• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canelo devastating 6th Round K.O Amir Khan

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmag

Too much weight discrepancy with Triple G and Mayweather.

Too be fair to Mayweather, there's no way he should be taking that fight. Mayweather is maxed out on weight at light middleweight, and GGG is naturally a bit bigger than middleweight.

Even if Mayweather was in his prime, there's just too much of a differential for a clean fight.

Why is everyone acting like he died and stuff ... didn't seem that shocking even in real time, just a nice punch and a KO.

Maybe I'm too used to MMA at this point.

Why is everyone acting like he died and stuff ... didn't seem that shocking even in real time, just a nice punch and a KO.

Maybe I'm too used to MMA at this point.

I'm with you in following MMA for a while now, but Khan was out for a long time. Usually someone who is KO'ed is out for a few seconds. Khan seemed to be out for several minutes.

You have to give respect to both of them, pretty brave of Khan to fight Canelo when most boxers take the easy route and never really test themselves or take big risks. That punch was devastating though, and it was nice to see Canelo was the first person there to see if he was alright, he didn't prance around like a big headed ass like a lot of other boxers would.

he has the middle weight title fights above light middleweight(155) and just fought a welterweight lol

Right, he's a middleweight and has fought proper middleweights. Not sure what that guy was on about. I do agree that this was a mismatch of epic proportions. Fight should have never been made, IMO. Weight classes exist for a reason.

Khan's hand-speed can trouble anyone, but he's not as slippery as someone like Mayweather. He should really try to avoid the heavy hitters.

Ensirius

What a humble man, even went up to check on him to see if he was ok. We need more people like that in combat sports, but yeah that was a nice fucking shot by Canelo. Definitely was expecting some sort of KO in the match but nothing of that caliber.

*cough*unlike Maywather*cough*

pager99

Mayweather always drops the act after the fight.
"He's a true champion, he's a helluva a fighter".
So I don't know what you're whistling about.
Is there a thread discussing the Floyd vs conor fight because it looks like it could be happening

If you look at his right side you can see heavy bruising from Canelo's body shots. There's this disconnect with Canelo's in which his power maybe overestimated but his boxing ability it's underestimated.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Glad we finally have some exciting boxers lately. GGG V. Canelo needs to happen. I'm hoping for a war of Gatti V. Ward scale but we shall see, don't get many fights like that these days in boxing.

studyguy

Golden Boy still has a ton of mileage to get out of Canelo. Oscar won't feed his boy to the wolves just yet w GGG.

As much as I like GGG, Canelo doesn't need this as bad as GGG does. Also this KO was way more brutal than the Kirkland KO simply due to how Khan landed. Scary shit.

Kirkland Canelo for comparison
FearfulVeneratedAmericanbobtail.gif

Need to watch this fight. Have read that Kahn was ahead on points up to this point.

Absolutely not. Canelo was winning easily from round 3 onwards. It was only a matter of time before the KO would come.

He had to be dazed already, he dropped his hands, didn't throw a punch. Didn't protect himself at all.

It was a great feint.

we need ggg vs canelo, it would be crazy

GGG is the mandatory opponent. It will happen.

studyguy

Eh Khan was doing fine up till the 4th. I'd throw Canelo a bone for thr 3rd maybe but when Khan gassed out it was readily apparent. Canelo was like a bear trying to swat a fly for the first 3.

Heavy hands and feet looked awful since Khan just danced away before he could cut the ring. Was exciting for a bit since the power difference was so readily apparent from the start. Khan was out boxing the fuck out of Canelo anyway you cut it though even as a counter puncher he was getting demolished before Khan gassed. Shit was inevitable though, no way Khan would have finished as he started with how hard he was going in.

GGG would eat Canelo alive likely.

Eh Khan was doing fine up till the 4th. I'd throw Canelo a bone for thr 3rd maybe but when Khan gassed out it was readily apparent. Canelo was like a bear trying to swat a fly for the first 3.

Heavy hands and feet looked awful since Khan just danced away before he could cut the ring. Was exciting for a bit since the power difference was so readily apparent from the start. Khan was out boxing the fuck out of Canelo anyway you cut it though even as a counter puncher he was getting demolished before Khan gassed. Shit was inevitable though, no way Khan would have finished as he started with how hard he was going in.

You don't know what you're talking about. The reason why Khan "gassed" it's called body shots. Look at the bruising on his body, he was getting wrecked with body shots specially during and after the 3rd round. Everybody has a good cardio until they get the air knocked out at this level.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Need to watch this fight. Have read that Kahn was ahead on points up to this point.

He was but it was clear he couldn't keep that up for enough rounds and would eventually end up opened to be knocked out.

While all of is true and I agree with everything you said, that shot would've dropped pretty much anyone.
Can't blame it on his weak chin (which again, I'm not saying that he doesn't have).

But the thing is another fighter wouldn't necessarily put themselves in that position. The idea a fast fighter could keep up without eventually getting knocked out was kind of silly.

Canelo was landing more than Khan starting from round 3. The first two rounds were clearly won by Khan though.

studyguy

You don't know what you're talking about. The reason why Khan "gassed" it's called body shots. Look at the bruising on his body, he was getting wrecked with body shots specially during and after the 3rd round. Everybody has a good cardio until they get the air knocked out at this level.

No doubt I didn't say anything against the point and fully expected the outcome if you wanna check the boxing ot thread. The point was that Canelo 1:1 had nothing on Khan even if they call him a counter puncher for a good minute till Khan's inevitable slow down. Dude was, has and will probably always be a glass chin.

No doubt I didn't say anything against the point and fully expected the outcome if you wanna check the boxing ot thread. The point was that Canelo 1:1 had nothing on Khan even if they call him a counter puncher for a good minute till Khan's inevitable slow down. Dude was, has and will probably always be a glass chin.

It was definitely not because of his chin he went down from that punch. Not many would be able to take that shot.

I don't see why body shots and timing shots isn't part of the 1:1 face off. Remember that Boxers have 12 rounds to crack the puzzle so Canelo would always have time to execute his plan and he did. You make it seem like Canelo only needed to show up which it's false. He executed his plan and was able to complete a very smart fight as the result confirmed. Plus, Glass chin or not that punch has proven to be devastating to many others.

Leunam

They're going to frame the GGG/Canelo fight negotiations in a way that De La Hoya can say that they tried to make the fight happen and GGGs camp said no to their terms, Canelos favored 155 made up weight limit. He wants people to think he honestly wanted to please the fans, but he's just protecting his golden goose. Instead he's going to go for a rematch with Cotto, another small 'middleweight,' or try and make a fight with Lemieux.

Canelo should not be defending a 160 belt at 155 against a 147 pounder. Absolutely ridiculous that this fight even got made. Canelo is a good boxer, but I don't like how he's playing along with Oscars game here. Fuck them both.

BadAss2961

They're going to frame the GGG/Canelo fight negotiations in a way that De La Hoya can say that they tried to make the fight happen and GGGs camp said no to their terms, Canelos favored 155 made up weight limit. He wants people to think he honestly wanted to please the fans, but he's just protecting his golden goose. Instead he's going to go for a rematch with Cotto, another small 'middleweight,' or try and make a fight with Lemieux.

Canelo should not be defending a 160 belt at 155 against a 147 pounder. Absolutely ridiculous that this fight even got made. Canelo is a good boxer, but I don't like how he's playing along with Oscars game here. Fuck them both.
I think you're right, all the way down to a fight with Lemieux before GGG.

Found out this morning that the judges had Canelo ahead on two cards before the knockout, come on son.

Edit: Also agreeing with the folks saying Canelo/GGG won't happen for another couple years, fuck Oscar

Found out this morning that the judges had Canelo ahead on two cards before the knockout, come on son.

Edit: Also agreeing with the folks saying Canelo/GGG won't happen for another couple years, fuck Oscar

How is that wrong considering that Canelo landed more punches than Khan in rounds 3-5?

I admit I didn't know much about Khan, but reading more about him he definitely sounds like a good dude.

When he is not in the ring busting heads, Khan helps to build orphanages in developing nations. He volunteers all over the world, aiding victims affected by natural disasters and refugees in poverty.
The violent acts of extremist organizations like the Islamic State inspire Khan to adopt his place as an unofficial religious ambassador for Islam, preaching a message of tolerance and inclusiveness.

“It upsets me because I want people to know that all Muslims are not bad,” Khan said.
“It is upsetting when you hear someone running for president like Donald Trump, coming out with remarks like, ‘Muslims are bad people and they should not be allowed in America.’ We live in a very tough world,” Khan said. “There are people who happen to be Muslim that did harmful things. But what about the good Muslims, like me? We live in America. We work in America. We entertain millions of people around the world. How could Donald Trump turn around and say I shouldn’t be allowed in this country? I bring nations together. Maybe Donald Trump should come to a fight. When he sees how Muslims, Pakistanis, British, Mexican and American people come together, he’ll be amazed.”
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...le-model?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool

Too bad he lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom