• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Man, I suppose the good part about not having any friends who would pay premium money for a "video game" concert is that I can probably find a single ticket pretty easily like I did with the FF concert. Weird that it's so far away though.
I'm in the same boat as you but I'm hoping some people in the Toronto thread will want to do a group buy so losers like us don't have to be totally alone. :p

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I would go to the MTL one because I'm a francophone, but I'm really broke and aiming for a loge seat, so Toronto it is.

Gives me enough time to save up some cash.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
FS Flyer for this week list the 1400+400 point card as $19.99.

Is MS finally owning up to the exchange rate?
I wish/hope!

Did people arrange anything? I was there, but I didn't know if there was any arrangements.
I didn't want to go to the FF one so I have no idea if anyone here tried doing that.
I honestly didn't even think to check the Toronto thread at the time. Although I bought my ticket pretty late anyway.

Zing

Banned
That zelda symphony has an awesome website. Main page: enter your email address, Facebook, twitter. Ok, I'll click "team". Coming soon. Ok, how about "press and booking". Coming soon. Fine, how about "about". Coming soon.

The website may as well just be one large "under construction" sign circa 1996.

Firestorm

That zelda symphony has an awesome website. Main page: enter your email address, Facebook, twitter. Ok, I'll click "team". Coming soon. Ok, how about "press and booking". Coming soon. Fine, how about "about". Coming soon.

The website may as well just be one large "under construction" sign circa 1996.
The worst part is most of it wasn't even up until this morning and it was only a few hours before ticket sales went up. Most people in most cities had no clue it was even going to start and Nintendo didn't put out the discount coupon until hours after sales had started. Whoever they hired to run this is terrible.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Anyone know where I can get a black, backwards compatible Wii? I would a white one at Sears but it would clash with the rest of my setup. I just want to play my Gamecube games on my HDTV.

krae_man

Anyone know where I can get a black, backwards compatible Wii? I would a white one at Sears but it would clash with the rest of my setup. I just want to play my Gamecube games on my HDTV.
Or you could just buy the Gamecube component cables for almost tue same price :p

Zing

Banned

These were still at my local FS and BB as of a few weeks ago. Zellers and Walmart also still had them in-store.

theRizzle

I'm thinking about cancelling my satellite and getting a Boxee/ATV2 or whatever. Any of you guys use something like this? What kind of programming is available in Canada? How easy is it to get US stuff like Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Zing

Banned
You can get literally any TV series you desire via usenet. If you are heavy into sports, then you want satellite, but otherwise, just use binsearch.info, a usenet client, and $9 a month for a usenet account.

Or, if you are cheap/poor, then use bittorrent and a site like eztv.it or mininova. It's much slower for downloading, though, and more difficult to find what you want.

I use a Mac Mini on my TV with Plex software. It works great and has native support for the apple/harmony remote. Highly recommended.

timnich

I use Mobile Mouse. It lets you use your phone as a trackpad, and gives you access to a keyboard, has shortcuts to your dock, gives you multimedia controls. I have my mac hooked up to a TV and this allows me to have perfect access to it from my couch.

theRizzle

Thanks for the quick answers guys.

I am watching videos about installing XBMC on an Apple TV and this all seems like a veritable NIGHTMARE, and this is coming from someone who actually has enough knowledge and experience to be able to understand everything.

Basically what I want to do is be able to watch stuff I have on my NAS (Synology DS411+) which is in all kinds of different formats (avi, mkv, vob etc.) on my TV, but also have the option to get streaming content from both US and Canada (US Netflix and Canadian sports mostly, although the sports isn't too much of a concern since the ATV supports NHL Gamecentre, and I am already a subscriber). I like the Usenet suggestion for downloads of TV shows though.

Also, apparently the Apple TV can't do 1080p? So I guess my bluray rips would be no good?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Neither of my Gamecubes support Component Cables. S-Video at the highest. Fucking Nintendo.

Gamecubes are like $5-10... Check any thrift store. Most of them have the digital AV port that allows component.

(oh but now that I read the conversation, of course the Wii will make more sense :p)

Zing

Banned

I am watching videos about installing XBMC on an Apple TV and this all seems like a veritable NIGHTMARE, and this is coming from someone who actually has enough knowledge and experience to be able to understand everything.

Basically what I want to do is be able to watch stuff I have on my NAS (Synology DS411+) which is in all kinds of different formats (avi, mkv, vob etc.) on my TV, but also have the option to get streaming content from both US and Canada (US Netflix and Canadian sports mostly, although the sports isn't too much of a concern since the ATV supports NHL Gamecentre, and I am already a subscriber). I like the Usenet suggestion for downloads of TV shows though.

Also, apparently the Apple TV can't do 1080p? So I guess my bluray rips would be no good?

Do not waste your time trying to hack an Apple TV for watching videos. I know several people who managed to do it and it ended up being a waste of time. It is far more hassle than it is worth and there are a multitude of ongoing issues.

Just get either a small PC or a Mac Mini and call it a day. I prefer the Mac for ease of use and it literally just works out of the box once you install Plex. And by "install" I mean drag the executable to the applications folder and you are done.

I have Sabnzb running on it, so I can just drag/drop nzb files onto a shared folder and it automatically downloads the files and puts them in the appropriate location for viewing. It can't get much easier. If you want to take it to the next level, you can set it up to automatically download particular TV shows automatically as they are posted.

The absolute cheapest and least complicated option outside of buying a Boxee Box would be to build your own nettop. I did a crap tonne of research and it boiled down to getting an atom-based barebone machine.

The smallest one I could find was the Shuttle xs35v2, which is about the size of a Wii. It uses fanless cooling, so it can be left on forever with little power consumption, and is completely silent.

http://global.shuttle.com/main/productsDetail?productId=1487

Bought a hard drive and some ram, and the total came up to around $400. Got a Rii Mini bluetooth keyboard for it too, and I'm a happy camper.

Not only is it a HTPC, it's also my main computer for 24hr p2p if I need it, since it consumes way less power than my main desktop.

RS4-

There's a Vita bundle for $300 for Bestbuy Reward Zone users. Only extras are the 4GB memory stick, some case and it'll come with Uncharted if you pre-order it in store; details should be in your email.

lupinko

There's a Vita bundle for $300 for Bestbuy Reward Zone users. Only extras are the 4GB memory stick, some case and it'll come with Uncharted if you pre-order it in store; details should be in your email.

Wait, WHAT? Free Uncharted? That Wifi Bundle with Free Uncharted is crazy good.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
You can get your money back from EBGames pre-orders without hassle, right? I just e-mailed the coupon to my girlfriend, who had put 50 down on her first edition there.

You can get your money back from EBGames pre-orders without hassle, right? I just e-mailed the coupon to my girlfriend, who had put 50 down on her first edition there.

You shouldn't get any hassle over it. They'll just give you back the money in the form you paid with.

The Best Buy deal is tempting, but I've never had a good experience pre-ordering something from them, especially if it comes with extras.

krae_man

I better get the system day one since I'm cancelling a earlier EB preorder to get this.

Any KW GAF that isn't getting this bundle want a $26+Tax copy of Uncharted Vita?

lupinko

The Best Buy deal is tempting, but I've never had a good experience pre-ordering something from them, especially if it comes with extras.

I concur, but I had that problem with FS though.

As much flak ebgamestop gets from people on the internet, they are usually good for their preorders (well the local ones here anyway).

Fuzzy

Looks like I finally know where I'm pre-ordering my Vita, this is a great deal even though I already have a $26 pre-order for Uncharted. So for $24 more than what I would have paid for a Vita with my Uncharted order I get a 4GB memory card, a case and a game I don't care about. I wonder if I can use my RZ certificates as the deposit for the pre-order. I remember the topic of using RZ certs for in-store pre-orders being brought up in this thread but I can't remember what the word was on that. Anyone know?

Fuzzy

I suspect "Uncharted: Golden Abyss? Oh the computer puts that shipping as next week. Sorry!"
I won't have a problem with having to wait a week since that's when Uncharted is supposed to come out but I have almost no faith they'll have enough Vitas at launch.

I remember the topic of using RZ certs for in-store pre-orders being brought up in this thread but I can't remember what the word was on that. Anyone know?
For the new page. Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom