• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Car insurance coverage question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAOHMARU

I'm getting my new car here pretty soon so I will need to get insurance.

Since my car is new, should I get comprehensive to cover theft, fire ect?

Also should I get collision to cover for damage or loss of the car? What exactly is this for...if I get in an accident and it is my fault the insurance will cover for it?

Finally, what is a good dollar amount for liability coverage? I'm looking at 100K/300K bodily injury and 50K property damage. My old man said he always gets the most coverage he can get for liability...what do you guys think?

Doth Togo

- Since my car is new, should I get comprehensive to cover theft, fire ect?

Yes. Not so much fire, but theft.

- Also should I get collision to cover for damage or loss of the car? What exactly is this for...if I get in an accident and it is my fault the insurance will cover for it?

Yes, by all means get collision and loss of car use. It means that if you hit someone or they hit you...you'll be covered. They'll probably pay for your rental car if you wrecked. Your deductible should be $250. Trust me. Really...trust me. I learned the hard way this past week about deductibles when I needed it at $250 and mine is currently at $500. It's only $6 more a month on State Farm to have $250 deductible. It's worth every cent.

Your old man is right. 100K/300K bodily injury and 50K property damage is above average. I'd say you'll be good to go with this.

I live in Washington DC, and a 6 month policy cost me $620 for a 2002 VW Passat GLX 4motion. In Charlotte, NC where I used to live, it was $750 for a year for the same policy. All in all it depends on where you live. Get the best you can afford. Peace of mind is worth it.

Also...a little side item that you may look into... If you're of age to rent a car...find out if your policy covers you renting a car. I was on a trip in Minneapolis last fall when an old granny slammed on her brakes and I hit her bumper. Most car insurance policies have some type of rental car coverage, but make sure you have that. It's good to have. It also acts as a suppliment to you renting a car and choosing a type of insurance policy with the rental car company.

Reputable insurance firms I've used or had family use:

State Farm
Travelers (they rock)
Allstate
The Hartford

Geiko sucks monkey balls. They're awful. Cheap, but awful.

HAOHMARU

I was actually looking at Geico...what is wrong with them? I used their car insurance a few years ago and never had any problems.

Doth Togo

Someone I know tried to file a $1,500 claim with them and they wouldn't represent them. Turned into a small claims court issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom