• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom appreciation Thread! The Upcoming game lineup (56k no)

killer7_091603_09.JPG
killer7_091603_10.JPG

shadow-of-rome-20040511110551456.jpg
shadowrome_012904_05.jpg

under-the-skin-20040511111810147.jpg
undertheskin_043004_07_1083349489.jpg
under-the-skin-20040511111809287.jpg

tim-burtons-the-nightmare-before-christmas-20040513030827108.jpg
tim-burtons-the-nightmare-before-christmas-20040513030824406.jpg
nightmarexmas_012904_art_07.jpg

monsterhunter_031604_07_1079492684.jpg
monsterhunter_030404_05.jpg

devil-may-cry-3-20040512094249937.jpg
devil-may-cry-3-20040630052613955.jpg

resident-evil-4-20040604112807822.jpg
re4trailer_033004_x23_1080689593.jpg
re4trailer_033004_x3_1080689594.jpg

viewtiful-joe-2-20040602111906644.jpg
viewtifuljoe2_042604_003.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Capcom is my favorite. They are the makers of the majority of the games I will be buying over the next year.

No Street Fighter Collection? Mega Man Mission Command? I'm gonna kill you!

But damn, because of you DCharlie I want Monster Hunter bad.

Dice

YES, get Monster Hunter. We've been beta testing it, trust me it will be the sleeper hit of the year! Everyone is looking forward to their Halo 2 and getting pissed over the RE4 delay and they're going to let great things pass them by!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"YES, get Monster Hunter. We've been beta testing it, trust me it will be the sleeper hit of the year!"

how is the beta going? How far you get?

nitewulf

im hoping DMC3 will kick ass, it looks great. what exactly is monster hunter? and what about that cell shaded rpg they had coming?

Dice

I haven't played it much cause I haven't been playing games that much overall, but my brother has played it a lot more than me and I've watched him. It's really cool, it's like PSO but with dinosaurs and much more strategy. The beta ends at the end of the month here so I plan on really diving in before our time is up, I'll give more detailed thoughts after that.

If you focus on the Street Fighter series you might conclude that the following is untrue: Capcom is one of the biggest risk takers in the industry. They don't risk having to support thier own hardware, true, but in the recent years they have come out with a myriad of strange game designs. Of course, not all of these gambles pay off for them, but the desgins themselves are still noteworthy.

Cell shaded racer: Auto Modellista
Creating a new style of 3D action: Devil May Cry
Bringing 2D platform play back to modern consoles: Viewtiful Joe
Massively Re-designing a cash-cow series: Resident Evil 4
Keeping the action hard: Viewtiful, Maximo
Simply bizarre game design: P.N. 03, Killer 7
The best specialty controller ever: Steel Battalion
Plain being stubborn for purists: Street Fighter

If you compare Capcom's moves to any similar sized developer\publisher, they all look like they are playing it safe. (except SEGA)

nitewulf

Dice said:
I haven't played it much cause I haven't been playing games that much overall, but my brother has played it a lot more than me and I've watched him. It's really cool, it's like PSO but with dinosaurs and much more strategy. The beta ends at the end of the month here so I plan on really diving in before our time is up, I'll give more detailed thoughts after that.

wait so its a multiplayer online rpg then?

Dice

wait so its a multiplayer online rpg then?
No, because online RPG's consist of nothing more than boringly beasting lesser enemies until you build up enough levels to beast the enemy in boring fashion. There aren't any levels in Monster Hunter, you just need to get better weapons/armor and much more importantly use strategy. I mentioned PSO because of it's mission focus and it's more reliant on equipment and strategy than other MMORPG's (a genre Monster Hunter is not in)

monsterhunter_031604_11_1079492685.jpg

Are you hunting or being hunted? Your strategy and skill determine that.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
wow, nightmare before christmas actually looks really good. i'd hardly noticed that game at all.

DCharlie

"I haven't played it much cause I haven't been playing games that much overall, but my brother has played it a lot more than me and I've watched him. It's really cool, it's like PSO but with dinosaurs and much more strategy. The beta ends at the end of the month here so I plan on really diving in before our time is up, I'll give more detailed thoughts after that."

I have it (well, the JPN version) and have played the crap out of it - but i've been a bit slack in getting my HR 13 , even though we've actually completed the emergency level quest for a couple of people.

I've been taking it quite leasurely and helping people out.

I have my "clumps" now, but none of them make the right Dragon Killer weapon that i want. Boo. :(

Anyon have any hands-on opinions for Shadow of Rome? I didn't get a chance to play it at E3 =(

I am looking forword to Viewtiful Joe 2, DMC3, RE4...maybe SF AC, even though I suck at StreetFighter games....

I think I want Monster Hunter more than anything else right now.

Then Devil May Cry 3 and Shadow of Rome.
Nightmare before Christmas looks like a nice one too.

I played Under the Skin and it's pretty fun. I might get that too.

Dice

DCharlie said:
I have it (well, the JPN version) and have played the crap out of it - but i've been a bit slack in getting my HR 13 , even though we've actually completed the emergency level quest for a couple of people.

I've been taking it quite leasurely and helping people out.

I have my "clumps" now, but none of them make the right Dragon Killer weapon that i want. Boo. :(
So it doesn't cost anything to play online (like RE Outbreak)?

DCharlie

980 yen (9$ a month) for the KDDI service.

that covers all Capcom games though.

"Are you hunting or being hunted? Your strategy and skill determine that."

Ps. what are the names of the dragons in the US version? The chicken looking thing is called Yankookoo, and it's punk ass is slice and diced in under 2 minutes with our usual party.

Capcom's lineup this year is stellar. I don't know how you could hate on this company when they put out stuff like Onimusha 3, Mega Man Collection, Zero 3, SF Ann Coll, etc etc. And then to top it off Killer 7, Rome and RE4 are all promising tites that show the company has what it takes to draw in new fans.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ah damn, I bet Monster Hunter broke the PS2 60 fps cycle too. :p

So far, outside of MH, there have only been about 2 Capcom PS2 titles that didn't run at 60 fps and one was a Dreamcast port. Great track record, if you ask me.

Dice

dark10x said:
Ah damn, I bet Monster Hunter broke the PS2 60 fps cycle too. :p

So far, outside of MH, there have only been about 2 Capcom PS2 titles that didn't run at 60 fps and one was a Dreamcast port. Great track record, if you ask me.
Yeah, it's an incredibly solid 30fps. But you can't really ask a game this beautiful to run 60fps, not on PS2 anyway.

Top Bottom