• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 7: More Shipping Talk than Anime & TV GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazon has a 5% off books promotion going on.

KeijiInafune.jpg

Ondore

Warning: Purolator rant incoming. I need to vent. And no, guy who posts on GAF, you can't help me.

---

So I had 7th Dragon ship out a week ago (11th) and it was set to be delivered on Thursday. Of course, it never said this until Thursday afternoon, and instead of "returning to local facility" as I expected, it said "Resolution required". I call them, wait on hold for over an hour, and finally tell them to redirect it to the facility I know from work.

I get the call Friday that it's ready for pickup, and go Saturday morning (stupidly early, because the hours are 9-12). I show up, and they spend an hour looking for the package in the back before saying "it's on the truck with a bunch of other stuff, we'll send it out Monday". Monday comes, I get a phone call, turns out it was in the back behind a box they didn't think to move. They swear it's going to be delivered today, and I even give my phone number because my apartment buzzer's out for all this.

I check the tracking today... "The shipment is delayed due to delay in transit" and it's sitting at the sort facility. WHAT THE FUCK.

Forget calling CS, I'll never get through. Live chat is a nightmare.

Luigi87

^
Yeah I've had package that was supposed to be delivered on the 12th switch to Estimate Not Available and hasn't moved from Purolator's Toronto Sort Facility since the 11th.
... I live in Hamilton and it originally shipped from Mississauga, (which is like a 25 minute drive, lol) and now I've had them open a case regarding it...

CazTGG

Holy crap, the GTX 1060 is $450 here??

You can get a 1070 for $530 if it ever goes in stock. Who would buy a 1060 at that price? You'd have to be really impatient to do that.

Yeah, it's pretty pricey, the Founder's Edition looks to cost quite a bit too given the international shipping fees. That said, it's a shame that it's sold out nearly everywhere where it's reasonably price like Newegg, I really need to replace my (likely) broken 760.

^
Yeah I've had package that was supposed to be delivered on the 12th switch to Estimate Not Available and hasn't moved from Purolator's Toronto Sort Facility since the 11th.

I'm in a very similar situation as well. My package shipped out on the 12th and had a guaranteed delivery date of the 15th (est. Delivery from tracking was the 14th). The package arrived at the Toronto sorting facility on the 12th and hasn't moved. Customer service can't help, and I'm tempted to contact Amazon to see if they are able to help at all (my guess is no).

The source sent me two copies of each game I ordered.purolator was here last week, and again today while I'm at home for lunch break. I don't need two copies of God of war 3 remaster and monopoly lol.

frequency

My Purolator shipment is still sitting on "Shipping Label Created".

I hope BestBuy switches back to Canada Post soon. Purolator is butts.

RS4-

I just want these fuckers to release EASHL on its own. I don't give a fuck about the other modes because they're terrible. If it isn't the menu, it's the AI, if it isn't the AI, it's the exploits, on and on.

I'll gladly pay 20 or 30 for it.

Ventara

I don't know why, but I've never had any trouble with Purolator for a long time. I think it's because I got that sticker that substitutes for a signature (even though I don't have it stuck up somewhere), so they just leave my packages at my door if I'm not home.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know why, but I've never had any trouble with Purolator for a long time. I think it's because I got that sticker that substitutes for a signature (even though I don't have it stuck up somewhere), so they just leave my packages at my door if I'm not home.
If you live in a house, it's almost mandatory to get these for all the couriers unless you stay at home all day.

I like how the idea of retail competition is now about who can be the worst at shipping things.

"Oh, Best Buy won't drop ship items to you? We at Amazon can beat that--week-late preorders!"
"Oh yeah, Amazon? Best Buy will now delay a quarter of your packages with Purolator!"
"Screw you, Best Buy! Amazon is now hiring incontinent people to literally shit all over your packages before we send them out two months after the estimated shipping date!"

etc. etc.

I haven't actually ordered or received any games in over a month and have not had to worry about shipping issues at all

Da Fro

But other people are still using Canada Post.
Like Amazon and Walmart.

Didn't they already say there won't be a lockout or a strike? Or is that not reliable and there still might be a lockout or strike?

It's still possible. Canada Post workers haven't got an update since last week.

Vamphuntr

I like how the idea of retail competition is now about who can be the worst at shipping things.

"Oh, Best Buy won't drop ship items to you? We at Amazon can beat that--week-late preorders!"
"Oh yeah, Amazon? Best Buy will now delay a quarter of your packages with Purolator!"
"Screw you, Best Buy! Amazon is now hiring incontinent people to literally shit all over your packages before we send them out two months after the estimated shipping date!"

etc. etc.

I haven't actually ordered or received any games in over a month and have not had to worry about shipping issues at all

It's not that big of mystery. Once you get rid off the competition you don't really have to give a good service anymore. People are conditioned to use Amazon or BB instead of going into a store or buying from smaller competitors because they were good to them in the past.

Kieli

I'm surprised the GTX 1060 and GTX 1070 are selling out. Are they really that good?

I've read a handful of reviews and the performance increases are alright given 2 years and die shrink, but all the prices have moved up a tier as well.

Edit: That is to say, GTX 1060 performs at GTX 980 level for GTX 970 prices. Not the most exciting thing in the world.

I'm surprised the GTX 1060 and GTX 1070 are selling out. Are they really that good?

I've read a handful of reviews and the performance increases are alright given 2 years and die shrink, but all the prices have moved up a tier as well.

Edit: That is to say, GTX 1060 performs at GTX 980 level for GTX 970 prices. Not the most exciting thing in the world.

Well, the 1070 is pretty great, I'd say. 550-600 CAD for 980 ti performance or better is pretty good.

1060 is a bit enhh. If someone were willing to pay that price I'd say to either pay less and get a 480, or pay a bit more and get a 1070.

Does anyone know if Amazon is currently using Canada Post for returns?

I got a 3-disc blu-ray today that's missing discs 1 and 2, so yeah, its gotta go back :(

Markers won't go bad if left unopened and unused, right? So long as they don't sit for years, I mean.

Walmart has a great sale on Sharpies, BIC Mark Its, etc. and I'm thinking about stocking up because I'm using them a lot for colouring and always worry about running out.

SickBoy

To me, with the Canadian prices what they seem to be, it seems like the 1060 might be the better option than the 480.

It seems like the 1060 on the whole has the advantage in more areas than it trails the 480 (including power consumption) and the prices here are virtually the same.

For me it's a moot question because while I'm always kicking tires on gaming PCs, I think I'm still at the window-shopping phase (and I don't really need to add another gaming platform to increase my backlog).

Can someone explain to me why there are different manufacturers of the same cards and how I'm supposed to tell what the differences are?

About to build a gaming PC and that's just 1 of a million questions...

There's not a ton of difference for the most part. The only difference cooler/fans that are on the card and how much that it's factory overclocked. This can mean some cards are smaller or larger than the other, but they are fundamentally the same card.

Really, you can't go wrong with any of them. Just get any manufacturer card if you don't want to think about it, or just ask what people this is best (EVGA, ASUS, and MSI are my usual go-tos). They're all good and they're all a big improvement on the base model with the stock fan.

sikkinixx

Markers won't go bad if left unopened and unused, right? So long as they don't sit for years, I mean.

Walmart has a great sale on Sharpies, BIC Mark Its, etc. and I'm thinking about stocking up because I'm using them a lot for colouring and always worry about running out.

I've had Sharpies for about 6 years now and give them a shake before I use them without an issues. I'm down to my last couple though :9

CazTGG

GPU prices are completely messed up right now: A brand new (i.e. not refurbished) 970 can cost between $390 - $530 for the card alone, yet the newly launched 1060 can cost somewhere in the range of $325 - $430 (Going off of Newegg's price since they're the lowest of all the retailers who are selling/sold them). Sure, it's not available since it sold out so quickly, but they launched at a lower price than the former card. What's the point of buying a graphics card that's more expensive and will perform less for a given game or task?

joms5

There's not a ton of difference for the most part. The only difference cooler/fans that are on the card and how much that it's factory overclocked. This can mean some cards are smaller or larger than the other, but they are fundamentally the same card.

Really, you can't go wrong with any of them. Just get any manufacturer card if you don't want to think about it, or just ask what people this is best (EVGA, ASUS, and MSI are my usual go-tos). They're all good and they're all a big improvement on the base model with the stock fan.

To add to this, you might want to look into what the different warranty policies are from the different manufacturers. Not to mention how their customer support is. I've always stuck with EVGA and Asus.

Might also want to check to see what output options are on the cards. Some will offer multiple HDMI or multiple DVI while other will offer a combination of both. If that sort of stuff matters to you.

RS4-

If you upgrade every year, then maybe the 1060. If it's every 2 years or so, then probably the 480. Freesync/Async, Vulkan and the possibly the extra ram are going to be good things.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

F4r0_Atak

Am I the only one who had problems trying to pre-order any of the PLAY 2016 games on the PS4 PSN store?

When I tried to confirm the pre-order of Abzu, they asked for my password like usual but then something happened... a second "Enter your password" window appeared. There was no error notification and no "wrong password" message either. It's only when I tried to enter my password a second time that the message popped up. At first, I found this situation particularly odd as I made a purchase earlier today. To make sure that my password was okay I tried to purchase something else small and cheap, like a dynamic theme, to figure out what happened when I tried to pre-order the PLAY 2016 games. My password went through only once... and the purchase was confirmed in seconds.

When I tried to confirm the pre-order of Abzu or Bound (haven't tried the others), my password went through the first time no problem, but failed when I entered my password in that second window. I had to remove the "Require your password at checkout" for my pre-orders to finally be confirmed.

Ventara

Guys, I need something on Amazon that's at least $1.02 to get free shipping. Any recommendations? Bonus points if it's something useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom