• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BRD/HD-DVD Soap opera update: The Empire (BRD) Strikes Back Tomorrow

jarrod

Banned
Happen to have a list of the companies that have announced tangible consumer support (ie: actual products) for both BRD and HD-DVD so far?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
There are ZERO actual products for HD-DVD....and sofar Toshiba is the only company that has shown a single prototype recorder

BRD, OTOH, has shipped two set-top recorders (one each from Sony and Panasonic) a BRD-RW PC drive from Sony and you can buy blank recordable disks from Sony, Panasonic, Maxell, Fujifilm and TDK right now in Japan....

Moreover, I have seen prototype BRD Recorders from:

JVC
jvc_1087601513.jpg

Zenith
zenith.jpg

Sharp
sharp.jpg

Hitachi
hitatchi.jpg

Pioneer
pioneer.jpg

Philips
philips.jpg

LG Electronics
lg.jpg

And a BRD-ROM player from Sony
sony2_1087601514.jpg

Furthermore, the BRD group has official support from HP and Dell, the worlds 2 largest PC companies....for Blu-ray to have all this support, there has to be a compelling reason.....in fact, I have never seen a format with this much CE industry support in the beginning of its life...

IMO, Blu-ray is going to happen....

AOD needs to ship something first, *then* we can talk about a format war....

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Gattsu25 said:
while i want BRD to come out on top, those players are all ugly as fuck and bigger than my desk :(

Prototype

Midas

It looks like the "Blu-ray Disc Association Information Seminar in the United States" is more about BDA and not the disc but they'll probably talk some. My bet is that the one in Japan on August 3rd will give much more info...

nubbe

Hope they manage to slim the tech... or PS3 will be the largest console yet... thus dooming it in Japan... :p

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Dell Inc.
Hewlett-Packard Company
Hitachi, Ltd.
LG Electronics Inc.
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
Mistubishi Electric Company
Pioneer Electronics Ltd.
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Sharp Corporation
Sony Corporation
TDK Corporation
Thomson Multimedia
Victor Company of Japan (JVC)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Here are a few pix of the Sammy BD-R1000 recorder, due out in November:

cammy_1801_8577470

2040_2_pop.jpg

2040_1_pop.jpg

ces20.jpg

19200412112.jpg

Along with LG's LG-XBG420 200GB HDD Blu-ray Recorder(due here in the US in November), they should be the next BRD products to hit the market :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Panajev2001a said:
Jarrod ? Still there ? ;).

Sorry, had to gloat looking at those neat prototypes :).
Come on, Pana. I think his comments to you in the other thread were fair. Especially when you're quoting $65 Billion worth of R&D so far ;)

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
A Matsushita rep was quoted last year as saying the total investment in Blu-ray was $65B.....

I will try to dig up the quote...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
kaching said:
yen or dollars? That's the question I asked in the other thread

Kaching, I think that if you divide it by all the big name players and you count fabrication plats costs, marketing costs, money hats to content producers and all you can get to that number quite fast.

A fab can cost you, alone, like $2 Billion dollars.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
kaching said:
yen or dollars? That's the question I asked in the other thread

Yen would make MORE sense :)

65,000,000,000.00 JPY = 586,175,253.81 USD

Suikoguy

Panajev2001a said:
Suikoguy, with that money you will not even pay for half a fab, btw.

Well, I guess what would confim that 65b would be dollars :)

But it still seems wayyy too high.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Suikoguy said:
Well, I guess what would confim that 65b would be dollars :)

But it still seems wayyy too high.

One fab, like the latest Toshiba opened with Sony/SCE at Oita, can cost you ~$2 Billion dollars.

In Autumn 2004, Toshiba will start production in an advanced 300mm-wafer clean room at a new fab in its Oita Operations plant in Kyushu. Once in operation, the state-of-the-art facility, constructed through a 200-billion yen investment program, will build up production capacity to reach 12,500 wafers a month. Output will be earmarked to meet increasing demand for system LSI, one of Toshiba's three key semiconductor businesses.

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2004_02/pr0201.htm

jedimike

$65 billion is bullshit... At a thousand dollars per unit, they would have to sell 65 million units to break even. And we all know that they won't be a $1000 and elves don't make them for free.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
jedimike said:
$65 billion is bullshit... At a thousand dollars per unit, they would have to sell 65 million units to break even. And we all know that they won't be a $1000 and elves don't make them for free.

65-100 Million Blu-Ray players ? Hehe, if Sony/SCE does a good job with PlayStation 3 in terms of development, game lineup, marketing, etc... that number might be reached by a single company witha single product in like 5 years.

Also, fabs can be re-used for other applications and thus their cost might be shared in the future.

You also have to count the reproduction hardware for Blu-Ray: the volumes on which you would have to divide the costs by would be quite high as you can divide the costs over a lot of discs.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Pana, stop trying to justify the number and instead try to confirm it, or wait for Klee to confirm it.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
I did a search for the interview and came up short...

The problem is, it was from widescreenreview.com and I am no longer a subscriber to the magazine and I can't access back issues online any more :(

I posted the interview on the old forum....it was an interview with a BRD rep from Matsushita and the figure was 65b IIRC

jarrod

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
Jarrod ? Still there ? ;).

Sorry, had to gloat looking at those neat prototypes :).
Still here, nice to see a bit of support on the BRD side. Though I thought NEC had a protoype PC HD-DVD drive at the recent showing (that they were going to release in 2005)... is Toshiba really the only hardware manufacturer who's shown a prototype yet?

edit-Found it!

urltrurl

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
those prototypes look like bad 80s design. AND THEY ARE TOO BIG FOR TEH TINY JAPANESE!!!

"65-100 Million Blu-Ray players ? Hehe, if Sony/SCE does a good job with PlayStation 3 in terms of development, game lineup, marketing, etc... that number might be reached by a single company witha single product in like 5 years."

Will sony make their investment back and break even though on all these investments, if you add up Cell R&D, Fab costs, Advertising etc etc?

What portion of 65 Billion was put in by sony?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
What portion of 65 Billion was put in by sony

I don't know if we will ever know how much investment each BRD member contributed but along with Sony and can guarentee you Matsushita is also a HUGE (though less vocal) BRD mover/shaker.....the Blue Laser used in BRD is of MEI's own design, AFAIK.....

Top Bottom