• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

The problem with the difficulty is that if you do the side missions you get way over leveled. They should have made it so that the experience you get from side missions make the story missions go from impossible to do-able, not make the story missions go from do-able to piss easy.

The game is way fun when you reach level 50 though. Every enemy in the game scales up to levels 49-51, so it's always pretty challenging and fun.

Teknoman

Three more before Zzzz from quick SP checkup:

2lscf1s.png

2qtcvsy.png

2czt5on.png

Found a purple rare mod for 15% extra Team experience among other things. Got pretty lucky on weapon drops too.

legend166

I'm up to level 12, mainly single player.

I hosted a game and had people join, but they pretty much refused to talk, whether voice chat or through text. Seemed a bit dumb.

Swag

legend166 said:

I hosted a game and had people join, but they pretty much refused to talk, whether voice chat or through text. Seemed a bit dumb.

I've noticed this too, but at the same time the matches that I have joined where people talk have quickly devolved into E Peen waving contests of the "Hey my gun does 200 damage a hit and is Epic I'm so cool" sorts.

Zzoram

legend166 said:

You can text chat in Borderlands?

Blizzard

Banned
Hitting t/y does text chat.

Sebulon3k said:
I've noticed this too, but at the same time the matches that I have joined where people talk have quickly devolved into E Peen waving contests of the "Hey my gun does 200 damage a hit and is Epic I'm so cool" sorts.
I must have really got lucky tonight. One of them told me to add them, but I explained that my friends list didn't work. :lol I ended up in a game with three Australian/New Zealand guys, apparently, two of whom were using mics. The sound quality was decent, they mostly just joked around without being jerks, and it was fun times even with like half-second lag (I had to let one of them do vehicle driving). Got Lilith to level 11, and got a few guns, mostly unremarkable. I keep using this one bladed pistol that sets stuff on fire, even though it doesn't do much damage, because I like the fire and the +100% melee damage. I really need more inventory space, though. I run along spamming E, and usually end up having a full inventory right when I might run into something really nice, so someone else gets it.

Three of us were L1 and the last guy was like L10, and by the time we were done we were all L11-13 I think. Seemed to work pretty well.

The map and compass system are actually not too bad, except that I wish it showed vehicle station locations from further away. Just showing them when you're nearby is kind of useless. Showing team/objective/enemy locations with distance-size indicators on the bottom compass is a great idea, however.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hawkian said:
1. Tap E instead of holding it to toss stuff in your backpack. Holding it equips.
2. Before you pick up a gun, when you just look at it on the ground, you see the green/red up/down arrows comparing its stats to the one you currently have equipped (switching weapons will automatically adjust these), letting you see if it's worth switching right then and there. The compare feature in the inventory is to do a detailed comparison with any other gun you own.

EDIT:
tasjyr.png

Digging this, I am.
I though that gun was terrible. In a bad way.

Lord Phol

Alex said:
People saying the PS3 version runs fine are incorrect, period. It runs fine if you're not bothered by low FPS, I mean it's not unplayable or anything, but it's constantly running at an obvious sub-20 FPS in fire fights and certain areas and even lower in under certain common conditions. I truly feel for any PS3 Mordecai players (not that sniping is worth a shit, anyway).

But don't get me wrong, the 360 version is hardly butter either, especially when you start hittin' bugs, it's 30 FPS with lots of dips in lots of places, it just doesn't choke up as poorly as the PS3 does during big fights/aiming/certain effects/areas.

And the PC code is HARDLY optimized. Someone told me Gearbox said the PC was the lead on this, and I feel inclined to say that is a lie.

This game is not tech heavy or really that pretty, my rig is not top end, but it's still fairly nice and I run at lower reso due to wanting to play on my HDTV. I don't fall below 30, but as far as I'm concerned, with my settings I shouldn't fall below 60. (fuck the menus too, btw)

It's a good game, but theres pretty obnoxious tech faults on all platforms, normally I dont really care about this stuff, but when you stack em with the bugs and failings in options/interface, it feels worth bringing up.

This, I usually don't care about this enough to comment on it, but in this game it's pretty bad. Sure some people don't give a shit about it, and some won't even care, but the fact is that it's badly optimized, that's not subjective. I have times when I can't aim properly because the game stutters or lags, and no there's nothing faulty about my console, just look through the official "technical support" forums.

I'm giving Gearbox the benifit of doubt, they aren't all that experienced in the game industry, and borderlands is still a fun game. The gameplay is great, and they are doing what they can to fix bugs post-release.
And with a good base like this to build on, the sequel should be alot better in those departments.

UFRA

Just made it to level 14 today. So far my playthrough has been about 50% solo and 50% with friends. Man can it get tough solo, but I had to keep playing after they had to go so I could catch up to them in levels. :)

Really fun and addicting game, just love it.

Uncle AJ

Most of the guys on my PC friends list aren't playing, and the ones that are aren't hosting joinable games! Come on GAF, don't leave me to search for games with random pubies...

Swag

My ATI 4890 doesn't like this game at all it seems, was having a couple issues with gfx card overheating but that was completely my fault ( Automatic fan control through the Catalyst Control is absolutely FAIL ), fixed that by manually controlling my fan speeds. But now occasionally I'll get driver failures and have my display just crap out on me completely, wtf!

g0atcheese said:
Try +23% on one that I have :lol

I'm level 29 and only played with Gaffers 3 times, need more Gaf fun time :lol

Puck

Banned
Hey guys.

Trying to redownload it.

I am about to get capped on peak.. what is the best way (or maybe the only way) to stop it "updating" and be able to resume updating when I reopen steam?

It seems if I hit "pause updating" and close it, when i reopen, steam starts from scratch which is useless.

I hate to admit that I did something this incredibly stupid but I was at level 20 and turned off my console during a respawn to go deal with a few things. Upon booting up the 360 and trying to load my game I discovered I lost my file. I LOST MY FILE, DAMMIT! I have to start over but don't know that I want to. Hours of gameplay are lost and all I have to show for it are these crappy achievements.

Puck said:
Hey guys.

Trying to redownload it.

I am about to get capped on peak.. what is the best way (or maybe the only way) to stop it "updating" and be able to resume updating when I reopen steam?

It seems if I hit "pause updating" and close it, when i reopen, steam starts from scratch which is useless.
I'm pretty sure that Steam IS resuming your download, but it is showing the percentage downloaded of what you had left to download when you opened Steam. I don't think that it's actually starting from scratch each time you reopen it.

If you downloaded say 2GB out of 4GB and reopened Steam, the percentage would be how much you have downloaded out of the remaining 2GB.

Shoogoo

# Fixed a bug which caused players and other things in the world to appear incorrectly on clients in networked games

# fixed a bug in which players gibbed in arena combat disappeared

# fixed a bug which caused the dollars counter to spin continuously

# fixed a bug that caused the digger elevator to be unusable after completing the Find Tannis mission

# Weapon mapping to the D-pad should no longer reverse left and right

# various localization and other text and tooltip corrections

# The introductory quests with CL4P-TP should now always progress properly all the time

# Lilith's Phase Strike ability now works as intended

# Load times have been improved

Never had any of those bugs, but it's cool for the loadings.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hazaro said:
I though that gun was terrible. In a bad way.

Why? Hits harder than anything else I have that I can equip at my level. Melts faces. High accuracy for a shotgun and silly-high zoom for blasting rapidly rushing bandits.

Finally getting my copy in the next hour or two from Best Buy. I pre-ordered it but only now have they restocked and shipped it to me. I think I'll start my first playthrough with Siren. Can't wait. I have so much work to do so I'm hoping this game doesn't take over my life too badly.

Alex said:
People saying the PS3 version runs fine are incorrect, period. It runs fine if you're not bothered by low FPS, I mean it's not unplayable or anything, but it's constantly running at an obvious sub-20 FPS in fire fights and certain areas and even lower in under certain common conditions. I truly feel for any PS3 Mordecai players (not that sniping is worth a shit, anyway).

Let me start out by saying I am in no way a fan of the ps3. I've never owned one and don't intend on it, but seeing how my 360 is error 74'd my extremely kind friend has let me borrow his ps3 along w/ the game. I'm not a fanboy so I greedily accepted and started out with Mordecai. I've noticed lots of hiccups graphically, but its by no means a game breaker. As for sniping, I've fallen in love with it. Not since CS have I picked off domes with such frequency using quick twitch shooting.

John said:
Turn aim assist off. ;)

That was the first thing I did. Maybe you guys should practice..

John

sw33tclyde said:
Let me start out by saying I am in no way a fan of the ps3. I've never owned one and don't intend on it, but seeing how my 360 is error 74'd my extremely kind friend has let me borrow his ps3 along w/ the game. I'm not a fanboy so I greedily accepted and started out with Mordecai. I've noticed lots of hiccups graphically, but its by no means a game breaker. As for sniping, I've fallen in love with it. Not since CS have I picked off domes with such frequency using quick twitch shooting.
Turn aim assist off. ;)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Penny Arcade said:
I hoped that Borderlands would be satisfy, but I never expected it to grip in the way that it so readily does. It's hard to imagine that Gearbox had something like this knocking around, bubbling beneath their tactical shooters.

I chose the PC version, which I don't regret, because its comparatively stratospheric resomolutions do the game's art an incredible service. I did run aground on some port forwarding at first, which is apparently the cosmic tradeoff. After an hour or so of bullshit, which included a host of router perforations as well sequence of voodoo-like rituals culled from innumerable fora, I was finally able to enter a game with a friend. At this point, I'd played the game so much by myself that it was not a multiplayer game at all, so when he manifested in that inviolate space I almost didn't know how to react. I imagine it was something like the first two humans to ever look upon one another; there was suspicion, fear, and ultimately rage. I had to come to terms with the idea that I was not the only protagonist, which is - and let's be honest - suboptimal.

:lol Oh Tycho.

Would be satisfy ;)

garath

I'll agree with the sentiment that there are some annoying PC quirks - the UI, lack of options in the options menu, having to tweak the ini, gamespy, etc.

But un-optimized? The game ran like butter once I turned on vsync. If they gave me a FOV change, you wouldn't hear a word of complaint about it. I got used to the lack of AA in about 5 minutes and have been enjoying the rock solid FPS and smooth gameplay ever since. And despite being a little sensitive even at the lowest setting (that's what an adjustable DPI mouse is for), the fps controls are tight and responsive.

tldr; Fun gameplay, rock solid framerates and tight controls overshadow all other faults.

Saya

What's up with the day/night cycle in this game? It feels like both are a little bit too short. I think it already gets annoying at times and I'm still only questing at the Fyrestone area. :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
garath, great post, couldn't agree more (though if not for the funky purple borders on 2D items in menus, I would keep AA on as it still runs great up to 16x MSAA for me :( )

The full cycle for day and night is only about 20 minutes. Personally I like being able to see just about every area I visit in both, but I cant understand how that might seem too short.

Shoogoo

Saya said:
What's up with the day/night cycle in this game? It feels like both are a little bit too short. I think it already gets annoying at times and I'm still only questing at the Fyrestone area. :(

How can you be annoyed by something so stupid? It's on another planet you don't know how many suns, what cycle etc the planet has. You really need to cry over something or what?

Goddammit.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Shoogoo said:
# Lilith's Phase Strike ability now works as intended

What's the issue with her Phase Strike? I'm using her now @ lvl 11 and didn't really notice anything.

Teknoman

Hawkian said:
How can you be annoyed by someone being annoyed by something so stupid? :lol

Good point though. Pandora could be in a trinary star system for all we know.

Didnt one of the story voice messages say something about the planet having a short day/night cycle?

Picked up a green Jakobs revolver that deals 802 damage. With one shot against another 50 it took away all of his shields and 2/3 of his health. :lol

I feel like gaffers that I've played with aren't good enough at this game. There's not enough selfish loot rage in them, and it's far too easy for me to take advantage. I've noticed that people tend to abandon a lot of valuable loot if they can't use it, and that kinda pisses me off. I'm like, "holy shit you're just leaving all this 5-10K loot lying around? oh my god"

This is why I always have more money than everyone. This game needs to feel more competitive, like the friends that can help you can also steal everything. If there's one thing I want in Borderlands 2, it's the dropping of shared exp.

God's Beard said:
I feel like gaffers that I've played with aren't good enough at this game. There's not enough selfish loot rage in them, and it's far too easy for me to take advantage. I've noticed that people tend to abandon a lot of valuable loot if they can't use it, and that kinda pisses me off. I'm like, "holy shit you're just leaving all this 5-10K loot lying around? oh my god"

This is why I always have more money than everyone. This game needs to feel more competitive, like the friends that can help you can also steal everything. If there's one thing I want in Borderlands 2, it's the dropping of shared exp.

I think the option of dropping of shared exp is what you mean.

BioNut

Banned
God's Beard said:

Note to self: Never play games with God's Beard.

God's Beard said:

So your experience is that most people are playing it (and enjoying it) different from how you play it and so you want to take that option away from them? Despite admitting that you're in the minority? Hope you'll never design games :-D

K' Dash

God's Beard said:

your kind make me sick.

Top Bottom