• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a retro collection through compilations (PS2, Xbox, GCN)

Speevy

Banned
The Genesis collection made me think of what an awesome idea it would be to own a huge variety of games in compilation forms. Let me first state that I despise emulators, and I can't remember a single fond memory I've had with them.

These are the most obvious ones. I was wondering if you could help me out by adding some others. There are also some collections found in odd places, like the NES games of Animal Crossing, the Ninja Gaiden unlockables, the SNES classic Super Punch Out in Fight Night Round 2.

Starting with Midway Arcade Treasures

-SpyHunter
-Defender
-Gauntlet
-Joust
-Paperboy
-Rampage
-Marble Madness
-Robotron 2084
-Smash TV
-Joust 2
-Bubbles
-RoadBlasters
-Defender II
-Blaster
-Rampart
-Sinistar
-Super Sprint
-Toobin'
-KLAX
-SPLAT!
-Satan's Hollow
-Vindicators

Midway Arcade Treasures 2:

-APB
-Arch Rivals
-Championship Sprint, Cyberball
-Gauntlet 2
-Hard Drivin'
-Kozmik Kroozr'
-Mortal Kombat 2
-Mortal Kombat 3
-NARC
-Pit Fighter.
-Primal Rage
-Rampage World Tour
-Spy Hunter 2.
-Total Carnage.
-Timber
-Wacko.
-Wizard of Wor.
-Xenophobe.
-Xybots.

Midway Arcade Treasures 3

-San Francisco Rush
-The Rock: Alcatraz Edition
-San Francisco Rush 2049
-Hydro Thunder, Badlands
-Off Road Thunder: Mud, Sweat 'N Gears
-Super Off Road (and its Bonus Tracks Pack)
-Race Drivin'
-S.T.U.N. Runner.

Namco Museum

-Pac-Man
-Ms. Pac-Man
-Galaga
-Galaxian
-Dig Dug
-Pole Position
-Pole Position II
-Rolling Thunder
-Rally X
-Bosconian
-Dragon Spirit
-Sky Kid
-Xevious
-Mappy

Sega Genesis Collection

-Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
-Altered Beast
-Bonanza Bros.
-Columns
-Comix Zone
-Decap Attack starring Chuck D. Head
-Ecco the Dolphin
-Ecco II: The Tides of Time
-Ecco Jr.
-Kid Chameleon
-Flicky
-Gain Ground
-Golden Axe I
-Golden Axe II
-Golden Axe III
-Phantasy Star II
-Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
-Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millenium
-Ristar
-Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
-Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
-Sonic the Hedgehog
-Sonic the Hedgehog 2
-Super Thunder Blade
-Sword of Vermilion
-Vectorman
-Vectorman 2
-Virtua Fighter 2

Metal Slug Anthology

-Metal Slug
-Metal Slug 2
-Metal Slug X
-Metal Slug 3
-Metal Slug 4
-Metal Slug 5
-Metal Slug 6!

Activision Anthology

-Barnstorming
-Boxing
-Checkers
-Chopper Command
-Cosmic Commuter
-Crackpots
-Dolphin
-Dragster
8-Enduro
-Fishing Derby
-Freeway
-Frostbite
-Grand Prix
-H.E.R.O.
-Ice Hockey
-Kaboom!
-Keystone Kapers
-Laser Blast
-Megamania
-Oink!
-Pitfall!
-Plaque Attack
-Pressure Cooker
-Private Eye
- River Raid
-River Raid 2
-Seaquest
-Skiing
-Sky Jinks
-Spider Fighter
-Stampede
-Starmaster
-Tennis
-Title Match
-Baseball
-Beamrider
-Bloody Human Freeway
-Bridge
-Decathlon
-Pitfall 2
-Robot Tank
-Skateboardin'
-Space Shuttle
-Tomcat F14
-Venetian Blinds
-Kabobber
-Thwocker
-Climber 5
-Okie Dokie
-Oystron
-Skeleton+
-SpaceThreat Deluxe
-Vault Assault
-Video Euchre

The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition

-The Legend of Zelda
-Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
-The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Sonic Mega Collection Plus

-Sonic The Hedgehog
-Sonic The Hedgehog 2
-Sonic The Hedgehog 3
-Sonic & Knuckles
-Sonic 3D Blast
-Sonic The Hedgehog Spinball and Dr. Robotnik s Mean Bean Machine, plus three Sonic lock-on games (from Sonic & Knuckles)
-The Ooze
-Comix Zone
-Flicky
--Ristar
-Sonic the Hedgehog
-Sonic Chaos
-Sonic Drift
-Sonic Labyrinth,
-Dr. Robotnik s Mean Bean Machine
-Sonic Blast

Capcom Classics Collection

-1943 Kai
-Bionic Commando
-Commando
--EXED Exes
-Final Fight
-Forgotten Worlds
-Ghosts'n Goblins
-Ghouls'n Goblins
-Gun.Smoke
-Legendary Wings
-Mercs
-Pirate Ship Higemaru
-Section Z
-SonSon
-Street Fighter II
-Street Fighter II: Championship Edition
-Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting
-Super Ghouls'n Ghosts
-Trojan
-Vulgus

Capcom Classics 2

-Avengers
-Black Tiger
-Block Block
-Captain Commando
-Eco Fighters
-Knights of the Round
-King of Dragons
-Last Duel
-Mega Twins
-Magic Sword
-Quiz and Dragons
-Side Arms
-The Speed Rumbler
-Street Fighter
-Super Street Fighter II Turbo
-Strider
-Three Wonders
-Tiger Road
-Varth

Tecmo Classic Arcade

-Tecmo Bowl
-Rygar
-Starforce
-Solomon's Key
-Bomb Jack
-Tecmo Cup
-Pinball Action
-Pleiads
-Senjyo
-Swimmer
-Strato Fighter

Street Fighter Anniversary Collection

-Street Fighter 2
-Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition
-Hyper Street Fighter 2
-Super Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers
-Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
-Street Fighter 3: The Third Strike

Street Fighter Alpha Anthology

-Street Fighter Alpha
-Street Fighter Alpha 2
-Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold
-Street Fighter Alpha 3
-Super Gem Fighter MiniMix

Mega Man Anniversary Collection

-Mega Man
-Mega Man 2
-Mega Man 3
-Mega Man 4
-Mega Man 5
-Mega Man 6
-Mega Man 7
-Mega Man 8
-Mega Man: The Power Battle
-Mega Man: The Power Fighters

Mega Man X Collection

-Mega Man X
-Mega Man X2
-Mega Man X3
-Mega Man X4
-Mega Man X5
-Mega Man X6
-Mega Man Battle and Chase

Taito Legends

-Space Invaders
-Jungle Hunt
-Bubble Bobble
-Operation Wolf
-Rainbow Islands
-Operation Thunderbolt
-Phoenix
-Space Invaders Part II
-Colony 7
-Electric YoYo
-Zoo Keeper
-Elevator Action
-Great Swordsman
-Gladiator
-Exzisus
-Plump Pop
-Rastan
-Super Qix
-New Zealand Story
-Battle Shark
-Continental Circus
-Plotting (aka Flipull)
-Volfied
-Ninja Kids
-Space Gun
-ThunderFox
-Tube It
-Return of the Invaders
-Tokio

Intellivision Lives

Relive the 80’s with Intellivision Lives! Over 60 classic Intellivision games available all in one package. Your all-time favorite games like Baseball, Astrosmash, Space Battle and more!

Sonic Adventure DX

-All Game Gear Sonics

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm surprised you missed:

The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Activision Anthology on PS2 and Game Boy Advance (Works on Gamecube)

Sonic Adventure DX contains all of the Game Gear Sonic titles.

Taito Legends on PS2 and Xbox

Parch

Is Namco Museum 50th Anniversary the same as Namco Museum?

Wow. That is a crapload of retro gaming. I think most of those collections if not all are for $20 bucks too.

Does it have to be really old games or console only because the list could expand a lot more with more recent compilations like the Blizzard stuff

Command & Conquer: The First Decade

WarCraft Battle Chest
StarCraft Battle Chest
Diablo Battle Chest
WarCraft III Battle Chest

Double-Packs
Final Fantasy Origins
Final Fantasy I&II
Final Fantasy Chronicles
Final Fantasy Anthology

Current Gen:
Devil May Cry Set
Resident Evil 10th Anniversary

CO_Andy

Speevy said:
The Genesis collection made me think of what an awesome idea it would be to own a huge variety of games in compilation forms. Let me first state that I despise emulators, and I can't remember a single fond memory I've had with them.
Eh? Most game compilations these days basically consist of roms attached to an emulator (take the Capcom Classics Collection for instance).

You forgot EA Replay for the PSP. :D
B.O.B.
Budokan
Desert Strike
Jungle Strike
Haunting Starring Polterguy
Mutant League Football
Road Rash
Road Rash II
Road Rash III
Syndicate
Ultima VII: The Black Gate
Virtual Pinball
Wing Commander
Wing Commander: Secret Missions

Wi-Fi multiplayer for Road Rash II, Budokan and Mutant League Football, and it's only $20. :D

EA Replay, unfortunately, other than being just for the PSP, is all SNES/Genesis ports, even of the games that were far worse on those platforms than on the PC -- Wing Commander and Secret Missions 1, Ultima, Syndicate...

How about the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Master Quest disc? Maybe not since it's just two versions of one game, and one is new...

There are a lot more of these. How about the Capcom Collection Mini Mix for GBA, with ports of the NES versions of Strider, Bionic Commando, and Mighty Final Fight, for instance?

Midway Arcade Treasures 3

No classic collection had more promise, or was more broken in execution... :( :(

I mean, how do you mess up a collection with Rush 2049 (the best racing game ever made), Hydro Thunder (awesome game), Rush The Rock: Alcatraz Edition, Super Off-Road (sans "Ironman" Ivan Stewart, likely for liscencing reasons), etc? Yet, somehow, they managed it. I bought it, it just out of curiosity if it could really bad as bad as I'd heard, but sadly it was... I mean, no control configuration? Having the default configurations be so awful (R for accelerate? What the heck? I want A to accelerate! Most of the games don't even have analog acceleration... why the heck do I have to hold down that button? On the GC that's not the most comfortable thing...)? No full car painting in Rush 2049? Annoyingly long load times in some games? Inconsistent frame rates? No 4-player mode and no sign of the N64-exclusive track in Hydro Thunder (I know the DC version has graphics that are closer to the arcade version, but the later N64 one had some additional features... this should have had the best of both.)? Etc, etc... so pitiful, Midway...

Midway Arcade Treasures 1 (well, other than the too-sensitive controls in Rampart and Gauntlet being really boring with no saving and infinite health at the press of a button) and Mega Man Anniversary Collection (one of the best/the best game collections ever made... the NES Mega Man games are about as good as it gets. :)) are good, though.

Also, Battle and Chase in MMX Collection? There goes my money!

You have to beat X1 through X3 to unlock it, though, and that's a pretty steep challenge...

A Black Falcon said:
EA Replay, unfortunately, other than being just for the PSP, is all SNES/Genesis ports, even of the games that were far worse on those platforms than on the PC -- Wing Commander and Secret Missions 1, Ultima, Syndicate...

How about the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Master Quest disc? Maybe not since it's just two versions of one game, and one is new...

There are a lot more of these. How about the Capcom Collection Mini Mix for GBA, with ports of the NES versions of Strider, Bionic Commando, and Mighty Final Fight, for instance?

No classic collection had more promise, or was more broken in execution... :( :(
Wi-Fi Mutant League Football. 'Nuff said. :)
As for MAT3, I'd agree with you. Rush The Rock was worth the $20 to me, IMHO, but I was dissapointed that Rush 2049 was the Dreamcast version and not the arcade version. I liked the arcade version better...

Wi-Fi Mutant League Football. 'Nuff said.
As for MAT3, I'd agree with you. Rush The Rock was worth the $20 to me, IMHO, but I was dissapointed that Rush 2049 was the Dreamcast version and not the arcade version. I liked the arcade version better...

First, read my greatly extended post below about some faults of MAT3. :)

... after that, responding to what you said... Rush the Rock? Yeah, it's nice... but that reminds me of one more of the very, very serious flaws in this collection: NO MULTIPLAYER FOR GAMES WHICH PLAYED VIA LINK IN ARCADES! Hydro Thunder and Rush 2049 get out of it by being straight DC ports (I already said some of the reasons why Hydro Thunder suffers; let's just say that I'm very happy that I still have my copy of the N64 version... better graphics are no replacement for more features. Between reconfigurable controls, one more track, four player (even if 3 and 4 player modes are first-person only, they EXIST), and no load times, it's not even close...

Rush 2049? The MAT3 version is good... in single player. The major flaw with it is the unbelievably bad multiplayer framerates, particularly in 3-4 player race or stunt modes. It's virtually unplayable there, and even 2 player race/stunt modes have bad framerates! And I thought that the N64 version's framerate got iffy in 4-player mode... compared to this, that framerate (and in 4 player it was not always great; even 2-player race mode slowed sometimes on the N64, which is why there is on 3/4 player race mode on the system... I was looking forward to getting a version with that in the game. Unfortunately, with these framerates, it should have been removed in this version too...) looks spectacular, sadly. It's also got load times, it's got no color painting (you can only select one of eight preset configurations, instead of being able to choose each of the car's three colors separately from a selection of dozens like in the N64 version), it's similarly stuck in an awful control scheme, and... well... it doesn't have my N64's player file with its 100-plus hours recorded (four million plus stunt points, for instance... :D)... as for the arcade version though, I disagree with you. While the arcade version does have slightly better graphics, it has no stunt mode, no battle mode, and no wings, as well as far fewer coins. Those are serious, serious flaws that make it a lot less interesting game, graphics aside... no, I'd just be happy with a better version of the DC game.

Rush: The Rock and Off-Road Thunder are horribly broken because of load times (particularly Off-Road Thunder, ridiculous there), no additions (where are simple high score tables, etc...), no control configuration, no multiplayer (the singular most important flaw. Put in splitscreen or don't bother releasing the collection.)... good games, but terribly ported.

Super Off-Road is as good as ever, though, so it's worth it anyway if you're as much of a fan of Super Off-Road as I am. :) (Badlands never was very good, so that one doesn't matter)

MAT3 on Gamecube is a hideous joke. Rush 2049 in 4 player goes unbelievably slow. Slower than even the Dreamcast version! Why must they hurt my feelings like this? Why must they hurt the ones they love?

D-X

Prince of Persia unlockable in Sands of Time XBox/PS2 and I think the second POP is unlockable on GC version

Shenmue II includes Hang On, Afterburner, Space Harrier

Agent X

Atari Anthology is one that you missed on PlayStation 2 and X-Box. It has 18 arcade games and 67 Atari 2600 games on the disc. You can click here to see the official page on Atari's site with the complete list of games.

I'd consider this to be one of the very best compilations out there, as it does a good job of dishing up a very large number of games (some of which have aged poorly, but many of which are truly time-tested gems), has very good quality emulation, and a nice amount of historical bonus material.

If you'd rather get a collection like this on PC, they have a very similar package called Atari: 80 Classic Games in One (which preceded Atari Anthology on PS2/X-Box). A handful of the 2600 games are different (maybe about 4 or 5 of them, mostly lower-profile games), but this mostly contains the same games. Click here for more information.

jgkspsx

Great thread. I buy any decent classics compilation.

Sonic Adventure doesn't have Sonic Drift 2, does it? Not that it matters. You missed Sonic Gems Collection, which has the half of the Sonic GG games that PS2 Sonic Mega Collection is missing in addition to Sonic the Fighters, Sonic CD, and Sonic R.

Gamecube SoT contains PoP1 unlockable, but you have to link to a completed SoT GBA to unlock it (not just once, EVERY TIME). Bleh.

You missed the waaaay superior JP/EU Taito collections. Bums me out how badly the US was shortchanged: EU got two compilations, with more than twice the games we got; JP is getting two volumes of two DVDs each, with 25 or more games per DVD. It would be one thing if it were just obscurities, but it's Qix, Puzzle Bobble, Elevator Action Returns, etc. that we're missing.

The PS1 Konami collection:
- Pooyan
- Scramble
- Yie Ar Kung Fu
- Roc'n'Rope
- Shao Lin's Road
- Circus Charlie
- Super Cobra
- Road Fighter
- Time Pilot
- Gyruss

The GBA Konami collection:
- Scramble
- Frogger
- Gyruss
- Yie Ar Kung Fu
- Rush'n'Attack
- Time Pilot

The PC Konami collection:
- Contra
- Super C
- Castlevania
- Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
- Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence:
- Metal Gear MSX
- Metal Gear 2 MSX

Midway Arcade's Greatest Hits Vol II (PS1):
- Moon Patrol (otherwise unavailable Taito game)

Tron 2.0: Killer App (GBA):
- Tron
- Tron: Deadly Discs

Tempest X (PS1):
- Tempest (remake)
- Tempest 2000 (remake)

The NamcoMuseum PS1 discs, which I'm too lazy to list.

Pac Man 2 (Gen/SNES):
- Pac Man
- Ms. Pac Man (SNES)
- Pac Man Jr. (GEN)

Pac Man Collection (GBA):
- Pac Man
- Pac Mania
- Pac Man Arrangement (same as the '98 arcade release?)
- Pac Attack (puzzle game)

Namco Museum Battle Collection (PSP):
- Pac Man
- Ms. Pac Man
- Dig Dug
- Dig Dug 2
- King & Balloon
- Galaxian
- Galaga
- Rally X
- New Rally X
- Xevious
- Bosconian
- Mappy
- Tower of Druaga
- Dragon Buster
- Motos
- Grobda
- Rolling Thunder

Don't forget the Atari "80 Games" compilation.

Great thread. I buy any decent classics compilation.

Then stay far, far away form MAT3... well actually get it, for S.T.U.N. Runner (yeah, it's got bad controls and an inconsistent framerate, but where else are you going to get a better version?) and Super Off-Road, but don't get rid of those N64 copies of Rush 1, Rush 2049 and Hydro Thunder!

Midway Arcade's Greatest Hits Vol II (PS1):
- Moon Patrol (otherwise unavailable Taito game)

Actually, Moon Patrol was also released for the GBC, paired with SpyHunter, as part of Midway's GBC versions of arcade classics in two-packs lineup...

Tron 2.0: Killer App GBA:
- Tron
- Tron: Deadly Discs

If this kind of stuff counts, do we also have to mention Donkey Kong 64, which includes the original arcade Donkey Kong game as well as the old Spectrum (I think) game Jetpak, or Excitebike 64 (Excitebike NES), or Metroid Prime (NES Metroid), etc? Not to mention Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike, which includes the arcade versions of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and The Return of the Jedi...

Parch

In honor of this thread I dug up Capcom Classics and finished Final Fight.
I haven't put enough time into this disc. There's a bunch of unlockables for each game that I'll have to work on.

The Genesis collection is next on the purchase radar, and I'll have to get the Capcom sequel too. The Taito collection does look good also.

I've got the Sonic Mega collection too. It's a must for Sonic fans, and it's worth it for Mean Bean Machine alone.

I also have the Activision Anthology and Intellivision Lives too but that is some seriously dated gaming. I can't believe how much mileage we put on the Intellivision way back when, but now most of those games are not at all enjoyable anymore. Astrosmash still rocks, but sports gaming sure has come a long, long way.

DarkCloud

A few other games with partial retro gaming squirreled away.

Tekken 5
-Tekken 1
-Tekken 2
-Tekken 3
-some arcade shooter in the loading screen that can be unlocked...can't rcall the name

Prince of Persia SoT(PS2/GC)
-Prince of Persia 1

Prince of Persia SoT(Xbox)
- Prince of Persia 1 and 2

Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks
-Mortal Kombat 2

Mortal Kombat Deceptiion Special
-Mortal Kombat 1

Mortal Kombat Apacolypse(PS2)
-Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

Madden 2005 Collectors(PS2)
-Bunch of old Genesis Maddens

Doom 3 Collectors set
-Doom
-Doom 2
-Ultimate Doom

Quake 4
-Quake 2

jgkspsx

A Black Falcon said:
Then stay far, far away form MAT3... well actually get it, for S.T.U.N. Runner (yeah, it's got bad controls and an inconsistent framerate, but where else are you going to get a better version?) and Super Off-Road, but don't get rid of those N64 copies of Rush 1, Rush 2049 and Hydro Thunder!
I bought this solely for STUNRunner, and gimped as it is, I'll keep it for STUNRunner. My favorite arcade game of the generation. I'd like to think someday I'll own the arcade cockpit version.

Actually, Moon Patrol was also released for the GBC, paired with SpyHunter, as part of Midway's GBC versions of arcade classics in two-packs lineup...
Those were ports, though. Digital Eclipse tried, but, man, it just didn't work. I admit I didn't play this two-pack, but Joust/Defender wasn't much good.

If this kind of stuff counts, do we also have to mention Donkey Kong 64, which includes the original arcade Donkey Kong game as well as the old Spectrum (I think) game Jetpak, or Excitebike 64 (Excitebike NES), or Metroid Prime (NES Metroid), etc? Not to mention Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike, which includes the arcade versions of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and The Return of the Jedi...
Yeah, that's sort of the point of this thread. Compilations that are labeled as such are easy to find, but Speevy was asking about accidental compilations like Animal Crossing. Right?

Also, like the Arcade DK in DK64, the GBA releases are the only legit console releases of Tron and Discs of Tron. They're great games, even with improper controls and squished displays. I hope that the world of microtransactions means that they (and other licensed games like Journey) get released officially in better form in the near future.

jgkspsx

P.S. I think the Activision 2600 games hold up as well or better as the arcade games of the era. They're perfect gameplay mechanics, perfectly implemented. HERO, River Raid, Pitfall, Barnstorming, etc. etc. etc. ... they had the best creative staff that ever will exist.

A Black Falcon said:
First, read my greatly extended post below about some faults of MAT3. :)

... after that, responding to what you said... Rush the Rock? Yeah, it's nice... but that reminds me of one more of the very, very serious flaws in this collection: NO MULTIPLAYER FOR GAMES WHICH PLAYED VIA LINK IN ARCADES! Hydro Thunder and Rush 2049 get out of it by being straight DC ports (I already said some of the reasons why Hydro Thunder suffers; let's just say that I'm very happy that I still have my copy of the N64 version... better graphics are no replacement for more features. Between reconfigurable controls, one more track, four player (even if 3 and 4 player modes are first-person only, they EXIST), and no load times, it's not even close...

Rush 2049? The MAT3 version is good... in single player. The major flaw with it is the unbelievably bad multiplayer framerates, particularly in 3-4 player race or stunt modes. It's virtually unplayable there, and even 2 player race/stunt modes have bad framerates! And I thought that the N64 version's framerate got iffy in 4-player mode... compared to this, that framerate (and in 4 player it was not always great; even 2-player race mode slowed sometimes on the N64, which is why there is on 3/4 player race mode on the system... I was looking forward to getting a version with that in the game. Unfortunately, with these framerates, it should have been removed in this version too...) looks spectacular, sadly. It's also got load times, it's got no color painting (you can only select one of eight preset configurations, instead of being able to choose each of the car's three colors separately from a selection of dozens like in the N64 version), it's similarly stuck in an awful control scheme, and... well... it doesn't have my N64's player file with its 100-plus hours recorded (four million plus stunt points, for instance... :D)... as for the arcade version though, I disagree with you. While the arcade version does have slightly better graphics, it has no stunt mode, no battle mode, and no wings, as well as far fewer coins. Those are serious, serious flaws that make it a lot less interesting game, graphics aside... no, I'd just be happy with a better version of the DC game.

Rush: The Rock and Off-Road Thunder are horribly broken because of load times (particularly Off-Road Thunder, ridiculous there), no additions (where are simple high score tables, etc...), no control configuration, no multiplayer (the singular most important flaw. Put in splitscreen or don't bother releasing the collection.)... good games, but terribly ported.

Super Off-Road is as good as ever, though, so it's worth it anyway if you're as much of a fan of Super Off-Road as I am. :) (Badlands never was very good, so that one doesn't matter)
As for Rush The Rock, I played it mostly in single player, so no multiplayer isn't much of a loss to me. Everything else isn't much of a problem to me. I can grin and bear it.
As for Rush 2049, the arcade version has 100 coins per track, and it has Alcatraz. And IMHO, the stunt and battle modes were pure fluff to me. I only bothered with the stunt mode to collect the coins. If the battle mode had AI opponents, it would be good, but it doesn't, so it's not. And the arcade version had more AI cars on the track (7 as opposed to 5), and the wings take out half of the challenge of making a perfect landing anyways. I stand by my previous statements.

DarkCloud said:
That I am. Thanks muchly. Awesome little shooter and about the only reason i pop in Tekken 5 anymore.
You're welcome. :) God bless Namco and their loading minigames. :)
Fuzzy said:
I'm surprised you missed:

The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
I wonder if this one is easy to acquire, and if it's cheaper to buy this than downloading them off of Virtual Console...

jgkspsx

ferrarimanf355 said:
I wonder if this one is easy to acquire, and if it's cheaper to buy this than downloading them off of Virtual Console...
Yes, and maybe. It goes for $30-$35. We don't know if the wii point values are just the low end, or the standard price for all games, though (do we?).

Wel if these discs are backwards compatible it will save you money by keeping you from spending on VC titles or XBLA titles. These games would cost you alot more if you bought them seperately......assuming they end up being downloadable on next gen systems of course.

Yeah, that's sort of the point of this thread. Compilations that are labeled as such are easy to find, but Speevy was asking about accidental compilations like Animal Crossing. Right?

Also, like the Arcade DK in DK64, the GBA releases are the only legit console releases of Tron and Discs of Tron. They're great games, even with improper controls and squished displays. I hope that the world of microtransactions means that they (and other licensed games like Journey) get released officially in better form in the near future.

I was thinking that it's different when they're just bonuses and it's only one to three games though... oh, I need to mention that you can only get Return of the Jedi-arcade in RSIII with a cheatcode -- while Star Wars and TESB can be unlocked, RotJ for some reason can't. Code only.

I bought this solely for STUNRunner, and gimped as it is, I'll keep it for STUNRunner. My favorite arcade game of the generation. I'd like to think someday I'll own the arcade cockpit version.

I said a lot about this collection but could say more because of how much I love some of the games included... but sadly, the greatness of the games can't make me give it anything other than a bad score because of how badly it was made.

As for Rush The Rock, I played it mostly in single player, so no multiplayer isn't much of a loss to me. Everything else isn't much of a problem to me. I can grin and bear it.
As for Rush 2049, the arcade version has 100 coins per track, and it has Alcatraz. And IMHO, the stunt and battle modes were pure fluff to me. I only bothered with the stunt mode to collect the coins. If the battle mode had AI opponents, it would be good, but it doesn't, so it's not. And the arcade version had more AI cars on the track (7 as opposed to 5), and the wings take out half of the challenge of making a perfect landing anyways. I stand by my previous statements.

Racing games are some of the best multiplayer games around, so no multiplayer is a huge problem... I've played many hours of multiplayer Rush 2049 on the N64, but the GC version? I doubt I would have (if I had had that instead back then), with those multiplayer framerates, which is really too bad given how great a game it is, in both multiplayer and single player... this applies to Rush the Rock too -- multiplayer in that game (in the arcades, or on N64 in Rush 1) was pretty fun, and it's badly missed. Off-Road Thunder too... I've played that multiplayer in arcades before. Great fun, it's badly missed.

As for those other points about Rush 2049, I should have remembered about the 7 opponent cars, but didn't know abou the 100 coins... I've only played the arcade version like twice, it wasn't very common (unlike Rush the Rock or the Thunder games)... and Battle Mode is great. Sure, it's the weakest of the three modes because there's nothing there for one player and in multiplayer the sheer brilliance of Stunt mode dominates and makes most people want to spend most of their time there, but I honestly think that it's probably the best vehicular combat game on the N64, and it's certainly better than the battle mode in any of the Mario Kart games...

Oh yeah, and wings are maybe the best feature of the whole game. I really, really love teh wings, and playing Rush 1 or 2 is kind of painful because of all the moments I want to use the wings but can't... fantastic idea, I really wish that more games would have them, and Rush 2049 wouldn't be anywhere near as good without them.

This is a very good point that illustrates how badly Virtual Console games are overpriced... the VC is a great idea, but the high prices are annoying.

In this case though the VC games might actually be cheaper, once they become available... $30-$35? I've seen it for as high as $50 used... maybe better deals can be found on EBay though, I'm not sure. Of course, additionally OoT and MM aren't on VC yet...

Scott

Here's the list of games you're missing for Intellivision Lives!:

• Armor Battle
• Astrosmash
• Auto Racing
• B-17 Bombing
• Backgammon
• Baseball
• Basketball
• Battle Tanks
• Biplanes
• Body Slam: Super Pro Wrestling
• Bomb Squad
• Bowling
• Boxing
• Brickout
• Buzz Bombers
• Checkers
• Chip Shot: Super Pro Golf
• Crosswords
• Deep Pockets: Pool & Billiards
• Demo Cartridge
• Factor Fun
• Football
• Frog Bog
• Golf
• Hard Hat
• Hockey
• Horseracing
• Hover Force
• Hypnotic Lights
• Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack
• Las Vegas Roulette
• Magic Carousel
• Math Master
• Memory Fun
• Motocross
• Mountain Madness: Super Pro Skiing
• Night Stalker
• Pinball
• Racing Cars
• Reversi
• Royal Dealer
• Sea Battle
• Shark! Shark!
• Sharp Shot
• Skiing
• Slam Dunk: Super Pro Basketball
• Slam Shot: Super Pro Hockey
• SNAFU
• Soccer
• Space Armada
• Space Battle
• Space Hawk
• Space Spartans
• Spider: Super Pro Volleyball
• Stadium Mudbuggies
• Star Strike
• Sub Hunt
• Super Pro Decathalon
• Super Pro Football
• Tennis
• Thin Ice
• Thunder Castle
• Tower of Doom
• Utopia
• Vectron
• Word Hunt
• Word Rockets
• World Championship Baseball

I am completly friggin pumped for Capcom Classics 2 and the Genesis Collection. So awesome.

Taito Legends 2 better come here eventually, otherwise they must deal with my furious anger.

I've been following the state of retro collections pretty closely for several years, and to be honest, the quality of emulation and presentation in most of them leaves much to be desired. They just don't bring the same experience that you get from playing the originals on the original system. There are video issues, emulation quirks, sound problems, and control issues all over the place. Now, there are those that do an excellent job at bringing the feeling through. I've written up some of my favorites:

Sega Ages 2500 - Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box
Sega Ages 2500 - Space Harrier II Collection
Capcom Classics Collection Remixed

And some I didn't like so much...
Space Invaders Pocket
Sega Ages 2500: Panzer Dragoon

And a couple I hated:
Taito Legends
Oretachi Geisen Zoku - Time Pilot

The current Sega Ages 2500 releases do the best possible job of bringing the feel of the games on their original consoles, along with tons of supplementary material like prototypes, overseas versions, manuals from all territories, and so on. If you can play imports, get 'em, and skip that Genesis Collection. Oh, and go for the Namco Museum games on PSX instead of any of the more recent Museums if you want accuracy.

Of course, if the usual problems modern collections have don't bother you, then play away.

DeadTrees

Ultimate Quake
Quake
Quake II
Quake III: Arena

Sierra's recent King's Quest/Space Quest/Leisure Suit Larry/Police Quest compilations.

The Lost Treasures of Infocom I and II.

There was a standalone Doom collector's edition for PC that had Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom. Sold for $10 at Wal-Mart for quite a while.

Not a compilation per se, but all three Marathon games were ported to PC and are free downloads at Bungie's site.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
taito legends sounds pretty awful. i finally picked up the japanese taito memories comps -- i would've paid full price if the vertical games had tate modes -- and i've really been enjoying them. even the relative stinkers tend to have great music and tons of style.

the cool thing about compilations as opposed to a la carte downloads is that they expose you to smaller games you wouldn't have tried otherwise.

Speevy said:
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection

-Street Fighter 2
-Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition
-Hyper Street Fighter 2
-Super Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers
-Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
-Street Fighter 3: The Third Strike

just a few corrections and clarifications...

Street Fighter Anniversary Collection does not include SF2, SF2CE, SF2HF, SSF2 and SSF2T.
what it does include is Hyper SF2... a new SF2 wich enables you to select any version of Street Fighter Character in AIed Super SF2 Turbo game.
AI difficulty is increased from regula SSF2T.
The conditions to meet Akuma have been beefed up even more then they arleady were (used to be no continues... in HSF2 they changed it to no rounds lost)

D-X

Oh how could I forget Ms Pac Man Maze Madness (Dreamcast) has Ms Pac Man.
Dynamite Cop has Tranquilizer Gun

Rlan

Sonic Gems Collection has been mentioned, but it actually includes:

Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Sega CD, port of PC version)
Sonic the Fighters (Arcade, ported by Sega-AM2)
Sonic R (Sega Saturn, port of PC version, with PC Weather change options and 4 player mode]

The collection also includes six Game Gear games that were not in Sonic Mega Collection Plus, which are:
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic Spinball
Sonic Triple Trouble
Sonic Drift 2
Tails' Skypatrol
Tails Adventure

As well as that, the US version includes as unlockables:

Vectorman 1
Vectorman 2

and the Japanese version includes along with those:

Bonanza Bros.
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3

Stupidly kept out of the US version to keep the rating system down.

Taito Legends 2

(All platforms)
Alpine Ski
Arabian Magic
Bonze Adventure (Jigoku Meguri in Japan)
Cameltry
Chack'n Pop
Cleopatra Fortune
Crazy Balloon
Darius Gaiden
Don Doko Don
Dungeon Magic (Light Bringer in Japan)
Elevator Action Returns (Elevator Action 2 in other countries)
The Fairyland Story
Football Champ (Hat Trick Hero in other countries)
Front Line
Gekirindan
Grid Seeker: Project Storm Hammer
Growl (Runark in Japan)
Gun Frontier
Insector X
KiKi KaiKai
Kuri Kinton
Legend of Kage
Liquid Kids (Mizubaku Adventure in Japan)
Lunar Rescue
Metal Black (Gun Frontier 2)
Nastar Warrior (Rastan [Saga] 2 in Japan, Nastar in other countries)
Puchi Carat
Puzzle Bobble 2 (Bust-A-Move 2 in the U.S. Market)
Qix
Raimais
Space Invaders 95 (Akkan-vaders in Japan)
Space Invaders DX
Super Space Invaders 91 (Majestic Twelve: The Space Invaders Part IV in Japan)
Violence Fight
Wild Western

(PS2 exclusives)
Balloon Bomber
G-Darius
Ray Storm
Syvalion

(Xbox/PC exclusives)
Bubble Symphony (Bubble Bobble 2 in other countries; exclusive to this collection)
Cadash
Pop 'n Pop (exclusive to this collection)
Rayforce (Gunlock in other countries; exclusive to this collection)

You can also get this small compilation for very cheap in Europe/Australia:

B0006FNV5K.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Those are the "Strikers 1945" games by Psikyo.

Agent X

Those are some great reviews, jiji! I haven't played many of the ones you've reviewed, but I do agree with your analysis of Capcom Classics Collection Remixed for PSP. They really did an excellent job on that one.

jgkspsx said:

For what it's worth, if you're serious about owning one, STUN Runner is generally very cheap and readily available. I got mine for $120 and I've seen many sell for similar amounts over the last several years. I'm not sure why, but I'm guessing it's because it came out at a time where it's not quite considered "classic" to the hardcore vintage arcade collectors, and not quite new enough for a lot of the people into the newer Jamma fighters and such. A lot of other similar late 80s (APB, Hard Drivin', Xybots, etc) tend to sell cheap as well. Also, the fact that STUN Runner is big and heavy means it's less desirable when space is at a premium. (Incidentally, though the cabinet is long, it's not even as wide as a standard upright game -- it actually squeezes into tight spaces pretty nicely!)

jgkspsx

It seems as if Capcom is giving Digital Eclipse the time and funding necessary to allow them to work their old magic. They've done a lot of really sloppy and perfunctory work since the PS1 era, largely due to the fact their bosses (Midway and Atari) didn't see the arcade back catalog as anything but easy cashflow. It's a treat to see the love and attention they've put into the Capcom collections.
drohne said:
taito legends sounds pretty awful. i finally picked up the japanese taito memories comps -- i would've paid full price if the vertical games had tate modes -- and i've really been enjoying them. even the relative stinkers tend to have great music and tons of style.
I think the emulation is the same? In any case, the real disappointment in Legends is how few games there are and how many major omissions (Qix! Jeez!) there are. I didn't have much of a problem with button mappings.
the cool thing about compilations as opposed to a la carte downloads is that they expose you to smaller games you wouldn't have tried otherwise.
Indeed. Electric Yo Yo isn't so fun, but it's very interesting from a design standpoint and as a stepping-stone for Qix. And I like Tube It, even if it's not as good as either of its inspirations.

jgkspsx said:
I think the emulation is the same? In any case, the real disappointment in Legends is how few games there are and how many major omissions (Qix! Jeez!) there are. I didn't have much of a problem with button mappings.
Taito Legends was developed entirely by Western staff. As far as I've heard, Empire had MAMEdev folks working for them. The PS2 version of Legends 2 uses code from Memories vol. 1 and 2, but the Xbox version is all Western-developed.

While we're listing inclusions, we might as well throw in the contents of Taito Memories 2 Joukan (Vol. 1):

Scramble Formation (Tokio)
Super Qix
Operation Thunderbolt
Darius II
Fighting Hawk
Bubble Memories
Return of the Invaders
Rainbow Islands
Kick and Run
Continental Circus
Chuuka Taisen
Rayforce
Space Chaser
Grand Champion
Time Tunnel
The Undoukai
Ben Bero Bee
Exzisus
Asuka & Asuka
S.C.I.
Champion Wrestler
Space Gun
Ninja Kids
Dino Rex
Ougon no Shiro (Gladiator)

There's a lot of junk from Legends 1 in there, but at least S.C.I. is finally showing up. Taito's holding a fan survey to choose the games for the second volume of Memories 2.

Top Bottom