• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Car scratch repair question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad

About a month or so ago, our car got keyed. Unfortunately, this was no little scratch, but a pair of really long scratches, running the length of the car on both sides. While our insurance will cover it, we've still got the $500 deductable to worry about, and while I can understand that a professional paint place has to blend the paint and all that, we were looking into maybe covering it up ourselves. The scratch isn't overly deep or anything, it's just long.

The main thing we're looking at is this product , combined with some touch up paint from the dealer, so it's a good match. Now, while the repair kit looks good in theory, I was wondering if anybody has had experience with stuff like this. We're not looking for it to be absolutely perfect, just enough so that you can't see it from >5 feet away, like you can now. Is this sort of thing a "good enough" solution compared to taking it to a professional body shop, or is the end result likely to look like we spent around $30 to fix the problem instead of doing it right?

golem

people who key cars should be shot.

if you can see it from more than 5 feet away.. i am assuming they took out a good chunk of your clearcoat and paint... then you'll probably want a professional repair. depending on how much work is involved you may be able to get it done for less than your deductable, thus avoiding your insurance company alltogether

Vlad

I've taken the car to three different places for quotes so far, and the lowest quote we got was around $1500, which to me screams "hey, we know you're probably going to use your insurance for this, so we'll just get as much as we can from them".

On the other hand, the scratches are rather long. The one on the driver's side actually goes from the hood all the way to the back of the car, crossing both doors on the way. The one on the passenger's side doesn't go all the way back, but still gets the front side of the car, as well as both doors.

It just seems to me that the kit I linked to would work well, in theory, due to the fact that it comes with some sort of filling putty that you can use to fill the scratch in before painting it. Of course, it was most likely designed for scratches that are less than five feet long :(

Scoobert

Those kits don't work. The can never match the color of your car so you end up with a line different from the color of your car. Usually it becomes more noticeable than the actual scratch. Those things are a waste of money. I would just bite the $500 bullet. Hope the scratch isn't too deep and rusts starts appearing, then you're in real trouble.

Vlad

Scoobert said:
Those kits don't work. The can never match the color of your car so you end up with a line different from the color of your car. Usually it becomes more noticeable than the actual scratch. Those things are a waste of money. I would just bite the $500 bullet. Hope the scratch isn't too deep and rusts starts appearing, then you're in real trouble.

Well, the thing is, I was planning on using touch up paint supplied by the car manufacturer, which, in theory, should match the color of the car exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom