• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Box Office Mid-Year Numbers, traditional blockbusters rule, w/ surprise Gibson film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view=worldwide&yr=2004&p=.htm

World Wide Numbers: in millions

1 The Passion of the Christ NM $608.6
2 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban WB $535.9
3 The Day After Tomorrow Fox $482.5
4 Shrek 2 DW $480.8
5 Troy WB $459.0

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2004&p=.htm

Domestic Numbers

1 Shrek 2 DW $399,753,526
2 The Passion of the Christ NM $370,167,453
3 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban WB $214,672,927
4 The Day After Tomorrow Fox $176,819,208-
5 Troy WB $131,176,026

While I think Spidey 2 will come out on top for the year, I think all these movies have done well, and even though I would have liked Troy to do better here in the US, it was hampered by a R-rating and only launching 5 days before Shrek 2...

I hope The Day After Tomorrow has opened up some eyes and helps Ralph Nader...

I'm very happy about Shrek's 2 success, and I always thought it had a better chance of surpassing The Passion because it could go for the whole summer and because the first one was a definite crowd pleaser, if I could borrow Nintendo's phrase, "for all ages", so it definitely broke the "kiddie" barrier to find a broad audience... DreamWorks is also doing good with The Terminal, which opened kinda small but is having decent legs, and they still have Anchorman (w/ Will Farrel) due next week and Collateral (w/ Tom Cruise in collaboration with Paramount) due in May...

I was surprised by Garfields $60 million, never thought it would do less than Riddick, and Dodgeball ($70 million), has also surprised me with it's staying power... With The Day After Tomorrow and these two having performed well, and I, Robot just around the corner, 20th Century Fox is having a very good summer indeed...

The Prisoner of Azkaban had kinda disappointed here in the US, and now Spidey 2 is going to slaughter it, but hopefully having a long summer instead of long holiday season will help it at least match what the 2nd one did... Warner Bros. still has Catwoman, but I don't expect that to do well at all...

For some reason, I wasn't really surprised at all by the success of Fahernheit 9/11, considering there is extreme Bush-hate going around and I'm sure just like some people wanted to "evangelize" by taking people to go see The Passion, liberals could be doing the same thing with this... Considering John Kerry has already broken the fundraising record for a challenger ($175 million), I think anti-Bush people would be willing to use their money in any way they can to try and hurt his re-election chances... (on a side note, I think this does have the potentional to influence voting, despite what some would have you believe)...

Alcibiades

I LOVED Day After Tomorrow, already seen it twice and want to go again...

Guilty pleasure of seeing Dick Cheney apologize in the film is just classic, and so is the "border" scene which I won't spoil, but since I live on the border as well, it was fun to see that. I also loved the score and I thought the special effects were SUPER-DUPER. I can't wait for the DVD release, I'll be watching this one over and over...

GO NADER!

Blockbusters may have the biggest grosses, but the nets must be fantastic on movies such as 50 First Dates, Along Came Polly, Mean Girls, and Barbershop 2.

Dreamfixx

I don't know shit about shit
Didn't Troy cost $200 million, as well as Spider-man 2? I swear these movies can be made for so much less, so that the 100's of millions that they make can actually seem like a huge success rather than an expectation.

I think it cost around 150 million. What really suprises me is that The Stepford wives cost 90 MILLION to make! WTF? How could that movie cost so much?

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I am thinking that these "costs" are not really costs at all.. I think they pad the costs either to make the movie seem important, OR they pad the cost and put that money in their own pockets just in case the movie FLOPS.. win win... also actors are asking for alot these days too....

XS+

Banned
Wow Shrek is 4th worldwide, riding off of US gross alone. Any other big movies this year that could possibly challenge Shrek/Spidey's crown?

"I was surprised by Garfields $60 million, never thought it would do less than Riddick"

????????????????????????????????

Riddick: Domestic Total as of Jun. 30, 2004: $52,521,495
Garfield: Domestic Total as of Jun. 30, 2004: $59,197,396

MoccaJava

Banned
I'm pretty sure the cost for The Stepford Wives was driven way up by having to reshoot many scenes with Matthew Broderick.

Alcibiades

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
"I was surprised by Garfields $60 million, never thought it would do less than Riddick"

????????????????????????????????

Riddick: Domestic Total as of Jun. 30, 2004: $52,521,495
Garfield: Domestic Total as of Jun. 30, 2004: $59,197,396

woops, I meant never thought Riddick's gross would be less than Garfields, especially considering all the negative hype for Garfield and all the positive hype for Riddick (with the previews and acclaimed/popular videogame and Vin Diesel, etc...)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom