• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone seen any guitar hero warriors of rock bundles for 360 or ps3 anywhere in their travels?
Got an old itch I want to scratch, and I can't seem to find the full band bundles anymore. I'm assuming that retailers don't want to hold onto them anymore due to space constraints, and it's been over a year since release. Clearance price would be nice :)

SickBoy

Sometime around november. Some places are slowly going through it, so you'll still see a mix of both used and recycled stickers, along with a mix of random colour labels.

What really drove me up the wall (besides the new policy of mixing new + used/recycle games) is the new mandate of game sorting via "the four types".

Regarding the used/new mix, I've been to all sorts of Gamestop locations in the U.S. (I don't know why, I've hardly ever bought anything there), and the used/new mix has never bothered me... but it almost seems like there's something about the Canadian stores that they've been unable to make the transition without making their shelves look like they've been attacked by a rabid animal.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone seen any guitar hero warriors of rock bundles for 360 or ps3 anywhere in their travels?
Got an old itch I want to scratch, and I can't seem to find the full band bundles anymore. I'm assuming that retailers don't want to hold onto them anymore due to space constraints, and it's been over a year since release. Clearance price would be nice :)
Seems to be super rare now. Your best bet would be to just call around.

I know it's late to ask this now (esp. since Boxing Week is coming to a close) but what's the best deal on a 3DS right now?

I picked up 3D Land and SF64 and really want to crack them open. c:
GameDealsCanada
Until Jan 2: Nintendo 3DS console is $154.97 ($15 off) @ Toys R Us - http://ow.ly/8eltg

Don't think they ever made full band bundles for WoR. ToysRUs may still have the Band Hero stuff lying around (I saw one yesterday), along with Guitar Only options.

Of note: WoR Software by itself is only 14.99.

Regarding the used/new mix, I've been to all sorts of Gamestop locations in the U.S. (I don't know why, I've hardly ever bought anything there), and the used/new mix has never bothered me... but it almost seems like there's something about the Canadian stores that they've been unable to make the transition without making their shelves look like they've been attacked by a rabid animal.

grabbed the last copy of el shaddai yesterday, &, yeah - as in, whatever happened to 'alphabetical order'? :) ...

I can almost never find a game I want to buy when I go into an EBGames. I end up asking and then make me feel dumb when they pull it out of the bottom shelf, sideways with a whole bunch of randomly assorted games.

I just order all my stuff online now. Not hard to find.

Luigi87

I don't care to look around GameStop anymore. I go to the counter, ask if they have such and such game in, get my answer. Buy if yes, leave if no. I don't care to linger and search.

Of course most of my shopping is done online nowadays, so it isn't too frequent.

As for Boxing Week, I'm kicking myself for missing out getting Firefly on Blu-Ray for $10 at FS...

Cheerilee

It's always best at EB/Gamestop to go up to the counter and ask. If there is an empty box on the shelf, that doesn't mean they have new copies (it usually means they have at least one beat up shelf copy that they'll try and pass off as new). If you can't find a box on the shelf, it doesn't mean that they don't have new copies, because someone might have just carried the box to the counter to buy one, and the clerks haven't put it back on the shelf yet.

So if you know what you want, just ask. The shelf is just there for advertising, and for people to point and say "Me want thing that looks like this." In that sense, it's probably best for them to put the things you want next to things you might also want.

Firestorm

Yep if I'm buying something at EB I go straight up to the counter and ask "Do you have a sealed copy of X" and I've never had an issue. The stuff on shelves are just empty cases after all. They don't indicate stock or anything.

Giard

Just opened a DVD boxset I ordered from Amazon.ca in the end of November. The first DVD is scratched, and I think it's during production, not shipping, because the scratches follow the DVD's circumference. Half of its contents are unreadable.

Will I have any problems returning the item to Amazon if I say it's defective?

Yep if I'm buying something at EB I go straight up to the counter and ask "Do you have a sealed copy of X" and I've never had an issue. The stuff on shelves are just empty cases after all. They don't indicate stock or anything.

I waited in like at EB on Boxing Day and while I was checking out, the kid behind me was checking out at another register and he had a copy of the AC: Revelations box (it was $20 that day). The cashier had to inform him that they had sold out of the 360 version and that the box he had was for display only, not indicative of stock. 35 minutes well wasted in line.

I was buying some games as gifts for my nephews, two copies or Rayman Origins, one of Sly Cooper and the last being MvC3. MvC3 was a display copy that they were passing off as new and I was like fuck that and bought a third copy of Rayman.

But I have been fooled into buying display copies before, Vanquish being one game that I had to get since that was their last copy.

Leeness

Son of a...I'm guessing there aren't any deals left on 360s anymore? Mine just broke. It's making a beautiful chugging sound when it tries to read discs.

I hate Xboxes so much :( they're such garbage but I want my Dance Central.

Son of a...I'm guessing there aren't any deals left on 360s anymore? Mine just broke. It's making a beautiful chugging sound when it tries to read discs.

I hate Xboxes so much :( they're such garbage but I want my Dance Central.

Futureshop still has them for 129 online.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Problem.

I now have a netbook with Windows 7 Starter and my Nintendo WiFi USB connector won't install.

Whatare my best solutions? I've considered getting a wireless router, is this one good?

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Produ...roduct=2513833

Or would my Internet provider (Bell, and I'm using an Ethernet modem) be able to assist me and maybe give me one somehow?

Erp, you should ask Bell to get you a new router/modem, especially if you are paying the rental fee anyway.

I like to keep old Boxing Day flyers to see how technology changes (yes I know they're online but I'm old-school).

Last year's FS BD flyer: $130 XBOX 360 4GB
This year: $130 360 4GB

Been thinking about buying a laptop... besides Best Buy, Futureshop, London Drugs, and Costco, anywhere else that may have a Samsung Series 7 with a good return policy? I want to test-drive the laptop before full commitment, and NCIX doesn't let me do that.

Or, anyone seen a Samsung Series 7 on demo anywhere in Vancouver?

I like to keep old Boxing Day flyers to see how technology changes (yes I know they're online but I'm old-school).

Last year's FS BD flyer: $130 XBOX 360 4GB
This year: $130 360 4GB

D:

I appreciate that though. What about TVs and stuff?

hayejin

I thought I'd ask here rather than start a new thread.

I clicked on LOTR Bluray deals and realized later that it was for canadian amazon site.

The price is definitely cheaper than US Amazon. Does custom charge tax to ship items from Canada to US? Anyone know?

http://www.amazon.ca/Lord-Rings-Fellowship-Extended-Editions/dp/B004HEWNBO/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&tag=redflags-20&qid=1325554660&sr=1-1

Not just LOTR blurays but I"m seeing a lot of items sell for less than US Amazon so I figured I'd order in bulk after I get all my eggs in basket.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I clicked on LOTR Bluray deals and realized later that it was for canadian amazon site.

The price is definitely cheaper than US Amazon. Does custom charge tax to ship items from Canada to US? Anyone know?

http://www.amazon.ca/Lord-Rings-Fell...5554660&sr=1-1

Not just LOTR blurays but I"m seeing a lot of items sell for less than US Amazon so I figured I'd order in bulk after I get all my eggs in basket.

I would assume that you might get hit. That would depend entirely on how US customs handles these cases I suppose.

Takao

Banned
Problem.

I now have a netbook with Windows 7 Starter and my Nintendo WiFi USB connector won't install.

Whatare my best solutions? I've considered getting a wireless router, is this one good?

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/Prod...line&category=WirelessNetwork&product=2513833

Or would my Internet provider (Bell, and I'm using an Ethernet modem) be able to assist me and maybe give me one somehow?

Did you download the newest drivers from the Nintendo site for the USB connector? I had one of those and they wouldn't work when I uninstalled it after the initial install unless I got the latest driver.

GAF meetup at the Zelda concert, in the nose-bleed section.

Wish they had a promotion where you buy Zelda SS and get 50% off tickets or something.

http://www.amazon.ca/Lord-Rings-Fellowship-Extended-Editions/dp/B004HEWNBO/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&tag=redflags-20&qid=1325554660&sr=1-1

Due to NAFTA there aren't any tariffs importing/exporting stuff between Canada/US, those products were probably made somewhere else though(Asia?) so there might end up being something because of that.

Edit-buying stuff between countries might be different, your best option would be to have it shipped to someone in Canada and then have them ship it to you. Shouldn't be any taxes on that

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Man that is one of the worst scalper sites I have ever seen. Who would be fooled by that?

Even the color palette is showing signs of aging. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom