• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Candy bags containing 9/11 'toy' pulled from shelves

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,130375,00.html

1_21_911_toy.jpg

MIAMI — Small toys showing an airplane flying into the World Trade Center were packed inside more than 14,000 bags of candy and sent to small groceries around the country before being recalled.

Lisy Corp. , the wholesaler that distributed the candy, said Friday that the toys were purchased in bulk from a Miami-based import company.

The toys came in an assortment purchased sight unseen from L&M Import in Miami and included the toys depicting the Sept. 11, 2001, attack on the twin towers, whistles and other small toys, said Luis Pedron, Lisy's national sales manager. The invoice said the toy was a plastic swing set.

"I hate to blame the importer. He probably did not know what he was getting. He brings them in 40-foot containers. But whoever made it knew exactly what they were making," Pedron said.

Pedron said Lisy did not notice the small plastic figurines until two people complained, but there is no mistaking what the toys represent: At the bottom of each is the product number 9011.

darscot

I'm sure it was a cultural or translation error. The result was not the intent. It's actualyl pretty funny. In a miss translation sense.

Justin85

Wow, that's tasteless, yet I wish I had one.

Another 9/11 product story (kind of):
My mom works for an optometrist, and they had just put out a display for flexon that showed a large building bending to allow for an incoming airplane to pass by without contact. The slogan is "If only all metal were flexon". Needless to say after September 11th they took it down, but it now resides in my computer room.

The day after 9/11, I remember seeing video of Palestinians celebrating in the streets, with people tossing candy to the dancing children, so I'm sure there are parts of the world where a toy like this would be a big hit.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Ooh it comes in other colors.

I have seen pleanty of tacky and tasteless grabs at cash by people peddling 9-11 products. It is funny how the reaction seems to be different, I assume, because it came from somewhere else.

If it was "Never Forget - The Candy!" would they have pulled it? Probably, but I wonder a little bit.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I remember there was this dude on campus selling "9/11 we will never forget' bumper stickers for 5 bucks each. I went off on him for pretending to care in order to make money.. if he was selling them at cost it would be one thing...

Justin85 said:
My mom works for an optometrist, and they had just put out a display for flexon that showed a large building bending to allow for an incoming airplane to pass by without contact. The slogan is "If only all metal were flexon". Needless to say after September 11th they took it down, but it now resides in my computer room.

lowtaste1.jpg

aoi tsuki

Yeah, i busted out laughing until i thought about the thousands that died in the crashes, the jobs lost, and the continuing war which erupted immediately after, which continues to claim more lives.

i was working at Gamestop around the time, and i remember coming in the next day, the manager had pulled the boxes of Red Alert 2 because, well...

ra2box_0002b.jpg

aoi tsuki said:
Yeah, i busted out laughing until i thought about the thousands that died in the crashes, the jobs lost, and the continuing war which erupted immediately after, which continues to claim more lives.

i was working at Gamestop around the time, and i remember coming in the next day, the manager had pulled the boxes of Red Alert 2 because, well...

ra2box_0002b.jpg

nope still funny

Tenguman

http://www.wftv.com/news/3684494/detail.html

Lisy says they bought the toys, sight unseen, from L and M Import/Export of Miami. We talked to L and M and they say they have no problem at all with the toy and don't consider it offensive at all.

We even pointed out to the import company that every single toy has a stock number on the front that reads "9011." L and M Imports didn't find it all coincidental and said it's just a toy. Asked if they'd talk on camera, they said there is nothing to talk about.

Jonny said:
you are so worthless.

ohh please, it was a horrible tragic sad thing that all those people died. Yes. But its still amusing that a toy depicting the event managed to even make it into shops. I guess because I'm not American i'm not as offended or something. I guess its my sometimes black sense of humour coming through. I apologise if I caused offence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom