• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiijj

So I ordered a Japanese PSN Card on Nippon Yasan and paid using Paypal debit. The shop is now asking for a photo of my passport and credit card! wtf?
I sent the scans with pretty much everything blacked out hoping it's just proof that I'm real. They replied back telling me to reveal more (eg: passport number and credit card numbers).

This is extremely sketchy. I told them to give me the code or full refund. I'm waiting to hear back from them now. Is this a typical for a shop to request this? Does PlayAsia do the same? :s

Play asia did the same, I paid via paypal and they want a passport and a credit card as well. I ordered a game and it's not even a code or anything.

Here's what they wanted:

Please provide us with the following info:

Front and back of your credit card
Photo-ID card (such as driver's license, passport) showing the same name & signature as the credit card.
Please either scan & e-mail the required documents to
billing@play-asia.com

or fax the required documents to
[+852] 3145 0061 (Hong Kong).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Play asia did the same, I paid via paypal and they want a passport and a credit card as well.
I used Japan Codes and they asked for ID and proof of a game that I was using the credit for.

I think what's happening is that people were doing chargebacks... so I dunno, maybe by adding this extra step, they are hoping to scare off people from trying to scam them.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Guys! Dors best buy match amazon? Until dawn is $20 on amazon
If you get an anal CSR, they'll say that it's not free shipping or whatever so they won't do it. But generally they should.

(I wonder if CSRs are docked pay for every price match they give out or something)

UberTag

https://www.amazon.ca/video-games-h...HMRTW6J&pf_rd_i=9291974011&pf_rd_p=2519769562

Wondering is it's safe to assume that this will be the only deal?

Assuming new games get added think this could work to a lot of our benefits. Especially if you have many games still coming from last year.
It'll work amazing for the holdovers. Not so much for new orders as we're not likely to see much in the way of "after the fact price drops less 30%" beyond the E3 stretch.

Still good enough for me, though.

It'll work amazing for the holdovers. Not so much for new orders as we're not likely to see much in the way of "after the fact price drops less 30%" beyond the E3 stretch.

Still good enough for me, though.

True enough. I guess it works especially well for me as i basically pre ordered everything last year. Still have 15+ games from last years order coming. Assuming more games get added it'll more then make up for losing out on that possibility this year.

FrsDvl

Not surprised if they're just dropping 30$ rather than offering 30%, not with all the loopholes and people getting 60% off and stuff. Buy hey 30$ off is more than 30% off, and I'll take it.

killroy87

$30 off, eh? Can't complain about that! And yeah, this will hopefully work wonders if some of last year's games drop in price too.

I noticed it says "up to $30 off", which I assume means full price games are $30 off, and the discount is less for like 3DS/budget games.

$30 off an $80 game is closer to 40% off. This is actually a much better deal.

It's funny that to start this generation I wanted to go all digital. And then the dollar tanked and it's so much cheaper to go physical. At least if you plan ahead/want games day 1. Seems incredibly backwards. But here we are.

If it will be the full promo, people who already preordered tons of stuff at 30% will get games like Kingdom Hearts 3, Nier, Horizon, Mass Effect, Zelda and more for 35$+ taxes. Great for them, sucks for people who don't order games they know won't be out for a long time.

killroy87

So people who already preordered tons of stuff at 30% will get games like Kingdom Hearts 3, Nier, Horizon, Mass Effect, Zelda and more for 35$+ taxes. Great for them, sucks for people who don't order games they know won't be out for a long time.

Considering how little stakes there are in preordering, and the fact that Canadian game prices were rising incredibly quickly last year, people really should start preordering anything they're interested in.

If it will be the full promo, people who already preordered tons of stuff at 30% will get games like Kingdom Hearts 3, Nier, Horizon, Mass Effect, Zelda and more for 35$+ taxes. Great for them, sucks for people who don't order games they know won't be out for a long time.

In 2020 when Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out I'll be paying 35+Tax and the suckers will be paying 109.99!

Kidding. (Hopefully)

Considering how little stakes there are in preordering, and the fact that Canadian game prices were rising incredibly quickly last year, people really should start preordering anything they're interested in.

Yea! I preordered allll the things hoping for random price drops. I don't think that what is happening was even in our wildest hopes.

I had a lot of games preordered last year too. For some reason I cancelled all of them except ghost recon. Today I see I should have kept my gears 4 preorder. 56 bucks ain't bad but 39 bucks after taxes is better. Oh well.

Audette

Yeah I jumped on that 30$ off FFXV. I've been so broke this year I think that was the best Deal I'll get. Totalled 55ish accounting for BC taxes and the free shipping.

Stage On

Pokemon dropped to $49.99. Guess that's the "Savings" we get?

They better not use that "drop" as an excuse not to have the 30% off apply if they are doing that since the $60 price point was a placeholder in the first place and it should have been $49.99 from the start

Sealtest

So Pokemon was just added to that E3 save $30 amazon page so maybe it'll get more of a drop, I doubt it will though since they're using that "Hiding the price because it's lower then MSRP"

So with Amazon no longer giving % off during E3 Canadians are about 2 get screwed because of placeholders.

MarkusRJR

Every game I want to pre-order is either on sale for $10 off (Pokémon) or outright not included (Paper Mario and Tokyo Mirage Sessions). Pokémon's $60 price is placeholder too, so it's probably no discount at all.

Kind of lame... :(

Hedgey

Every game I want to pre-order is either on sale for $10 off (Pokémon) or outright not included (Paper Mario and Tokyo Mirage Sessions). Pokémon's $60 price is placeholder too, so it's probably no discount at all.

Kind of lame... :(

Very early into the sale, sir. I'm sure they will be discounting more games as we get into E3.

So if that's all BB is offering, does that mean Amazon.ca is the winner this year?

acZuaEA.png

So the Amazon deal is $30 off select preorders? Okay. It's worked out for me so far but I imagine the selection won't be as good overall.

univbee

So I ordered a Japanese PSN Card on Nippon Yasan and paid using Paypal debit. The shop is now asking for a photo of my passport and credit card! wtf?
I sent the scans with pretty much everything blacked out hoping it's just proof that I'm real. They replied back telling me to reveal more (eg: passport number and credit card numbers).

This is extremely sketchy. I told them to give me the code or full refund. I'm waiting to hear back from them now. Is this a typical for a shop to request this? Does PlayAsia do the same? :s

Japan implemented some anti-money laundering laws which stupidly require many businesses, including for people buying cheap video games, to get official documentation for anyone they do business with. Yes it's stupid, and the store isn't happy about it either, but they don't have any real say in the matter.

Guys it's probably not the amazon sale. They are clearly just matching wal-mart(with the exact same selection) for now(like pokemon for the real MSRP...).

Who knows if they'll bother doing something else though... I'm fine with the current promo if they add a bunch of games themselves without just matching wal-mart and their most likely limited selection.

Stat!

Is it worth it to pre-order those games off of Amazon right now or wait till e3 sale with 30% off (if 30% off exists?

Is it worth it to pre-order those games off of Amazon right now or wait till e3 sale with 30% off (if 30% off exists?

Preorder now. We don't know if those prices will be available next week and they are better than 30% off.

If they are available and you can add the 30% off to them next week you can alwaysorder them again with the discount.

Still holding out hope that this is not the actual E3 deal, because if it is it's incredibly disappointing. $30 off is great, but to only get it on a handful of titles is awful. With the exception of Pokemon (whose discount sucks anyways), these are all titles that will drop in price/go on sale after release. The big reason why the E3 pre-orders have always been so good is because they applied to nearly everything, including the niche titles that never seem to go on sale or go out of print very quickly.

Stat!

Preorder now. We don't know if those prices will be available next week and they are better than 30% off.

If they are available and you can add the 30% off to them next week you can alwaysorder them again with the discount.

Done, just was curious in case 30% off and then these prices drop again. More of a risk/reward type thing to get these in at $50?

Done, just was curious in case 30% off and then these prices drop again. More of a risk/reward type thing to get these in at $50?

At Amazon there is zero risk. It's easy to cancel and just reorder if you see a better deal. Also, their price guarantee keeps you safe if the base price drops further for some reason.

If you see a good price you should always jump on it. If you see a better deal later just do what you need to do to get that better deal. If you're unsure, ask here.

What risk? If Amazon raises the price again for the 30% promo/doesn't have the promo, keep the pre-order. If they keep the $50 price and stack the 30% on top, place a new pre-order and cancel your current one. You lose nothing either way.

khaaan

On the bright side, since the deals suck* I wont be pre-ordering which means savings by not pre-ordering things just cause they're on sale.

*Pokemon is the only thing I want currently from Amazon

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
iirc, in past years Amazon and Best Buy usually has at least one more 20% sale before the end of the year. If Pokemon gets no discount for the E3 promotion, I'm just going to wait.

Still holding out hope that this is not the actual E3 deal, because if it is it's incredibly disappointing. $30 off is great, but to only get it on a handful of titles is awful. With the exception of Pokemon (whose discount sucks anyways), these are all titles that will drop in price/go on sale after release. The big reason why the E3 pre-orders have always been so good is because they applied to nearly everything, including the niche titles that never seem to go on sale or go out of print very quickly.

I'm hopeful that this promo will apply to everything still but just be scaled. So maybe every game that has an MSRP of 79.99 gets $30 off and as the MSRP drops the discounts drop accordingly. I would still be okay with this if it includes everything.

I'm hopeful that this promo will apply to everything still but just be scaled. So maybe every game that has an MSRP of 79.99 gets $30 off and as the MSRP drops the discounts drop accordingly. I would still be okay with this if it includes everything.

That would be great! Like the Future Shop promos of old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom