• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

Alright, fellow residents of BC: Telus or Shaw for internet? I'm moving into a new apartment in 2 weeks and I need to get this sorted out.
I prefer Telus. Usually their entry promos are for 12 months while Shaw I notice is usually 6 months. I also think Telus usually offers faster internet for their promos than Shaw. You should be able to get internet and tv bundled for $20 or internet, tv, and home phone bundled for $30. I think Telus has a booth set up in Oakridge.

DJ_Lae

Alright, fellow residents of BC: Telus or Shaw for internet? I'm moving into a new apartment in 2 weeks and I need to get this sorted out.

Whoever has the best deal at the moment. I've switched back and forth between them two or three times in the past couple of years just because they never manage to beat the other's incentives, which amuses me as they have to pay techs to come out and plug in my cable/optik boxes each time.

Telus often has the biggest incentives with physical products, but they all require a fixed contract. Shaw has the faster speeds right now.

Tech support's been a mixed bag with both. Shaw's call center people always seemed a little grumpier on average.

Right now I'm on Telus, though if Shaw decides to offer something spectacular I'll switch.

Firestorm

Lately Telus has either not required a contract or a contract that lasts for the same amount of time as the promo. I've actually never had an issue with Telus matching Shaw's offer or extending a promo in the past 3 or so years.

Edit: never take the physical product incentives. They'll require you to be on 3 years and pay full price. Take the $10 a service promo.

Ugh, went to two future shops and their Gravity Rush stock got sold within 20 minutes. Like, literally I call in, confirm stock, get there 20 mins later and get "ohhh noooo im sorryyyyyy".

Now what do I do with FFXIII-2? =(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The 3DS E3 selection on FS is pretty crummy--no Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, or NSMB2. Pre-ordered KH and Layton and the Last Story, though. Not sure I'll keep any of them, but might as well put a hold on them anyway.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ugh, went to two future shops and their Gravity Rush stock got sold within 20 minutes. Like, literally I call in, confirm stock, get there 20 mins later and get "ohhh noooo im sorryyyyyy".

Get MGS? :(
Or hope they get more Gravity Rush before the end of the sale week.

cjkeats

When I went for MGS they were sold out and the dude there told me he could do it for when they got more in, which was later that week. I would say they'll get more gravity rush in quickly.

iphys

Ohh, tsilon.

I still cant get past the green section, lol.

On mine, I think I had to type cables to go connect cables, and then I went back to the home screen and I forget where I typed to go to next, but then I typed to read the instructions, turn on the power, and put on some VR goggles. Then it gave me a message with "animus" highlighted in yellow as the password.

For red I had a keyboard at the bottom of the contact page where you had to click the keys to mimic the pattern it showed you, and the password it gave me was GOLBEZ.

For blue I went through the video game pages and found "po" on the Pac-man page and "wer" on SMB to get power as the password.

I couldn't do yellow, because you needed to have knowledge of PlayStation games to do that one, so I did the orange one and I had to shoot 4 GL targets (2 of which were tiny, and 2 of which were larger but you had to scroll the screen sideways to find them) and it gave me the password SANOVICH or SANDVICH (couldn't tell from the font).

The annoying thing was it said it would reload the tsilon.ca page if you entered a correct password but it never did, so I wound up having to re-sign in to see if I got the keys.

krae_man

The 3DS E3 selection on FS is pretty crummy--no Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, or NSMB2. Pre-ordered KH and Layton and the Last Story, though. Not sure I'll keep any of them, but might as well put a hold on them anyway.

Yeah, I'm disappointed about that as well. Oh well $10 off from Bestbuy is good decent enough.

Yup. Talking to the guys at my local FS they said that the trade in deal has been moving copies like crazy.

krae_man

Final Preorder list:

New Super Mario Bros 2
Paper Mario 3DS
Last Guardian
Family Guy
Watch Dogs
ZombieU
RE6 Anthology
God of War Ascension
Sly Cooper
South Park
New Super Mario Bros U
Rayman Legends
Beyond Two Souls
The Last of Us
Tomb Raider
Borderlands 2
Warriors Lair
LBP Vita

Still Need:

Ratchet and Clank Collection
Super Monkey Ball Vita
Kirby 20th Anniversary Collection
Torchlight 2

That's a lot of gaming.

Was looking for a Hori Screen Protector for Vita in Toronto so I decided to check out the Game Shack website.

http://www.gameshack.ca/

Really? It's 2012.

Edit: The futureshop at Yonge and Eglinton restocked with a ton of Gravity Rush and a few MGS:HD for Vita.

Mikey Jr.

On mine, I think I had to type cables to go connect cables, and then I went back to the home screen and I forget where I typed to go to next, but then I typed to read the instructions, turn on the power, and put on some VR goggles. Then it gave me a message with "animus" highlighted in yellow as the password.

For red I had a keyboard at the bottom of the contact page where you had to click the keys to mimic the pattern it showed you, and the password it gave me was GOLBEZ.

For blue I went through the video game pages and found "po" on the Pac-man page and "wer" on SMB to get power as the password.

I couldn't do yellow, because you needed to have knowledge of PlayStation games to do that one, so I did the orange one and I had to shoot 4 GL targets (2 of which were tiny, and 2 of which were larger but you had to scroll the screen sideways to find them) and it gave me the password SANOVICH or SANDVICH (couldn't tell from the font).

The annoying thing was it said it would reload the tsilon.ca page if you entered a correct password but it never did, so I wound up having to re-sign in to see if I got the keys.

Thanks. I got all of them before. Green was the only one left. I did the whole thing. Its really not that hard. I got animus as well, but when I put it in, nothing pops up. Still grey.

So it still shows 3/4 completed. Like, I did the green one correctly I am sure, but it is not unlocking. I got animus. I also got unreality. None of them work.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Also, do one pre-order at a time.. codes error out and cause headaches when trying to checkout more than one title at a time.

Also, do one pre-order at a time.. codes error out and cause headaches when trying to checkout more than one title at a time.

yea, i just went ahead and did it one at a time. i figured it might take longer but would negate any errors and possible loss of codes.

iphys

Thanks. I got all of them before. Green was the only one left. I did the whole thing. Its really not that hard. I got animus as well, but when I put it in, nothing pops up. Still grey.

So it still shows 3/4 completed. Like, I did the green one correctly I am sure, but it is not unlocking. I got animus. I also got unreality. None of them work.

Have you tried re-signing in, because mine didn't show up either right away, and the weird thing was I entered it before blue, and then the blue key showed up before the green one ever did (not even sure if I ever saw it activated), and it wasn't till I re-signed in again after having red, blue, and orange keys showing that it gave me access to the site finally. Worst case try one of the other colours instead I guess.

cjkeats

Best buy got some stuff going on

• Buy a 3DS or Vita, get a free game (Gravity Rush with Vita, Choice of Mario game with 3DS)
  • Buy one, get 25% on any 3DS game
  • Buy one "Select" Vita game get 50% another

Not much of a choice in select vita games same as FS's buy 2, get 1.
I'm waiting for a sale on Blazblue.

Edit: 25% on 3DS, not 50%.

• Buy a 3DS or Vita, get a free game (Gravity Rush with Vita, Choice of Mario game with 3DS)
  • Buy one, get 50% on any 3DS game

The 3DS deal says 25%.

soultron

Banned

• Buy one, get 25% on any 3DS game

Edit: 25% on 3DS, not 50%.

Oh shit son. Is this in-store as well? I can finally buy a 3DS!

zroid

Banned
Free game + starter kit with Vita purchase at BB seems pretty decent. Unless you need a bigger card than 4GB.

Actually, better yet, Vita is on sale for $229.99 at Shoppers. On Sat. 16, it's a 20x points day, so if you're a points collector, that's a pretty big get. Just shy of the $85 tier.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is what I'm going for.
As someone who did this at launch, the only thing I'll say is that you'll find it impossible to spend $85-100 bucks at SDM at once with all the qualifications they have on the points. I suppose saving the points of the next console launch might be an option. lol

zroid

Banned
As someone who did this at launch, the only thing I'll say is that you'll find it impossible to spend $85-100 bucks at SDM at once with all the qualifications they have on the points. I suppose saving the points of the next console launch might be an option. lol

Luckily, we have a new console launch right around the corner ;P

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Actually, better yet, Vita is on sale for $229.99 at Shoppers. On Sat. 16, it's a 20x points day, so if you're a points collector, that's a pretty big get. Just shy of the $85 tier.

The $85 tier is $115 at a bonus redemption day, so if you play both sides you can get a Vita for $115.

zroid

Banned
My dusty Wii says hi. :(

(I'm still waiting to see if there's any upscaling or whatnot in the Wii U. I may get it just to play the two final Wii RPGs on it).

It's a good thing then that the Wii U is going to have a launch window lineup (NSMBU, Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, ZombiU, Project P-100) rivaled only by the Vita in its breadth of quality content (and there's still unannounced third party stuff, apparently). Plus, unlike the Vita, you can actually count on a continuous stream of strong first-party support. :)

The $85 tier is $115 at a bonus redemption day, so if you play both sides you can get a Vita for $115.

I've got about 55k points already, so buying a Vita now would put me over the top. Mmmm, if I can somehow manage to get a Wii U on a bonus redemption day... oh boy that'd be good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's a good thing then that the Wii U is going to have a launch window lineup (NSMBU, Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, ZombiU, Project P-100) rivaled only by the Vita in its breadth of quality content (and there's still unannounced third party stuff, apparently). Plus, unlike the Vita, you can actually count on a continuous stream of strong first-party support. :)
I'm the weirdo that is only waiting for them to announce a Kirby game before I consider picking one up for exclusive games. lol

iphys

I'm saving my Optimum points up for Wii U and maybe a netbook. I still have 140,000 after I just did a Super redemption last weekend for a shiny new 3DS. I never have a problem spending enough for their points events and redemptions with all the food they constantly put on sale and all the video games and electronics, never mind the household items I always go through.

Kazerei

Banned
Shoppers Drug Mart also sells PS Vita games and accessories, so it's fairly easy to redeem $85+ (or $115+) worth. A 16GB memory card is $60 gone already (ridiculous, I know). They had Hot Shots Golf for $30 around launch, but that may have gone back up. They also have some food and groceries.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Woah wait what? I don't understand what you said other than "you can get a Vita for $115". I am in Canada and there are Shoppers around me. How do I do this?
You buy a Vita for 225 and get nearly enough points that are worth 85-115 dollars depending on when you use them. If you use them on the right day, then technically your vita costs 110 dollars.

Shoppers Drug Mart also sells PS Vita games and accessories, so it's fairly easy to redeem $85+ worth. A 16GB memory card is $60 gone already (ridiculous, I know). They had Hot Shots Golf for $30 around launch, but that may have gone back up.
At the time of launch anyway, the 32gb cards were 85 bucks at Costco, so didn't make sense to buy a card at SDM if you were lucky enough to find a store that carried them.

You buy a Vita for 225 and get nearly enough points that are worth 85-115 dollars depending on when you use them. If you use them on the right day, then technically your vita costs 110 dollars.

Oh.... so you mean to say buy a Vita for $225 and then get $115 worth of games/accessories for free. Okay, still a good deal, but probably not something I'll jump for right now.

Kazerei

Banned
Woah wait what? I don't understand what you said other than "you can get a Vita for $115". I am in Canada and there are Shoppers stores around me. How do I do this?

Step 1) Sign up for a Shoppers Optimum card if you don't already have one.

Step 2) Saturday June 16 is a bonus points day. Purchasing a Vita at $230 will net you 46,000 Shoppers Optimum points. Try to spend an extra $20 on this day so you have over 50,000 points.

Step 3) Wait until a bonus redemption day. Redeeming those 50,000 points will give you $115 to spend in-store.

How it works:

Normally, Shoppers give you 10 points for every $1 you spend. On bonus points day, you get 20x the points.

You have to redeem the points in certain sized "chunks". See the table on the right side here

Normally, Shoppers gives you $85 for 50,000 points. On bonus redemption day, you get $115 for 50,000 points.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Are you really saving money if the stuff you buy at SDM is more expensive than at a supermarket or department store though?

God, I don't know how the extreme couponing people do it, because this stuff can be a pain.
(I suppose that's precisely why they don't let you buy giftcards with points).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom