• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

C&VG faces suspension as Future buys Dennis' games portfolio

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=new&aid=4024

C&VG faces suspension as Future buys Dennis' games portfolio
Rob Fahey 12:08 23/08/2004

Dennis exits game mag market, Future set to suspend long-running title as ABCs fall

The circulation of C&VG collapsed 40 per cent year on year in its last audit, dropping to just over 19,000, and according to a statement made to the City this morning, Future expects to suspend the publication of the long-running title "in its current form."

Staff from both computerandvideogames.com and PC Zone are set to move to the London offices of Future's FXM International subsidiary.

"This acquisition is a useful addition to our portfolio of titles in the games area," commented Future Network CEO Greg Ingham, "and the well-respected computerandvideogames.com site adds to our existing successful online presence."

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Well I hope the site does stay open anyway, even if it changes its name. Every so often they have an exclusive interview or hands on that makes the place worthwhile.

Actually it seems pretty clear it will, so no worries. The mag really is a pile of crap, you couldn't go a paragraph without seeing some form of sexual innuendo,

snapty00

Banned
Maybe they can get rid of their current site and become a 100%-dedicated political site dedicated to warding off the evil non-Britons.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Well this makes things a lot more convienient for Atari now, only one address for the cash.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wow, their circulation was only at 19k? Crikey.

Wasn't CV&G the oldest videogames mag in the world? At least that's what they used to claim in their ads. I never was particularly fond of them, only bought a few issues. It'd still be somewhat sad to see them go, though, especially since they've been around for such a long time.

Raxel

Wow, what a fall from grace. I remember their metallic silver rise of the robots issue, they used to be pretty damn good around then, up until the DC came out. I wonder where Ed Lomas is right now...

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Raxel said:
Wow, what a fall from grace. I remember their metallic silver rise of the robots issue, they used to be pretty damn good around then, up until the DC came out. I wonder where Ed Lomas is right now...

Probably hung over. I was at his birthday piss-up only two days ago ;)

Mama Smurf said:
Well I hope the site does stay open anyway, even if it changes its name. Every so often they have an exclusive interview or hands on that makes the place worthwhile.

Not since Johnny Minkley left.

Raxel said:
Game Online >>>>> CVG online. Check out these choice quotes from CVG when they saw the MGS2 trailer at E3, they're just ridiculous:

Hater! :) Besides, go find quotes from the E3 premiere of MGS2's trailer, they're all basically in similar fashion.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
john tv said:
How many publishers are there in the UK, anyway? And who puts out what?

There are quite a few mag publishers, but now only Future (OXM, OPS2M, Edge, GamesMaster, now PSW, some Xbox shite, NGC, unofficial PS2 mag and, phew, CVG) and Paragon (GamesTM, PS2, Play, XBM, Cube and some cheat shit) dominate. Future has about 85% and Paragon the remaining 15%. But there is also EMAP, who's one interest is Nintendo Official Magazine. Which I guess we're all just waiting for Future to snap up next! ;)

Oh, and there's the two independents that make the trade mags (MCV and indie).

Top Bottom