• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
the site juked me. the question is "Chronologically, which Street Fighter game comes first in the franchise's story line?" and I answered the first Street Fighter but then it flagged me as wrong :lol I hope they don't think Street Fighter Alpha is the first chronlogically

Takao

Banned
the site juked me. the question is "Chronologically, which Street Fighter game comes first in the franchise's story line?" and I answered the first Street Fighter but then it flagged me as wrong :lol I hope they don't think Street Fighter Alpha is the first chronlogically

Yeah, I've had some questions goof up on me too. Generally it's okay.

Lothars

I actually got that one right because it said story line, I did choose Alpha since Story Line wise it's supposedly before the rest of them.

btkadams

I care because I'm a lifelong gamer and just think people need to know about how fun the site is, how great the Canadian gamer community is, and all the perks. I'm not tied with the site in any way, and I specifically told the owners that I'm not in this for perks.

The only benefit I'm getting is early access to information, which is great because then I can be the one to let everyone else know what awesome perks are coming next.

I really think if you need people to vouch for the site you can just ask around here. I know there are a bunch of GAFers who got $95 3D TVs, $100 of the PS Vita, and $50 vouchers for CinemanNow.

The next perk is $99 Nintendo 3DS, which looks like it's going live in 9 hours.

i know you're the media guy, but tsilonAI said on the g-forum post "thisAI would like to make clear that the 3DS perk is going live/active beginning on the 30th (may be moved to the 1st or 3rd for start).

The slide being visible and details incoming is for advance notice for members. Not all constructs have the luxury of daily visitation!"

EDIT: nvm, someone linked me to your post but i didn't see you corrected it in later posts.

I have a bestbuy.ca preorder with three items in in. I want to cancel one of those items but it only gives me the option to cancel the entire order. WTF? How do I get rid of one of the items?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I have a bestbuy.ca preorder with three items in in. I want to cancel one of those items but it only gives me the option to cancel the entire order. WTF? How do I get rid of one of the items?
You have to call them. When I had a similar situation the person on the phone told me to place another order for what I wanted then call them back and they would update the prices on the new order with the prices from the old order then they would cancel the old order. It's easier to just return what you don't want once you get the order. This is why I do orders with single items now when possible.

You have to call them. When I had a similar situation the person on the phone told me to place another order for what I wanted then call them back and they would update the prices on the new order with the prices from the old order then they would cancel the old order. It's easier to just return what you don't want once you get the order. This is why I do orders with single items now when possible.

Thanks.

I think I'll just return the item I don't want.

btkadams

so, it's obviously fs/bb running it, right? cinemanow is owned by best buy. the ps display and vita coupons were for fs too, correct? i wasn't on the site until last night so i don't know for sure. i'm assuming the free game deal will be a coupon to use on futureshop's website.

it's obviously a big company with the money to give out the free stuff. the company also clearly wants to identify with hardcore gamers, which it seems is a big direction futureshop and bestbuy have been going in (bestbuy's rewardzone gamer's club as an example).

Vamphuntr

so, it's obviously fs/bb running it, right? cinemanow is owned by best buy. the ps display and vita coupons were for fs too, correct? i wasn't on the site until last night so i don't know for sure. i'm assuming the free game deal will be a coupon to use on futureshop's website.

it's obviously a big company with the money to give out the free stuff. the company also clearly wants to identify with hardcore gamers, which it seems is a big direction futureshop and bestbuy have been going in (bestbuy's rewardzone gamer's club as an example).

This is my guess as well. I fully expect the stuff to be harder to get as more people get in. I can already see how it will eventually turns like the steam winter sale. If you link your PSN/XBL/Steam account on the site you can get XP for doing specific achievements. It's basically a not so subtle way to make you buy games to get rewards. So far the stuff require very low level like 10-15 but once more people get in and the site gets older, it will probably be difficult to only level up with Trivia.

It's obviously some kind of market research experiment too. They won't let you redeem prize if you don't specify your favorite gaming platform. They also have a showcase section where you can watch trailers for ME3 and FFXIII-2 (obviously advertisers money) and are trying to push some Click magazine you can get for free. Some threads on the forum are also suspicious. Would you make a thread saying you are excited to preorder FFXIII-2 :p?

The upcoming 3DS deal is good though. 99$ for a 3DS is nice.

Also if you are in QC and try to register for the cinemanow perk (you can't as it's not available) you get a funny email saying the AI is not satisfied with you not getting the prize and will try to work something out.

The nice thing is that you cannot hoard the stuff. RFD is thus out of the loop. It takes a while to get the required XP and you must be a gamer to know the answers as the questions are timed and you don't have time to use google.

btkadams

This is my guess as well. I fully expect the stuff to be harder to get as more people get in. I can already see how it will eventually turns like the steam winter sale. If you link your PSN/XBL/Steam account on the site you can get XP for doing specific achievements. It's basically a not so subtle way to make you buy games to get rewards. So far the stuff require very low level like 10-15 but once more people get in and the site gets older, it will probably be difficult to only level up with Trivia.

It's obviously some kind of market research experiment too. They won't let you redeem prize if you don't specify your favorite gaming platform. They also have a showcase section where you can watch trailers for ME3 and FFXIII-2 (obviously advertisers money) and are trying to push some Click magazine you can get for free. Some threads on the forum are also suspicious. Would you make a thread saying you are excited to preorder FFXIII-2 :p?

The upcoming 3DS deal is good though. 99$ for a 3DS is nice.

Also if you are in QC and try to register for the cinemanow perk (you can't as it's not available) you get a funny email saying the AI is not satisfied with you not getting the prize and will try to work something out.

The nice thing is that you cannot hoard the stuff. RFD is thus out of the loop. It takes a while to get the required XP and you must be a gamer to know the answers as the questions are timed and you don't have time to use google.
yeah, i hope the challenges don't get too hard. i looked at all of the current ones and i can't do any except one lol. i took a pic of my 3 legendaries caught in pokemon black, so hopefully they approve and i get that one completed.

$99 3DS is fantastic so i'm stoked for that.

frequency

I'm very familiar with all the series in the testing thing (except Street Fighter I guess) but I really found out how terrible my memory is.

The only one I was able to actually remember stuff from was Final Fantasy stuff.
I got to level 10 or whatever and stopped. I didn't know that the quizzes actually end at some point.

gillty

Banned
The level 3 industry questions along with the Streer Fighter ones were very easy, everything else pretty much random guesses for me. I dont have any Sega or SNES knowledge as I'm primarily a PC and handheld gamer.

edit: the pokemon stuff was super hard for someone who's only played gen1, 2, 2 remakes and pearl. Big gap in my knowledge.

krae_man

Okay I got to level 15. I'll take a break again. I could have got an easy 1000 exp for the Beyond good and evil one if I still had my save. I got more of the 55 point questions right then anything else :lol. Is the 100 exp tier broken?

whitehawk

Banned
still fishy about this site but

what level do you have to reach to get the codes?
also what level for the free vita game (eventual)?
Level 10 for 10% off games. Level 15 for the $50 cinemanow credit. It was level 15 for the $199 vita, and it's probably going to be level 15 for the $99 3DS.

Get to at least level 15 just to be safe.

filipe

I have no idea what this site is but I'm already beyond annoyed with it. Can we move all future comments a dedicated thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom