• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can I reinstall/reformat Windows while still keeping the date on my harddrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Here's the deal.. My windows has been really messed up lately because of viruses and stuff. I want to reinstal Windows XP but I have folder with 20GB of music that I dont really feel like backing up. is there any way I can keep this folder and not have it be deleted when I refort or reinstall windows?

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
So all my files and folders will still be there?

I hope whatever virus or trojan that fucked up my computer won't still be there...

maharg

idspispopd
If you have a virus, a fresh install without a complete hard drive wipe may not really fix anything. To be sure, you should, in that case, at the very least, delete your current windows and program files directories, and any other .exes you may have.

impirius

If you want to attempt to salvage your current setup, download vcleaner and Stinger and run them in safe mode. That should help get some of the nastier stuff off of your system.

Starting over with a clean slate is always good, though. If you're fairly sure you've gotten rid of the viruses on the system (since you don't want anything carrying over to your new install), create a new partition as shuri said or get a new hard drive and move your media files over there. That way, next time you want to format, you can just wipe off the Windows partition and leave your media files intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom