• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Do we even know if Best Buy will have a deal this year?

Time is running short.
Correction: I don't remember there being any advance notice last year and the FS and BB deals started in the middle of E3. E3 was June 7-9 2011 and my orders were placed on June 8th.

EDIT: I checked the old thread and I posted the deal on June 6th so I was wrong on that too but it wasn't much of a notice.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BB has $10 off E3 pre-orders plus 800RZ points (worth $10).
Ughhhh. Of course it's a better deal, except you're stuck with funny money that expires unless you do the buy/return thing.

I'm sure they planned this trying to get people to buy a BB only to hope people forget their gift certificates.

zroid

Banned
Is futureshop going to have that same deal they had last year? I saved like $100 on that.

Seems like the buy 3 get 1 free is all we're getting this time around.

Seriously hoping I can score $10 off a copy of Theatrhythm from BB. I wish they'd list the damn game already.

Ughhhh. Of course it's a better deal, except you're stuck with funny money that expires unless you do the buy/return thing.

I'm sure they planned this trying to get people to buy a BB only to hope people forget their gift certificates.

Isn't that Business 101? Add a "discount" that can only be used at their store? Free gift card, discount off your future purchase, bonus loyalty points.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Isn't that Business 101? Add a "discount" that can only be used at their store? Free gift card, discount off your future purchase, bonus loyalty points.
I know. But they're purposely making their other store's deal "worse" in order to do it.

It's like how PSN use to have 50% off games during sales, but ever since PSN+ launched, all their discounts are at most 30% for non PSN+ members.

Of course, I understand, but they're basically gimping their deals in order to push business toward a direction that benefits them.

I think this is probably why BB.ca isn't going to let you use their certs online either - to basically force people to go into the stores. I suppose it's smart business that justifies giving a 20 dollar discount. Certainly they must have seen that more people took advantage of the FS deal rather than the BB deal last year anyway.

zroid

Banned
It's like how PSN use to have 50% off games during sales, but ever since PSN+ launched, all their discounts are at most 30% for non PSN+ members.

I hate this. Goddamn Sony. At least they (somehow) made it so we don't have to pay HST anymore... which started around the same time that PS+ was introduced, iirc. Offsets it, a little.

iphys

I always assumed the reason the RZ certificates don't apply to online is because they have to pay for the free shipping when you order online, and obviously they'd rather save themselves that expense by forcing you to come to the store, although I'm sure it does help them that fewer certificates are redeemed due to the inconvenience of having to go to the store. I do so much online shopping I actually get into a bit of a panic trying to browse a store, so I always check what's in stock before I go there and get in and out as fast as I can, so they're definitely not getting any extra purchases off me by having me in the store if that's what they're thinking. Anyway, so far I've had no problem redeeming all my certificates, and they've actually given me $85 total in certificates, even though I was only supposed to earn $55: I think they accidentally doubled a few of my 800-point pre-order bonuses when they introduced the Gamers Club, lol. I love Best Buy!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I always assumed the reason the RZ certificates don't apply to online is because they have to pay for the free shipping when you order online, and obviously they'd rather save themselves that expense by forcing you to come to the store, although I'm sure it does help them that fewer certificates are redeemed due to the inconvenience of having to go to the store. I do so much online shopping I actually get into a bit of a panic trying to browse a store, so I always check what's in stock before I go there and get in and out as fast as I can, so they're definitely not getting any extra purchases off me by having me in the store if that's what they're thinking. Anyway, so far I've had no problem redeeming all my certificates, and they've actually given me $85 total in certificates, even though I was only supposed to earn $55: I think they accidentally doubled a few of my 800-point pre-order bonuses when they introduced the Gamers Club, lol. I love Best Buy!

That would all be fine except in the US, Reward Zone certs are perfectly valid for online purchases.

And since I just go into the store to buy a DVD and immediately return it so I can transfer my fake money for less-fake money (which apparently also works at Futureshop, since their gift card systems are the same), they're just making me waste my time in order to waste their customer service rep's time.

zroid

Banned
most reliable way to spend RZ certs in my experience is on $20 PSN and eShop cards. Just print off a $20 cert and exchange it for a card, no hassle. Those things (almost) never go on sale anyway, so I never feel cheated. I think I've used pretty close to half of all my certs on eShop and PSN cards.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
most reliable way to spend RZ certs in my experience is on $20 PSN and eShop cards. Just print off a $20 cert and exchange it for a card, no hassle. Those things (almost) never go on sale anyway, so I never feel cheated. I think I've used pretty close to half of all my certs on eShop and PSN cards.
I still have like 300 dollars worth of PSN money from that Walmart deal.

That turned out to be a big bust since Vita games are cheaper at retail and they never did a PSP Passport program. lol

zroid

Banned

That turned out to be a big bust since Vita games are cheaper at retail and they never did a PSP Passport program. lol

hahaha, I only bought two that time. wasn't nearly enough savings for me to pay that much in advance xD

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Twice now I've bought $150 worth of Microsoft funny money when RCSS has done their sales, and guaranteed within a month of me buying it there's some sort of free online giveaway where I get another $150 worth for free. D'oh

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Twice now I've bought $150 worth of Microsoft funny money when RCSS has done their sales, and guaranteed within a month of me buying it there's some sort of free online giveaway where I get another $150 worth for free. D'oh
Haha, I have a lot of unused Allards as well. Although at least Allards do come in handy at times.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't really related to any deals, but I was wondering if anyone knew any good video game stores in Toronto? I'm looking to try to find some older games and also trying to sell a lot of my older games, or at the very least see how much they're valued at (I have a lot of old Genesis games, like Ristar, Sonic 2-3, Streets of Rage, etc).

Any idea which are the best stores? I only know of one, Game Shack, in the Atrium on Bay.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This isn't really related to any deals, but I was wondering if anyone knew any good video game stores in Toronto? I'm looking to try to find some older games and also trying to sell a lot of my older games, or at the very least see how much they're valued at (I have a lot of old Genesis games, like Ristar, Sonic 2-3, Streets of Rage, etc).

Any idea which are the best stores? I only know of one, Game Shack, in the Atrium on Bay.

Per the Toronto-Age thread, Game Centre is regarded as 'the best' store in town (Yonge and Charles) with A&C Games having the best vintage collection. Gamerama is of poorer quality, at least customer service wise (Yonge and Eg) and Video Games Plus is a bit out of the way for most of us (Yorkdale).

But trade ins to stores will almost always be less in value than you could sell on your own online. So don't be surprised if they don't offer much. :/

If anyone has, for whatever reason, neglected to snag Shadows of the Damned, I noticed today that it's currently $14.99 at Wal-Mart! I can confirm the Dufferin Mall location in Toronto has it in stock. RUN.

Per the Toronto-Age thread, Game Centre is regarded as 'the best' store in town (Yonge and Charles) with A&C Games having the best vintage collection. Gamerama is of poorer quality, at least customer service wise (Yonge and Eg) and Video Games Plus is a bit out of the way for most of us (Yorkdale).

But trade ins to stores will almost always be less in value than you could sell on your own online. So don't be surprised if they don't offer much. :/

My vote is Game Centre, and it has two other locations besides Yonge and Charles. There's one near Danforth/Pape and another at St. Clair West/Dufferin.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My vote is Game Centre, and it has two other locations besides Yonge and Charles. There's one near Danforth/Pape and another at St. Clair West/Dufferin.

Yep. Always found the downtown one had the largest stock, but have yet to visit the St Clair location.

Another game shop is open at Bloor and Keele too, although I've yet to visit, they apparently have a decent retro game stock.

jred2k

Can anybody that's upgraded their PS3 HDD let me know if this is a good choice? Just want to make sure I'm buying something compatible and wanted to see if there are maybe better deals out there.

Fuck Canada Post. I was waiting for my copy of Redistance all day yesterday and the CP website said that it was at the local delivery centre. I check this morning and now the site say it was delivered yesterday at 9 am. I get Ito work this morning to confirm with reception that no package was delivered yesterday.

Fuck! At least I only spent $20.

Sorry Future Shop, I'm not doing your E3 deal until you switch from Canada Post.

RS4-

CP has been good to me; I guess it's because they're fairly consistent with t-f deliveries around/before 1-2pm and my box is a community one rather than straight to my door.

zroid

Banned
CP has been good to me; I guess it's because they're fairly consistent with t-f deliveries around/before 1-2pm and my box is a community one rather than straight to my door.

yeah same here. only on very rare occasions do they not deliver my FS/BB/Amazon/Chapters orders on the day after i get shipping confirmation.

Fuck Canada Post. I was waiting for my copy of Redistance all day yesterday and the CP website said that it was at the local delivery centre. I check this morning and now the site say it was delivered yesterday at 9 am. I get Ito work this morning to confirm with reception that no package was delivered yesterday.

Fuck! At least I only spent $20.

Sorry Future Shop, I'm not doing your E3 deal until you switch from Canada Post.

That's weird because all of my packages from that E3 deal came via Purolator

Fuzzy

That's weird because all of my packages from that E3 deal came via Purolator
His CP and E3 statements were about two different things. Yes E3 2011 deals were mailed out with Purolator but that was because FS was using them during the CP work stoppage and locked in all orders during that time with Purolator no matter when the shipping date was. He's talking about E3 2012 where all orders will certainly be shipped by CP.

I never have a problem with either CP or Purolator. Every time a package wasn't left from either of them they've left a pickup slip at the door for me to pick it up after 6pm. Since both of them are within 5 minutes of me it's not a problem for me to pick up my package. Only once did I have Purolator not leave a pickup slip (it was a really windy day and it probably flew away) so they called me the next day and left a message with the package number to give to the people at the depot.

Like I said in the past, both FS and BB should allow us to do in-store pickup for online pre-orders.

Canada post was on strike when the E3 stuff was all created. So even though some of the games didnt ship till way later in the year, they would still ship with Purolator.
I hate it when people call it a strike. The workers were on a rotating strike which just delayed the mail, not a full strike which would have stopped it. CP locked them out so that the Government could force them pack to work through legislation. Shitty thing to do.

His CP and E3 statements were about two different things. Yes E3 2011 deals were mailed out with Purolator but that was because FS was using them during the CP work stoppage and locked in all orders during that time with Purolator no matter when the shipping date was. He's talking about E3 2012 where all orders will certainly be shipped by CP.

I never have a problem with either CP or Purolator. Every time a package wasn't left from either of them they've left a pickup slip at the door for me to pick it up after 6pm. Since both of them are within 5 minutes of me it's not a problem for me to pick up my package. Only once did I have Purolator not leave a pickup slip (it was a really windy day and it probably flew away) so they called me the next day and left a message with the package number to give to the people at the depot.

Like I said in the past, both FS and BB should allow us to do in-store pickup for online pre-orders.

This would be brilliant.

Fuzzy

Just got the email for BB's E3 deal. Starts tomorrow and it's available in-store or online.

hJKnO.png

Since the FS one sucks (buy 3 get 1 free, essentially a savings of $15 on each $60 game) I think I'll be doing the BB one for the ones that also include the 800 RZ points. We'll see how it all shakes out.

krae_man

Just got the email for BB's E3 deal. Starts tomorrow and it's available in-store or online.

hJKnO.png

Since the FS one sucks (buy 3 get 1 free, essentially a savings of $15 on each $60 game) I think I'll be doing the BB one for the ones that also include the 800 RZ points. We'll see how it all shakes out.

The 800 points are "On select titles". The $10 off doesn't appear to have a price limit so maybe it will work better for handheld games just like last year.

Also the link is weird. it has a mix of future games and already released games.

I hate it when people call it a strike. The workers were on a rotating strike which just delayed the mail, not a full strike which would have stopped it. CP locked them out so that the Government could force them pack to work through legislation. Shitty thing to do.

Well considering our workload at Purolator basically doubled, im calling it a strike. We got fucked so god damn hard with extra freight and extra mail (mostly mail). SO FU! it was a stike and I hated going to work during that time, haha :p

edit: also! you yourself called it a rotating strike :p !

zroid

Banned
The 800 points are "On select titles". The $10 off doesn't appear to have a price limit so maybe it will work better for handheld games just like last year.

Also the link is weird. it has a mix of future games and already released games.

theatrhythm please ;-;

also, this seems to be a really great time to pre-order KH:DDD, since it qualifies for the 800RZ. i'll have to cancel the order i placed during the recent 10% sale

i think the games in that link are the same ones from last year. since the sale's not starting till tomorrow, they must have just re-used the page before updating. silly best buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom