• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zing

Banned
.. actually I found my eneloops run out pretty damn fast, and they're new! Just doesn't perform as well as regular AA batteries. :(

I think it depends on the voltage requirements of your device. Eneloops, and virtually all rechargeable batteries are only 1.2 volts, while devices expect the 1.5 volts of regular batteries. This causes some devices to report that the batteries are low or dead, or the device just stops working, before they are actually depleted.

I use Eneloops for my Wii remotes and Skylanders portal. They seem to last just as long as regular batteries in both instances. The Sklanders portal I know for sure they last just as long, because I had a marathon session with both Eneloops and regular Duracell alkalines, and the play time was about the same.

Didn't Duracell switch from Sanyo Eneloop (white top, made in Japan) to Rayovac Hybrid (black top, made in China) a while back? Eneloop is measurably better than Hybrid, but the average user shouldn't be able to tell the difference. They use the same chargers and everything.

I figure at $7.99 for four, you should get them regardless of which type they are, but yeah, it's obviously a good idea to glance over the shelf and see if any of them have the white tops and grab those ones instead.

I was just at SDM and saw only white tops. Depends on where you are I guess.

Any suggestions as to cheap Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries? I use them for all my gaming needs and want another four. The last time I bought some, they were part of a dell deal.

Check out Dell.ca. They currently have some good deals on them.

Edit: Nevermind. On my iPhone and didn't see the previous replies.

RS4-

Anyone know where I can find the Star Trek Online CE's in Toronto? I missed out on when Source had a firesale on the game a few months ago lol

Any ideas where I can find some cheap GBAs and link cables for some FF:CC multiplayer action? Most of the ones on ebay are missing battery covers and/or are scuffed to hell, and that just drives me insane.

Also, while I'm here, where should I preorder my Vita from? Anywhere offering special deals?

I may have some 3rd party link cables buried in my basement. If I can find them, they are yours.

LeetBM

Neo Member
Hmm, why does this sound like a scam...

That's what I thought too. But I actually went through the process and registered and it's not a scam. I got a PS Vita pre-order for $199 yesterday.

Here's some RedFlagDeal and other site links discussing the site/deals:

RedFlagDeals:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sony-playstation-3d-display-bundle-95-g-list-1117360/
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merg...thread-earn-points-get-awesome-perks-1118783/

Unfiction:
http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32436

Destructoid Article:
http://www.destructoid.com/here-s-a-mysterious-canadian-viral-campaign-to-watch-202628.phtml

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Have you guys heard that all Canadians are eligible to receive a free $60 video game of your choice next month through tsilon.ca?

It's pretty cool. :)

http://www.nextgenplayer.com/2012/01/leaked-memo-shows-free-video-game-for.html

I just got a promo code for a $199 PS Vita off the site. Couldn't believe it. Pre-ordered at Futureshop.ca...

Junior member, 13 posts in 3 years, 11 of them today all advertising this deal, links to your own site self-promoting the deal, this post also mentions that you preordered off "Futureshop.ca" when your profile works you're a writer for them...

LeetBM

Neo Member
Junior member, 13 posts in 3 years, 11 of them today all advertising this deal, links to your own site self-promoting the deal, this post also mentions that you preordered off "Futureshop.ca" when your profile works you're a writer for them...

I don't know how this next perk is going to work, or what retailer it's through. I really don't care if people check my blog out or not, I just wanted to get the word out.

As a backstory, the owners of this site (tsilon.ca) approached me earlier this month and asked me to be their exclusive media outlet. I agreed, so these people are now emailing me insider information about the perks they're about to offer Canadians. I'm not in this for traffic, and I'm not connected with these people in any way. I've been a lifelong passionate gamer and just want fellow hardcore gamers to get some awesome perks. If you look at my blog/twitter, I have posted many times about all major retailers -- EB Games, Bust Buy, HMV, etc.

In any event, not looking to gain anything here. I just think Canadian gamers should know there's a quick and easy way to snag a free video game. Check out tsilon.ca, don't bother looking at my site.

I don't know how this next perk is going to work, or what retailer it's through. I really don't care if people check my blog out or not, I just wanted to get the word out.

As a backstory, the owners of this site (tsilon.ca) approached me earlier this month and asked me to be their exclusive media outlet. I agreed, so these people are now emailing me insider information about the perks they're about to offer Canadians. I'm not in this for traffic, and I'm not connected with these people in any way. I've been a lifelong passionate gamer and just want fellow hardcore gamers to get some awesome perks. If you look at my blog/twitter, I have posted many times about all major retailers -- EB Games, Bust Buy, HMV, etc.

In any event, not looking to gain anything here. I just think Canadian gamers should know there's a quick and easy way to snag a free video game. Check out tsilon.ca, don't bother looking at my site.
lol

Advertising or not (I don't really care) I'll check it out to get a free game and report back.

Giard

Advertising or not (I don't really care) I'll check it out to get a free game and report back.
I think they'll only give out games to people who have been there for a while..or who have a certain number of posts. There's some challenges involved too that I'm not understanding well.

LeetBM

Neo Member
Despite his numerous posts advertising the deal, the site is legit. Quite a few Gaffers (myself included) got the $95 monitor. They give you a coupon code to order from futureshop. I think all their deals will be going through futureshop. So you take the good with the bad...

LeetBM

Neo Member
Despite his numerous posts advertising the deal, the site is legit. Quite a few Gaffers (myself included) got the $95 monitor. They give you a coupon code to order from futureshop. I think all their deals will be going through futureshop. So you take the good with the bad...

Hey, I'm MaxCole in the forums in case you've seen me.

How is a website like this profitable in any way?

It's advertising for the companies offering the perks. Still, you're getting the discounts.

I received $50 for CinemaNow. There is no way I would have signed up for that site otherwise but they got me in with a free $50.

Of course, I'm not going to use their service beyond the free money.

LeetBM

Neo Member
It's advertising for the companies offering the perks. Still, you're getting the discounts.

I received $50 for CinemaNow. There is no way I would have signed up for that site otherwise but they got me in with a free $50.

Of course, I'm not going to use their service beyond the free money.

I'm only on Level 11 so I haven't got the CinemaNow perk. :/

I assume they just give you a code that you enter on the website? I guess I gotta start answering more trivia...

ryan-ts

Oh my god, is this real life? I went to that website and all my dreams came true. I'm riding on a unicorn as I type this! Go now guys, go now!

I'm only on Level 11 so I haven't got the CinemaNow perk. :/

I assume they just give you a code that you enter on the website? I guess I gotta start answering more trivia...

That's it.

The deal they're getting out of this, I assume, is that CinemaNow offers them a few hundred $50 coupons in exchange for free advertising and the opportunity to receive a bunch of new registrations.

The $60 game deal for EVERYONE is probably to drive hits to the tsilon.ca site. As of now, it's been fairly low key. Not many people are using it and a few of us would prefer it that way. I imagine the site's sponsors feel otherwise. They want to drive users to the site in order to get hits for these sponsors.

Still, the deals have been exceptional and all I really had to do was answer a bunch of game trivia (which I enjoyed) and get an achievement or two in games.

Pretty easy stuff.

LeetBM

Neo Member
That's it.

The deal they're getting out of this, I assume, is that CinemaNow offers them a few hundred $50 coupons in exchange for free advertising and the opportunity to receive a bunch of new registrations.

The $60 game deal for EVERYONE is probably to drive hits to the tsilon.ca site. As of now, it's been fairly low key. Not many people are using it and a few of us would prefer it that way. I imagine the site's sponsors feel otherwise. They want to drive users to the site in order to get hits for these sponsors.

Still, the deals have been exceptional and all I really had to do was answer a bunch of game trivia (which I enjoyed) and get an achievement or two in games.

Pretty easy stuff.

Yeah, I agree with everything you just said.

LeetBM

Neo Member
Doing trivia questions on that site now. Hopefully I get something good out of this.

Once you get to Level 10 you can enter the G-List and view all the perks.

There's still 205 codes for $50 at CinemaNow, and 370 codes for 10% off a game pre-order.

I'm getting 48 hour advance notice of when this free video game perk will be offered (supposed to be mid-February). I'll be posting in G-List forum first to make sure everybody knows how to redeem.

Vamphuntr

Once you get to Level 10 you can enter the G-List and view all the perks.

There's still 205 codes for $50 at CinemaNow, and 370 codes for 10% off a game pre-order.

I'm getting 48 hour advance notice of when this free video game perk will be offered (supposed to be mid-February). I'll be posting in G-List forum first to make sure everybody knows how to redeem.

I'm level 9 right now!

LeetBM

Neo Member
I'm level 9 right now!

Cool, almost there. I'm MaxCole in the gaming Forum section. There's quite a bit of discussions going on there.

Hope you get to 10 soon, talk to you in the Forums. I'm mostly going to talk to Canadian gamers there, damn I got roasted here...! :/

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't either.. seems like RFD's easy answers don't work either because they appear to be switching it up to stop people from sharing answers.

But CALLER for Yellow worked for me. As did HUMAN for the red one. Blue and Green, no fucking idea.

LeetBM

Neo Member
I don't either.. seems like RFD's easy answers don't work either because they appear to be switching it up to stop people from sharing answers.

But CALLER for Yellow worked for me. As did HUMAN for the red one. Blue and Green, no fucking idea.

Yeah, they switch up the codes. I just solved Blue and Green a few days ago. It wasn't the answers posted on RFD...

Site is glitchy. Once I fill out details it gives me a glitched out page with login and register and four blank boxes being covered by something else. Tried on chrome and firefox.

What I like about the site is that it isn't easy.

There's a certain challenge to getting the perks. Keeps the RFD'ers at bay. They change things up every so often in order to keep the answers fresh. Smart way of handling things.

Most perks (like the $95 PS3 Display/$100 off Vita) are limited to only a few hundred. Like I said earlier, the free game must be a promotion to lure people tot he site.

If they say they're giving a free game away, I'm inclined to believe them.

Vamphuntr

They're all super easy. For green read the stuff posted in the background for the clue and for blue read the hint at the top of the page and click on the 3 games. You get a part of the answer in each of the 3.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

There's a certain challenge to getting the perks. Keeps the RFD'ers at bay. They change things up every so often in order to keep the answers fresh. Smart way of handling things.

Most perks (like the $95 PS3 Display/$100 off Vita) are limited to only a few hundred. Like I said earlier, the free game must be a promotion to lure people tot he site.

I'm not understanding the business model completely, but yeah this is quite a bit of effort just to give away free shit at the end of the day.

And yeah site logs you out if you close the tab or what have you.

LeetBM

Neo Member

Yeah, completely agree again!

I really do believe this is free game perk is happening. The owners, which they mysteriously call themselves "Misters" email and text me, leaking information. So far I've talked to "Mister C" and "Mister E". I have NO idea who these people are. I strongly think they're connected to Victor Lucas and Electric Playground, but I have no concrete evidence. Why would Victor let this site interrupt his Canadian Video Game Awards show if he wasn't in on it?

LeetBM

Neo Member
These are kind of cryptic messages I get from them:

380413_10100857450130142_28111630_65237380_982741318_n.jpg

It's quite amusing actually, lol. I've asked repeatedly what their names are and who they are and all they tell me is they are "The Misters".

But anyway, I don't really care about all their secrecy. At the end of the day I'm just enjoying the many perks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom