• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada Post Mail Strike - Talks Ongoing

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/06/27/canada-post-takes-hard-line-on-job-action.html said:
Canada Post is warning unionized workers that any type of job action including rotating strikes this weekend will mean the shut down of the post office.

“In the event of a labour disruption, Canada Post will not operate,” the crown corporation said Monday. “Mail and parcels will not be delivered, and no new items will be accepted."

“Any mail and parcels within the postal system during a work disruption will be secured and delivered as quickly as possible once operations resume,” the release says.

It also listed looming deadlines to ensure express mail or priority parcels are delivered by Thursday, because Friday is the Canada Day holiday.

If you wanna buy things online or send stuff double check if they have courier options or hold off if you know it won't arrive by this Thursday June 30th.
I know I had a few things stuck in the system last time they struck
charm_rage.gif

Also Happy Canada Day
evoCanada.png
!

darscot

I'm sorry but this is one of the slackest jobs, I just don't care if the whole thing closed up shop and courier's take over the entire business. So many of these guys get paid an 8 hour day and work half that. The only time they have to actually work the hours they get paid is around the holidays.

Did you eventually get your packages?

I have something coming in from Belgium it was shipped two weeks ago so I'm nervous as hell that it won't get here before the strike.

I'm sorry but this is one of the slackest jobs, I just don't care if the whole thing closed up shop and courier's take over the entire business. So many of these guys get paid an 8 hour day and work half that. The only time they have to actually work the hours they get paid is around the holidays.

Seriously? Maybe letter carriers but anyone working those super boxes is getting paid shit, working out of their own van, and has to work overtime constantly for no extra pay.

Essay

Keep in mind too that post-office boxes effectively no longer exist until this is resolved.

Have some time-sensitive school application or government documents to send in, but just a PO box number for the address info? Call the receiver and see if they have a courier address you can send to instead, because that's all Fedex/Purolator/UPS/DHL will deal with.

shira

Keep in mind too that post-office boxes effectively no longer exist until this is resolved.

Have some time-sensitive school application or government documents to send in, but just a PO box number for the address info? Call the receiver and see if they have a courier address you can send to instead, because that's all Fedex/Purolator/UPS/DHL will deal with.

Greyhound bus also provides a cheap courier service for larger packages that aren't urgent.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Not sure how this is even legal. They're essentially holding people's mail as hostage to use as pressure during negotiations.

You believe a Canada Post union employee works OT for free? LOL

Sure, they just don't call it "overtime."

Required to sort all your mail & packages yourself. They say it takes 2 hour, it actually takes 4.

Required to do your route. They say it takes 4 hours, it actually takes 6.

Supposed to get an hour for lunch, bathroom breaks. You don't get either.

Canada Post marks down an 8 hour day, but you got in before 8am and didn't get home until after 8pm.

darscot

Sure, they just don't call it "overtime."

Required to sort all your mail & packages yourself. They say it takes 2 hour, it actually takes 4.

Required to do your route. They say it takes 4 hours, it actually takes 6.

Supposed to get an hour for lunch, bathroom breaks. You don't get either.

Canada Post marks down an 8 hour day, but you got in before 8am and didn't get home until after 8pm.

Except it goes the other way 11 months of the year. They get 8 hours and it takes 3. Save your propagandy they are not working 12 hours days and not being compensated. Are you a union rep?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is terrible if you order packages from a retailer and aren't at home between the convenient hours of 8am to 8pm waiting for your courier.

Except it goes the other way 11 months of the year. They get 8 hours and it takes 3. Save your propagandy they are not working 12 hours days and not being compensated. Are you a union rep?

Breh I work in tech.

This is a reality for the people actually working there. And CP wants to convert the rules for regular letter carriers over to the superbox rules. That's why there's going to be a strike.

Sorry your videogames didn't get delivered fast enough, but it's really not a good situation for the people working there.

darscot

Breh I work in tech.

This is a reality for the people actually working there. And CP wants to convert the rules for regular letter carriers over to the superbox rules. That's why there's going to be a strike.

Sorry your videogames didn't get delivered fast enough, but it's really not a good situation for the people working there.

Like I said I could care less, the service they provide is shit and I courier everything anyway. I know several posties and they have had it so good for so long its laughable. If it catches up to them and they have to get a real job and work an honest day so be it.

Isocr4cy

FYI, someone in my family is a manager at Canada Post and told me that most online retailers that use Canada Post to ship things (Amazon, Best Buy) have been notified to use Purolator for the time being, so online ordering should still be fine, although a little more annoying.

LOZLINK

Like I said I could care less, the service they provide is shit and I courier everything anyway. I know several posties and they have had it so good for so long its laughable. If it catches up to them and they have to get a real job and work an honest day so be it.
You sound Australian, not Canadian. Could be completely different you know

I have four parcels coming via the US in the next few weeks (too late to cancel or change shipping). I also have a new drivers license and passport on the way. So....... please don't strike!
That said if this results in lower shipping prices in Canada, I'll take a week of Canada Post lockout

darscot

You sound Australian, not Canadian. Could be completely different you know

The guy I know has been banging a chick on his route for fucking years and talks shit to me everytime I see him, how in his 8 hour day he gets laid and gets a round of golf in. Sorry if I'm not super concerned about him going on strike or being locked out.

Clinton514

They might as well be right now. I haven't gotten any damned mail for about a week and a half now. Waiting on a client;s cheque.

shira

FYI, someone in my family is a manager at Canada Post and told me that most online retailers that use Canada Post to ship things (Amazon, Best Buy) have been notified to use Purolator for the time being, so online ordering should still be fine, although a little more annoying.
Yeah but for smaller retailers, personal shipments, or international mail those are usually too expensive

kswiston

The guy I know has been banging a chick on his route for fucking years and talks shit to me everytime I see him, how in his 8 hour day he gets laid and gets a round of golf in. Sorry if I'm not super concerned about him going on strike or being locked out.

Even if this is true for some specific Canadian Post routes, you act like every job should be back breaking labour for 8-12 hours a day, or else offer minimum wage. I have worked a lot of different jobs over the years, and other than assembly line stuff, most jobs either have slow periods/downtime, or offer the ability to stretch 4 hours of work into 8 unless you hit a crunch time. Hell, even a lot of the "I work hard all day" types are taking 30 minute dumps, texting, or chatting to a coworker for 20 minutes if/when they can get away with it. Half of working GAF is posting here from work.

I don't know why people are dead set on seeing others punished because their job doesn't require them to be worked to death.

darscot

Even if this is true for some specific Canadian Post routes, you act like every job should be back breaking labour for 8-12 hours a day, or else offer minimum wage. I have worked a lot of different jobs over the years, and other than assembly line stuff, most jobs either have slow periods/downtime, or offer the ability to stretch 4 hours of work into 8 unless you hit a crunch time. Hell, even a lot of the "I work hard all day" types are taking 30 minute dumps, texting, or chatting to a coworker for 20 minutes if/when they can get away with it. Half of working GAF is posting here from work.

I don't know why people are dead set on seeing others punished because their job doesn't require them to be worked to death.

I'm not saying anyone should be punished. They get locked out or go on strike so be it, I personally dont give a shit. Who said anything about being worked to death, this is fucking Canada not child labour in China.

Ah that's why my copy of Tokyo Mirage was delivered by Purolator this morning.

#imfinewithit

I have four parcels coming via the US in the next few weeks (too late to cancel or change shipping). I also have a new drivers license and passport on the way. So....... please don't strike!
That said if this results in lower shipping prices in Canada, I'll take a week of Canada Post lockout

This will likely be all summer if not longer.

I have to mail a rebate form, if I drop it in a mailbox will it be postmarked or do I have to go to the post office for that?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Guess what, Canada Post owns Purolator. So yeah. lol

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm glad the bullshit Harper pulled 5 years ago with CP locking out the workers then the Government legislating them back to work with an imposed deal was deemed unconstitutional earlier this year. Fuck them for stomping on worker's rights.

I want to return Mighty No 9 (I forgot to cancel it D:) and the return label is CP. What do I doooooo I can't be sure it'll get back to Amazon in time to be processed

JSR_Cube

I have been working with Canada Post for my job for the past five years.

The routes (and required deliveries on each route) have gone up significantly. I can see why the union (and the workers) are pissed. I'm not saying it's right but I can see how they perceive that they are worse off (basically because they are).

The Canadian postal service hasn't deviled mail directly to my door in over a year. Now we have designated postal boxes at the end of every street that people here have to travel to. They did this just to make things easier on postal service employees. Now they want to go on strike? The faster that they all get replaced by drones the better.

Prax

I really like Canada Post because they are the only ones who either deliver my packages correctly (without ditching as if "whoops you didn't provide the entry code/you weren't there"--LOOKING AT YOU UPS, FEDEX, AND OTHERS!!!! The bizzer/entry code was RIGHT ON THE ADDRESS SLIP!!!), or will conveniently drop it off at the nearest drug store post office instead of some out-of-the-way warehouse.

Hope this gets resolved quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom