• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stat!

What risk? If Amazon raises the price again for the 30% promo/doesn't have the promo, keep the pre-order. If they keep the $50 price and stack the 30% on top, place a new pre-order and cancel your current one. You lose nothing either way.

Yeah like the below scenario. Like would it be better to get the 30% of at the full price in case the price goes back to $50 (then getting the game for like $35) then going in right now which is $50 flat.

I'm hopeful that this promo will apply to everything still but just be scaled. So maybe every game that has an MSRP of 79.99 gets $30 off and as the MSRP drops the discounts drop accordingly. I would still be okay with this if it includes everything.

how does preordering work from amazon work? when is the latest i can cancel? tempted by the deals

You can cancel anytime up until the game is shipping. I have cancelled a couple days before release and been fine before. I would say leaving a week gap between your decision and the release of an item would be safe window.

You can preorder again and not cancel your previous order just to see what ends up being the better deal in the end close to release.

I grabbed Battlefield 1 for $49.99, I don't expect it will go lower than that!

Yeah I would like to grab BF1 but I think ill wait for the E3 sale to get going before placing an order so I dont end up with a bunch of small item orders. Hopefully the price doesnt change for some reason...

You can cancel anytime up until the game is shipping. I have cancelled a couple days before release and been fine before. I would say leaving a week gap between your decision and the release of an item would be safe window.

cool rather preorder now and makeup my mind later than having to pay 90$ a game

sh1fty

This is what I'm seeing currently (and like others said, this might not be the official E3 sale):

Pre Orders
Battlefield 1 - $49.96
Watch Dogs 2 - $49.96
FFXV - $49.96
Ghost Recon Wildlands - $49.96
Gears of War 4 - $49.96

Stuff Already Out
Far Cry 4 - $12.95
Until Dawn - $19.99
Bloodborne - $19.99
The Division - $49.96
Far Cry Primal - $49.96

univbee

That and you can't use them online which irks me to no end.

Another fun limitation which is a pain in the ass is that the pre-tax amount has to exactly meet or exceed the certificate, so if you have a $20 certificate you can't use it at all to buy an item which is $19.99 without buying something else too.

kevin1025

Banned
This is what I'm seeing currently (and like others said, this might not be the official E3 sale):

Pre Orders
Battlefield 1 - $49.96
Watch Dogs 2 - $49.96
FFXV - $49.96
Ghost Recon Wildlands - $49.96
Gears of War 4 - $49.96

Stuff Already Out
Far Cry 4 - $12.95
Until Dawn - $19.99
Bloodborne - $19.99
The Division - $49.96
Far Cry Primal - $49.96

I think we're still getting an E3 deal, likely to start Sunday night after Bethesda or during Monday (Amazon's E3 page mentions "deals all week long", but that could be for things already released). These prices are awesome, though, and might be worth snagging now rather than waiting for the deal. You're getting 38% rather than the potential 20-30%. Plus if there's a better deal, at least you had these pre-ordered as a back-up. Never a bad thing to be careful.

No_Style

Another fun limitation which is a pain in the ass is that the pre-tax amount has to exactly meet or exceed the certificate, so if you have a $20 certificate you can't use it at all to buy an item which is $19.99 without buying something else too.

Yes. I forgot about that too. I held out hope for the longest time that they'll revamp that program but nada. Such poop.

killroy87

The only benefit I can possibly see form best Buy's deal is that, from what I gather, the deal should also apply to collectors editions and what not. I don't see any rules & regulations saying otherwise (doesn't mean they don't exist)

superbad

That's not correct. RZ certs are now applied as a payment method after the purchase is totaled. They're no longer applied as a pre-tax discount. As long as the purchase, with tax, is greater than your certificate, you're good.

It's been this way for at least a year.

univbee

That's not correct. RZ certs are now applied as a payment method after the purchase is totaled. They're no longer applied as a pre-tax discount. As long as the purchase, with tax, is greater than your certificate, you're good.

It's been this way for at least a year.

Good news if true. I got denied for the reason I stated but it may have been just over a year ago.

Yeah like the below scenario. Like would it be better to get the 30% of at the full price in case the price goes back to $50 (then getting the game for like $35) then going in right now which is $50 flat.

Oh, I see, you're worried about future price drops. In that case, pre-order now at $50, then if Amazon.ca does the 30% promo pre-order again with the promo, and keep both around until close to release. If the price drops in the interim, your 30% off pre-order will benefit and you can cancel the $50 one if the price after discount is less. If the price doesn't drop, cancel the 30% off pre-order instead. It is riskier because you have to keep an eye on your pre-orders to make sure you don't mistakenly get two copies (and if Amazon requires 2+ games to qualify for the 30% off, you might be in a position where you can't cancel one game without losing the promo), but it's really no big deal if you're paying attention.

And if that all sounds like way too much work, just pre-order now at $50 and stop worrying about it. It's better than 30% off and unless you get a freak price drop like Xenoblade Chronicles X at $17, the promo is unlikely to save you more than a few bucks anyways. I'm not really losing any sleep over not pre-ordering Final Fantasy XV through Amazon last year because it might have saved me five bucks off my BB pre-order.

LakeEarth

Sorry to be off topic, but do you guys know where I can buy U.S. International stamps in Canada? I thought a post office in a Shoppers would have them, but apparently they don't carry them.

I need them for wedding invitations, i.e. inside the envelope is a response envelope with a stamp already on there. I want my U.S. guests to be able to respond back without having to buy their own stamp.

killroy87

I have a super dumb question. I'm travelling to LA for work next week, and I want to get a travel pack for my phone. Can I just buy it online now? Do I need to like set specific dates for when I want it to be valid, or will it just know that I bought it when I enter US roaming?

Sorry to be off topic, but do you guys know where I can buy U.S. International stamps in Canada? I thought a post office in a Shoppers would have them, but apparently they don't carry them.

I need them for wedding invitations, i.e. inside the envelope is a response envelope with a stamp already on there. I want my U.S. guests to be able to respond back without having to buy their own stamp.

That's a good question, you may want to just include a 1$ USD bill? :p

Really? What's the 379? Damn. This is the thing I hate with these gpus. So many pricing.

The basic problem is it's another paper launch. Supplies are heavily constrained so Nvidia is selling stock cards (even through 3rd parties) and charging extra for them.

So we basically have two tiers:
- Founders Edition (AKA Stock Cooling AKA Reference card): $449 USD
- Regular Card (3rd party models with custom coolers): $379+ USD

There's no official word on when the custom cards are available but as long as things are supply constrained there is no price pressure to drop to $379

$379 will never happen. It was a lie. Custom coolers are already being priced at roughly FE prices.

I think lie might be too strong. There are some GTX 1080s that are near the "US MSRP" price of $599 (e.g. this at $619, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487246&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-Veeralava%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6202798&SID=).

I believe some manufacturers have already announced 1080s that will retail for $599 USD, I'd have to check where I read that, either PC Per or Tech Report.

So I think there will be some 1070s near $379 USD, but probably not for a while. And the US/CAD conversion is normally not very favourable for us.

Those 1070 prices make me happy I got my 970 for $400 so recently. I don't feel as bad now, lol.

[also crazy people on Kijiji and eBay are selling their 970s for like $200. People are underselling themselves, take advantage of that if you're okay with used (I'm not personally for GPUs, my 970 is new)]

TheExodu5

Banned
Those 1070 prices make me happy I got my 970 for $400 so recently. I don't feel as bad now, lol.

[also crazy people on Kijiji and eBay are selling their 970s for like $200. People are underselling themselves, take advantage of that if you're okay with used (I'm not personally for GPUs, my 970 is new)]

I would snatch up a 970 at $200 in a heartbeat. People in Ottawa are selling them at $350+

Kyolux

I'm refreshing this thread way too much at work for them Amazon E3 deals.

Unless some more price matching happens.. I wouldn't expect anything until Sunday or Monday.

Also, got an email from Best Buy, they got a bunch of deals on currently out games and accessories.

I'm refreshing a whole bunch too

etta

my hard graphic balls
I just woke up, tried to understand what's going on, gonna need some coffee. Can someone please quikcly explain how the new Amazon E3 works? I'm seeing people getting Gears 4 a d BF1 for $35?!?!

I just woke up, tried to understand what's going on, gonna need some coffee. Can someone please quikcly explain how the new Amazon E3 works? I'm seeing people getting Gears 4 a d BF1 for $35?!?!

Not BF1 for $35. Amazon has priced matched certain titles that Walmart has available for $49.99.

If you had one of those games already preordered from last year's 30% off deals you would be getting it for the new low price of $35.

Games included:
Battlefield 1
Gears 4
Watch Dogs 2
Ghost Recon
Final Fantasy XV

They are all $49.99 on Amazon right now. Go get em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom