• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Boxing Day haul? Nothing. Won't be paid until Friday, so I'll have to wait and catch any remaining deals then.

Canada Computers had an Acer 23" monitor on sale for $108 on Monday, but I had work, and at that point, they probably ran out.

Speaking of monitors, does anyone know of a place that has a good size monitor (22-23") on sale for a good price?
I usually don't like tigerdirect.ca but they always have cheap prices for monitors.

RS4-

My Boxing Day haul? Nothing. Won't be paid until Friday, so I'll have to wait and catch any remaining deals then.

Canada Computers had an Acer 23" monitor on sale for $108 on Monday, but I had work, and at that point, they probably ran out.

Speaking of monitors, does anyone know of a place that has a good size monitor (22-23") on sale for a good price?

What's a good price for you? Generally speaking you can grab a sub 24" for under $200. I'm not sure how good Acer is these days, especially with monitors.

MPW

had to wait 30+ minutes in line to get saints row 3 on boxing day at eb

i got the 3rd last copy at 10:30 am

Cheerilee

I checked out Sears last night, but could only find a T10 driver. Had to pick up a few groceries on the way home and stopped at Superstore... they had a (17-pc?) kit of screwdrivers and pliers that included all sorts of torx screwdrivers, including the two needed for the job.

The Philips and flatheads appeared to be magnetized, but not the torx. Weird.

Anyhow, it was $14, which I thought was pretty reasonable.

Just figured I'd mention that a few decades ago, my father used to swear by Sears Craftsman's line of hand tools. They were inexpensive and fairly high quality, and Sears stood behind that quality with an unconditional lifetime guarantee. Almost everyone we knew used Craftsman.

But some time back in the 80's or 90's they started cheaping out on their construction, and the quality went down the toilet. Their tools would break all the time, and they were getting so many returns that Sears started refusing to honor their warranty. Nowadays the only "guarantee" with Craftsman is that they will break. Most likely while you're using them, which will set back your project and possibly injure you. I don't know anyone who likes them anymore. They're not quality. The warranty is a lie. They're just cheap tools.

If you happen to have some older Craftsman tools lying around, those are decent tools that were built to last, but when they eventually die, know that the warranty is worthless and they'll maybe get replaced with a piece of shit if you're lucky. When they refuse to give you a replacement, I know I won't have to tell you to find another brand.

If you're just a hobby-level tool guy like I expect most Gaffers are, then I don't think you can go too wrong with cheap tools. But if you want better-than-cheap tools, don't go to Sears. I would suggest Home Depot as a decent upgrade. Their cheap tools also have useless warranties, but they seem to have much better quality so it doesn't matter as much.

Edit: Just to note, by "you" I was referring to anyone reading this, not SickBoy in particular.

Willectro

Banned
Anyone know of any stores in the GTA/Durham Region that have Saints Row: The Third for 360?

I'm really apprehensive to order it from Future Shop because I don't want the game six months from now.

Chatin

Picked up some stuff at Futureshop, including the store-exclusive Assassin's Creed multipack (AC, AC2, AC:B). Are all the FS multipacks this ghetto?? Someone literally took an exactoknife to the UPC codes on the back of each game, to the point where the games are still in their original wrapping, minus the bit that was cut out when the UPC codes were unevenly cut out, cutting through the game case plastic, as well. I've hated on EB Games and the like gutting cases are having to deal with their crap, but this case mutilation takes things to a whole new level.

beat

Are there any deals to be had for Nyko's Bluewave (alt spelling Blu-Wave) or any other IR USB adapter? I just got a PS3 and now I'd like to be able to watch blu-ray movies with my regular non-bluetooth Harmony remote. As far as I can tell it's $10 in the US and $15 to $20 in Canada.

Cheerilee

I liked your post. It was like reading a good story mixed with a good review.

So what brand are good tools nowadays? Or has every company gone capitalist with "break more, buy more" mentality?

I think that Fuller (available at Home Depot) makes a pretty good basic tool.

If you want a great tool, I think that you basically need a rather expensive brand. The professionals I've had contact with can never seem to agree which one is the best, but seeing as how they always argue that the one they currently have in hand is the greatest, I can only conclude that they're all pretty good once you get up there. Snap-On is the high-end name I've probably heard most often, but it's usually in a "Snap-On? That's what casuals use. You need [insert something obscure]" sense.

Picked up some stuff at Futureshop, including the store-exclusive Assassin's Creed multipack (AC, AC2, AC:B). Are all the FS multipacks this ghetto?? Someone literally took an exactoknife to the UPC codes on the back of each game, to the point where the games are still in their original wrapping, minus the bit that was cut out when the UPC codes were unevenly cut out, cutting through the game case plastic, as well. I've hated on EB Games and the like gutting cases are having to deal with their crap, but this case mutilation takes things to a whole new level.
Oh man, that sounds horrible. I did not know they cut the UPC... makes me regret getting them. Argh. Good thing I already have the original covers for the first 2 games, and am going to stick them all in the Assassin's Creed Collection Steelbook anyway.

C-Jo

I'm really apprehensive to order it from Future Shop because I don't want the game six months from now.
I've already received everything I've ordered from them on boxing day. Future Shop isn't very good with pre-orders these days, but everything else I've ordered shows up within a week, max.

While battling the ungodly weather here in Montreal yesterday, I got Flingsmash for $22 at Staples, and got Rango and Megamind on DVD for $5 each at FS.

Flingsmash was $30, but I tried to price match the Sears 50% off deal, but they said they can only go down as low as 25% off, so without even showing proof, they did it. XD

The first person I asked said they don't even do so with boxing week deals. Pays to keep trying different employees. XD

I just paid $10 for mine at the EB Doc mentioned.

Grabbed like 11 games this morning. Too bad UC3 wasn't one of them :( anyway, thanks again DoctorWho!

as for the 360 HDD enclosure screwdriver set, I picked mine up at Home Depot for under $10 I believe.

Lol. I didn't end up going myself. Glad someone reaped the rewards. Was it packed?

Ended up finding Killzone 3 at Wal-Mart for $20.

Vamphuntr

Futureshop.ca seems to ship orders slowly for me :( They've charged my card 2 days ago and my package has yet to ship. Guess they are swamped with orders because of the post Christmas sale.

My delivery estimate was pushed back quite far too.

Zzoram

Where do I get a quality Cantonese or Hong Kong style Mahjong tile set? It seems like every store selling mahjong sets are selling the American version with small crappy tiles that need a rack to stand, and they have English numbering and lettering on the tiles beside the Chinese.

Where do I get a quality Cantonese or Hong Kong style Mahjong tile set? It seems like every store selling mahjong sets are selling the American version with small crappy tiles that need a rack to stand, and they have English numbering and lettering on the tiles beside the Chinese.
I'd tell you places like PMall. Where are you?

WEGGLES

Is something going on with Bell internet?

I have 5mb internet and look at this fucking shit

1676306410.png

1676309263.png

1676314376.png

What the fuck is this?

bs000

Futureshop.ca seems to ship orders slowly for me :( They've charged my card 2 days ago and my package has yet to ship. Guess they are swamped with orders because of the post Christmas sale.

My delivery estimate was pushed back quite far too.

My orders from the 24th haven't moved yet and the cards been charged, but I made another order on the 27th and that's already shipped =/

frickin EB...

I take an hour out of my day to go down to EB after reading about the El Shaddai sale and calling to see if they have it in.

I get to the store, they do not have a new copy... they have a "recycled" copy.

NEW game on sale: 20$
"recycled" game in stock: 45$

And the guy wont sell it to me for 20.

I don't like EB's business model to begin with, but that's the last straw. I'm never going to that chain again.

Luigi87

That reminds me, when did this "Recycled" replacing Used nonsense begin? It seems so far localized to only Canadian EBs/GameStops.

krae_man

That reminds me, when did this "Recycled" replacing Used nonsense begin? It seems so far localized to only Canadian EBs/GameStops.

I saw that boxing day shopping. Some games were labeled used and others labeled recycled. I was wondering what the difference was. Guess it's just some stupid name change from a focus group or something.

Varshes

frickin EB...

I take an hour out of my day to go down to EB after reading about the El Shaddai sale and calling to see if they have it in.

I get to the store, they do not have a new copy... they have a "recycled" copy.

NEW game on sale: 20$
"recycled" game in stock: 45$

And the guy wont sell it to me for 20.

I don't like EB's business model to begin with, but that's the last straw. I'm never going to that chain again.

The used or "recycled" versions of the games that are on sale are supposed to be taken off the floor as to avoid this kind of situation, basically they aren't supposed to be sold while there is a sale on the new version...they shouldn't have had it "in stock" until after the sale was over.

Why would they sell their used copy for less than the sticker price? It's not about used vs. new, it's about margin.

Their business model of encouraging used sales (featuring ridiculous markups) is valid, if reprehensible. Never shop there.

Sometime around november. Some places are slowly going through it, so you'll still see a mix of both used and recycled stickers, along with a mix of random colour labels.

What really drove me up the wall (besides the new policy of mixing new + used/recycle games) is the new mandate of game sorting via "the four types".

Action
Sports
Role Playing
Family

I mean, what the fuck man.

The chain themselves have no standard policy on how this is sorted either, so it's up to whoever runs the store to sort them.

As you can imagine, this creates interesting situations: I've seen Def Jam Rapstar put in Role Playing games, and I've seen places where all racing games were sprinkled randomly between action and sports.

soultron

Banned
I know it's late to ask this now (esp. since Boxing Week is coming to a close) but what's the best deal on a 3DS right now?

I picked up 3D Land and SF64 and really want to crack them open. c:

Eternia

Sometime around november. Some places are slowly going through it, so you'll still see a mix of both used and recycled stickers, along with a mix of random colour labels.

What really drove me up the wall (besides the new policy of mixing new + used/recycle games) is the new mandate of game sorting via "the four types".

Action
Sports
Role Playing
Family

I mean, what the fuck man.

The chain themselves have no standard policy on how this is sorted either, so it's up to whoever runs the store to sort them.

As you can imagine, this creates interesting situations: I've seen Def Jam Rapstar put in Role Playing games, and I've seen places where all racing games were sprinkled randomly between action and sports.
I was wondering why the role playing section looked ridiculous when I walked by EB yesterday. What a mess. I know labels can sometimes go overboard but whoever thought this was actually a good idea should be shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom