• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can I import Donkey Konga discs from Japan and Europe and use them in GCN US?

Alcibiades

I know I would have to buy a freeloader, but is that all?

I don't want to open or buy a imported GCN, so would it be that simple?

I don't think the song list for Donkey Konga is as large or as diverse as I'd like (although it's still SUPER AWESOME), it's not the 65+ that DDR gives. And basically, I'd like to have as much options as possible, plus I usually I'm very open to Japanese and European hits/pop....

kiryogi

Banned
That should be about it, if the games are compatible with freeloader anyway. Don't forget you have to have a seperate memory card for other regions. I'll be doing the same thing myself, cept my cube is already modded.

Should work. The controllers are region free - so as long as Freeloader 1.06 upwards boots the discs, its all good! And Freeloader should do the trick unless they've gone out of their way to make it not work.. if you get any questions about it boot the PAL disc in 60hz.

BuddyC

Freeloader and Konga have issues, you can't save to the memory card in Konga if you use Freeloader...much like with Mr. Driller Land or whatever Mr. Driller GC was called.

This means that buying 'hard' versions of songs and mini-games is near impossible, and you lose it all when you power off.

That's actually why I ended up modding my GC, but I don't know how you'd handle the PAL->NTSC without Freeloader.

Laurent

kiryogi said:
That should be about it, if the games are compatible with freeloader anyway. Don't forget you have to have a seperate memory card for other regions. I'll be doing the same thing myself, cept my cube is already modded.
Wrong... I have used my Freeloader with a Japanese copy of Soul Calibur II on the same memory card than the rest of my American games...

kiryogi

Banned
Laurent said:
Wrong... I have used my Freeloader with a Japanese copy of Soul Calibur II on the same memory card than the rest of my American games...

Ho ho, not wrong. My example was related to having a modded cube/or actual JPN cube. Also as Buddy said, freeloader is no good. In any case, I don't really endorse freeloader when it comes to GC. Go mod or get the actual JPN cube, or forget about it (Freeloader overtime will keep having issues and demanding an upgrade, while modding will be permanent and problem free. However you do void your warranty :Shrug:)

Soo here's the deal: modding is only around 35-40 depending where or you could do it yourself for much less. It's also the easiest console to mod of the 3 currently out.

edit: on note. i think mod only works for 2 regions, hehe.

BuddyC

Yea, the GameCube is incredibly easy to mod. I don't have a lot of import games, but I've heard that some will save on your card regardless of its formatting, though I was led to believe this is a small number of titles.

Top Bottom