• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought a new laptop and the internet browsing is slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodbury

Bought this new HP Laptop as our old one was quite old and couldn't hold a charge anymore and plugged in it wouldn't last either and eventually died.

Wife and I just need one for simple web browsing and she does some photoshop stuff. When I browse GAF it takes like 5-15 seconds for each new page to load. I did a speed test at speedtest.net and I'm getting 30 download speed so that should be plenty fast for loading GAF pages. Had the same speed on the old comp and going from page to page was pretty instant like I'd expect.

Any ideas what could be making web browsing so slow?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
What OS are you using?

Tried different browsers?

explodet

Try surfing sites other than GAF.

Seriously, GAF has been slow for a while, it's not necessarily your laptop's fault.

Moff

GAF has been slow for a few days, sometimes 5-10 seconds for a page like you describe it

I bought a new Acer laptop recently and was experiencing a similar issue until I toyed around with the wireless mode of my network adapter. You using wi-fi, OP?

As other posters mentioned try browsing other websites and see how it performs. GAF has been really slow the past few days for some reason.

DonMigs85

I bought a new Acer laptop recently and was experiencing a similar issue until I toyed around with the wireless mode of my network adapter. You using wi-fi, OP?
Checked his laptop specs and it looks like it's just a Wireless-N card, maybe not even dual band. That could have something to do with it.
I would try a different browser like Chrome or Firefox first, if that doesn't fix it then test an ethernet connection.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
  1. Try Google Chrome
  2. Performance Options: Set to "Adjust for best performance"
    zkmthX2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom