• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

Just got back from Circuit City and they refused to honor the free CoD3 game, saying the ad was a misprint. I'm really getting pissed off on spending my lunch hour for these "bait-and-switch" attempts. Looks like I'll be going for the $5 Target gift card deal.

Has anyone bought the PS3 version from Circuit City yet? I'm just looking for some kind of official confirmation that the "buy COD4 get COD3 for free" deal applies to the PS3 version as well.

MaX_PL

Banned
whatever i guess i'll try cc again at 230 before i go to class, and if that doesnt work i'll just wait for my free copy to arrive in the next few days.

traveler

Not Wario
Zack-Morris said:
Just got back from Circuit City and they refused to honor the free CoD3 game, saying the ad was a misprint. I'm really getting pissed off on spending my lunch hour for these "bait-and-switch" attempts. Looks like I'll be going for the $5 Target gift card deal.

Can people confirm this? Are they really putting out false advertising?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
traveler said:
Can people confirm this? Are they really putting out false advertising?
I stopped by there at lunch to see if it was ringing up at $29.99 and it did not. Also, they said there was nothing on the screen about a free game. Sounds like the free COD3 deal is not in the computer yet or does not exist.

Hammer

chubigans said:
They didn't. Both games on each system were developed simultaneously for the respective hardware. The lead platform was PC (which is another way of saying there wasn't one).

At that point I'm speaking in generalities, not about IW. I asked the question regarding IW in an earlier post (#1626)

With the "lead platform" as PC, code still must be optimized for the processor setup of the various consoles. Much of the fundamental code will stay the same, true, but performance is a very different beast.

Wheres Dk05 when you need him. :lol

JB1981

dark10x said:
OK, why do you say that? I went ahead and bought the PS3 version, so I'm kinda stuck with it.

What differences brought you to that conclusion?
Perhaps it has something to do with Xenos' scaling abilities, perhaps not, but I cannot deny that the 360 version looks sharper and more "high resolution" than the PS3 version does. This is true even with both consoles set to 720p. There is a clarity and pop to the 360 output that I simply don't get with the PS3 version. It's similar in some ways to how GRAW 2 fared on the PS3, except not quite that drastic. I am not very tech-savvy, but I think it might actually have something to do with level of detail. The 360 version pretty much has the same level of detail at all times, whereas, the PS3 version seems to have a soft appearance in certain areas. I know how discerning you are, Dark, and I would personally recommend that you get the 360 version. But the PS3 version is no slouch either, it's the best looking game on the platform (overall imo).

I mentioned it earlier but the PS3 version definitely sounds better, so that is a plus.

Hammer

Zack-Morris said:

How is that a misprint when they have already started honoring the deal? Better Business Bureau IMO.

Ashhong

anybody else have any updates on Circuit City? Does the PS3 version get free COD3 as well? And how do you get the glitch? Do you just buy it and pray it says 30?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
one system looks a bit softer and slightly lower rez textures as compared to the other system.

can we give it up already guys? obviously both systems are the same in this case. let's stop already with "I don't know, but to me the [PS3/360] version just seems to have sharper detail and better textures than the other one. But the other one stsill looks great."

I picked up the 360 version at Circuit City today and got my free copy of Call of Duty 3 and a free poster with it. A friend at work went with me and got the same deal. Can't speak for the PS3 version but the deal is definitely being honored on the 360 side.

belvedere

Junior Butler
So is beyond3d still sticking to the better AF/sharper distant texture stance in regards to the PS3 version?

Definitely sounds like we're re-living the Oblivion port again, but without the extra development time this go'round.

JB1981

borghe said:
it's quite humorous how we have multiple folks going into a bit of detail on why they think the 360 looks a bit softer and slightly lower rez textures on each syste, as compared to the other system.

can we give it up already guys? obviously both systems are the same in this case. let's stop already with "I don't know, but to me the [PS3/360] version just seems to have sharper detail and better textures than the other one. But the other one stsill looks great."
I was asked to explain what I found different about them. Not sure what the big deal is.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I suppose we'll see. I ended up with the PS3 version.

I find that the PS3 looks better on my TV. I use HDMI set to "Full" on the PS3 as my TV (Pioneer 5080) can actually display the full range of colors (rather than simply crushing the blacks). I also find that PS3 tends to deliver a slightly sharper look.

I've done a lot of demo comparisons between the two systems and have become used to the look and feel of each. 360 via VGA looks very nice, but I use my VGA input for my PC. Right now, 360 uses component.

Are there any differences between the assets used in the two versions (textures, models, etc)?

borghe

JB1981 said:
I was asked to explain what I found different about them. Not sure what the big deal is.
sorry. I didn't mean to go into you specifically, and I didn't mean to single out the 360. the 360 was a typo. both "sides" are doing it.

It's like looking at two different items that are blue and asking people to tell you which item is "bluer". Every one will have a different response. We really just need to drop the comparisons at this point. I know this has been a huge deal since the birth of multi-platform releases, but when it gets as close as CoD4, we just need to let it go.

JB1981

dark10x said:

I find that the PS3 looks better on my TV. I use HDMI set to "Full" on the PS3 as my TV (Pioneer 5080) can actually display the full range of colors (rather than simply crushing the blacks). I also find that PS3 tends to deliver a slightly sharper look.

I've done a lot of demo comparisons between the two systems and have become used to the look and feel of each. 360 via VGA looks very nice, but I use my VGA input for my PC. Right now, 360 uses component.

Are there any differences between the assets used in the two versions (textures, models, etc)?

I am using HDMI full range as well. There are no differences in assets, from what I could tell.

I just got back from Sunnyvale Circuit City and they didn't have either CoD4 or CoD3 in. They claimed that they will probably get copies of CoD3 in with the shipment. Is this the case or should I not bother going back to this store during my lunchbreak as there's no way I'll be getting the free game there.

borghe

dark10x said:
IW insists that all versions use the exact same assets.

wowfactor

Banned
borghe said:
one system looks a bit softer and slightly lower rez textures as compared to the other system.

Hey, this guy JB1981, I don't know if he has any agenda or not but he keeps repeating that the 360 is better almost on every page so people can see it.

dark10x

JB1981 said:
I am using HDMI full range as well. There are no differences in assets, from what I could tell.
What is your TV?

Hey, this guy JB1981, I don't know if he has any agenda or not but he keeps repeating that the 360 is better almost on every page so people can see it.
Give him a break, I asked for the info and he provided it.

I can tell he isn't trolling here as I would probably react the same way.

Marty Chinn said:
I just got back from Sunnyvale Circuit City and they didn't have either CoD4 or CoD3 in. They claimed that they will probably get copies of CoD3 in with the shipment. Is this the case or should I not bother going back to this store during my lunchbreak as there's no way I'll be getting the free game there.

I'm wondering the same. I spend my lunch hour at work trying to get copies, but I'm wondering if there will be any more at other CCs after work. BTW, the CC I went to is notorious for being retarded and not honoring their ads (Store 3111, Schaumburg, IL).

JB1981

wowfactor said:
why didn't you just quote my tag? :lol

i'm disappointed

Blablurn

Today; I went to my local electronic shop. When I arrived at the game corner I already saw the boxes for the 360 anc PC version. I was like "Yeah" because I expected also the PS3 Version to be there, but I was wrong. The PS3 version of Call of Duty 4 is coming on the day after tomorrow. SHIT >.<

Tomorrow I'm going to Coogne. Maybe I'll find a version over there.

MCD

wowfactor said:

Agenda? isn't he a Sony fan?

whatever though, he is only answering a question.

Ashhong

borghe said:
sorry. I didn't mean to go into you specifically, and I didn't mean to single out the 360. the 360 was a typo. both "sides" are doing it.

It's like looking at two different items that are blue and asking people to tell you which item is "bluer". Every one will have a different response. We really just need to drop the comparisons at this point. I know this has been a huge deal since the birth of multi-platform releases, but when it gets as close as CoD4, we just need to let it go.

Seriously, I agree that it needs to stop. However, it won't. EVER. And everyone's complaining and insisting that it does is just as annoying IMO. It's Neogaf, it seriously will never stop. Just give it up.

While ya'll are bitching about which version has better textures, I'm enjoying the shit out of this game. Normally I would go through the single player campaign before hopping online, however the addictive nature of leveling up, and just the overall awesomeness of online is what I've been focusing on.

Mojovonio

Banned
belvedere said:
So is beyond3d still sticking to the better AF/sharper distant texture stance in regards to the PS3 version?

Definitely sounds like we're re-living the Oblivion port again, but without the extra development time this go'round.

Honestly, B3D is not the best source for that information.

dark10x said:

Dude, why don't you move the 360 back to the VGA and get a cheapo HMDI > DVI for your PC?

GrayFoxPL

oo Kosma oo said:
Well importing from the US/Canada would still cost around 50 euro, that's only 10 euro difference with the EU price.

It's all about exchange rate, man.

I'm in Poland:
COD4 price -

US: 63 USD = 158PLN

Europe 60 EUR = 87USD = 218 PLN

Domestic Price 235 PLN = 64 EUR = 93 USD

After adding shipping cost from other eu country the eu and domestic price would be close.

To be fair, right now I don't know the shipping cost from us at moviestyme.com but afaik it's not a whole lot. Many gaffers use the site. It's not that pricey to import anymore :lol.

belvedere said:

Um, you made the claim you saw it yourself a few pages back. Something doesn't add up.

belvedere said:
After seeing them both side-by-side at EB, they looked pretty damn close. There may have been magic worked into the AF on the PS3 version similar to what Bethesda did with Oblivion, as it seemed like the textures were sharper at a distance on the PS3 version.

dark10x

Shogmaster said:
Dude, why don't you move the 360 back to the VGA and get a cheapo HMDI > DVI for your PC?
Here's the deal...

The PC I use DOES work with HDMI (and my HDMI ports support PC mode), but whenever I switch to another input or power off the TV, the PC switches back to its own LCD (it's a laptop). I've fiddled with it a bit, but never had any luck. Perhaps I'll mess around with it some more soon, but I'm not sure if there is a solution. I have another PC which does work properly with HDMI, but it is also 5x as loud and much to large to hide in the living room. The current PC I use is always powered on and works great whenever I need it.

I really should look at the problem again, though, as I do have 4 HDMI inputs. :\

dark10x said:
Here's the deal...

The PC I use DOES work with HDMI (and my HDMI ports support PC mode), but whenever I switch to another input or power off the TV, the PC switches back to its own LCD (it's a laptop). I've fiddled with it a bit, but never had any luck. Perhaps I'll mess around with it some more soon, but I'm not sure if there is a solution. I have another PC which does work properly with HDMI, but it is also 5x as loud and much to large to hide in the living room. The current PC I use is always powered on and works great whenever I need it.

I really should look at the problem again, though, as I do have 4 HDMI inputs. :\
Yeesh what a mess... Good luck with all that.

Mojovonio

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
So the biggest difference noted so far is something like color contrast sharpness output?

Dude, this has gone beyond nipple hair detail at this point.

But its funny because most if not all PS3 ports are like that.

People are really stretching here.

Top Bottom