• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

BeeDog

One question for the PS3 owners: as of a day or two ago I can barely find any Team Deathmatch game (or FFA for that matter), it takes forever to get to the "waiting for...more players" screen, and even then nothing happens. And it's blazing fast to find a Domination, S&D or Headquarters game. What gives?

Kyoufu

BeeDog said:
One question for the PS3 owners: as of a day or two ago I can barely find any Team Deathmatch game (or FFA for that matter), it takes forever to get to the "waiting for...more players" screen, and even then nothing happens. And it's blazing fast to find a Domination, S&D or Headquarters game. What gives?

Since christmas its been very slow in finding games for me and my friends. I play from EU so we don't have the update patch yet.

I'd love to use stopping power perk along with the P90, however losing UAV Jammer is like getting pistol whipped in the balls.

I'm having a dilemma though, do I use dead silence, martyrdom or deeper impact.

X26

Banned
Wasn't able to play a game at all yesterday. Logged onto live the same as always and halo worked fine, yet with CoD4 I got messages along the lines of I need an active connection to play online or whatever, and when that didn't show up it would search for games without ifnding any and boot me. Lots of wierd lag and freezes too

Anyone having trouble connecting to multiplayer on the PS3? Yesterday and today im getting the dreaded "Downloading Game Settings" All of my other PSN buddies are playing online w/o any trouble. I rebooted my PS3 and tried to connect but I still can't get to multiplayer.

Sushen

commish said:
My brother just got a PS3 and he buys COD 4 so we can play together. First map we play on together is this Bloc. He dies about 40000000 times before he even sees a person. Needless to say, he was pissed. It's just snipers all day. I rarely see the Bloc, however. I play domination 97% of the time, and I don't even know if it's in that rotation, bc I've never seen it in anything but deathmatch.
I used to hate Bloc for the same reason, but once you figure out the map, you will realize you can walk around the normal path and sneak behind those snipers to personally deliver your knife one at a time. Most of snipers are not aware of their own surroundings concentrating on sniper scope. Just watch out for clamores and you'll have a killing fest.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
commish said:
My brother just got a PS3 and he buys COD 4 so we can play together. First map we play on together is this Bloc. He dies about 40000000 times before he even sees a person. Needless to say, he was pissed. It's just snipers all day. I rarely see the Bloc, however. I play domination 97% of the time, and I don't even know if it's in that rotation, bc I've never seen it in anything but deathmatch.

I love when the other team snipes because I eat snipers for lunch. About 90% of the time I use UAV Jammer so the sniper never sees me coming up from behind.

charsace

Does anyone else like the shotgun?

FBx3
Juggers
extreme conditioning

That is my set for it. I love running up and blasting a pack of fools with the shotty. I feel like Chow Yun Fat from A Better Tomorrow II when playing this setup.

Hammer

X26 said:
Wasn't able to play a game at all yesterday. Logged onto live the same as always and halo worked fine, yet with CoD4 I got messages along the lines of I need an active connection to play online or whatever, and when that didn't show up it would search for games without ifnding any and boot me. Lots of wierd lag and freezes too

This just started happening to me too. I am unable to locate any games, and even occasionally freeze while searching. Most of the time, however, I'm getting this pop up notice:

"You must have an active network connection to play online or system link games."

Only I do have an active network, and have verified everything is connected and appears in working order. So is it safe to say this is on their end? Anyone else hear anything or know whats up?

I really wanted to play COD4 this weekend too. =(

Edit= 360 Version btw

h1nch

I've been getting those error messages too but I usually just retry the connection and it works fine.

What I've been noticing is that often times the game will be about to start, but the server refuses to set the teams. it just sits there "balancing teams" forever and everyone has to back out and find a different game. This didn't start happening until this week.

Pharmacy

Banned
BeeDog said:
The shotgun is killer on the right map. Especially Vacant is shotgun-heaven.

Speaking of shotguns, is it better to go with Stopping Power or the explosive damage perk (forgot its name)? Because I don't understand what the difference between them is

raYne

Gunstar77 said:
I love when the other team snipes because I eat snipers for lunch. About 90% of the time I use UAV Jammer so the sniper never sees me coming up from behind.
You do know that the Jammer only blocks you from UAV sweeps (the 3 kill bonus) right? Unless you're silencer equipped, once you fire, you still show up on the normal radar. So, it's not all that useful getting the drop on snipers... Especially not compared to Dead Silence.

Pharmacy said:
Speaking of shotguns, is it better to go with Stopping Power or the explosive damage perk (forgot its name)? Because I don't understand what the difference between them is
If you mean Sonic Boom, it's for explosives only. Grenades, Claymores, etc. It has nothing to do with the shotty.

DuckRacer

Pharmacy said:
Sonic boom? Unless you're tossing out grenades like they're going out of style, you're better off with Stopping Power (or even Juggernaut).

Pharmacy

Banned
Thanks, I'll change then. Its just every shotty only player I've seen who are dominating have sonic boom without Frag x3 which seems like a waste :\

Kyoufu

Sonic Boom is best used on Vacant where you have Fragx3 and Martyrdom along with a grenade launcher attachment lol

Frag x 3 - Game

Martyrdom - Set

Gren. Launcher - Match

raYne

Son of Godzilla said:
Are the unlockable sniper rifles really that much better? I really like the original with it's scope but everyone I know mocks me for it. :/
Nope.

They're all equally meh. Even the "dreaded" .50 cal that everyone was all :O over before they unlocked it is "eh".

Pharmacy

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Are the unlockable sniper rifles really that much better? I really like the original with it's scope but everyone I know mocks me for it. :/

M21 is pretty good, but the Barrett 50. Cal is the biggest disappointment ever

X26

Banned
If I can't play the game I may as well talk about it (IW, MS, whoever, fix this shit!)

Spe****g of snipers, aside from the .50 cal which others are a one shot kill when paired with stopping power (and not taking the juggenraut perk into account)

raYne

Pharmacy said:
M21 is pretty good
Ya, that's pretty much all anyone uses.

but the Barrett 50. Cal is the biggest disappointment ever
Indeed! :lol

I used the R700 quite a bit, but even that isn't anything special. Still, sniping bores me to tears, so I usually just kill a sniper and take whatever he has as my 2nd weapon. Particularly if my primary at the time was something short ranged.

That way I don't have a waste a perk for overkill and get to keep stopping power, or whatever perk I have in the 2nd slot. Heh.

X26 said:
Spe****g of snipers, aside from the .50 cal which others are a one shot kill when paired with stopping power (and not taking the juggenraut perk into account)
Well, they're all target hit location dependent ;), but save for the 50 cal, the bolt action rifles are one shot torso kills with SP.

Unless the target has Juggernaut equipped of course.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
My friend is playing COD4 and is wondering why it hasn't improved its graphics since COD2 [he doesn't care about frames per second]. He also says Resistance looks better than this and is wondering what all the hype is about :lol.

I see what he means though. The games look about the same graphically, but you cannot deny how buttery smooth at 60fps this game is.

reilo said:
My friend is playing COD4 and is wondering why it hasn't improved its graphics since COD2 [he doesn't care about frames per second]. He also says Resistance looks better than this and is wondering what all the hype is about :lol.

I see what he means though. The games look about the same graphically, but you cannot deny how buttery smooth at 60fps this game is.

I haven't seen the ps3 version but the 360 version looks a hell lot better than COD 2 or 3 o.0

reilo

DarkAngelYuna said:
I haven't seen the ps3 version but the 360 version looks a hell lot better than COD 2 or 3 o.0

He's playing the X360 version.

reilo said:
My friend is playing COD4 and is wondering why it hasn't improved its graphics since COD2 [he doesn't care about frames per second]. He also says Resistance looks better than this and is wondering what all the hype is about

Punch your friend in his nuts.

reilo

WHAT THE FUCK. This piece of shit game, I swear.

I was at rank 3, and now I am down to rank 1 again with 6XP to go.

WTF?!?!?! This is the second time it's done this.

t0va

reilo said:
He's playing the X360 version.

tell him to play CoD4 for an hour, then go back to CoD2. if he can't tell a difference...

reilo said:

ps3 version?

reilo said:

Looks like it's time to burn your disc then and not post anymore.

reilo

Stoney Mason said:
Looks like it's time to burn your disc then and not post anymore.

Ugh, this is annoying. I thought the first time it reset my rank was a fluke, but now it's done it again. And now the matchmaking is taking forever again.

reilo

oo Kosma oo said:
From rank 3 to 1? You mean from level 3 to 1? Isn't that like 50 kills only?

Yeah, it is, but I just started out. Is it going to keep resetting my level every time I stop playing?

EDIT: Trying to see if people are having this issue on official IW forums... and what do you know, there is some asshole trolling telling people to buy a X360 if they want to play this game.

reilo said:
Ugh, this is annoying. I thought the first time it reset my rank was a fluke, but now it's done it again. And now the matchmaking is taking forever again.

Some people use to mention this happening. Never happened to me though so.

The first ranks are so close together that re-leveling isn't that big a deal is the best I can offer.

reilo

Son of Godzilla said:
Only if you keep calling it ugly.

I didn't call it ugly.

Kyoufu said:
More important question is, why were you still level 3? I got level 20 in my first sitting :/

Bought Warhawk the same day :lol

Kyoufu

reilo said:
I didn't call it ugly.

Bought Warhawk the same day :lol

My question still stands :p I have warhawk but I can't stand it.

Then again, atleast that has dedicated servers. COD4 would be soooooooooooooooooooooo much better with real servers and not hosts dropping out bullshit.

reilo

Stoney Mason said:
Some people use to mention this happening. Never happened to me though so.

The first ranks are so close together that re-leveling isn't that big a deal is the best I can offer.

Yeah, but I can't even find a game right now, cause the matchmaking is broken, too. It really is a chore, and IW is on holiday so they won't be fixing this until sometime in January.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Kyoufu said:
More important question is, why were you still level 3? I got level 20 in my first sitting :/

What is the point of this post? Seriously....

Anyways, I found it harder to find a game at the beginning because more people are playing the higher game types. Not a lot of folks playing deathmatch/team deathmatch, because they suck. Once you reach Domination, things should get much better. I only play domination.

reilo

commish said:
What is the point of this post? Seriously....

Anyways, I found it harder to find a game at the beginning because more people are playing the higher game types. Not a lot of folks playing deathmatch/team deathmatch, because they suck. Once you reach Domination, things should get much better. I only play domination.

See, I can't reach that cause my level keeps resetting. And I can't get to a higher level because I can't find a damn match.

This is the problem with games not using dedicated online servers. If they used dedicated servers, you could go through a list of them and find the game you want. Feels like I am regressing here, especially since I used to play COD1 on the PC a ton few years ago.

EDIT: FINALLY A MATCH.

I think Live is down. I can barely get into a game, ended up giving up.

But yeah, is there ever an influx of new players, really helping me get those headshot challenges.

Probably a stupid question, but I'm going to have to get 150 headshots with the MP44 (along with everything else) to get golden assault rifles aren't I?

Oh and one other thing, since people are mentioning dead silence alot, this perk is very useful in FFA since any footsteps other that your own are from someone trying to kill you. Hence if you use the perk, you don't have to worry about confusing your own footsteps with someone elses.

reilo

ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?

Match begins and the goddamn host ends the game.

X26

Banned
PedroLumpy said:
I think Live is down. I can barely get into a game, ended up giving up.

But yeah, is there ever an influx of new players, really helping me get those headshot challenges.

Probably a stupid question, but I'm going to have to get 150 headshots with the MP44 (along with everything else) to get golden assault rifles aren't I?

Oh and one other thing, since people are mentioning dead silence alot, this perk is very useful in FFA since any footsteps other that your own are from someone trying to kill you. Hence if you use the perk, you don't have to worry about confusing your own footsteps with someone elses.

Only gold AR you can get is the AK-47 iirc

Pharmacy

Banned
reilo said:
ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?

Match begins and the goddamn host ends the game.

i turn my mic on specifically just to say "what the fuck man" then turn it off again when that happens

i am so fucking cool

Top Bottom