• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Wow, I finally got my shipping confirmation email from EB for my $30 Rayman Origins order from December 23rd.

I just got 3ds, any good deals for awesome DS games going on? I never had a DS so I potentially have that whole library now. Looking for Pokemon black or ace attorney, or layton games.

Gamejunky

Has anyone seen Jurassic Park for 360 anywhere? I've never seen it at EB, walmart, Best Buy or anywhere. Was it a limited release? ebgames.ca doesn't even have it for sale online. I do see it for sale on Amazon, I just find it weird i've never seen a copy in any store.

lupinko

Due to NAFTA there aren't any tariffs importing/exporting stuff between Canada/US, those products were probably made somewhere else though(Asia?) so there might end up being something because of that.

Edit-buying stuff between countries might be different, your best option would be to have it shipped to someone in Canada and then have them ship it to you. Shouldn't be any taxes on that

Actually free-trade only covers Duties, Taxes on the other hand, the Government will still go wild on you.

Median

Has anyone seen Jurassic Park for 360 anywhere? I've never seen it at EB, walmart, Best Buy or anywhere. Was it a limited release? ebgames.ca doesn't even have it for sale online. I do see it for sale on Amazon, I just find it weird i've never seen a copy in any store.

Strangely I've seen it at Toys 'R' Us. I saw it somewhere else too, but can't remember where.

I just got 3ds, any good deals for awesome DS games going on? I never had a DS so I potentially have that whole library now. Looking for Pokemon black or ace attorney, or layton games.
I was the same as you. I basically went on a DS spree when I got my 3DS. So many goddamn awesome games. Few disappointments though (like dragon quest 9, imo worst in the series).

No_Style

EB Games
PROMO5OFF for $5 off $9.99 or more
Seems to work on pre-orders (Xenoblade)

Nice.

Good opportunity to use it for the 360 version of this:

Price drop? Metal Gear Solid HD Collection is $39.99 ($10 off) @ EB Games - ow.ly/8i5xC - Try in-store for PS3 version

Firestorm

lulz. You don't even live in true Vancouver. :p

(Strangely enough the coffeeshop across the street is run by Canucks fans, so I feel sufficiently involved)
I do! I'm in East Van. Just most of my classes (and so main campus) were in Surrey, and I was working in Surrey two summers ago. And I'm brown so it just seems like I should be living in Surrey!
Nice.

Good opportunity to use it for the 360 version of this:

Price drop? Metal Gear Solid HD Collection is $39.99 ($10 off) @ EB Games - ow.ly/8i5xC - Try in-store for PS3 version
I think MGS HD Collection was $24.99 around Boxing Day?

Bruiserk

I do! I'm in East Van. Just most of my classes (and so main campus) were in Surrey, and I was working in Surrey two summers ago. And I'm brown so it just seems like I should be living in Surrey!I think MGS HD Collection was $24.99 around Boxing Day?

If you don't mind me asking, which school did/do you go to? I live in Surrey, just curiosity.

I do! I'm in East Van. Just most of my classes (and so main campus) were in Surrey, and I was working in Surrey two summers ago. And I'm brown so it just seems like I should be living in Surrey!I think MGS HD Collection was $24.99 around Boxing Day?

Only the 360 version was discounted at EB.

Firestorm

If you don't mind me asking, which school did/do you go to? I live in Surrey, just curiosity.
SFU. My first two years were entirely at the Surrey campus aside from my summer electives. After that I was there about 50% of the time (switched from being a SIAT major to a SIAT/CMNS joint major).

Bruiserk

SFU. My first two years were entirely at the Surrey campus aside from my summer electives. After that I was there about 50% of the time (switched from being a SIAT major to a SIAT/CMNS joint major).

Oh that's awesome, I go to SFU. My first three semesters were at Burnaby (an hour away), but this semester I have my courses at Surrey campus which is fifteen minutes away.

Firestorm

The EB code expires at the end of today I think so use it up quick!
Oh that's awesome, I go to SFU. My first three semesters were at Burnaby (an hour away), but this semester I have my courses at Surrey campus which is fifteen minutes away.
If you need a B-Hum, take IAT 100 :p That campus became a second home to me... Was in school from September 2006 until just last semester.

Takuan

What does the PSP typically go for when it's on sale? I came upon Vanillaware's Grand Knights Story and it looks like an amusing romp. I'm sure there are all kinds of titles worth playing on that system now, so I wouldn't mind picking it up at a discount price.

I noticed Gamestop sells "recharged refurbished" units for $80; what does that even mean?

Ondore

PSPs usually go on sale for $99, though you may see a bundle for $80 new if you're lucky. Refurbs can be anything from "returned same day opened and played once" to "repaired by Sony".

Kazerei

Banned
What does the PSP typically go for when it's on sale? I came upon Vanillaware's Grand Knights Story and it looks like an amusing romp. I'm sure there are all kinds of titles worth playing on that system now, so I wouldn't mind picking it up at a discount price.

I noticed Gamestop sells "recharged refurbished" units for $80; what does that even mean?

Regular price at EB/GS is $80 for a core system, and $100 for a bundled system. PSP Go is also $100. But it is kind of difficult to find stock at EB/GS. I'd recommend a bundle (comes with game(s) and 2GB/4GB mem stick) if you can find one that you like. The Go is also an amazing deal, since it has 16GB built-in, although games on PSN tend to be more expensive than on UMD. Don't bother with the refurb units. They just clean it up and throw in ear buds, cleaning cloth and screen protector. You can buy a used system for ~$50 on Kijiji.

In the past, I think the lowest price I've seen is $70 for the Hannah Montana PSP bundle at HMV.

Takuan

Regular price at EB/GS is $80 for a core system, and $100 for a bundled system. PSP Go is also $100. But it is kind of difficult to find stock at EB/GS. I'd recommend a bundle (comes with game(s) and 2GB/4GB mem stick) if you can find one that you like. The Go is also an amazing deal, since it has 16GB built-in, although games on PSN tend to be more expensive than on UMD. Don't bother with the refurb units. They just clean it up and throw in ear buds, cleaning cloth and screen protector. You can buy a used system for ~$50 on Kijiji.

In the past, I think the lowest price I've seen is $70 for the Hannah Montana PSP bundle at HMV.
EB website says $130 for a PSP-3000 Core pack; is it 2000 and older that go for $80/$100? They've got a promo going on now that gives an additional $50 on top of TIV. If I had known about this game beforehand, I would've gladly traded in my 360 a PSP straight up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Its not like the PSP's entire library will be playable on the Vita.

... and cheap umds.
Yeah, I guess so. Certainly it'll cost at least 300 bucks to get PSP games on a Vita... but if you're not invested in a PSP now, it seems to make sense to invest in the current platform.

Takuan

Yeah, I guess so. Certainly it'll cost at least 300 bucks to get PSP games on a Vita... but if you're not invested in a PSP now, it seems to make sense to invest in the current platform.
I don't like having to wait for PSP games to become available to purchase on PSN and I don't like paying anything near full price for digital downloads.

Vita won't qualify for consideration until at least one hardware revision, a significant price drop, and an established library of games, which essentially means I won't even be thinking of the Vita for a few years. I do want to play Dragon's Crown, but I'm not about to fork over the $350 to do it. Grand Knights History looks like a deeper game, anyhow.

Kazerei

Banned
EB website says $130 for a PSP-3000 Core pack; is it 2000 and older that go for $80/$100? They've got a promo going on now that gives an additional $50 on top of TIV. If I had known about this game beforehand, I would've gladly traded in my 360 a PSP straight up.

Hmm, I definitely remember the PSP-3000 core pack being $80. I thought it was a permanent price drop at EB/GS, but maybe it was just a sale? The MSRP is $130.

EDIT: I found this ... weird. Probably best to phone EB/GS and ask them to look up the SKUs.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I thought Sony said they would look into adding a peripheral for UMD users.
Still bummed at the lack of video-out, nevertheless I'm sure someone will find a way.

5 bucks off, hmmm what should I spend it on?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
EB Games
PROMO5OFF for $5 off $9.99 or more
Seems to work on pre-orders (Xenoblade)

Yesterday the girl at EB said she didn't think there was a Canadian EB Games entry for Xenoblade.... granted she didn't actually check the system. I assumed it was Nintendo.com only in Canada. Anyone know otherwise?

Takuan

Hmm, I definitely remember the PSP-3000 core pack being $80. I thought it was a permanent price drop at EB/GS, but maybe it was just a sale? The MSRP is $130.

EDIT: I found this ... weird. Probably best to phone EB/GS and ask them to look up the SKUs.
It was probably a sale. I checked for store availability, nothing within a 100km radius. :lol

Thanks though, I appreciate the help.

Damn it, I really wish I'd read up on GKH during Christmas.

Cheerilee

All this time I thought Firestorm was Asian. >_<

Technically he is but you know what I mean.

LrwA7.jpg

Has anyone seen a deal on Dance Central 2? I have enough money in gift cards at Chapters to pick it up, but if I can get a deal, I'd rather do that.

Firestorm

Oh anyone know where I can pick up a cheap PSP charger? Also Sony Cybershot battery charger because I am not paying $60 for one...

DJ_Lae

Has anyone seen a deal on Dance Central 2? I have enough money in gift cards at Chapters to pick it up, but if I can get a deal, I'd rather do that.

Costco had it for $30 a few days ago when I was there.

Unfortunately you missed Staples' sale last week - $26, I think.

Zing

Banned
Anyone seen any guitar hero warriors of rock bundles for 360 or ps3 anywhere in their travels?
Got an old itch I want to scratch, and I can't seem to find the full band bundles anymore. I'm assuming that retailers don't want to hold onto them anymore due to space constraints, and it's been over a year since release. Clearance price would be nice :)
Are you in the GTA?

The Stouffville Walmart has two of the Xbox 360 Band Kits in stock. I know because I went there and bought their last two Wii band kits.

They are $169 each.

Zing

Banned
Anyone know where I could get Donkey Kong Country Returns for less than MSRP? The best I can find is used at EB for $45. :(

The Futureshop used price is $40, but their online stock tool is offline for another week.

I was hoping this would be on sale somewhere. I checked the usual suspects (walmart, best buy, futureshop, eb).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeesh, the show not being in Toronto until September.
Man, I suppose the good part about not having any friends who would pay premium money for a "video game" concert is that I can probably find a single ticket pretty easily like I did with the FF concert. Weird that it's so far away though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom