• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brief history + possibility of Harry Potter and James Bond licenced game re-releases?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
250px-Harry_Potter_and_the_Chamber_of_Secrets_Coverart.png

Goldeneye_US_ESRB_WII.jpg

Everything_or_Nothing.jpg

Logistically the Electronic Arts and Activision re-releases seem unlikely as they both came into existence via now expired licences, and both companies moved away from licensed properties, now more the domain of Warner Bros. and Telltale Games.

Speaking of Warner Bros., they were of course involved in licencing Harry Potter (which in turn is owned by J.K. Rowling).

https://www.warnerbros.com/studio/news/ea-awarded-worldwide-interactive-rights-harry-potter-books-and-films-agreement-warner

This arrangement in some manner lasted the entire span of the film series...though by the time of weird Deathly Hallows third-person shooters, the good initial Harry Potter games (like HP1 on PC and HP2 on GC/PS2/Xbox in particular, which even included stellar scores by Jeremy Soule of Morrowind fame) were a distant memory.

And WB were releasing their own Harry Potter games by this point:

The James Bond licence never stuck to EA like Harry Potter did. Various companies had one initially, but Nintendo of all companies purchased it sometime in the mid-1990's for what became a cancelled Virtual Boy GoldenEye racing game, a GoldenEye game on the Nintendo 64 that sold over 8 million copies, and a non-movie related Game Boy game.

EA then acquired the licence and released a mixed bag of games from between 1999 and 2005, though it included a classic in Everything or Nothing, which featured voice acting and motion capture of Dafoe, Brosnan, Dench, and others. It was an incredibly ambitious project and a better Syphon Filter than Syphon Filter in my view. A similar From Russia With Love game also went for Syphon Filter-esque gameplay, but EA's other games all tried to chase the success of Goldeneye, to varying degrees of success. Nightfire is generally considered pretty good, while the questionably named GoldenEye: Rogue Agent (which had almost nothing to do with the movie besides a multiplayer map and Xenia Onatopp) and Agent Under Fire were less so.

Activision's James Bond games can pretty much be summed up as mediocre across the board except for Goldeneye Wii, a great COD clone with some 007 elements and helped by wiimote controls, and its PS3 and Xbox 360 HD port a year later, GoldenEye: Reloaded.

By the way, a shoutout to the now defunct Eurocom for being behind some pretty solid licensed games (Nightfire, GoldenEye Wii/Reloaded, and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets GC/PS2/Xbox). They actually tried which is pretty amazing as licensed games go.Unfortunate that their last game was 007 Legends which clearly wasn't given enough time in the oven.

I'd love to have the PS2 versions (despite being the weakest) of Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets and 007: Everything or Nothing as PS2 on PS4 titles, but it seems impossible.

Isn't even Xbox One backwards compatibility out of the question as rights holders need to sign off/release the game digitally?

addik

I remembered playing the HP1 game on the PS1. It plays pretty straight-forward, but then halfway through I realized that the game has so many goddamn secrets, and you can revisit places in later levels to get to some of these secrets.

It was awesome, honestly. It really incentivized exploring Hogwarts.

Tenki

I want the first Harry Potter game for Game Boy Color, the one which was a RPG and you had to go to classes. It was the best.

I love seeing Chamber of Secrets as a kid but I revisited it recently and it actually blows. It's also like pretty frustrating, idk how I had the patience to beat it as a child.

bigkrev

I want to play Nightfire again because I hate my childhood memories and want them destroyed

Just fricking get Atlas to make me a Harry Potter game. I want Persona 5 but set at Hogwarts.

I know, right? It's literally the best idea ever

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
With Mordor and Arkham on WB's belt. I'm kinda shocked we haven't gotten a game set in the Wizarding World.

I think an open-world Harry Potter ARPG will happen eventually. I'd love for it to be single-player, but an MMO is exponentially more likely.

Dy_Cy

Just fricking get Atlas to make me a Harry Potter game. I want Persona 5 but set at Hogwarts.

This.
What I always loved about the books is the mix of the mundane scenes where the characters go to class with the strange and epic moments. The persona structure is perfect for Harry Potter.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I remembered playing the HP1 game on the PS1. It plays pretty straight-forward, but then halfway through I realized that the game has so many goddamn secrets, and you can revisit places in later levels to get to some of these secrets.

It was awesome, honestly. It really incentivized exploring Hogwarts.

Yeah, one of Argonaut Games' (Star Fox, Croc) last titles. Very ambitious as always.

The GBC HP games are the best. I know we have someone here who worked on them (I want to say he did sound design for them?) and I just need to give them a shoutout every time they're brought up. Excellent games which follow the books more closely than any other adaptation. The GBA already being out by the time those games came out (with its own versions of Harry Potter that were vastly inferior) didn't help them from slipping through the cracks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The GBC HP games are the best. I know we have someone here who worked on them (I want to say he did sound design for them?) and I just need to give them a shoutout every time they're brought up. Excellent games which follow the books more closely than any other adaptation. The GBA already being out by the time those games came out (with its own versions of Harry Potter that were vastly inferior) didn't help them from slipping through the cracks.

That would be Dreamwriter.

I'd pay a small fortune for a port of Goldeneye Wii/360 on Switch. Even without pointer controls I loved the Mp so much.

If they could support Gyro aiming I'd be in heaven. Still passed that Eurocom went under.

Javier23

Banned
I never played Goldeneye because I had a PSX that gen, and I was a kid when Everything or Nothing came out, but I remember it as the best 007 game I've played and one of the action games I've had the most fun with ever. Insane production values too as far as I remember. I replayed the bike chase on the bridge mission like a million times.

Falchion

I love seeing Chamber of Secrets as a kid but I revisited it recently and it actually blows. It's also like pretty frustrating, idk how I had the patience to beat it as a child.

I never did. I had it on PC and never made it very far before I lost interest and went back to something on my N64 probably.

Top Bottom