• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Not exactly a gaming deal, but probably still relevant to a few of you:

Future Shop is selling a list of blu-rays for $9.99, and each includes a coupon for $10 off to see Prometheus in theatres.

Among these are Alien, Aliens, Fight Club, and a bunch more.

Pretty good if you were planning to see Prometheus anyway.

Are blu-ray players relatively cheap now? A lot of those are super cheap which makes me intrigued.

zroid

Banned
Are blu-ray players relatively cheap now? A lot of those are super cheap which makes me intrigued.

I think you can get some lower end or generic brand ones for less than $100 nowadays. I still tend to recommend a PS3 for those wanting a blu-ray player though. Even as just a blu-ray player it's among the best, and it's probably second-to-none for making use of the blu-rays' online features.

ElNino

I bought a Samsung Blu-ray playing during the Boxing week sales for $99 to use in the bedroom and it has been good so far. I still use a PS3 for Blu-rays in the family room, but the Samsung works fine. It's Netflix app is even usable, if a bit slow to navigate the UI (the video plays fine though, even in HD).

RS4-

Future Shop is selling a list of blu-rays for $9.99, and each includes a coupon for $10 off to see Prometheus in theatres.

If only they had the bluray Quadrilogy set like Bestbuy US for $40. Then I'd get it. Does anyone know if the $10 coupon works towards Imax? I know they have some weird as fuck rules regarding things like that

zroid

Banned
If only they had the bluray Quadrilogy set like Bestbuy US for $40. Then I'd get it. Does anyone know if the $10 coupon works towards Imax? I know they have some weird as fuck rules regarding things like that

Best Buy Canada also has the Alien Anthology blu-ray set for $40. Not sure if it includes the movie coupon though!

But this is kind of good, since you get a coupon for each movie. My dad wants to see it too, so I'll probably get Alien and Aliens, both. I don't really care about the other films anyway. I'm pretty sure the coupon would be valid on IMAX or whatever, you'd just have to pay the difference... which would be like 6 bucks I think, for IMAX. I'm gonna pick up the blu-rays tonight, so I'll confirm if it says otherwise.

RS4-

Lol fuck, didn't realize BB here did it too. I already own the set on DVD but hmm...

edit - Oh, most of the extras are in SD. I guess I'll just pick up Alien and Aliens.

Magnus

Alien Quad bluray for $40? I've never seen these films, will be seeing Prometheus, and have a $50 Best Buy card.

I need to bite here. Right?

zroid

Banned
Oh, oh hey, guys. I have an actual gaming deal this time!

I just picked up Punch-Out!! (Wii) for $4.99 from Best Buy. I think they're clearing out their non-Nintendo Selects copies of the game. YMMV though, it's not even listed on the website. I think I got the last one at my local store.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

I just picked up Punch-Out!! (Wii) for $4.99 from Best Buy. I think they're clearing out their non-Nintendo Selects copies of the game. YMMV though, it's not even listed on the website. I think I got the last one at my local store.

That's a great deal, the game is awesome.

survivor

Banned
With both Rogers and Blockbuster gone, the only place I am even aware of that still rents games is Microplay, of which there is only a location on Bank St and another on Merrivale Rd.

I've heard that CD Warehouse is starting to rent movies now, but I have not go to check it out so I can't tell you yes/no if they extended that to games or not (I assume no).

Yeah I have been to the one near South Keys before. Didn't know they rented games. Will go there soon. Thanks

That's an amazing deal. Punch-Out!! for Wii is incredible.

Magnus

Just don't watch Alien Resurrection and you'll be good, Alien 3 is debatable.

I bit. Also on Fight Club BR for $10. Always swore I'd nab it if I ever saw it again for that price.

Random deal:

Used Ultimate Spider-Man PS2 is $5 at GameStop. Saw one at the Dundas Square street front store. Someone bite! Great game, already have it myself.

LakeEarth

Yup, I essentially got Fight Club for a buck thirty, as I'm super pumped for Prometheus anyways.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Thanks, I picked up Cubic Ninja. I had been considering getting this if it ever dropped to $20, but then I had such a backlog of games to play I didn't bother, so I'm glad I waited.

Got it from Best Buy for 29.99, time for a price-match biches.

Anyone know Futureshop's return policy on games from the "trade X number of games get Y free" promo? I'd like to try Resistance if I pick up a Vita (depending on how e3 goes for the system) but after seeing the reviews I don't want to drop "real" money on the game.

If I don't pick up a Vita will I be stuck with the game or can I return it? If so what do I return it for? Store credit? I emailed their CS but I got "we evaluate on a case-by-case manner" response.

J-Man

As mentioned, the only place I know that rents games downtown Ottawa is Microplay on Bank between Nepean and Gloucester.

On another note: Anyone want a code for the cemetery map for Max Payne 3? EB games had an extra one when I bought the game, and I'll never use it. Let me know.

Kazerei

Banned
Anyone know Futureshop's return policy on games from the "trade X number of games get Y free" promo? I'd like to try Resistance if I pick up a Vita (depending on how e3 goes for the system) but after seeing the reviews I don't want to drop "real" money on the game.

If I don't pick up a Vita will I be stuck with the game or can I return it? If so what do I return it for? Store credit? I emailed their CS but I got "we evaluate on a case-by-case manner" response.

You should be given store credit for the games you traded in, at their normal trade-in values. If there's a new "trade X get Y" promo, you might be able to convince them to switch it to the new game.

zroid

Banned

No personal experience on this, but I imagine in a worst case scenario, you'll end up getting the normal amount of credit for the game you previously traded in. So... if it's Splinter Cell, for example, I think that'd be $13 credit. Hopefully it would work out better than that, though. Maybe they'll give you an amount of credit equivalent to the marked-up used price of the game you traded in (whatever that is).

zroid

Banned
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/future-shop-e3-promotion-buy-3-get-1-free-xbox-days-offers-1182303/

Posted on RFD - the E3 deal this year is buy 3 get 1 free. So worse than last year's deal by 20 bucks or so, but still decent I suppose.

I wonder, however, how the discount will be apportioned. Will they split up the value of the free game into an equal discount for each of the four? Or will they just give a full-value credit for the free game?

If the latter is true, and the games all ship separately, you might theoretically be able to return the three you paid for and get the other one straight-up free.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wonder, however, how the discount will be apportioned. Will they split up the value of the free game into an equal discount for each of the four? Or will they just give a full-value credit for the free game?

If the latter is true, and the games all ship separately, you might theoretically be able to return the three you paid for and get the other one straight-up free.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they thought of that and will be doing it the smart way. At least I'd hope so. lol

zroid

Banned
I am not spending $200 on video games in one shot.

Fuck that noise.

You really aren't though, technically. Online pre-orders are only charged at the time of shipment, and you could easily order 4 games that are released several months apart. (Plus, if you change your mind later, you can always return any of the games)

MercuryLS

Banned
tumblr_m3uaku3bpm1qilj9qo2_1280.png

The deal last year was Buy 3 get $60 off. Making each game approximately $40. I was looking forward to a similar deal this year, but this is actually kind of disappointing. More than likely just going to wait for them to drop in price rather than pre-order.

Luigi87

Ordered Dragon's Dogma from FutureShop.
CP shipped it.
It says "Item successfully delivered" however... I have received no mail at my house.

zroid

Banned
Ordered Dragon's Dogma from FutureShop.
CP shipped it.
It says "Item successfully delivered" however... I have received no mail at my house.

do you normally get mail at your doorstep? if not, look for it in the communal mailbox after the usual mail delivery time.

CP's "successfully delivered" status isn't particularly accurate

Luigi87

do you normally get mail at your doorstep? if not, look for it in the communal mailbox after the usual mail delivery time.

CP's "successfully delivered" status isn't particularly accurate

It's a house, so we only have our regular mailbox/side door (not communal box on my street).
I'm going to give it a couple of hours, but this is rather... irksome.

Posted this on RFD, but of the three games I pre-ordered last year during the E3 promo (ME3, Skyward Sword, Deus Ex AR CE), two didn't come with steelbooks and went on sale a few weeks after release, so I returned two. Only kept Deus Ex.

AAK

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/future-shop-e3-promotion-buy-3-get-1-free-xbox-days-offers-1182303/

Posted on RFD - the E3 deal this year is buy 3 get 1 free. So worse than last year's deal by 20 bucks or so, but still decent I suppose.

That's because it was easy scam the old deal. If you only wanted one game, you could buy all 3 and get the 20 dollar discount and then return the other 2 games you weren't interested in.

I assume now it's made so that you would get the game releasing last as free so that if you were ever to return one game you would lose the deal to get the free game.

zroid

Banned
It's a house, so we only have our regular mailbox/side door (not communal box on my street).
I'm going to give it a couple of hours, but this is rather... irksome.

that sucks ;_;

hope it turns up

I assume now it's made so that you would get the game releasing last as free so that if you were ever to return one game you would lose the deal to get the free game.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I doubt they are set up to be able to pull off knocking a free game from your order because you return one.

zroid

Banned
Posted this on RFD, but of the three games I pre-ordered last year during the E3 promo (ME3, Skyward Sword, Deus Ex AR CE), two didn't come with steelbooks and went on sale a few weeks after release, so I returned two. Only kept Deus Ex.

Time-warp double post?

Not something I would risk trying :p

well there isn't much harm in it, lol. unless you actually really wanted all four games in which case there was never any need to anyway.

CTE

Okay, it just got delivered.

Looking up elsewhere, it seems this is what the mail courier does when running behind schedule, scanning everything at once as "Delivered", rather than on a per delivery basis.

Yeah. Never trust CP tracking. It's not like UPS where they scan it at every point. The mail carrier has quite a bit of freedom in how they scan items out for delivery.

iphys

I hope Best Buy has the E3 $10 off deal again. Futureshop is totally ignoring 3DS owners with their $49.99 price limit.

zroid

Banned
Okay, it just got delivered.

Looking up elsewhere, it seems this is what the mail courier does when running behind schedule, scanning everything at once as "Delivered", rather than on a per delivery basis.

If that's the reason it happens, then the dudes have been behind schedule literally every time I've ever had anything delivered by CP, haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom