• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bush opposes 'legacy' college admissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush said Friday he opposes the use of a family history at colleges or universities as a factor in determining admission.

Bush stated his position to what's known as "legacy" in response to a question during a Washington forum for minority journalists called Unity 2004.

He was asked, "Colleges should get rid of legacy?"

Bush responded, "Well I think so, yes. I think it ought to be based upon merit."

Under legacy programs, applicants are given an advantage if their parents or grandparents attended the school. Bush, a third-generation graduate of Yale University, joked about his own legacy.

"Well, in my case, I had to knock on a lot of doors to follow the old man's footsteps," he said to laughter.

Bush's remark came as he was being grilled about his opposition to affirmative action programs that consider race as a factor for admission, particularly through quota systems.

Bush said admission should be based "on merit."

Bush has not previously expressed opposition to the use of family lineage at a university to help admission.

In a lengthy exchange with the journalist, Bush said there should be no "special exception for certain people."

He expressed his support for diversity.
Affirmative action

While Bush clearly stated his opposition to quotas, he also suggested that he was not opposed to affirmative action.

But he didn't explain what the distinction was.

"I support college affirmatively taking action to get more minorities in their school," Bush said as the audience laughed.

Prominent civil rights leaders have also called for an end to the legacy practice, as have some Democrats -- including vice presidential candidate Sen. John Edwards.

In a 2002 speech on education, Edwards called it "a birthright out of 18th-century British aristocracy, not 21st-century American democracy."

Following Bush's remark on Friday, the Rev. Jesse Jackson told CNN it's a positive step "if it's a policy, not just a speech."

"'Legacy points' are very widespread for children of wealth," he said, arguing that underprivileged children have their opportunities limited by a legacy system.

Interesting. And no I don't find it hypocritcal that he benifited from it and is against it. You can be against policies that you benifited from in the past. With that said I still think it's a hogwash statement.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Is Bush against getting funding for company's, crashing and burning those company's, and then getting more funding for different company's and then getting board of director positions based on legacy as well?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I agree. Fuck legacy. Fuck race. It should be based solely on merit alone.

3rdman

Jackson Thoreau: 'Who is the best flip-flopper? It's not Kerry, it's Bush'
Posted on Thursday, August 05 @ 10:03:13 EDT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Jackson Thoreau

The next time someone criticizes John Kerry for being a flip-flopper remind them:

Bush was against campaign finance reform; now he's for it.

Bush was against a Homeland Security Department; now he's for it.

Bush was against a 9/11 commission; now he's for it.

Bush was against an Iraq WMD investigation; now he's for it.

Bush was against nation building; now he's for it.

Bush was against deficits; now he's for them.

Bush was for free trade; then he was for tariffs on steel, and now he's against them again.

Bush was against the U.S. taking a role in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict; now he pushes for a "road map" and a Palestinian State.

Bush was for states' rights to decide on gay marriage; now he is for changing the Constitution to outlaw gay marriage.

Bush said he would provide money for first responders (fire, police, emergency); then he doesn't.

Bush said that "help is on the way" to the military; then he cuts their benefits and health care.

Bush claimed to be in favor of environmental protection; then he secretly approved oil drilling on Padre Island in Texas and other places and took many more anti-environmental actions.

Bush said he is the "education president;" then he refused to fully fund key education programs and rarely does his homework, such as read position papers so he will be more knowledgeable on issues.

Bush said that him being governor of Texas for six years was enough political experience to be president of the U.S.; then he criticized Sen. John Edwards for not having enough experience after Edwards had served six years in the U.S. Senate.

During the 2000 campaign, Bush said there were too many lawsuits being filed; then during the Florida recount, he was the first to file a lawsuit to stop the legal counting of votes after Gore took advantage of Florida law to ask for a recount.

On Nov. 7, 2000, the Bush campaign supported Florida county officials drawing up new copies of some 10,000 spoiled absentee votes in 26 Republican-leaning counties that the machines did not read and marking them for the candidates when they showed "clear intent;" they opposed doing the same thing after Nov. 7 when Gore asked for such recounts. Bush dominated absentee balloting in Florida by a two-to-one margin.

Bush said during the 2000 campaign that he did not have a "litmus test" for judges he appointed to be against abortion; then he mostly appointed judges who were against abortion.

In the early 1990s, Bush led a campaign to raise taxes in Arlington, Texas, to build a new baseball stadium for the team he partly owned; he later criticized politicians for supporting tax increases ñ after he got rich by selling the team with the new stadium to a wealthy campaign contributor.

Bush opposed the U.S. negotiating with North Korea; now he supports it.

Bush went to the racist and segregationist Bob Jones University in South Carolina; then he said he shouldn't have.

Bush said he would demand a U.N. Security Council vote on whether to sanction military action against Iraq; later Bush announced he would not call for a vote.

Bush first said the "mission accomplished" Iraqi banner was put up by the sailors; he later admitted it was done by his advance team.

Bush was for fingerprinting and photographing Mexicans who enter the U.S.; after meeting with Mexican President Fox, he decided against it.

Bush was opposed to Rice testifying in front of the 9/11 commission citing "separation of powers;" then he was for it.

Bush was against Ba'ath party members holding office or government jobs in Iraq; now he's for it.

Bush said we must not appease terrorists; then he lifted trade sanctions on admitted terrorist Mohammar Quaddafi and Pakistan, which pardoned its official who sold nuclear secrets to Iran, Libya, and North Korea.

Bush said he would wait until after the Nov. election to ask for more money for the war effort; then he decided he needed it before the election, after all.

Bush said, "Leaving Iraq prematurely would only embolden the terrorists and increase the danger to America." His administration now says that U.S. troops will pull out of Iraq when the new provisional authority asks. Then he said they'll stay "as long as needed" again. Now he's
saying that the Iraqis can ask the troops to leave, and they will. Or is he?

The Bush administration officials said that the Geneva Conventions don't apply to "enemy combatants." Now they claims they do.

Bush officials said before the Iraq invasion that Iraq posed an "imminent threat" to U.S. security and that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction and even nuclear weapons; after the invasion, they denied saying the word "imminent" and saying that Iraq had WMDs and nuclear weapons, even though they were caught on tape making such statements.

"The most important thing is for us to find Osama Bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him." - George W. Bush, Sept. 13, 2001

"I don't know where he is. I have no idea, and I really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - George W. Bush, March 13, 2002

Are you getting tired of this? Well, some in the American military are getting tired of this, too: "The (Bush) administration has an overly simplistic view of how and when to use our military. By not bringing in our friends and allies, they have created a mess in Iraq and are crippling our forces around the world." -Retired Admiral William Crowe, former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs under Ronald Reagan

retardboy

He's right though. You might think it's bs comming from him, but that's how it needs to be. I freaken glad he opposes affirmative action. I think everyone should.

DarienA

retardboy said:
He's right though. You might think it's bs comming from him, but that's how it needs to be. I freaken glad he opposes affirmative action. I think everyone should.

In an ideal world without prejudice and bias I'd be with your for supporting affirmative action in any form... unfortunately we don't live in that world so I tend to believe that in some form unfortunately there still needs to exist some affirmative action.

DarienA said:
In an ideal world without prejudice and bias I'd be with your for supporting affirmative action in any form... unfortunately we don't live in that world so I tend to believe that in some form unfortunately there still needs to exist some affirmative action.

But then that raises the question: How can society, as a whole, move forward to eradicate racism and race favoritism when these very practices are alive and well in institutions that promote and execute the ideas and policies of Affirmative Action?

IJoel

DarienA said:

IAWTP

Another thing is that generally (and possibly arguably i guess), it's quite easy for a non-minority to make it to college while it's the opposite for minorities.

But then that raises the question: How can society, as a whole, move forward to eradicate racism and race favoritism when these very practices are alive and well in institutions that promote and execute the ideas and policies of Affirmative Action?

Because society never started from a clean slate. The world is not free of racism and if there's not at least a little bit of control, the right people won't be at the right places to make it happen.

DarienA

Error Macro said:

Well I'll give you one easy example... education. Is (generally speaking) the education that the average inner city youth receives as good as that of a suburban school education? No.

How can you expect students in cities with poor school systems to score just as well on SAT's and the like?

What is required to better educate inner city students? Better supplies, better schools, better equipment, safer more secure environments which all in turn will hopefully attract more strong teachers.

What would do all that? More dollars applied to education in the inner cities.

That's a simplified look at the beginnings of a piece of the solution.

The day...

...that a black women and a white man can date without being awkwardly stared at on the streets...

...that a black kid isn't called white becuase he's reading a book...

...that there is no 30% wage gap between a black male and a white male from similar cohorts...

...that the hundreds of years of direct and indirect racism that has racialized the provision of housing, education and economic oppurtunity has evaporated...

will be the day people can stop worrying about race. Until then the question needs to be addressed and any compassionate individual will err on the side of providing benefits to those whose grandparents were lynched in Kentucky, homes were built on the wrong side of the tracks and labeled Uncle Toms for trying to raise up their community.

retardboy

AA is bs. You can't deny someone that is more qualified for a job/eduction because there is some minority that wants the same thing, but is not as qualified. Of course people are raised under different circumstances, but the world works more efficiently by giving the person most qualified, the position. It's like you want to make everyone even, when they aren't even. It could be because of how and where the were raised, or that they are just less intelligent for some reason or another... It's not their fault, but just because it's not your fault doesn't mean we're going to give breaks compared to the rest of the population. There might be someone who can do a job 10x more efficiently than another person if they had the chance to get the same education, but was denied it because the other person who is less intelligent got the education he was supposed to receive. That's not right. Natural selection needs to take place...

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Well what people have to understand is college is a business. So of course minorities, legacy, out of state and international students are going to get some further consideration. Legacy students because their parents are alumni and most likely can pay for most of the education limiting the amount of money from the federal government the school has to give to students. Minorities because of the money they receive from the federal government for having minorities in their school, and international students well just ask an international student how much they pay in tuition compared to someone who is in state. Out of state is the same way. Yes ideally it should be based on merit. But are all of the qualified applicants coming from ideal situations? Lets face it everyone pays federal taxes that get thrown into a pot and redistributed and there are some areas that are getting better funding than others. So inevitably your going to have those that came from ideal situations for producing college ready students then those that...are not quite up to par. I think until there is a strong effort even the pre - college playing field there is going to have to be some consideration for race and socio economic background.

Pimpwerx

Legacy admissions go all the way down the line to elementary school. So it's hard to phase out, but I agree with dropping it. It's different from AA for obvious reasons. I don't agree with AA in principle, but given the situation we have, it's a necessary evil. OTOH, I don't think legacy points are exactly righting any previous wrongs. PEACE.

DarienA

retardboy said:
AA is bs. You can't deny someone that is more qualified for a job/eduction because there is some minority that wants the same thing, but is not as qualified. Of course people are raised under different circumstances, but the world works more efficiently by giving the person most qualified, the position. It's like you want to make everyone even, when they aren't even. It could be because of how and where the were raised, or that they are just less intelligent for some reason or another... It's not their fault, but just because it's not your fault doesn't mean we're going to give breaks compared to the rest of the population. There might be someone who can do a job 10x more efficiently than another person if they had the chance to get the same education, but was denied it because the other person who is less intelligent got the education he was supposed to receive. That's not right. Natural selection needs to take place...

Please don't reproduce. Intelligence does not equal education... next.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Slick_Advanced said:
'

Just because you benifit from something doesn't mean that you can't say it was wrong.

True, but it is funny he brought this all up after his daughters graduated.

edit: I am not leaning towards Kerry or Bush. I think both are crooks and liars. But 4 years of Republicans in the White House is about all the middle class can take before many of them become lower class. So it is time for the Democrats to get back in there.

andthebeatgoeson

He's against it, cuz it would shoot many holes into a fight against affirmative action, if you think about it.

How is affirmative action any different from letting in children of alumni get preferential treatment? I would be glad for a fight against 'legacy' with as much vigor as the fight of affirmative action. With the fight against affirmative action and the ignorance of 'legacy' type situations at every university, public and private, professional and undergrad, it's kinda like cheating your way to 47-0 lead then in the middle saying, 'Ok, ok, we'll stop cheating...let's finish the game.'

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Under legacy programs, applicants are given an advantage if their parents or grandparents attended the school. Bush, a third-generation graduate of Yale University, joked about his own legacy.

"Well, in my case, I had to knock on a lot of doors to follow the old man's footsteps," he said to laughter.<<<

Yeah, he was such a retard that even being a legacy from a prominent family nearly wasn't enough to get him admitted, LOL.

fart

Savant
this is base pandering. first of all no public school that I know of is allowed to consider legacy admissions a special case, so the administration's stance on this is inconsequential. second of all, the republican party has been instrumental in dismantling affirmative action, and the bush administration has presided over a period where minority admissions have dropped precipitously. what have they done about it over the last 4 years? nothing.

skinnyrattler said:
How is affirmative action any different from letting in children of alumni get preferential treatment?
Well, not that I'm on the side of legacy admissions, but the difference is money. Parents are more likely to give to their alma mater if their kid is going there, too.

Deg

Banned
"He was asked, "Colleges should get rid of legacy?""

I'm amazed the US even has this!

Then again the UK aint so great either :p

reggieandTFE said:
The day...

...that a black women and a white man can date without being awkwardly stared at on the streets...

...that a black kid isn't called white becuase he's reading a book...

...that there is no 30% wage gap between a black male and a white male from similar cohorts...

...that the hundreds of years of direct and indirect racism that has racialized the provision of housing, education and economic oppurtunity has evaporated...

will be the day people can stop worrying about race. Until then the question needs to be addressed and any compassionate individual will err on the side of providing benefits to those whose grandparents were lynched in Kentucky, homes were built on the wrong side of the tracks and labeled Uncle Toms for trying to raise up their community.

...And that day will never come if you have things that perpetuate racial inequality, such as Affirmative Action. The only way it would be fair (such as in the case of schooling) is if it gave equal benefits to people below a certain income level, as to benefit anyone with unfortunate circrumstances that are trying desperately to better themselves through education, regardless of race.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
The best is the Ossama quote. It just cuts to the whole crux of the matter, which is that everything is by convenience, and they dont REALLY give a fuck about terrorism. And now they're saying Ossama is still in command and control, as is Al-Qaeda, after they were supposedly destroyed and on the run.

Its whatever sounds best at the moment. Not much more than that.

Error Macro said:
...And that day will never come if you have things that perpetuate racial inequality, such as Affirmative Action. The only way it would be fair (such as in the case of schooling) is if it gave equal benefits to people below a certain income level, as to benefit anyone with unfortunate circrumstances that are trying desperately to better themselves through education, regardless of race.

exactly, in my personal expierence AA has created more racism from what ive seen.

Mandark

Small balls, big fun!
fart said:
first of all no public school that I know of is allowed to consider legacy admissions a special case, so the administration's stance on this is inconsequential.
fart nailed it. Bush says he is opposed to public affirmative action, over which he has power, and private legacies, over which he does not.

So his policies can only affect one group, but we're meant to take a leap of faith that he'd enact similar policies affecting another group if only he could, something that will never be put to the test. Pure posturing.

DJ_Tet

Banned
fart said:
please don't pervert obama's words that way, error macro.

obama bin sladin?

sorry, I mean no harm, but Obama has to be the most unfortunate name for a politician in the 20th or 21st century.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom