• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cannon Films is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aku-Audi

Press Release said:
Back in the 1980’s, The Cannon Group Inc., was one of the World’s biggest independent motion picture studios, obtaining various film institutions such as Thorn EMI Cinemas, Elstree Studios and the Pathe Film Library, before it was folded into MGM Studios in the mid-1990’s. The studio, under the leadership of Israeli movie producer Menahem Golan, enjoyed productive relationships with movie stars such as Chuck Norris, Charles Bronson, Richard Chamberlain, Franco Nero & Sylvester Stallone.

The company also attracted visionary filmmakers such as John Cassavetes, Barbet Schroeder and Andrei Konchalovsky and created some of the most distinctive films ever made. Relationships such as these, coupled with projects with broad-based commercial appeal, resulted in the production of some of the best remembered movies of the 1980’s including the number 1 box office films, Invasion U.S.A and Death Wish 3.

CANNON TODAY

Cannon Films Ltd was founded in 2014 by Richard Albiston, after spending years under the guidance of the Cannon Group Inc.’s former CEO and Chairman, Menahem Golan.

Today, the company is proud to enforce the ideals of Menahem Golan, putting the artist first and enabling them to have the freedom to create their vision, their way; a unique approach that is not found anywhere else in the industry today.

Cannon Films Ltd has developed successful working relationships worldwide with companies operating in over fifteen countries. Together their mission is to produce new and original motion pictures for a 21st century audience.

A new slate of movies is on the horizon including America Ninja Apprentice, Return of The Delta Force, U.S. Sniper and more…

http://www.cannon-films.com/

Well, atleast it's following in the tradition of Cannon of old to cash in on unnecessary sequels. If they can bring back MIchael Dudikoff into the world of cinema then I won't complain, that dude deserved way better.

For anyone unfamiliar with Cannon Films, they did all those wonderful American Ninja movies, Death Wish 3, Breakin and many other "great" action movies of the 80's. Watch the Electric Bogaloo documentary, it's fantastic.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Well, atleast it's following in the tradition of Cannon of old to cash in on unnecessary sequels. If they can bring back MIchael Dudikoff into the world of cinema then I won't complain, that dude deserved way better.

For anyone unfamiliar with Cannon Films, they did all those wonderful American Ninja movies, Death Wish 3, Breakin and many other "great" action movies of the 80's. Watch the Electric Bogaloo documentary, it's fantastic.

He got what he deserved.

Cardon

Just watched the Electric Bogaloo documentary and man that was trippy as hell. Remember watching some of those Cannon films as a kid, like when I was 4 or 5, so it was fun to see those pop up and learn about the inner workings of the studio.

Here's hoping this new iteration of Cannon isn't a quick one and done effort. Should be interesting to see how things develop and if folks take it seriously.

Jamie OD

I think The Asylum has taken its spot as the movie industry's king of schlock. Cannon really needs to dig deep into the abyss to reclaim its throne.

Just watched the Electric Bogaloo documentary and man that was trippy as hell. Remember watching some of those Cannon films as a kid, like when I was 4 or 5, so it was fun to see those pop up and learn about the inner workings of the studio.

Here's hoping this new iteration of Cannon isn't a quick one and done effort. Should be interesting to see how things develop and if folks take it seriously.

Did not realize that doc was on Netflix until just now. Looking forward to it!

This and Corolco are iconinc for the 80's amnd 90's.

cannon-films-logo-o.gif

-uJPxs.gif

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Carolco was the friggin' bees knees back in the day.

does New Cannon even have rights to their old titles anymore? The careful wording of 'American Ninja Apprentice' and 'The Return of Delta Force' leads me to believe they do not.

and holy crap, we actually live in a world where Death Wish 3 was for a time the most popular movie in America. That's kinda nutty.

There's a documentary on Netflix about this studio and it's so incredibly amazing. I cannot believe they survived as long as they did with the sheer amount of crap they turned out.

Other classics they did: Over the Top and Masters of the Universe

harSon

Banned
It's not going to be the same.

What made Canon Films awesome was the ridiculously fast turnaround time from conceptualizing to release, the absurd amount of films they were putting out per year, the culture of Canon under Menahem and the fact that it wasn't trying to be anything but itself.

I don't see it being any different than the current wave of films attempting to be intentionally bad/ridiculous, and going out of their way to recapture the 80s/early 90s.

If this doesn't become a factory for low budget Scott Adkins action flicks, it will be nothing short of a missed opportunity.

YuShtink

It's not going to be the same.

What made Canon Films awesome was the ridiculously fast turnaround time from conceptualizing to release, the absurd amount of films they were putting out per year, the culture of Canon under Menahem and the fact that it wasn't trying to be anything but itself.

I don't see it being any different than the current wave of films attempting to be intentionally bad/ridiculous, and going out of their way to recapture the 80s/early 90s.

Yea the difference between the legit classic stuff and the new homage style stuff was that back then they legitimately thought that what they were making was good. It wasn't trying to be bad. That conviction is what made all those shitty movies so fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom