• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
When you look at money, health, or ammo and hold e, all the other health and money and ammo nearby is collected but not guns. This is not the case when you look at a gun. Looking at a gun and tapping e collects just that gun; holding e equips that gun but does not collect stuff around. I imagine this is so you don't accidentally pick up crappy guns you don't want when collecting other stuff and so that equipping a new gun near piles of ammo, etc doesn't collect that stuff denying it to other players who might need it more.

Haunted

It's pretty amazing that they managed to make a system which can create so many guns, and pretty much none of them feel out of place. With the amount of work that usually goes into fine-tuning a single weapon (animation, feel, look) in an FPS, what they've achieved here is pretty stunning, I think.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hawkian said:
1. Tap E instead of holding it to toss stuff in your backpack. Holding it equips.
2. Before you pick up a gun, when you just look at it on the ground, you see the green/red up/down arrows comparing its stats to the one you currently have equipped (switching weapons will automatically adjust these), letting you see if it's worth switching right then and there. The compare feature in the inventory is to do a detailed comparison with any other gun you own.

EDIT:
tasjyr.png

Digging this, I am.

That's the gun I used for most of my playthrough, until I found a way better version around level 35ish.

Uncle AJ

THE NEW VIDEO CARD IS TOO BIG FOR MY PC'S PC-I SLOTS.

FUCK PC GAMING.

Guess I'm doomed to playing Borderlands in 800x600 for life... :(

Alex

People saying the PS3 version runs fine are incorrect, period. It runs fine if you're not bothered by low FPS, I mean it's not unplayable or anything, but it's constantly running at an obvious sub-20 FPS in fire fights and certain areas and even lower in under certain common conditions. I truly feel for any PS3 Mordecai players (not that sniping is worth a shit, anyway).

But don't get me wrong, the 360 version is hardly butter either, especially when you start hittin' bugs, it's 30 FPS with lots of dips in lots of places, it just doesn't choke up as poorly as the PS3 does during big fights/aiming/certain effects/areas.

And the PC code is HARDLY optimized. Someone told me Gearbox said the PC was the lead on this, and I feel inclined to say that is a lie.

This game is not tech heavy or really that pretty, my rig is not top end, but it's still fairly nice and I run at lower reso due to wanting to play on my HDTV. I don't fall below 30, but as far as I'm concerned, with my settings I shouldn't fall below 60. (fuck the menus too, btw)

It's a good game, but theres pretty obnoxious tech faults on all platforms, normally I dont really care about this stuff, but when you stack em with the bugs and failings in options/interface, it feels worth bringing up.

Hopefully they optimize more for BL2. But more than optimization I'd be interested in:

-Better class balance/diversity
-Better itemization/ilvl budgeting
-Difficulty modes, difficulty modes, difficulty modes This game is so fucking easy.
-More intelligent and thoughtful instancing of zones/dungeons/"overworld". The pacing is kind of a clusterfuck.

vhfive

just hit 50. really likely the second play through so far. finally facing enemies that are actually challenging (old haven says hi) and having a blast sniping dudes heads off (level 30 sniper proficiency). going to finish up the second play through then maybe start a brick.

Sallokin said:
Is anyone having trouble getting achievements to pop? I have like 300 shock and 200 blast kills and I haven't gotten either of those achievements. Corrosion and Burning did pop for me though. Also the 12 days on Pandora hasn't popped for me either despite meeting the requirements.
The only safe way to make sure you get those achievements is to start from scratch with a new character that you only play single player with.

Loudninja

TurtleSnatcher said:
Wow.. Gearbox moved quick. XB360 Patch coming tomorrow

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/104/1040589p1.html

(Im sure this has been posted)

EDIT: Yay fixed Phase Strike and better load times!
PS3 owners get a patch as well :)
* Load times have been improved
* Lilith's Phase Strike ability now works as intended
* The introductory quests with CL4P-TP should now always progress properly
* fixed a bug that caused the digger elevator to be unusable after completing the Find Tannis mission
* Weapon mapping to the D-pad should no longer reverse left and right
* fixed a crash when ejecting the disc during the autosave warning splash screen
* Players in a lobby should no longer experience long loading when starting a game after one player leaves
* A bug which caused players and other things in the world to appear incorrectly on clients in networked games has been fixed
* fixed a bug in which players gibbed in arena combat disappeared
* Changed how space required for saves is calculated
* fixed a bug which caused the dollars counter to spin continuously
* various localization and other text and tooltip corrections

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=81143

Ceebs

Alex said:
And the PC code is HARDLY optimized. Someone told me Gearbox said the PC was the lead on this, and I feel inclined to say that is a lie.

This game is not tech heavy or really that pretty, my rig is not top end, but it's still fairly nice and I run at lower reso due to wanting to play on my HDTV. I don't fall below 30, but as far as I'm concerned, with my settings I shouldn't fall below 60. (fuck the menus too, btw)

This is the truth. There is no reason a 4870 should see the spastic framerate I get with this game. The game is crazy fun, but it's a crappy PC port.

Alex said:
People saying the PS3 version runs fine are incorrect, period. It runs fine if you're not bothered by low FPS, I mean it's not unplayable or anything, but it's constantly running at an obvious sub-20 FPS in fire fights and certain areas and even lower in under certain common conditions. I truly feel for any PS3 Mordecai players (not that sniping is worth a shit, anyway).

But don't get me wrong, the 360 version is hardly butter either, especially when you start hittin' bugs, it's 30 FPS with lots of dips in lots of places, it just doesn't choke up as poorly as the PS3 does during big fights/aiming/certain effects/areas.

It's a good game, but theres pretty obnoxious tech faults on all platforms, normally I dont really care about this stuff, but when you stack em with the bugs and failings in options/interface, it feels worth bringing up.

Hopefully they optimize more for BL2. But more than optimization I'd be interested in:

-Better class balance/diversity
-Better itemization/ilvl budgeting
-Difficulty modes, difficulty modes, difficulty modes This game is so fucking easy.
-More intelligent and thoughtful instancing of zones/dungeons/"overworld". The pacing is kind of a clusterfuck.

On the tech front, playing a good few hours of two-player PS3 co-op was a smooth experience. My co-op comrade is a bit of an FPS vet and doesn't suffer bad tech gladly...and he thought it was fine - even as Mordecai. As stated, I'm not picky, but having a penchant for underdog titles, I've played my fair share of poorly optimised games. Borderlands is not, at least for me, one of them.

MrDaravon

Okay, so either Class Mods can have more than 4 bonuses on them, or they can have "hidden" bonuses or something. I can't find jack on this anywhere except for one other guy on Gamefaqs who's got the exact same mod (except with 40% SMG Damage) having the same thing happen.

In the last level on my 2nd playthrough playing solo with my Siren I found this Mod:

Mercenary Mod
+52% SMG Damage
+3 Quicksilver
+4 High Velocity
+3 Girl Power

Now I am regenerating SMG ammo at a pretty crazy rate. I'm playing Solo so it's not a soldier thing. At first I thought maybe I'd hit some crazy SMG Proficiency level, but no I was in the middle of lvl 39 (and I'm now at 42 and still happening). It also STOPS the ammo regen when I de-equip the mod, and starts up again immediately when I re-equip it, and it is only regenerating ammo for my SMG as well. So unless having a total of +9 in High Velocity (the only one of those skills I have 5 skill points in IIRC) somehow provides regen, Class Mods can either have hidden abilities, or they can have more abilities than you can see. Has this happened to anyone else? I seriously couldn't find jack on it anywhere online, mostly stupid people who are playing as soldiers and taking that skill and then not realizing it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dragnet said:
It's funny, because I'm on PSN playing as the hunter and using a sniper most of time and it's been fine for me . Yeah, there is occasional slowdown but not enough that someone should feel "sorry" for me.

YagizY

This is frustrating, 4 Player co-op is impossible on the PS3. The framerate came to such a grinding halt in one of the small areas where a firefight broke out. Like I am talking about 1 frame a second bad. Ugh, is their any way to fix this in a patch or should be expect it to play like this all the time?

Papercuts said:
That's the gun I used for most of my playthrough, until I found a way better version around level 35ish.
same here I actually got two game one to some kid I hope he is rocking it as hard I hope.

2real4tv

YagizY said:
This is frustrating, 4 Player co-op is impossible on the PS3. The framerate came to such a grinding halt in one of the small areas where a firefight broke out. Like I am talking about 1 frame a second bad. Ugh, is their any way to fix this in a patch or should be expect it to play like this all the time?

Please tell me this isn't true

Prezhulio

2real4tv said:

wish i could. the game is so great, but frantic situations are literally 1-5fps for ps3 (and i'm playing solo, i can't imagine 2-4 players with this stuff happening). endgame scenarios are running like ass, it's not terribly gamebreaking or anything because the penalty for death is so low, but it's quite distracting.

Wag

All I have to say is whoever came up with "teleporting grenades" is a genius.:D

Maybe it's me, but it seems to run fairly well on my GTX 295. I know there's PhysX support in the game, or at least there seems to be the files for them there (even though you can't adjust it), and that might account for it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
2real4tv said:
It's not always bad, there are moments in 4 player games when it gets bad, but most of the time, for me at least, it's been decent. It's unstable but usually not unplayable.

Alex

Dragnet said:

Because 90% of your combat will be too choppy to hit shit through a scope throughout the game. I was fine through the first part on PS3, it still dips, but it doesnt dip bad, I could def have dealt with it if it remained like that

However, it does get really ass later on though, especially once all your guns become lightshows and monsters start getting flashy.

It's lazy coding. But at the same time it's also getting me back into PC gaming, so it's kind of nice. :lol Friend refused to play any further when every time he'd drop his Scorpio as Roland in the part of the Rustlands we were in, it'd drop to a slideshow for him on PS3, so it was either sell it/get it on PC or NO CO-OP FOR YOU.

THat's great that they're fixing the loading though. PS3 loading is usually 20-30 seconds. Which is ridiculous for these small areas, with limited variety between them and on a console with a built in HDD no less.

I about spit out my drink when Skag Gully loaded in 5 seconds on my PC.

In the last level on my 2nd playthrough playing solo with my Siren I found this Mod:

Mercenary Mod
+52% SMG Damage
+3 Quicksilver
+4 High Velocity
+3 Girl Power

I had this Epic quality mod on PS3 that was so amazing. It was like 50% SMG, 3 quicksilver, 3 high velocity, +10% ammo regen. I want it back soooo fucking bad.

But I have a legendary quality repeater atm on the PC that kills anything else I've found, so even if I did have it, sigh. My mod on PC is for +50% ignite damage (irrelevant, since everything dies too fast for the DoT to tick) and +3 spark

Loudninja

YagizY said:

I think it can they said they are looking into the problem.

zedge

YagizY said:

This happened to me once, all other 4 player games have been great. Hopefully they fix it although it doesnt seem to happen often, for me anyway.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I have to take exception to the "PC code is hardly optimized" thing. It is run of the best-running games on my PC; though forcing supersampling AA does put it in the apparent framerate area of the PS3 version. Admittedly I have a pretty new PC, but it runs better than some games that came out long ago. It does seem like it takes to Nvidia cards much more than ATI.

All Gearbox said was that the PC was the development platform for this game, and I have no reason not to believe that. In fact, everything about it to me screams to me that it was coded from the ground up on the PC and then tweak after tweak was made for consoles to the point where it ran pretty well on all three but some silly quirks were reintroduced to the PC version.

The load times alone speak volumes, I think. They are so lightning fast for me I can't imagine the claims of 20+ seconds on the console versions.

Blizzard

Banned
I joined a random public game without really much lag. I just can't use my friends list. Man, I'm almost tempted to play a public game. :X Maybe I should just start a random character and do that, use another one for singleplayer, and another one if I ever get the friends list working.

Put about 2 hours into this last night.

Overall it's really damn good, especially how it gets its claws into you steadily.

PC specific criticisms:

- Indeed as someone else said, this game doesn't seem particularly well optomized for PC being UE3 engine based. For me, I basically had to lock the framerate to 32fps (via command in willowengine.ini, yay UE3 for having this as an option in most games!) as I got immediately tired of going back and forth from 30 to 50 all the time.

For me: Locked 30fps + Vsync >>> 29-50 constantly

- Had to make a fews tweaks to the input commands as well via config.ini. Basically setting toggle to zoom as well as setting Vsync=True and Mousesmoothing=False (this one is very important!). Once I did that, the controls felt fantastic!. Mouse sensitivity is a bit too high indeed though ...feels like it wasn't tuned for PC like say Left 4 Dead or Unreal Tournament 3. Had to turn it all the way down. Also happy I was able to set Mousewheel to sprint! (Left 4 Dead/CoD4 style) You'd be suprised how many titles don't let you remap the fucking Mousewheel ...drives me nuts!

- Loadtimes are zippy!

- Like someone else said, you get used to the PC UI in like 10 minutes. I'm sure it especially helps if you never played the console version. Sure it could be a little better but it's hardly Mass Effect bad.

- As a Dungeon/hack n' slash crawler, i'm pretty confident i'm enjoying this more than Torchlight, so I'm glad I bought this first.

- Gamespy intergration doesn't seem to bad. Haven't play online yet though. Was waiting to finish first batch of quests.

Can't wait to play some more tonight!

Glad to see they're releasing a patch in such a timely fashion. There are still a number of issues, especially on the PS3, that need to be addressed however.

I think I'm going to wait until they release a patch that fixes the skill point bug before I start playing again though.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm playing with random guys in Australia on a public game. There's like a half second of lag, but voicechat is working fine, even, and it's addictive. At least this is better than nothing. :)

Teknoman

AgentOtaku said:
Put about 2 hours into this last night.

Overall it's really damn good, especially how it gets its claws into you steadily.

PC specific criticisms:

- Indeed as someone else said, this game doesn't seem particularly well optomized for PC being UE3 engine based. For me, I basically had to lock the framerate to 32fps (via command in willowengine.ini, yay UE3 for having this as an option in most games!) as I got immediately tired of going back and forth from 30 to 50 all the time.

For me: Locked 30fps + Vsync >>> 29-50 constantly

- Had to make a fews tweaks to the input commands as well via config.ini. Basically setting toggle to zoom as well as setting Vsync=True and Mousesmoothing=False (this one is very important!). Once I did that, the controls felt fantastic!. Mouse sensitivity is a bit too high indeed though ...feels like it wasn't tuned for PC like say Left 4 Dead or Unreal Tournament 3. Had to turn it all the way down. Also happy I was able to set Mousewheel to sprint! (Left 4 Dead/CoD4 style) You'd be suprised how many titles don't let you remap the fucking Mousewheel ...drives me nuts!

- Loadtimes are zippy!

- Like someone else said, you get used to the PC UI in like 10 minutes. I'm sure it especially helps if you never played the console version. Sure it could be a little better but it's hardly Mass Effect bad.

- As a Dungeon/hack n' slash crawler, i'm pretty confident i'm enjoying this more than Torchlight, so I'm glad I bought this first.

- Gamespy intergration doesn't seem to bad. Haven't play online yet though. Was waiting to finish first batch of quests.

Can't wait to play some more tonight!

Its bad in that you have to forward ports just to host a game ; ;

Yeah once you do it, its pretty nice and smooth netcode wise, but its just the fact you had to in the first place :lol

That being said, i'll be hosting games from now on, so feel free to join.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bilzzard.. if you can join public games, you can play with us. Why would you make seperate characters? You know you can use your character in singleplayer or coop and everything will carry over right?

Alex

After tonight, I'm growing a little tired of it, myself. I feel really overgeared and it's made a rather easy game... well...ridiculously easy. The sameish areas are also grating a little bit.

I have different legendaries for both elements I like for my Siren and it's so trivial just to take 3 seconds to blow away even like a badass healthsink type of enemy. I'm only doing 2 player, but my friend has also noted how bland the very, very low difficulty is making the game as of late.

Really would love to see a mod for difficulty or at least selection in BL2.

Alex

Hawkian said:
You're on the second playthrough Alex?

Nah, not yet, I had to restart from PS3 to PC. I'm level 29 at the moment, I think.

if it really ramps up, that is good news. It's a fun game, but loot becomes a little trivial when things die THAT fast.

Doing Elemental focused Lilith have a Legendary quality 4x fire SMG

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
:D

That was rather fun. And L4D2 was a nice change of pace. I can't wait to jump back into BL tomorrow. Pretty screenshot btw, are you using any AA?

EDIT: Alex, I should also ask, are you playing this singleplayer? The game is designed to be accomplishable in singleplayer by grinding... but the real challenge is found in 4-player coop. If you're only playing singleplayer and on playthrough 1 + complaining about difficulty, yous be doinz it wrong.

Blizzard

Banned
Hawkian said:
Bilzzard.. if you can join public games, you can play with us. Why would you make seperate characters? You know you can use your character in singleplayer or coop and everything will carry over right?
Loading is taking a pretty long time, by the way. :p

And I didn't want to have one character trained up through laggy public games, and the same one trained with friends. *shrug* Don't really want to powerlevel either. :)

2real4tv

Prezhulio said:
wish i could. the game is so great, but frantic situations are literally 1-5fps for ps3 (and i'm playing solo, i can't imagine 2-4 players with this stuff happening). endgame scenarios are running like ass, it's not terribly gamebreaking or anything because the penalty for death is so low, but it's quite distracting.

Comparison:
http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=15982

better lighting and effects on 360 but better textures on ps3?

Jonsoncao

Banned
Alex said:
Nah, not yet, I had to restart from PS3 to PC. I'm level 29 at the moment, I think.

if it really ramps up, that is good news. It's a fun game, but loot becomes a little trivial when things die THAT fast.

Doing Elemental focused Lilith have a Legendary quality 4x fire SMG
First playthrough is indeed too easy

try some lv52 badass Lance Engineer or Warden in post playthrough 2 then...

Teknoman

Hawkian said:

That was rather fun. And L4D2 was a nice change of pace. I can't wait to jump back into BL tomorrow. Pretty screenshot btw, are you using any AA?

EDIT: Alex, I should also ask, are you playing this singleplayer? The game is designed to be accomplishable in singleplayer by grinding... but the real challenge is found in 4-player coop. If you're only playing singleplayer and on playthrough 1 + complaining about difficulty, yous be doinz it wrong.

Nope:

1440x900, everything else on high, AF at 2x.

Blizzard said:
Loading is taking a pretty long time, by the way. :p

And I didn't want to have one character trained up through laggy public games, and the same one trained with friends. *shrug* Don't really want to powerlevel either. :)

Yeah I never like power leveling.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wow. It's a pretty game :lol I'll have to use that screenshot size from now on.

Bliiiizzard, if you wanna start a new character at some point, I'll be happy to start my Siren anytime. Public games wouldn't be any laggier than private with the same players, it's all about strength of p2p connection. Basically we'd just have to set up a public game and invite gaffers from there, easy enough.

Alex

Hawkian said:

Two player exclusively.

I don't think I'd enjoy four player co-op in this game, nor do I have enough friends into gaming to attempt it with. :lol

Game still needs difficulty settings like... every other Diablo-like I've ever seen. Silly that there isn't any. NG+ is all well and good, but it never hurts to have difficulty sliders.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It really isn't all that different from Diablo 2. You don't unlock the next difficulty until you beat the game on the first. You can switch between playthrough one and two when making a game in Borderlands like you could pick difficulties before launching a game of D2.

As far as having people to play with, you've seen the GAF steam group/PC list on the coop thread, right? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=17954859#post17954859

If you wouldn't enjoy it, then of course carry on. But the difficulty scales up with each additional player.

Annnd with that. I shall sleep. Can't wait for the weeeeekend

Top Bottom