• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Budget Game Publishers

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
What publishers are primarily in the budget gaming scene, or have a budget gaming division? I can think of Crave, XS Games, and Activision Family PC. Is Global Star a budget publisher?

jarrod

Banned
GDJustin said:
What publishers are primarily in the budget gaming scene, or have a budget gaming division? I can think of Crave, XS Games, and Activision Family PC. Is Global Star a budget publisher?
Yep, Global Star is Take2's budget label. I'm not entirely sure, but I think DSI Games and AIA might be budget stuff only as well.

GDJustin

Global Star is Take Two? XS games is part of the Take Two family as well. Weird.

jarrod

Banned
Soul4ger said:
Yeah, Mastiff isn't budget (see La Pucelle for $49.99). They're just not stupid.
Yeah, they're like Natsume, Atlus and Agetec (none being budget labels but all releasing budget stuff regularly).

WarPig

Agetec had its A1 Games budget imprint for a while, but that died eventually with the original PlayStation, I think.

Dave Z and I once talked about starting our own company to do a cheap localization of Policenauts and sell it for 20 bucks, but somehow it didn't last long. Sigh.

DFS.

GDJustin

Yeah I'm not looking for budget-only publishers. Publishers that regularly publish budget titles as part of their standard business model are good as well. Mastiff is a good example.

jarrod

Banned
GDJustin said:
Yeah I'm not looking for budget-only publishers. Publishers that regularly publish budget titles as part of their standard business model are good as well. Mastiff is a good example.
Well, lots of publishers push out a budget game here or there... even big guys like Nintendo, Konami, Namco, Capcom, etc...

GDJustin

Right. Mastiff has been all budget besides one title, though. So that's why I felt like they qualified.

mosaic

go eat paint
Woohoo! Gamespot is reporting that D3 Publisher is opening a US Branch.

Yay!

I hope this means that The Women's Swim Meet will make it here. Very curious to play a game with events like butt bashing and erotic pole masturbation.

Matlock

Banned
BuddyChrist83 said:
Is the Fresh Games imprint still around, or did Eidos shut that down?

playfresh.com is still up, but the forums are down...and R-Type Final is the last thing they list. :p

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
BuddyChrist83 said:
Is the Fresh Games imprint still around, or did Eidos shut that down?

Yeah, the last game they released was R-Type Final. So I assume they would still be around. I was thinking the same thing because Mad Maestro and Mr. Mosquito were the only releases I could remember, and those were quite awhile back. But R-Type Final was only in February, right?

I believe Jack of All Games deals in budget releases. Didn't they release Malice? And they have these really weird double packs planned...

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=281174
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=281175

Grizzlyjin said:
Yeah, the last game they released was R-Type Final. So I assume they would still be around. I was thinking the same thing because Mad Maestro and Mr. Mosquito were the only releases I could remember, and those were quite awhile back. But R-Type Final was only in February, right?

I believe Jack of All Games deals in budget releases. Didn't they release Malice? And they have these really weird double packs planned...

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=281174
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=281175

How are they even releasing those games? They're all from different develoipers/publishers.

WarPig

SolidSnakex said:
How are they even releasing those games? They're all from different develoipers/publishers.

Jack of All Games isn't a publisher, exactly. It's Take-Two's distribution outfit. They buy old overstock at a discount from other publishers, stuff that's not moving at specialty retail anymore, and sell it to mainstream retailers in turn.

DFS.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
WarPig said:
Jack of All Games isn't a publisher, exactly. It's Take-Two's distribution outfit. They buy old overstock at a discount from other publishers, stuff that's not moving at specialty retail anymore, and sell it to mainstream retailers in turn.

DFS.

Interesting, I've seen that listing for the past week and was wondering how exactly it worked. I've never heard of anything like this before, hmm. I just might pick up that Tony Hawk 4/ Crazy Taxi 2 pack now. Thanks for clearing that up.

Top Bottom