Q6600, 5770, 4GB DDR2 Memory.

Could just be ATI's drivers for all i know, its not too much of a problem.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
chicken_ramen said:
Jstuff: Otherwise it's fun.

1. Tap E instead of holding it to toss stuff in your backpack. Holding it equips.
2. Before you pick up a gun, when you just look at it on the ground, you see the green/red up/down arrows comparing its stats to the one you currently have equipped (switching weapons will automatically adjust these), letting you see if it's worth switching right then and there. The compare feature in the inventory is to do a detailed comparison with any other gun you own.

EDIT:
tasjyr.png

Digging this, I am.

Drek

Calavera520 said:

About 2/3rds of the way through the PS3 version, entirely split screen, with only one instance of noticeable lag (arena when a bunch of enemies spawned and somehow came running out in a massive horde into the non-combat area.)

Hawkian said:
1. Tap E instead of holding it to toss stuff in your backpack. Holding it equips.
2. Before you pick up a gun, when you just look at it on the ground, you see the green/red up/down arrows comparing its stats to the one you currently have equipped (switching weapons will automatically adjust these), letting you see if it's worth switching right then and there. The compare feature in the inventory is to do a detailed comparison with any other gun you own.

Thanks for the help. I didn't see that you can see that info on the ground, that's cool actually. I also didn't realise that holding e was equipping the stuff, but you need to hold down e to pick up everything right? Which is significantly more convenient, so I would have been doing that all the time. If there's money and ammo about and you don't hold down E you have to pick up everything one at a time, which is annoying. I guess you have to pick up guns and shields and stuff one at a time first then pick up everything else. Just an annoying clunky situation probably only created because this is a console game. I'm sure I'll get over it with time. Or perhaps they could let me turn off the auto weapon switch. :S

Sallokin

Is anyone having trouble getting achievements to pop? I have like 300 shock and 200 blast kills and I haven't gotten either of those achievements. Corrosion and Burning did pop for me though. Also the 12 days on Pandora hasn't popped for me either despite meeting the requirements.

Top Bottom