• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't save PSX games on PS2 memory cards?

Socreges

Banned
I got Final Fantasy Tactics a very, very long time ago. Played it a small bit and soon dropped it in favour of another game. Today I brushed off the dust and fired it up. Took it through training and then started a game. Now I'm at a point where I can save... only I can't. "Memory card is not properly inserted". In other words, I need a PSX memory card, which I don't have, to save the game?

...why would they do that?

Btw, FFT is looking to be extremely good right now. The tutorial was interesting.

neptunes

where have you been?

but you can archive them on a ps2 mem card through the memory card manager.

you just can't save to them directly

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
You can only "save" PSX saves to a PS2 memory card......the PS2 won't access them. This is due to the fact that the PS2 uses a different saving encryption system backed by the Sony's proprietary MagicGate Technology.

So, you need a PSX memory card to save PSX games when played on a PS2.

It's a side effect from the Magicgate protection system. A PS2 game has to specifically support non-Magicgate saving methods.

As a result:

1. To save PS1 saves to a PS2 card or HDD, you need to save to a PS1 card first, and then use the PS2 browser to copy the saves over later.

2. To save PS2 saves to the HDD, you need to save to the memory card first, and then use the PS2 browser to copy the files over later (except in a few rare occasions where the HDD is recognized).

3. For a PS1 or PS2 game to recognize saves, they need to be loaded off the appropriate memory card, which means copying them back using the browser if you didn't do so already.

neptunes

On a peace-keeping mission in Sierra Leone. What? Are you making fun of me?
I stand corrected ;)

but yeah, you can always ty Blockbuster they have $5 dollar memory cards that work fine.

(and is still working for me today ;))

TheDiave

Banned
Final Fantasy Tactics is a classic... It remains one of my favorite PSOne games. It's a shame the GBA Tactics was a tad bit on the dull side. :(

Top Bottom