• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Card City Nights |OT| Collectable Card Game from the makers of Ittle Dew

Card Boy

Banned
capsule_467x181.jpg

Developer: Ludosity (Ittle Dew)
Platform: Steam, iOS and Android
Price: $3.99 on PC, $1.99 on Android and iOS.
Genre: Collectable Card Game
When: Out now!
Where: Steam link, Android link, iOS link

YhoRE.png

Card City Nights is an adventure through a city filled with card-nuts and lunatics. You will Battle for the 8 legendary cards to enter the biggest competition the city has seen yet.

Card City Nights plays like a cross between Tetra Master and Magic: The Gathering, except both players play on their own respective board. Players have an 3x3 grid and each card has a certain type (attack, defense, revive and neutral). You have cards with an arrow on them pointing in certain directions, and linking or placing these cards will allow you to use the ability or an effect. To win conditions a Card City Nights card battle requires you to get your opponents life down to 0 or to stop them from making any more moves.

KRy.png

• Over 180 unique cards with characters from the Ludosity universe
  • There are no IAP's in this game! You collect booster packs by simply playing the adventure from start to finish.
  • Story based TCG
  • 8 to 10 hour campaign
  • Achievements
  • Steam cards
Note

The game currently has no multiplayer but could be added if the game does well enough.

dMvhs.png

Trailer
TotalBiscuit WTF is Card City Nights

RcxTF.png

This looks neat, and I need something to keep me busy until my import copy of Bravely Default ships. I'll probably get this tomorrow with some leftover steam card money (how appropriate) and post some impressions here (no promises).

derExperte

Blindly bought this and Girls Like Robots, you gotta love all these small surprise releases especially when they get the price right.

Card Boy

Banned
Bought it not bad for $2, it has a good enough story for a TCG and is better than the current modern offerings at least. The game itself is sort of like Tetra Master but on a 3x3 board and each player has a board, it makes more sense when looking at the screenshot in the OP. You link cards up to form combos and the cards have different effects. There are 4 types of cards swords cause damage, shields again health (or Armour if you prefer), medic symbol cards revive other cards and yellow circle stuff are neutrals some of which have effects or are used as bridging cards.

Also heres what the developer said about MP.

sxE3q.png

ZeroX03

Banned
Love card game RPGs, used to play Pokemon TCG and SNK's CFC all the time... but man those graphics are putting me off. Really ugly stuff IMO.

CCN also has one of the greatest soundtracks ever created for a game, with an amazing blend of Jazz and Hiphop!

Really humble dev too...

I loved Ittle Dew and like the artstyle so seeing it in a card game is pretty cool. I picked this up and while the card game is really simple I've hit a small wall early on. Building your deck requires more attention/strategy then you might think given how straight forward the game is. After my first loss I shuffled a few cards around, and then proceeded to lose even worse once I realized how poorly I set up my deck. Of course, I could just be tackling the characters in the wrong order.

All the stuff surrounding the card game isn't as fully realized as I would have liked. I know its a $4 game (or $2 right now) but still. I wish I could walk around more or talk to more characters

ZeroX03

Banned
Ended up picking this anyway... still hate the graphics. Paid $2 and ended up getting a foil drop, so selling that on the marketplace got my money back lol.

Soundtrack is okay but definitely not "one of the greatest ever". I turned it off after a few hours. The constant best of 3/5 battles are annoying, and when trying to grind out boosters it's always better to just versus the weakest person for quick wins, especially if they're only best of 1. The game itself seems pretty broken, I'm five legendaries in and I've basically just built entirely aggressive. If the opponent is going attack/defense I just disable them until they can't place a card or if they're going (anti-)disable I just rush them. Haven't lost. It's good for $2, though not much more.

Card Boy

Banned
Card City Nights just go updated with free end game Card Gods DLC where you fight characters with Beta Cards, the update also allows you to rematch Legendary Card players.

batbeg

Just blindly bought with the hope of loving it. Haven't played a CCG since Pokemon TCG, but I've been wanting to find one on android that didn't have IAP and hey, whaddyaknow

Marcel

Isn't Steamworks with multiplayer matchmaking free to developers? I might be wrong about this but multiplayer seems like kind of a silly omission for this type of game (unless I'm misunderstanding the terms of Steamworks).

huh didn't know this was on other platforms. got this on ios when its a buck. Had fun for the little bit i played, game does seem like it get quite complex with rotating and moving cards.

couldn't beat like the 3rd guy though lol. His 'stall' deck is super annoying :X

Aaron

IOS was a late release. I beat the third guy by stunning his center card, and letting him fill up his board.

Qvoth

yeah i'm using a disabling deck, sooooo OP
didn't really change my deck until i reached the bear miner's explosion wife, and i only changed by taking out some cards that were kinda unnecessary

if you're having a difficulty with the game, try disabling deck
fill your decks with attack cards and yellow neutral icon cards that have 3 different directional arrows
defense cards aren't really necessary

always disable opponent's cards rather than attacking their life with this deck

Okamid3n

Just beat the game, it was really fun! I have to agree that disabling decks are the way to go on most battles, although for some other fights, it was easier to just rush the opponent's life to zero. Bear Miner's wife was the only one that beat me, and twice at that, but there were more than a few very close calls in the game, so I'm happy with the level of challenge.

I think it would've been interesting to have a little rule tweaking where being unable to play a card didn't result in instant-loss. Perhaps, when a board is full, a random card could be removed, allowing the player to play in that spot. As it is, disabling a full board worked too well.

Anyhow, between this game and Ittle Dew, I really like this developer so far and will be keeping an eye on their future projects.

Renpatsu

This game has been on my radar ever since this thread was made and someone mentioned the similarities to Triple Triad so I finally picked it up during the Steam sales and have been playing it for the past few days.

I have to echo the other posters here and instinctively structured my deck around disabling (which does seem a little imbalanced, against AI at least) with the addition of cards that discard the opponents deck so that the war of attrition eventually ends their own shield points.

Some of the AI deck strategies revolving around revive do a good job of being slightly more difficult, but then that war of attrition gets them in the end anyway.

Haven't finished the game yet, probably close to the end though.

Top Bottom