• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 4: Exploding Car Clone Wars Official Thread

SaitoH

Calen said:
In a post that got copied into the OP, I mentioned that you would be able to find shots that "prove" that both versions are superior. It's also not true that the 360 has better framerate or image quality across the board. I'm really not sure where people are getting that one from - we spent an unbelievable amount of time and effort making sure that both versions were up to the same level of quality. You can't tell any difference between them in the side to side videos.

The platforms are seriously different, guys. You can't take the same chunk of code and just run it on both and have it behave the same. I'm really not sure at all why people WANT our game to be crap on the PS3.

Worth quoting.

Masta_Killah said:
I just finished playing that
gunship level last nite. Thought it was pretty cool but it was kinda weird going from insane gun fights to this lull. Im guessing it was intentional by the devs to give gamers a break? If so, then the effort wasn't that bad, but it could have used way more enemies, especially tanks or other vehicles.
It was fun, but it felt a bit out of place.
d00d spoiler tag that shit yo

Majik said:
Nah, it's not the whole forum, it's just a small group of people banding together and being childish.

You know when you go on Xbox Live and you can hear what sounds like a 12 year old boy making stupid noises, talking shit, screaming insults and gereally being a pain in the ass? Well that's what this thread has turned into.
What's worse is that most of the people being childish are probably twice that age.

The Lamonster said:
d00d spoiler tag that shit yo

Wasn't really worth spoilering imo. People have talked about it unspoiled already and I didn't talk about the story and dialogue that was going on, which is what makes it a great bit. But I'll edit it for ya ;)

Borys said:
Resizing.

Look at the hands' width, it is different in both pics.

The right on pic (PS3) has been RESIZED horizontally.

EDIT: that's my guess
You have good eyes xD But that wouldn't make it sharper like that. As dark10x said it's most likely due to the fact that 360 is connected through VGA.

plagiarize said:
as others have said (in criticism of the comparison actually) the PS3 shots appear to have undergone sharpening, when the 360 shots appear to be soft. of course that could be a combination of TV settings on inputs not being the same and so on, or indeed, that the PS3 version is 'sharper' despite running at the exact same resolution.
I know :p That's exactly why it isn't Photoshop fault.

kitch9

Banned
Calen said:
In a post that got copied into the OP, I mentioned that you would be able to find shots that "prove" that both versions are superior. It's also not true that the 360 has better framerate or image quality across the board. I'm really not sure where people are getting that one from - we spent an unbelievable amount of time and effort making sure that both versions were up to the same level of quality. You can't tell any difference between them in the side to side videos.

The platforms are seriously different, guys. You can't take the same chunk of code and just run it on both and have it behave the same. I'm really not sure at all why people WANT our game to be crap on the PS3.

its not. I've just got it today and it is absolutely friggen incredible. I've had two of my mates ring me today just to tell me how awesome it is.

The multi is digital crack.

Don't listen to some of these guys, they are loons. I've played both versions and they are both great.

If I nitpick I'd say the PS3 had more AF giving the textures a better look at a distance, but if I stood facing a wall, the 360 may have a slight edge IN SOME AREAS.

Some need to get over it here and just enjoy this masterpiece.

FirewalkR

AltogetherAndrews said:
A better question is, how many SAS missions do I have to look forward to? Lots, I hope, because that's why I bought the game in the first place.

Good man.

Can't wait for the SAS awesomeness, when the game is actually released in Portugal, next week maybe, i guess.

JB1981

dark10x said:
YES, exactly. Thank you.

The reason I selected the PS3 version is simple: I was told they were the same and the PS3 hardware is much more reliable (I'd rather build a collection around a reliable console). The differences are much greater than I had thought. I've noticed all of the flaws while playing but did not realize that the 360 version does not suffer from them. Now that I see the truth, I'm disappointed that my experience is not what it could be.

I'd like to say I told you so but I am full of rich, creamy, you know what, right?

Anyway, I may not be the most technically-savvy guy on the board but I have eyes like a hawk, and If I say one game looks better than another for whatever reason, you should probably take note.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
holy crap, M16 + silencer + bandolier + double tap = BEAST

try it out and see what it feels like to be satan for a day :lol

Dartastic

MercuryLS said:
I wish I could call an aitstrike on this thread. You guys are the biggest piles of shit on the Internet, congrats.

I'd rather have a Heli, cause then I'd have a 7 kill streak and I'd have already called the airstrike in.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JB1981 said:
I'd like to say I told you so but I am full of rich, creamy, you know what, right?

Anyway, I may not be the most technically-savvy guy on the board but I have eyes like a hawk, and If I say one game looks better than another for whatever reason, you should probably take note.
That's the thing, by the time I saw your posts, I had already purchased the PS3 version.

Kosma

Banned
Cerrius said:
more ammo :D

I'm unsure...could you get UAV Jammer instead of bandolier (only level 16 myself so still don't know which perks are in which tree)?

Then you could never be seen on radar with the silencer....stealth death!

Dast

oo Kosma oo said:
I'm unsure...could you get UAV Jammer instead of bandolier (only level 16 myself so still don't know which perks are in which tree)?

Bandolier goes in the first perk slot and UAV jammer in the second so you can have both.

strikeselect

oo Kosma oo said:

nah, UAV Jammer is in the 2nd perk slot so you could use both but yeah I have a stealth class stored for any situations I might need it. :D

M16 + silencer + bandolier + uav jammer = they never know what hit them :lol

dark10x

Calen said:

I do not believe that the PS3 port is of poor quality. It certainly is a step above most other efforts. I am, however, disappointed that texture quality was never mentioned. The PS3 version literally seems to use half resolution textures across the board. Regardless of framerate or image quality talk, that right there is a significant difference and was NEVER touched upon by anyone. I immediately noticed the poor quality textures but expected it was the same across both machines. Now that I see that isn't the case, I'm even more disappointed.

MaX_PL

Banned
ok just got my free copy.

the visuals in basic training are awful. the beta looked much better. maybe its just basic training.

strikeselect

Hunter D said:
Don't have the game yet, but I will have it by the end of the month. Can you explain why more ammo makes the gun better?

double tap increases rate of fire, which means ammo gets used up faster. To combat this, I add bandolier which gives me more ammo to continue on my killing adventures.

RavenFox

Banned
Masta_Killah said:
I just finished playing that
gunship level last nite. Thought it was pretty cool but it was kinda weird going from insane gun fights to this lull. Im guessing it was intentional by the devs to give gamers a break? If so, then the effort wasn't that bad, but it could have used way more enemies, especially tanks or other vehicles. It was fun, but it felt a bit out of place.
If you ever seen footage of this in reality this is very similar to how its played out.

Hunter D

Cerrius said:
double tap increases rate of fire, which means ammo gets used up faster. To combat this, I add bandolier which gives me more ammo to continue on my killing adventures.
Thanks, I haven't played this game since the beta so its good to learn about the new set ups.

How is the mini Uzi in the final game? In the beta you got speed advantage when using it because it was so light and was spray and pray multi heat shot greatness in the beta.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Calen said:
It's also not true that the 360 has better framerate or image quality across the board. I'm really not sure where people are getting that one from - we spent an unbelievable amount of time and effort making sure that both versions were up to the same level of quality. You can't tell any difference between them in the side to side videos.

Well, what can I say? The framerate and the image quality of the 360 version IS better across the board. Plus, it has higher res textures and shadows. Saying this is not true is plain and simple a lie. I dunno how much time you spent to make sure that both version were up to the same quality but either you failed, you developed the PS3 version on SD displays or we have different opinions about what "same quality" means.

Calen

TTP said:
Saying this is not true is plain and simple a lie.
Ok, so I'm a liar now? Nice.

The shadow resolution is identical on both consoles. This is a fact. Like I said in my example waaaay back when, they're filtered differently and IMO the PS3's version looks better in more situations.

If everything's as bad as you say, why aren't there horrible obvious differences in all the HD comparison videos that people have been doing? You don't really think we should have spent more time making the game look perfect when you're standing still staring at the ground...right?

Edited to add, this is the last time I'm going to comment on this sort of thing - I know there's no chance I'm going to change anyone's mind.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Calen said:
Ok, so I'm a liar now? Nice.

The shadow resolution is identical on both consoles. This is a fact. Like I said in my example waaaay back when, they're filtered differently and IMO the PS3's version looks better in more situations.

If everything's as bad as you say, why aren't there horrible obvious differences in all the HD comparison videos that people have been doing? You don't really think we should have spent more time making the game look perfect when you're standing still staring at the ground...right?

Now get onto Live/PSN/PC and play in some of our parties so we can improve our win ratios.

OverHeat

« generous god »
The game look great. Except for those low rez bitmap background ( like in the training level and a lot of SAS level) remind me of Quake 3.

dark10x

Actually, look at the shadows below each gun and you can CLEARLY see that the resolution is different between them.

86srk3n.jpg

OverHeat

« generous god »
He said IMO the PS3's version looks better in more situations not in all situation like the exemple above,

f@luS

More than a member.
TTP said:
Well, what can I say? The framerate and the image quality of the 360 version IS better across the board. Plus, it has higher res textures and shadows. Saying this is not true is plain and simple a lie. I dunno how much time you spent to make sure that both version were up to the same quality but either you failed, you developed the PS3 version on SD displays or we have different opinions about what "same quality" means.
Wow, talking about a IW guy saying "liar"? I have both COD4 , and it looks the same seriously, and both are having some little framerate issues...

The pic I posted was about the shadows, not the gun or environment. But I wasn't being serious anyway, hence :eek:

edit: dark10 busted on me before, then reiterates my "point" :lol

dejan

I'm interested in this game (pc version) so I was skimming through the last pages of this thread and ... I'm really looking forward to the next multiplatform game thread on NeoGAF.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
dejan said:
I'm interested in this game (pc version) so I was skimming through the last pages of this thread and ... I'm really looking forward to the next multiplatform game thread on NeoGAF.

Tune in to when Assassin's Creed is out on both consoles. We will go thru the same thing presumably.

PhatSaqs

Banned
dejan said:
:lol

I wonder why we didnt have many threads like this last gen.

Calen

dark10x said:
Actually, look at the shadows below each gun and you can CLEARLY see that the resolution is different between them.
Except that it isn't different resolutions. The PS3 filtering makes larger, smoother steps with more individual shades in them. If the 360 shot was clearer, you could see that the filtering makes more steps but they're not blended, such that you can see individual blocks of changing color as opposed to a smooth gradient.

The PS3 shadows look softer, in motion, which I personally prefer. The maps themselves are the same size, memory cost, etc. etc.

PhatSaqs said:
:lol

I wonder why we didnt have many threads like this last gen.

Because no one felt the need to rabidly prove that their console nerfed another.

XBox had a clear superiority in capability, and a clear inferiority in sales. There was no reason for people to try to convince others that XBox was more powerful than PS2 (and if they did, it wouldn't get blown back in their face), and there was no reason to argue the finer points of how XBox's superiority would affect the generation (which had already been decided).

dark10x said:

86srk3n.jpg
Dude... He made the game... Can you go outside and get some fresh air or something?

MCD

Are we really arguing with Calen? an IW employee about his game?

why would anyone wanna get owned this hard? lol.

Burger

What a hive of scum and villainy.

Calling out a developer who made such an incredible game, get a fucking grip.

Wollan

Best multiplayer experience I've had this year (which at this date should make it multiplayer goty, even in the face of a excellent (but tired) UT). It feels SO right.

Top Bottom