• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

C|Net: Net video explosion triggers traffic jam worries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blame Steve Jobs, or maybe YouTube.com.

What's new:
The amount of video online is skyrocketing, whether it's "Lost" episodes or movie trailer mash-ups. The phenomenon is putting new stress on ISP networks, which are seeing the demands on their bandwidth burgeon.

Bottom line:
Several start-ups are hoping to address the problem with technologies such as peer-to-peer, but it's far too early to say whether these solutions will be more efficient for ISPs than simply buying more bandwidth.
Full Story; C|Net News.Com

i don't see how this surge is bigger than the surge started up by p2p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The growth may not be bigger - well I don't know - but it's growth on top of growth. I use things like youtube and google video a lot more than i ever used P2P (not that I ever used it much at all) - i guess it's just a lot more accessible and useable for most people.

Mugen

Banned
YouTube files are small tho. Kinda like downloading one 10Meg MP3. If there's more growth on top of the P2P, it's only very minimal.

sonicfan

Venerable Member
If been on YouTube a lot recently, and vidilife.com too. I was wondering how much bandwith these sort of sites must eat up. (not to mention every attention whore on MySpace loading their page with videos) I've uploaded a fair amount of videos too. I've probably uploaded more bits in the last few months than I had in the previous 5 years combined. Its got to be stressing some points in the system. I do know that YouTube can get slow at times.

Edit, just a FYI, I found this on YouTube's site, dated Jan 9:

Issue: Video pausing. During peak hours users may occasionally notice that new or popular videos are slow to download, causing a pausing effect.

Cause: YouTube is currently serving over 45 terabytes of video per day. This is equal to 75,000 dial-up modems running at full speed for an entire day.

Resolution: To keep up with this demand and future growth, we're constantly working on ways to improve our internet connectivity. We expect some of our most recent additions to come online over the next few days and weeks.

I bet its grown 50% since then.......

Mashing

It's all Myspace's fault. We're considering banning it from work as it is ALL I ever see students doing in computer labs.

ISPs: OH NOES USERS ARE STEALING OUR MEGAHURTZ.
User: "Reloads Chronic of Narnia"..." PLUS RED VINES = SUPER DELICIOUS"
ISPs: PROFIT AM CRY.

On a more serious note, I assume that a lot of that "dark fiber" that was run in the late 1990s by dot-bombs like Level3/Global Crossing/MCI is starting to get finally used up. My bet is that even with the impending and unstoppable explosion of wireless broadband in the next ten years as a last-mile revolution, there's going to be steady and heavy investment in bringing up capacity again by the tier 1 providers over the next decade or so. Will be interesting to see what form and innovations in communication technology this will generate.

sonicfan

Venerable Member
Fragamemnon said:
ISPs: OH NOES USERS ARE STEALING OUR MEGAHURTZ.
User: "Reloads Chronic of Narnia"..." PLUS RED VINES = SUPER DELICIOUS"
ISPs: PROFIT AM CRY.

On a more serious note, I assume that a lot of that "dark fiber" that was run in the late 1990s by dot-bombs like Level3/Global Crossing/MCI is starting to get finally used up. My bet is that even with the impending and unstoppable explosion of wireless broadband in the next ten years as a last-mile revolution, there's going to be steady and heavy investment in bringing up capacity again by the tier 1 providers over the next decade or so. Will be interesting to see what form and innovations in communication technology this will generate.

Yeah all those lines that have been sitting around waiting to get used, I assume are not going to be. It also may a boost to adding more routers and such.

MAKE WAY FOR THE NEXT DOTCOM BOOM!!!!! LET'S ALL GET RICH AGAIN!!!!!!!

sonicfan said:
MAKE WAY FOR THE NEXT DOTCOM BOOM!!!!! LET'S ALL GET RICH AGAIN!!!!!!!

Making money, even indirectly by means of equities in companies that provide bandwidth, off emokiddies on myspace or through the viral propagation of high-bandwidth random internet memes, is wrong on so many levels.

Then again, riding a DOT-COM 2.0 wave powered by teen angst and pubescent ennui into early retirement sounds pretty badass. Do we get the sock puppet ads again?

Ristamar

Mashing said:
It's all Myspace's fault. We're considering banning it from work as it is ALL I ever see students doing in computer labs.

God, I hate that crap.

NO ONE WANTS TO WATCH OR HEAR YOUR SHITTY EMO SONG OF THE DAY EVERYTIME THE PAGE LOADS.

sonicfan

Venerable Member
Fragamemnon said:
Making money, even indirectly by means of equities in companies that provide bandwidth, off emokiddies on myspace or through the viral propagation of high-bandwidth random internet memes, is wrong on so many levels.

Then again, riding a DOT-COM 2.0 wave powered by teen angst and pubescent ennui into early retirement sounds pretty badass. Do we get the sock puppet ads again?

teen angst and pubescent ennui FTW!

I know alot of people that have been getting emails from YouTube and there videos have been deleted because of copyright problems. I wonder how long they're going to be able to keep that site running?

sonicfan

Venerable Member
SolidSnakex said:
I know alot of people that have been getting emails from YouTube and there videos have been deleted because of copyright problems. I wonder how long they're going to be able to keep that site running?

Yeah, there was this lady who had uploaded a HUGE number of videos, lots of classic stuff, and tons and tons of Rolling Stones stuff. The Stones I guess complained, and YouTube deleted her account. But she's back now.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Euterperocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom