• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Russian plane crashes; another missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
According to MSNBC, these events occurred almost simultaneously: One Russian passenger plane (reportedly carrying from 35-80 people) has crashed in Russia. And another passenger plane, which took off from the same airport, within minutes of the other plane's demise, has gone missing.

Cloudy

Banned
Ugh, hopefully this is an accident and not terrorism. Not that that is much better of an outcome for all involved :(

MIMIC

Banned
MSNBC says that there are reports that the plane has crashed, and other reports that the plane is still missing.

EDIT: Ok, I guess the CNN story is more recent.

MIMIC

Banned
From the CNN website:

A ministry spokeswoman said she could confirm only that the second plane had been lost to radar.

EDIT: MSNBC (live, on-air) is still saying that there is no confirmation that the second plane has crashed.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Dont think Georgia wants to pick a fight with Russia over South Ossetia, what they want is to make it so they can go in there and kick ass without russia getting involved.

Unfortunately russia has a lot of enemies in its former states so i wouldnt be supprised if this was an act of terrorism.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
The second plane crashing is incorrect. One of the wires said it and then the news agencies picked it up but a spokesperson from the "Emergency something or other" from Russia corrected the story and stated that it is still missing.

calder

I saw an aviation doc last year about flying in Russia's hinterlands, and they have *lots* of crashes, and some of the stories of western guys who fly in and out of Siberia are hilarious in a 'thank god I don't work there' way. Let's hope this is a sad coincidence.

Malakhov

Banned
Hopefully it's a coincidence and nothing to do with al qaeda, they'd be dumbasses to mess with the mother country.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Malakhov said:
Hopefully it's a coincidence and nothing to do with al qaeda, they'd be dumbasses to mess with the mother country.

It's probably not Al Queda, but rather the muslim extremists that Russia has been fighting in Chechnya.

AssMan

Banned
Even if by chance the second plane "tries" and reaches U.S. shores we'll just blow the plane out of the freakin sky.

MIMIC

Banned
I'm enthralled by dated incidents:

9/11 terrorist attacks: Tuesday, September 11th, 2001--third week in September on a calendar

Bali Bombings: (Saturday, October 12th, 2002--exactly one year, one month, and one day after the 9/11 attacks)

Today: Tuesday, August 24th, 2004--fourth week in August on a calendar. In relation to Sept. 11th, today is exactly one month BEHIND and one week UP from the 2001 incident...on the same day: Tuesday.

(I'm just thinking outloud, so don't take what I said about today for truth)

effzee

umm ive been in houston this whole past week and havent watched any news...just got back...so whats the update?

cnn.com now says that one of the planes sent a "hijack" alert before crashing. And they are still saying both planes have crashed incase anyone is wondering.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
calder said:
I saw an aviation doc last year about flying in Russia's hinterlands, and they have *lots* of crashes, and some of the stories of western guys who fly in and out of Siberia are hilarious in a 'thank god I don't work there' way. Let's hope this is a sad coincidence.
These flights are nowhere near Siberia. They left Moscow and were heading south towards the Black Sea.

I suspect Chechen involvement. When it comes to Russia, the Chechens seem to almost always be involved.

ManaByte

Gold Member
vert.putin.afp.jpg

"Oh fuck"

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
damn......... those rebels are some slick asses... this all with the RNC coming to NYC next week.... I hope the presidential election doesnt go crazy in Russia after this, because with what happened in spain, terrorist will think that they can shift politics with carnage

HAOHMARU

I wonder if the US will back a Russian global war on terrorism. Watch the Russians go wage war with some country and have the US condemn them to hell... :rolleyes

HAOHMARU said:
I wonder if the US will back a Russian global war on terrorism. Watch the Russians go wage war with some country and have the US condemn them to hell... :rolleyes

check post down there. From what I can gather, it seems like the US government did not criticize Russia enough for the alleged atrocities going on. Post 9/11, the US seemed to just shut up any criticism of the wrongdoings in Chechnya.

Socreges

Banned
eggplant said:
It's been a long time, but IIRC the US was critical of the Russian invasion of Chechnya (a de facto country at that time, IIRC) and the human rights violations/draconian measures that occured there.
In regards to Russia voting for the war in Iraq:

"Russian president Vladimir Putin, whose relations with Bush are reported to be particularly soulful, was awarded 'a diplomatic nod for Russia's crackdown on Chechen separatists - a move that some analysts here and in the Middle East contend could damage long-term US interests'."

Socreges said:
In regards to Russia voting for the war in Iraq:

"Russian president Vladimir Putin, whose relations with Bush are reported to be particularly soulful, was awarded 'a diplomatic nod for Russia's crackdown on Chechen separatists - a move that some analysts here and in the Middle East contend could damage long-term US interests'."

Eh I was referring back in 1999 when they invaded Chechnya for a second time. Sorry, but it's a long time since I've seen news on Chechnya.

"Tony Blair maintains that intervention in one place where people are tortured and oppressed doesn't mean we can or should intervene everywhere. But Chechnya is a shameful example of western leaders refusing to confront another government on human rights abuses and war crimes because, in the end, strategic and political issues matter more. Chechnya is complex and dangerous and miserable, and we just don't care enough to try to make a difference."

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach.../Chechnya.asp+chechnya+1999+us+response&hl=en

"Equally worrying is the lack of a strong Western response to the abuses in Chechnya. Instead of using its relationship with Russia to bring an end to the abuses in Chechnya, the Clinton administration has focused on cementing its relationship with Acting President Putin, the prime architect of the abusive campaign in Chechnya. Secretary of State Madeline Albright traveled to Moscow while bombs were raining down on Grozny, and chose to focus her remarks on Acting President Putin's qualities as the new leader of Russia, rather than on the brutal war in Chechnya. U.S. officials continue to understate the level of atrocities in Chechnya, talking about "abuses" in the war rather than calling those abuses by their proper name, war crimes. The administration is understating the amount of influence and power it has over Moscow, because the administration wants to continue with business as usual, and mend its ties with Moscow in the wake of the NATO bombing campaign in the former Yugoslavia. To date, the international community has given the Russian government no reason to fear any repercussions for its actions in Chechnya.

The United States and its Western allies could be doing a lot more to stop the brutal abuses in Chechnya. Starting tomorrow at the trilateral EU-US-Russia meeting in Lisbon, they must call the abuses in Chechnya by their proper name, war crimes, and must insist that there will be no "business as usual" with Russia while these violations continue. The West must insist on accountability for the crimes committed in Chechnya, and an end to the rapidly growing climate of impunity rapidly developing in Chechnya. An immediate international monitoring presence should be established to document war crimes and other abuses in Chechnya, and to provide the international community with accurate and reliable information about abuses in the Chechen conflict. "

Unfortunately, it seems like they didn't make enough noise over what happened in Chechnya.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...2.htm+chechnya+1999+"american+response"&hl=en

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
MIMIC said:

9/11 terrorist attacks: Tuesday, September 11th, 2001--third week in September on a calendar

Bali Bombings: (Saturday, October 12th, 2002--exactly one year, one month, and one day after the 9/11 attacks)

Today: Tuesday, August 24th, 2004--fourth week in August on a calendar. In relation to Sept. 11th, today is exactly one month BEHIND and one week UP from the 2001 incident...on the same day: Tuesday.

Quite a dumb read.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AssMan said:
Even if by chance the second plane "tries" and reaches U.S. shores we'll just blow the plane out of the freakin sky.

I really don't think anyone was suggesting that either plane was going to be aimed at America. Any plane hijacked in Russia or Europe, flying within Russia/Europe isn't likely to be used against America. Far more likely they'd target a European city or Moscow.

Now, if it was a transatlantic flight, that's a different story. But I don't think this one was..?

Shinobi

Tenguman said:
damn the world media in the US blows. barely a blurp on any of the cable news networks.

Of course...only way it'd get coverage is if one of the planes had been dropped onto the Kremlin.

Leon

MIMIC said:

The fact that I still didn't get this after reading it three times probably means that it's nothing to be excited about at all. And no, it doesn't mean I'm a dumbass :p

Phoenix

gofreak said:
I really don't think anyone was suggesting that either plane was going to be aimed at America. Any plane hijacked in Russia or Europe, flying within Russia/Europe isn't likely to be used against America. Far more likely they'd target a European city or Moscow.

Now, if it was a transatlantic flight, that's a different story. But I don't think this one was..?

No one would be stupid to try and hijack a transatlantic flight several minutes after take off - then have the world alerted to the fact that a hijacked airliner is several hours away from a possible US target.

Boogie

MIMIC said:

What the hell, MIMIC? Put down the crackpipe, man.

LakeEarth

MIMIC said:

I love bolding random words to make my sentence seem more important, sorta.

xsarien

daedsiluap
MIMIC said:

I also hear that Kennedy's secretary's name was Lincoln, and that Lincoln's secretary's name was Kennedy!

Socreges

Banned
MIMIC said:

It just seemed like the right thing to do.

MIMIC

Banned
Hitman said:
Quite a dumb read.

Typical comment for something that flies over somebody's head.

Had you elaborated, you wouldn't have come off as so simple-minded.

Leon said:
The fact that I still didn't get this after reading it three times probably means that it's nothing to be excited about at all. And no, it doesn't mean I'm a dumbass :p

I'm saying that the date of 8/24/2004 is in the fourth week of August (on a calendar) 9/11/2001 is in the third week of September (on a calendar). Both dates also fall on a Tuesday.

I'm saying that a) August is the month BEFORE September...so, it's simply one month BEHIND [September]; and b) that 8/24/2004 falls within the fourth week of the month, and that 9/11/2001 falls withn the third week of the month...so, it's simply one week UP, or ahead of [September 11th, 2001]: The fourth week of August 2004 (the 24th) is one week UP from the third week of September 2001 (the 11th). Week #4 is one week from week #3.

So, like I said, "In relation to Sept. 11th, today is exactly one month BEHIND and one week UP from the 2001 incident...on the same day: Tuesday."

LakeEarth said:
I love bolding random words to make my sentence seem more important, sorta.

9/11/2001 occurred exactly 912 days before the 6/11 Madrid train bombings, which means that there were exactly 911 days between the two incidents, both perpetrated by al-Qaeda.

Oh yeah..."Bali Bombings: (Saturday, October 12th, 2002--exactly one year, one month, and one day after the 9/11 attacks).

Guess who did it?

Phoenix

And the planes only stayed in the air for 911 seconds - oh no :)

If it was Al Qaeda or Chechen rebels we'll find out soon enough, however it is dangerous to jump to that conclusion by default and that's something that we're doing all too often. Gas prices going down - pipeline explosion ... must be those Terrorists! While of course they are likely to score some hits, we musn't let terrorism be the primary response to every event in the world because that drives us to make the evidence we have fit the conclusion we've already come to... and that's dangerous and could lead to things like the Iraq invasion.

The evidence will sort it out... we just have to wait and see where it leads us and not lead it where we think it should go.

Pimpwerx

No updates on this yet? Two planes crash on the same day, one sending a hijack signal, and no news? Hmm, that sucks. We knew what was up with 9/11 within hours. PEACE.

Deg

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
No updates on this yet? Two planes crash on the same day, one sending a hijack signal, and no news? Hmm, that sucks. We knew what was up with 9/11 within hours. PEACE.

This is Russia not USA.

Phoenix

Pimpwerx said:

Two reasons for that...

1) those planes crashed in relatively remote locales

russia.plane.crashes.map.gif

2) the information bureau (kinda like the former kgb) is controlling the information flow so not much informtation is getting out of the country - much of the reported information is coming from anonymous sources and that information is 'suspect' in news sources that try to validate what they're hearing. We aren't likely to hear too much until the Russian government decided to make a statement.

Just the way things work in that part of the world...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom