• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bypassing Halo Multiplayer Incompatability

Maybe it's a stupid question, but is there a way to by pass the Original Halo/Game of the Year Halo incompatability issue? A friend is hosting a LAN party and I'd like to bring the 'Box and Halo, but I'd really not rather have to buy a new copy of the game in order to play against everyone.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There...is a problem?

I've played a LOT of Halo LAN and I KNOW that we mixed them. Two of us (including me) have original copies of Halo while the other two people had GotY editions. There were no problems.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Jimmy Carter said:
Maybe there isn't, but I thought I'd read earlier that the two were incompatible with each other.

way back when it was released (the GOTY version), there were rumors that they were incompatable... but i think it was all bullshit, as i've never had any problems

What's the difference between the GOTY edition and the early one, besides the tag on the boxart?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
6.8 said:
What's the difference between the GOTY edition and the early one, besides the tag on the boxart?

i dont think there are any... other then the goty one doesnt have the demos the first release had, but instead has the halo 2 announcement trailer

Apprenlty the first pressing of the GotY version doesn't work with other versions. They fixed it for later pressings. If you call up Microsoft tech support (1-800-4-MY-XBOX) they should let you send it in and then they will send you a fixed copy.

StrikerObi said:
Apprenlty the first pressing of the GotY version doesn't work with other versions. They fixed it for later pressings. If you call up Microsoft tech support (1-800-4-MY-XBOX) they should let you send it in and then they will send you a fixed copy.

Okay, thanks. That makes sense.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ah, that's interesting...

The only other difference I've noticed (besides the demos) is that the original edition shipped on a DVD9 while the GotY version did not.

TheDuce22

Banned
Calling up microsoft is your best bet, they dont make you send in the old copy and will mail you a new one for free.

Hero

TheDuce22 said:
Calling up microsoft is your best bet, they dont make you send in the old copy and will mail you a new one for free.

How do they know you actually bought Halo then?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
there is incompatibilities between PAL/NTSC versions of the game, not the goty and regular retail version iirc.

TheDuce22

Banned
"How do they know you actually bought Halo then?"

They asked me for the serial number on the Halo disk and the number on my xbox from what I remember.

Drexon

Banned
<Alternate solution> If atleast one of you has a chipped box you can just copy the other one's game onto the HDD. </Alternate solution>

Top Bottom